News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

License Plate News

Started by Alex, February 04, 2010, 10:38:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ted$8roadFan

In the spirit of retro license plates, I wouldn't mind it if Massachusetts brought back a modern variation of the blue and white plates from the 60s, the red and white plates of the 70s, and the green and white plates of the 80s.

JoePCool14

Quote from: OCGuy81 on February 03, 2023, 11:53:52 PM
Quote from: mgk920 on February 02, 2023, 09:09:17 AM
I feel the same about Wisconsin's design, simple, distinctive and readable.

Mike

Yes, that's another simple, readable plate.

I was glad when they switched from the red to black letters.

I'd like to see Wisconsin just change the font of their plate to something more modern. The italicized Arial Black reminds me of Office 2003. Everything about the plate works for me.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

Big John

Quote from: JoePCool14 on February 04, 2023, 11:10:33 PM
Quote from: OCGuy81 on February 03, 2023, 11:53:52 PM
Quote from: mgk920 on February 02, 2023, 09:09:17 AM
I feel the same about Wisconsin's design, simple, distinctive and readable.

Mike

Yes, that's another simple, readable plate.

I was glad when they switched from the red to black letters.

I'd like to see Wisconsin just change the font of their plate to something more modern. The italicized Arial Black reminds me of Office 2003. Everything about the plate works for me.
Arial was not well-known in 1986 when they were first issued.  It is in Helvetica italics.

Ted$8roadFan

Quote from: BlueOutback7 on February 02, 2023, 09:29:01 AM
Just saw my first new Rhode Island plate on the road here on Tuesday. I have to say, the design is growing on me and I actually like it better than the old ones.

Saw a bunch of new "Ocean"  license plates on a trip to RI today. The ones I saw appear to be replacements for existing traditional  AA-000 format plates. While I would still have preferred an alternate design, the Ocean plate design looks good.

Fredddie

jdbx

Quote from: Fredddie on February 07, 2023, 01:46:41 AM
https://www.mprnews.org/story/2023/01/30/blackout-plates-popular-in-other-states-may-be-headed-for-minnesota

Minnesota might get "blackout" plates, which are hugely popular in Iowa.

I'm not sure about other states, but an entire cottage industry has popped up here in California where people are bringing in their generic plates to get them wrapped and customized with a variety of colors and backgrounds.  Some of them mimic earlier plate designs and color combinations, where others go to extremes with every combination of color and background you can imagine.  Some shops produce a very professional-looking product, while others look like a sloppy hack job.  None of them are legal, but I am not sure what the odds are of being pulled-over or ticketed for having one of these plates.  I would imagine the odds are higher the more non-standard your plate looks.

thenetwork

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2023/01/30/blackout-plates-popular-in-other-states-may-be-headed-for-minnesota

The article mentions Colorado having blackout  plates -- FALSE!!!  Although there is a small independent petition drive going on on the internet to persuade the state to offer one.

StogieGuy7

Quote from: thenetwork on February 07, 2023, 09:42:36 PM

The article mentions Colorado having blackout  plates -- FALSE!!!  Although there is a small independent petition drive going on on the internet to persuade the state to offer one.

Yeah, I caught that too. There's a version of the "blackout plate" concept that is available in Texas however (not mentioned). And the very cool classic 60's California plates that have become a big hit are basically the same concept. Only better if you ask me.

hotdogPi

Just a question: Is Massachusetts the only state where expiration month is determined by the plate itself? (For those unfamiliar, as long as it's a regular passenger plate, it's the last digit, where 1 is January, 0 is October, and letters are ignored, only using the last one that's actually a digit.)

The registration stickers in Massachusetts are color-coded on a 5-year cycle (last digit 0,5 orange, 1,6 yellow, 2,7 green, 3,8 red, 4,9 blue), so it's very easy to determine from a distance if it's expired – unless it's a commercial plate, in which it can look expired despite being legal, as commercial plates always expire in December.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

frankenroad

Quote from: 1 on February 08, 2023, 09:19:54 AM
Just a question: Is Massachusetts the only state where expiration month is determined by the plate itself? (For those unfamiliar, as long as it's a regular passenger plate, it's the last digit, where 1 is January, 0 is October, and letters are ignored, only using the last one that's actually a digit.)

The registration stickers in Massachusetts are color-coded on a 5-year cycle (last digit 0,5 orange, 1,6 yellow, 2,7 green, 3,8 red, 4,9 blue), so it's very easy to determine from a distance if it's expired – unless it's a commercial plate, in which it can look expired despite being legal, as commercial plates always expire in December.

West Virginia does as well.  The first character is either 1-9 (Jan-Sept), or letter O, N, or D for the last 3 months.

In Missouri, the system, I believe, is also based on the first character - A&B for Jan, C&D for Feb....etc., omitting I and O leaving exactly 2 letters for each month.
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

MATraveler128

Quote from: frankenroad on February 08, 2023, 01:40:22 PM

West Virginia does as well.  The first character is either 1-9 (Jan-Sept), or letter O, N, or D for the last 3 months.

