AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Author Topic: I-73 in VA  (Read 244542 times)

74/171FAN

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:01:22 PM
I-73 in VA
« on: June 04, 2009, 07:50:37 PM »

http://www.martinsvillebulletin.com/article.cfm?ID=19173  Update on I-73 in the Martinsville area including a possible route realignment to connect to an industrial park but VDOT's funding problems won't allow this to be built any time soon.  I've never driven US 220 through there so I'm wondering if an interstate is even needed there.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 09:44:51 PM by deathtopumpkins »
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

njroadhorse

• Going wherever the roads take me

• Last Login: February 03, 2016, 07:05:44 PM
Re: I-73 in VA
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 07:53:46 PM »

Quote from: 74/171FAN
I've never driven US 220 through there so I'm wondering if an interstate is even needed there.

I would think that it would have some merit to it as an alternate to I-77 in trying to reach I-81.  I would also think it would bring economic benfits to the Martinsville area because it is now connected to an Interstate, as well as Roanoke, where it is now the crossroads of two major 2-dis.
NJ Roads FTW!
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

mightyace

• Last Login: October 04, 2012, 01:36:29 PM
    • My Flickr Photos
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 07:56:40 PM »

I've never driven US 220 through there so I'm wondering if an interstate is even needed there.

I know it would help twice a year when NASCAR comes to town.  But, I don't think even a racefan like myself could justify building it for crowds of 60-80,000 twice a year.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

donutbandit

• Last Login: July 12, 2009, 11:54:55 PM
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 10:48:57 PM »

US 220 from Martinsville to the NC line is an excellent 4 lane highway. It's the part between Martinsville and Roanoke that needs the upgrade. It supports a ton of truck traffic, and is one of those old Virginia 2 + 2 = 4 deals, with the ancient 2 lane alignment serving as the southbound lanes.

leifvanderwall

• Last Login: May 01, 2012, 08:35:30 PM
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2009, 10:55:40 PM »

I think I-73 is better served on the US 23 corridor and besides I think we have enough interstates gobbling up US 220 as it is. Is there a conspiracy to get rid of US 220?

hbelkins

• It is well, it is well, with my soul.

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 04:15:45 PM
    • Millennium Highway
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2009, 11:42:26 PM »

I think I-73 is better served on the US 23 corridor and besides I think we have enough interstates gobbling up US 220 as it is. Is there a conspiracy to get rid of US 220?

Which part of the US 23 corridor?

The Kentucky-Virginia part doesn't need an interstate designation, neither does the section from Columbus to Portsmouth.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

leifvanderwall

• Last Login: May 01, 2012, 08:35:30 PM
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2009, 06:50:06 PM »

I disagree. Perhaps on my next roadtrip I'll take US 23 from Columbus to Atlanta, GA.

Alps

• y u m

• Elimitante the truck trarffic,

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:45:18 PM
    • Alps' Roads
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2009, 10:32:31 PM »

(Off-topic discussion about alternative I-73 has been moved to Fictional Highways.  Please remember that all discussion of nonexistent, non-planned, and alternative highways goes there.)

hbelkins

• It is well, it is well, with my soul.

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 04:15:45 PM
    • Millennium Highway
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2009, 11:20:39 AM »

Keep in mind that I-73 is supposed to go on the Smart Road near Blacksburg and over to I-81 in the Roanoke-Salem vicinity. It will be a prohibitively expensive upgrade to convert US 460 from Blacksburg to Bluefield into an interstate.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

CanesFan27

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 03:50:17 PM
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2009, 06:03:02 PM »

The citizen's group, Virginians for Appropriate Roads, have filed with the US 4th Circuit Court of Appeals on Judge James C. Turk's decision allowing VDOT to proceed with planning/building I-73.

VAR believes that VDOT did not diligently consider upgrading current US 220 to Interstate Standards vs. building a new alignment for I-73.

Even if they win the appeal, VAR concedes that VDOT can still study US 220 and decide to build I-73 on a new alignment.

