News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Question about bumping threads

Started by CoreySamson, June 03, 2020, 11:36:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CoreySamson

I'm just wondering what the official forum standard is on bumping threads. On one hand, when you try to bump a thread, the forum gives a warning message, but on the other hand, I see a lot of "this was talked about in a previous thread" posts when a new forum member starts a topic. Does someone know the official protocol on this? Thanks in advance.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

kphoger

"Bumping topics (responding to a post older than 120 days) is highly discouraged. Topics should only be bumped if there is new and relevant information to add (such as a old topic on a proposed construction project, where construction has recently begun). Simply posting the word "Bump"  (or something similar) to force a topic to the top of a page will force a newer and potentially more relevant topic to drop from the first page of the forum. Continued abuse can lead to your posting privileges being curtailed or suspended."

[cf Forum Guidelines]
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

CoreySamson

Quote from: kphoger on June 03, 2020, 11:39:29 AM
"Bumping topics (responding to a post older than 120 days) is highly discouraged. Topics should only be bumped if there is new and relevant information to add (such as a old topic on a proposed construction project, where construction has recently begun). Simply posting the word "Bump"  (or something similar) to force a topic to the top of a page will force a newer and potentially more relevant topic to drop from the first page of the forum. Continued abuse can lead to your posting privileges being curtailed or suspended."

[cf Forum Guidelines]

Ok, thanks.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

kphoger

Basically, don't necro-post in a dead topic with something like "cool" or "no doubt" or whatever.  Only revive it if you have an actual idea to contribute.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

1995hoo

I recently bumped a thread that had seen no new posts in some ten years. The reason for bumping it is that my comment was directly on-point for what had been discussed there and I didn't think it made sense to start a new thread. Nobody seemed to have a problem with my doing that:

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=3857.msg2484271#msg2484271

I think the general idea is to try to search to see if a topic has been discussed; if it has, and your point is reasonably on-topic for an existing discussion, post there (and acknowledge why you're bumping an old thread if you think someone might object). Thankfully, this forum doesn't have people who tend to use "cute" or misleading subject lines about something and then scream "we already have a thread" when someone else starts a thread with a more on-topic subject line. Another I forum I used to frequent suffered from that problem and it got tiresome very quickly.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kphoger

Also, if a member knows of one or more threads already devoted to the topic and posts that in a reply, it's generally not meant to be mean or to imply you did something wrong.  Usually, it's just either a request to merge the threads or else further reference for you to look at.  I can't remember an argument ever erupting on here about bumping vs starting a new topic.
Male pronouns, please.

hotdogPi

Quote from: kphoger on June 03, 2020, 11:53:08 AM
I can't remember an argument ever erupting on here about bumping vs starting a new topic.

This one was actually about me.

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=10156
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

hbelkins

To me, bumping a thread with new and pertinent information or commentary is better than starting a new thread. I bumped a couple that had been long dormant recently because I had something relevant to add to the discussion. I searched to see if we already had a thread on the topics, and lo and behold, we did.

Yep, if you start a new thread that echoes something we've already discussed, you'll invariably get a "we already have a thread on that" comment, and often a request for the mods to merge the threads.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Max Rockatansky

I do it all the time in Pacific Southwest when there is something new about a highway.  It's better than having a million different threads about a single road such as US 101 or CA 1.

webny99

I think "highly discouraged" is pretty strong language compared to the actual moderation, which seems to be fairly laid back in this regard. There's a lot of middle ground between giving a full-fledged, breaking news project update, and saying something like "Bump!" just for fun. In most cases, it is preferred to use an existing thread if there is one - that is, the line is much, much closer to the "Bump" end of the spectrum. You'd have to post a real nothingburger before anyone will notice or think twice about it.

webny99

Come to think of it...
Quote from: kphoger on June 03, 2020, 11:39:29 AM
"Bumping topics (responding to a post older than 120 days) is highly discouraged."
[cf Forum Guidelines]

I can't help but wonder if the original post of a thread is meant to be an exception to that rule. Basically, don't quote something more than 120 days old (reviving an old argument or specific conversation), but if you're responding directly to an OP or question asked in the thread title, then you're fine.
Wow, I can't believe I've never noticed or thought of that distinction until now. It all makes so much more sense in that light.

kphoger

Quote from: 1 on June 03, 2020, 11:54:18 AM

Quote from: kphoger on June 03, 2020, 11:53:08 AM
I can't remember an argument ever erupting on here about bumping vs starting a new topic.

This one was actually about me.

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=10156

Ah, I remember that now.

There are some really good tips and bits of advice in that thread, too.
Male pronouns, please.

tolbs17

When to see when someone is last active?

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: tolbs17 on December 19, 2020, 05:30:21 PM
Funny how you bumped this thread
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

hotdogPi

It's on their profile. If you want to see the day/time of their most recent post, click "Show Posts".
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

tolbs17

Quote from: 1 on December 19, 2020, 08:29:00 PM

It's on their profile. If you want to see the day/time of their most recent post, click "Show Posts".
Yes, but you can tell by looking at the "Last Login".

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: tolbs17 on December 20, 2020, 06:25:48 PM

Yes, but you can tell my looking at the "Last Login".

What does it matter when someone has logged in last?

tolbs17

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 20, 2020, 06:30:36 PM

If it's not from YEARS ago. I think it's ok to bump an old thread. like the Pics in threads one.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: tolbs17 on December 20, 2020, 06:36:55 PM

If it's not from YEARS ago. I think it's ok to bump an old thread. like the Pics in threads one.

Usually I'll try to bump the oldest thread on any particular topic if I can find one if I have something new to add.  The trouble in the General Board is that searching for older topic threads is difficult at times given the search feature isn't really well suited for it.

mrsman

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 20, 2020, 06:43:07 PM
Quote from: tolbs17 on December 20, 2020, 06:36:55 PM

Usually I'll try to bump the oldest thread on any particular topic if I can find one if I have something new to add.  The trouble in the General Board is that searching for older topic threads is difficult at times given the search feature isn't really well suited for it.

It's also very easy to get lost and behind on the general board.  I'm hoping some time off during the approaching holidays will help me get caught up there.  I'm still reading posts from April!

1995hoo

I'd guess that part of the reason for asking people to use caution in quoting an old post is because the person doing the quoting may be expecting the other person to reply–if, say, the reason for quoting is to ask for clarification or the like–without realizing that the person who made the comment may no longer be paying attention to that thread or may not even be active on the forum anymore.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

vdeane

Quote from: mrsman on December 22, 2020, 07:59:41 AM
It's also very easy to get lost and behind on the general board.  I'm hoping some time off during the approaching holidays will help me get caught up there.  I'm still reading posts from April!
That is certainly true.  I always try to carve out at least some time for checking the forum every day, as the consequences of not doing so are a mountain of posts too high to get through.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

rickmastfan67

If you look to the left, you can also see when the person was last active on the forum without having to go to their profile.

kphoger

Replying to an ancient post is a more worthwhile effort if you can determine the user is still active on the site.  If he hasn't logged on in three years, then maybe just don't reply.
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.