In Missouri, the system, I believe, is also based on the first character - A&B for Jan, C&D for Feb....etc., omitting I and O leaving exactly 2 letters for each month.

I really think more states should do this trick as it's a good way for people to remember that their registration is expiring. My plates end in a 4 therefore it expires in April. I really like that system.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

SP Cook

The use of numbers like that is very wasteful in two ways.  First, the number of possible combinations is too low.  WV is about to exhaust its third set of numbers, this in a very small state with a low population.  Second, it forces 55 sheriff's offices, 22 DMV regional offices, and the HQ to keep twelve different types of plates on hand at all times, and to keep track of all twelve,  when just one is sufficient. 

Poiponen13

Quote from: BlueOutback7 on February 08, 2023, 03:11:39 PM

I really think more states should do this trick as it's a good way for people to remember that their registration is expiring. My plates end in a 4 therefore it expires in April. I really like that system.
Plates could be coded by month of registration instead.

SEWIGuy

Wisconsin has a sticker with the month on it. Seems pretty easy to me.

Flint1979

My registration expires in July and I don't have a 7 anywhere in my license plate number so Michigan obviously doesn't do that.

StogieGuy7

Quote from: SEWIGuy on February 08, 2023, 04:20:14 PM

Yep, and many states (including CA) do it this way. Its pretty straightforward.

Now, if only WI would get tough on idiots who place their registration stickers all over their rear plates like a toddler would do.  Many states actually have statutes dictating where these things should be placed.

Big John

Georgia uses your birth month. With the ad-valorem tax, it is referred to as a birthday tax.

Flint1979

Quote from: Big John on February 08, 2023, 06:04:26 PM
Georgia uses your birth month. With the ad-valorem tax, it is referred to as a birthday tax.
Michigan goes by your birthday. Mine is in June but I have July tabs because somehow I got my mom on the registration her birthday is in July.

MATraveler128

Quote from: Flint1979 on February 08, 2023, 06:17:32 PM
Michigan goes by your birthday. Mine is in June but I have July tabs because somehow I got my mom on the registration her birthday is in July.

As does New Hampshire and Florida. New Hampshire also does vehicle inspections based on birth months.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

mgk920

Wisconsin encoded its regular plate numbers by month of expiration until about 1979 or 1980.  The first letter denoted the month ('A' = January, 'B' = February, etc).  The plate number on my first ever car [V67-053] (Wow, I can still remember it, too!) was an October expiration. This ended when WisDOT started issuing personalized plate numbers.

Some states (ie, New York and Pennsylvania) no longer issue annual plate validation stickers, too.

Mike

kalvado

Quote from: mgk920 on February 09, 2023, 01:07:21 AM

Wisconsin encoded its regular plate numbers by month of expiration until about 1979 or 1980.  The first letter denoted the month ('A' = January, 'B' = February, etc).  The plate number on my first ever car [V67-053] (Wow, I can still remember it, too!) was an October expiration. This ended when WisDOT started issuing personalized plate numbers.

Some states (ie, New York and Pennsylvania) no longer issue annual plate validation stickers, too.

Mike
NY issues biannual  validation sticker which goes on a windshield.

mgk920

Quote from: kalvado on February 09, 2023, 05:15:16 AM

Mike

But not onto the plates themselves.  The plates only serve to identify the vehicles.

Mike

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: BlueOutback7 on February 08, 2023, 06:53:27 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on February 08, 2023, 06:17:32 PM

As does New Hampshire and Florida. New Hampshire also does vehicle inspections based on birth months.

Texas does it by the month you first registered the car minus one. So, if you register your car in September, it's good till the end of the following August, which I find annoying and cheap, to be honest.

Tennessee did the same thing, except that the registration was good until the end of the same month you registered it.

California has it expire right on the exact day one year later.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

kalvado

Quote from: mgk920 on February 09, 2023, 10:47:54 AM
Quote from: kalvado on February 09, 2023, 05:15:16 AM

Mike

But not onto the plates themselves.  The plates only serve to identify the vehicles.

Mike
Well, it depends on what is the keyword for you - "validation sticker" itself, or its location "on a license plate" 
A discussion on whether that glass is half full or half empty...

There may be some difference for enforcement as windshield sticker may be harder to see from a patrol car on the road, but probably that's it.   

mgk920

Quote from: kalvado on February 09, 2023, 11:47:03 AM
Quote from: mgk920 on February 09, 2023, 10:47:54 AM

Mike

Well, it depends on what is the keyword for you - "validation sticker" itself, or its location "on a license plate" 
A discussion on whether that glass is half full or half empty...

There may be some difference for enforcement as windshield sticker may be harder to see from a patrol car on the road, but probably that's it.   

Several decades ago, New York (state) was having a problem with the annual validation stickers being physically cut off of license plates and then illegally used for faking the renewals on other cars' plates, primarily in NYC.  The state's solution was to then put all of the annual stickers on the inside of the windshield, leaving the plates themselves behind for the sole purpose of identifying the vehicle from a distance.  In NYS, the 'official' 'plate' is the main window sticker - if it's not there....

Mike

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.