Story:
http://www.thesunnews.com/news/local/story/1115740.html

CanesFan27

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2009, 08:10:11 PM »

Two years ago, the Henry County Board of Supervisors suggested an alternate route for I-73 through their county.  The route would bring the highway closer to Martinsville (on the eastern limits of the city and county). 

Last week, VDOT released their preliminary findings on this suggestion.  The Board of Supervisors' route has mixed results.  While it provides quicker and closer access to Martinsville (eight interchanges compared to six), the route is 1.8 miles longer and costs more.  It displaces no existing businesses - but impacts more residences.  Environmentally, it effects less wetlands and has fewer stream crossings; however, more acreage of local flood plain is impacted.

For more read the Martinsville Bulletin's story here:
http://www.martinsvillebulletin.com/article.cfm?ID=21175

CanesFan27

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2009, 04:00:27 PM »

Earlier this month, VDOT officially supported the current FHWA approved route for I-73 through Henry County vs. a recently completed study alternate route proposed by the Henry County Board of Supervisors. VDOT has suggested to the Commonwealth Transportation Board (CTB) that the alternate route not be studied further.

The CTB has not made a decision on whether or not they will consider the alternate route for futher study.

VDOT's biggest concerns is that the alternate route costs more. But their biggest concern is that any further study of the route could delay and ultimately jeopardize the project. The current approved route for I-73 was cleared by the FHWA in 2004. However, the Henry County Board of Supervisors wants the route closer to Martinsville. They see I-73 as a key to reviving the local economy and that the current planned route is too far from Martinsville to make a positive impact.

VDOT also is concerned that if I-73 gets changed in Henry County, Franklin and Roanoke Counties will also change the route in their counties which would result in further costs and delays.

Story Links:
http://www.martinsvillebulletin.com/article.cfm?ID=21474
http://www.martinsvillebulletin.com/article.cfm?ID=21433

CanesFan27

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2009, 06:17:33 PM »

Two possible setbacks for Interstate 73 in Virginia.

http://surewhynotnow.blogspot.com/2009/12/expecting-i-73-soon-in-virginia-its.html

First, the US 4th District Court of Appeals has extended the filing period one month on the Virginians for Appropriate Roads appeal of a US District Court decision in favor of VDOT.

Story:
http://www.thesunnews.com/news/local/story/1214649.html

Secondly, and this may have the biggest impact on I-73.  The Commonwealth Transportation Board has directed VDOT to further study an alternate route of I-73 through Henry County.  The alternate routing was suggested by the Henry County Board of Supervisors.  VDOT did a preliminary study - and had suggested to the CTB that no further study was necessary.

An interesting case where people wanting the road in their backyard possibly delaying construction of a highway.

Story:
http://www.martinsvillebulletin.com/article.cfm?ID=21778

CanesFan27

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2010, 11:51:50 PM »

Virginians for Appropriate Roads (VAR) may have suffered a fatal blow in their attempt to block the eventual construction of Interstate 73. 

The U.S. 4th Circuit Court of Appeals dismissed the appeal by VAR.  VAR announced their intentions to appeal U.S District Court Judge James C. Turk's decision last October.  Turk ruled that the Virginia Department of Transportation did all that was necessary required by Federal Law in studying the route.

Even with this decision, Interstate 73 in Virginia is a long long way from reality.  Funding is not available for the route at this time and the foreseeable future.

Story:
http://www.martinsvillebulletin.com/article.cfm?ID=22261

CanesFan27

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2010, 03:14:59 PM »

What appeared to be a fatal blow to Virginia's for Appropriate Roads battle against I-73 appears to be more of a victory for them.

The agreement allows VAR to raise issues and legally challenge any future I-73 studies in exchange for the dismissal of the appeal.

More interesting is VAR's opinion that I-73 will never be built in South Central Virginia anyways.

Story:
http://martinsvillebulletin.com/article.cfm?ID=22432

Commentary:
http://surewhynotnow.blogspot.com/2010/02/vars-i-73-appeal-was-dropped-due-to.html

CanesFan27

« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2011, 10:37:57 PM »

VDOT has completed the environmental study of the Henry County (Martinsville, VA) Alternative Routing for I-73.  This route was suggested by the Henry County Board of Supervisors, and the Environmental Study was ordered by the Commonwealth Transportation Board even though VDOT requested that the alternate route be dropped from further consideration.

