News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Jersey barrier height

Started by CentralPAGal, October 26, 2014, 09:31:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CentralPAGal

I've noticed that sometimes, even after new construction or reconstruction, the shorter Jersey barriers are used for medians, sometimes in conjunction with the taller ones. I would think that designers would want to use the taller ones (more able to deflect large trucks, less headlight glare from oncoming traffic, etc), but maybe I'm just crazy. Is there a reasoning to how the height of jersey barriers are selected for projects?
Clinched:
I: 83, 97, 176, 180 (PA), 270 (MD), 283, 395 (MD), 470 (OH-WV), 471, 795 (MD)
Traveled:
I: 70, 71, 75, 76 (E), 78, 79, 80, 81, 86 (E), 95, 99, 270 (OH), 275 (KY-IN-OH), 376, 495 (MD-VA), 579, 595 (MD), 695 (MD)
US: 1, 9, 11, 13, 15, 22, 25, 30, 40, 42, 50, 113, 119, 127, 209, 220, 222, 301

roadman65

I know that in many places the shorter barriers are the old ones probably back from the 50's.  I believe that US 322 still has them in Mays Landing near NJ 50, as I do remember seeing it back in 05.

US 22 used to have it in Scotch Plains, but was replaced like back in the early 80's. 
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

CentralPAGal

well, sometimes it seems like they're used in newer construction, too. back about 5 years ago or so, PennDot further screwed up reconstructed the US 15/PA 581 interchange. Along 581, most of the median barrier is constructed from the taller barriers, but under the US 15 overpass, it changes to the shorter ones before changing back to tall ones again just a couple hundred feet later. I've seen them in several other newer (last 15 years or so) construction, too, but the first example is the main one to come to mind.
Clinched:
I: 83, 97, 176, 180 (PA), 270 (MD), 283, 395 (MD), 470 (OH-WV), 471, 795 (MD)
Traveled:
I: 70, 71, 75, 76 (E), 78, 79, 80, 81, 86 (E), 95, 99, 270 (OH), 275 (KY-IN-OH), 376, 495 (MD-VA), 579, 595 (MD), 695 (MD)
US: 1, 9, 11, 13, 15, 22, 25, 30, 40, 42, 50, 113, 119, 127, 209, 220, 222, 301

TEG24601

I'v noticed that in Michigan as they have done reconstruction, they were increasing the height of the center barriers.  In Oregon, at least in Portland, they added green extenders to the barriers.  However, in Washington, even after reconstruction they seem to be using the same size barriers they have always used.  I actually wish it was common practice to separate all aspects of the lanes of traffic for safety reasons, and to eliminate lookie-loos.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

adventurernumber1

I think this is what you're talking about:

https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/127322363@N08/15610186616/

This is off of I-459 in Birmingham, AL (on a mission trip this past summer). It looks like they did a resurfacing as well as a height increase on the barrier. You can see the newer white concrete at the top in the picture.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

roadfro

Nevada uses the taller jersey barrier walls (42"?) for the median wall in all major new construction and reconstruction projects. However, there are some areas where the reconstruction might be minor so they just match up the existing wall height–they also sometimes use the original wall height for short-length barriers on the shoulder (such as a right-side wall protecting a sign bridge post).
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: roadman65 on October 26, 2014, 09:57:27 AM
I know that in many places the shorter barriers are the old ones probably back from the 50's.  I believe that US 322 still has them in Mays Landing near NJ 50, as I do remember seeing it back in 05.

That size one (for you folks that have never seen it: http://goo.gl/maps/rEy6D) is an unusually low height of about 24".  There were very few constructed to this size.  As you can see in further away in that pic, the wall height rises to normal height.

Design factors include the design speed and/or speed limit of the roadway, truck traffic, width of roadway, width of shoulder/median, etc.  A highway with a small, 1 foot left shoulder isn't going to need a stronger than normal jersey barrier because most traffic would scrape along the barrier, versus turning into it at a sharp angle. 

PennDOT's 'tall' barriers are quite thin at the top.  I'm not sure how much that would help in stopping a truck from getting thru.

roadman65

Pennsylvania also has center barriers that are only two inches tall with rumble strips on them.  Look at PA 309 south of I-81 and on US 22 from I-78 to Paxtonia in many places.

These were not done for safety, but for contrast.  Basically PennDOT uses them instead of painting a double yellow line.  In retrospect its a glorified undivided highway, but considered one by all map makers and ignorantly by us motorists.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman

When driving on I-81 through West Virginia in August of 2013, I noticed they were installing median barriers that seemed to be exceptionally tall (greater than 48 inches).  Gave me a bit of a claustrophobic feeling when I was in the left lane.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Mr_Northside

The barriers for all the PA-28 work between Millvale & the "North Shore" are short ones (including the permanent stretch just put in this last weekend)
I'm not exactly sure what they take into account when deciding which to use.

I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.