News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Changing Control Cities

Started by OCGuy81, October 05, 2011, 10:20:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott5114

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 30, 2021, 12:09:48 PM
Quote from: StogieGuy7 on April 30, 2021, 11:41:59 AM
Hahaha! Just reading the last 24 hours of this thread and am thoroughly entertained!  :-D

Obviously, Pittsburgh belongs as a control city on signs along I-76, I-79, and even I-70 to the east of it's divergence from the PA Turnpike. Why? Because that's the way a motorist would need to travel in order to get there.  The fact that those interstates don't enter the city proper doesn't matter - that's the route you travel to reach the correct exit to get to that place. This is the concept and it's fairly simple.

As for the Pittsburgh argument, I have to take the position of a rabid moderate: I found it to be a weird place with a nice and clean downtown but with really oddly configured neighborhoods and suburbs. Some of it was very dumpy, some of it just old and crowded, some nice.  But all strange to me. That said, Cranberry Twp has a lot of stuff and should be signed where appropriate.

Lastly, you lost me on the "Pittsburgh sucks" argument when you said that Baltimore is better. That's laughable.  Baltimore is not better - Baltimore is a real pit, and has been since at least 1969 (earliest I remember how it was driving through there). Whatever issues you had with Pittsburgh, I can assure you that they would've been 5 times worse in an equivalent part of Baltimore.
I think that he had a bad personal experience in Pittsburgh.

No shit?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 30, 2021, 12:09:48 PM
Hahaha! Just reading the last 24 hours of this thread and am thoroughly entertained!  :-D

Obviously, Pittsburgh belongs as a control city on signs along I-76, I-79, and even I-70 to the east of it's divergence from the PA Turnpike. Why? Because that's the way a motorist would need to travel in order to get there.  The fact that those interstates don't enter the city proper doesn't matter - that's the route you travel to reach the correct exit to get to that place. This is the concept and it's fairly simple.

As for the Pittsburgh argument, I have to take the position of a rabid moderate: I found it to be a weird place with a nice and clean downtown but with really oddly configured neighborhoods and suburbs. Some of it was very dumpy, some of it just old and crowded, some nice.  But all strange to me. That said, Cranberry Twp has a lot of stuff and should be signed where appropriate.

Lastly, you lost me on the "Pittsburgh sucks" argument when you said that Baltimore is better. That's laughable.  Baltimore is not better - Baltimore is a real pit, and has been since at least 1969 (earliest I remember how it was driving through there). Whatever issues you had with Pittsburgh, I can assure you that they would've been 5 times worse in an equivalent part of Baltimore.
I think that he had a bad personal experience in Pittsburgh.

Or maybe it was such a good experience that he (presumably) wants Pittsburgh all to himself?

jaehak

Pittsburgh is a fine city. Baltimore is a fine city. Also - 70 west in Baltimore should have Pittsburgh as its control. Frederick, Hagerstown, Hancock, Breezewood, New Stanton, Washington PA - none of these are control city worthy. However, on the Changing Control City tip, there are no roads in Pittsburgh that should reciprocate and sign Baltimore (nor are there).

Scott5114

I don't know about Pittsburgh on I-70 out of Baltimore–I-70 itself doesn't get all that close to Pittsburgh, though it connects to a lot of highways that do. And some percentage of traffic is on I-70 to get to Ohio and isn't all that interested in Pittsburgh anyway.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: jaehak on April 30, 2021, 03:46:08 PM
Pittsburgh is a fine city. Baltimore is a fine city. Also - 70 west in Baltimore should have Pittsburgh as its control. Frederick, Hagerstown, Hancock, Breezewood, New Stanton, Washington PA - none of these are control city worthy. However, on the Changing Control City tip, there are no roads in Pittsburgh that should reciprocate and sign Baltimore (nor are there).
Eh I-70 is a bit to far from Pittsburgh to justify signing it that far away.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

The Nature Boy

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 30, 2021, 05:15:40 PM

I would sign Pittsburgh, at least as a secondary control city, west of I-270 though. It's the next major city beyond that intersection.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: The Nature Boy on April 30, 2021, 08:05:23 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 30, 2021, 05:15:40 PM

I would sign Pittsburgh, at least as a secondary control city, west of I-270 though. It's the next major city beyond that intersection.
Maybe at important junctions.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

hobsini2

Perhaps he is a disgruntled Ravens fan who hates the Steelers? Just spit ballin here.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: hobsini2 on May 08, 2021, 10:07:06 PM

Perhaps he is a disgruntled Ravens fan who hates the Steelers? Just spit ballin here.
He's from Winchester. And he claims to have lived in Pittsburgh.

Flint1979

Quote from: hobsini2 on May 08, 2021, 10:07:06 PM

I think he had a bad experience in Pittsburgh and is taking it out on the entire city or I guess metro area since I've seen him bashing some Pittsburgh suburbs too. I've been to Pittsburgh a few times not too often but I've been there enough and it doesn't seem like that bad of a city just kind of a strange town I think I saw someone else say that too and I kind of felt that as well that times I've been there. I don't know really what to say about Pittsburgh but I don't really have anything bad to say about it. I thought the ride in on I-376 from Monroeville there was a stretch through there before you got to the tunnel that I didn't think was too safe but it might be fine and that's Wilkinsburg. Otherwise I guess I don't know enough about the Pittsburgh area but I just find it as a strange city. It's not any worse than any other city of it's size though that I've been to.

bing101

I-605 in Los Angeles County should have Duarte at its northbound control and Seal Beach at its southbound control city.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: bing101 on May 11, 2021, 12:48:04 PM
I-605 in Los Angeles County should have Duarte at its north end and Seal Beach at its south end.
I would sign Los Angeles going north until I-5.

Roadgeekteen

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.