Some details and more at the blog:
http://surewhynotnow.blogspot.com/2011/03/henry-county-va-i-73-alternative-route.html

Grzrd

• Interested Observer

• Last Login: August 27, 2020, 03:56:45 PM
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2011, 09:38:26 PM »

VA CTB has approved the Henry County Alternative and consideration of that alternative now moves on to the FHWA (link has a good map of the Henry County Alternative):

http://www.martinsvillebulletin.com/article.cfm?ID=28953

State transportation officials have approved an alternate route for Interstate 73 through Henry County that would move the highway closer to Martinsville, local industrial parks and a major tourist attraction ... The Commonwealth Transportation Board (CTB) on Wednesday adopted a resolution favoring the I-73 Henry County Alternative (HCA) in a unanimous vote. The route will move on to the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) for consideration of final approval, according to Salem District CTB member Dana Martin, who presented the resolution for consideration ... Specifically, the resolution calls for I-73’s alignment to be shifted from the corridor already approved to the HCA, said Jason Bond, a spokesman for the Virginia Department of Transportation’s (VDOT) Salem District office ... Compared to a route that already had been adopted, he said, the alternate route would be “more valuable”  in economic development efforts and would save money on construction since it uses part of an existing highway ... The alternate route runs slightly east of Martinsville, follows the alignment of the U.S. 58 bypass for five miles and includes seven interchanges. That is two more interchanges than a route already approved by the CTB that would take the interstate a little farther east ... VDOT officials have said the bypass will be upgraded to interstate standards if the alternate route is used for I-73 ... The alternate route begins at Virginia 108/890 near Figsboro and basically runs south to Virginia 87 southeast of Ridgeway, where it ties back into the corridor that the CTB already had approved ... Neither Martin nor Bond had an idea of how long it will take the FHWA to consider the route. Bond said that will depend on how much information on the project that the FHWA requests from VDOT and how long it takes the federal agency to study the information ... FHWA officials in Washington could not be reached for comment Thursday night ...

merged topics since this topic with the exact same name already existed
-Mark
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 10:48:31 PM by Grzrd »

Grzrd

• Interested Observer

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2013, 11:17:10 AM »

VA CTB has approved the Henry County Alternative and consideration of that alternative now moves on to the FHWA

This article reports that the FHWA has completed the environmental assessment work for the I-73 corridor, but there is no available money for design work:

...The U.S. Department of Transportation’s Federal Highway Administration on Dec. 21 issued a “Finding of No Significant Impact”  on the environment with the Henry County alternate route for the interstate.
The alternate route runs from Virginia 890/108, near Figsboro, around the east side of Martinsville to Virginia 87 near Ridgeway, according to the statement issued Dec. 21 by Irene Rico, division administrator for the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) ....
The highway administration concluded that the alternate route for I-73 “will not have any significant impact on the environment not already considered in the Environmental Impact Statement.”  ....
Jason Bond, Salem District spokesman for the Virginia Department of Transportation, said Friday the Finding of No Significant Impact “completes the environmental assessment work for the corridor”  of I-73, and “it means that design work could proceed if funding were available.”
In addition to the $8.5 million that has been allocated, an estimated $12.9 million more is needed to start the design phase, according to previous reports ....

Strider

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:31:52 PM
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2013, 12:59:16 PM »

That's a good news. Get that road built by using some sections of US 220 and the bypass could save money. They should also use the existing US 220 Rocky Mount bypass as well.. will save more money, IMO.

Grzrd

• Interested Observer

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2013, 01:10:41 PM »

VDOT is encouraging Henry County officials to Think Bigger on I-73:

Enlarging the 6.5-mile section of Interstate 73 identified as a priority by the Henry County Board of Supervisors may give the project a better chance of getting funds, according to Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) officials.
A recently approved county resolution asks VDOT and the Commonwealth Transportation Board (CTB) to start and fund the first leg of I-73. The 6.5-mile section from the Patriot Centre industrial park to the U.S. 58 bypass was identified in the resolution as the first priority project.
But the 6.5-mile prioritized section must be “part of a larger section that is either in the works or planned”  to be considered to receive a federal earmark, Jason Bond of VDOT said.
Bond, who is the communications manager for the Salem District of VDOT, along with Robert Cary, district administrator; Thomas Digiulian, assistant district administrator; and Lisa Price-Hughes, resident engineer, recently discussed the I-73 project in depth.
Bond said the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) looks at projects to “ensure there is connectivity” so the section of road being built would connect with another portion and/or function independently “as a link in the overall chain.”
Digiulian suggested adding another approximately 10 miles to the priority section to connect it to U.S. 220, even though doing so will add to the cost of the project. No cost estimate was available.
The added segment would start at the northern part of the section listed as the county’s priority (the Patriot Centre) and continue for roughly for 10 miles to connect to U.S. 220 in Franklin County, according to Bond and Digiulian ....

It looks like VDOT is suggesting that the FHWA will be more receptive to supporting the project if a feasible Section of Independent Utility can be put forth.  I'm really surprised that Henry County officials have not already gone through such a process.

Grzrd

• Interested Observer

« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2013, 11:02:34 AM »

This article reports that a member of the Henry County Board of Supervisors attended a Commonwealth Transportation Board ("CTB") hearing to request funding for I-73:

A member of the Henry County Board of Supervisors attended a public hearing in Roanoke on Tuesday to support funding for construction of Interstate 73.
Iriswood District Supervisor Milton Kendall said he attended the Commonwealth Transportation Board’s public hearing on the Six-Year Plan as a representative of the supervisors to “advocate for the construction of”  I-73 in Henry County.
“On behalf of the board, I encourage you to give I-73, and the residents of Henry County, the attention they deserve,”  Kendall told the CTB ....
Kendall reminded the CTB that the Federal Highway Administration recently issued a “Finding of No Significant Impact,”  or FONSI, for the Alternative Route of I-73 through Henry County. “That means we are ready to move forward with this life-changing”  project, he said. “We just need someone to pay for it.”
The Henry County Alternative Route calls for construction of I-73 to begin between the Patriot Centre industrial park and the U.S. 58 Bypass and continue south to the North Carolina line, with an interchange near Martinsville Speedway ....
“I think it’s important to put your request in. If we don’t ask, we’ll never get anything, so I took a shot,” Kendall said.
After all, he added, “it can’t hurt.”

I'll be surprised if the CTB includes I-73 in the Six-Year Plan ....

Strider

« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2013, 11:35:01 AM »

Good! They should include that on their six-year plan. Even if I-73 temporarily ends at the Martinsville Speedway interchange, it opens the door for extension to Roanoke easily.

NC is already having the section of US 220 from VA state line to NC 68 funded to be upgraded to I-73 in a couple of years, so hopefully VA can start on their section too!

Henry

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:22:35 PM
    • Henry Watson's Online Freeway
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2013, 12:09:02 PM »

Good! They should include that on their six-year plan. Even if I-73 temporarily ends at the Martinsville Speedway interchange, it opens the door for extension to Roanoke easily.

NC is already having the section of US 220 from VA state line to NC 68 funded to be upgraded to I-73 in a couple of years, so hopefully VA can start on their section too!
That's so great to hear! By 2030, we should be able to drive from Roanoke to Greensboro nonstop, if not all the way to Myrtle Beach.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Strider

« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2013, 01:52:50 PM »

Hopefully too! I'd love for it to be completed by then as well.

NE2

• fuck

• Last Login: March 11, 2024, 12:16:05 AM
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2013, 02:06:18 PM »

That's so great to hear! By 2030, we should be able to drive from Roanoke to Greensboro nonstop, if not all the way to Myrtle Beach.
Can you explain why a new I-73 is required to make this drive nonstop, rather than simple incremental improvements?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.