AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Author Topic: I-73 in VA  (Read 244532 times)

tjcreasy

• Last Login: March 25, 2023, 05:18:43 PM
Re: I-73 in VA
« Reply #750 on: January 17, 2020, 06:06:36 PM »

Martinsville has strong economic ties to the Triad. I believe this will be the only section of I-73 built in the foreseeable future. I-73 will help provide some economic relief to Martinsville in the same way I-785 provides relief to Danville.

sprjus4

• Last Login: Today at 01:46:42 AM
« Reply #751 on: January 17, 2020, 06:10:46 PM »

Martinsville has strong economic ties to the Triad. I believe this will be the only section of I-73 built in the foreseeable future. I-73 will help provide some economic relief to Martinsville in the same way I-785 provides relief to Danville.
Agreed, but let's see if they can even build this 6 mile connection. It's currently estimated at $616 million, roughly $103 million per mile. Construction of this segment though would likely give way to North Carolina extending their I-73 portion to the state line, tying into this connector, and extending the I-73 designation ultimately to the existing Martinsville bypass, and potentially along it to its north end after needed upgrades are completed.

LM117

• Last Login: March 08, 2024, 03:36:52 PM
« Reply #752 on: January 17, 2020, 07:38:17 PM »

They also said if after the final EIS is issued the CTB will cancel this approval if a project related to this route is not fully funded within 3 years of the EIS is issued.
Knowing the snail's pace I-73 has been through Virginia... actually none of I-73 in Virginia has been constructed... it'll be at least a decade until this is funded.

Especially after the results of last November's elections. The new majority isn't gonna be eager to kick a few pennies towards I-73 in rural SW VA...
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

Beltway

• Roads to the Future

• Last Login: August 04, 2020, 05:54:39 PM
« Reply #753 on: January 17, 2020, 10:39:03 PM »

They also said if after the final EIS is issued the CTB will cancel this approval if a project related to this route is not fully funded within 3 years of the EIS is issued.
Hmmm … they have never done that before AFAIK.

Knowing the snail's pace I-73 has been through Virginia... actually none of I-73 in Virginia has been constructed... it'll be at least a decade until this is funded.
If they decide to use a route west of Martinsville then 22 miles is already built, 12 miles of the US-220 bypass and 10 miles of I-581 and the Southwest Expressway.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Beltway

• Roads to the Future

« Reply #754 on: January 17, 2020, 10:42:46 PM »

Especially after the results of last November's elections. The new majority isn't gonna be eager to kick a few pennies towards I-73 in rural SW VA...
Hah!  If they have their way, count on massive tax increases overall and $500 million to $1 billion more per year in highway funding.  Hello roads like I-73.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

Mapmikey

• Co-curator with Froggie of www.vahighways.com

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 08:31:54 PM
    • Co-curator Virginia Highways Project
« Reply #755 on: January 17, 2020, 10:53:11 PM »

Hmmm … they have never done that before AFAIK.

I don't recall reading something like this in the modern era either.

They did used to do things like this back in the 1930s though...

sprjus4

« Reply #756 on: January 18, 2020, 12:44:32 AM »

If they decide to use a route west of Martinsville then 22 miles is already built, 12 miles of the US-220 bypass and 10 miles of I-581 and the Southwest Expressway.
We’ve been over this before.... those 22 miles were pre-existing US-220 arterial bypasses, and an urban interstate highway segment built long before I-73 became a thing. No construction for I-73 specifically has occurred. The Martinsville Southern Connector, if ever funded, would be the first of this.

Hah!  If they have their way, count on massive tax increases overall and $500 million to $1 billion more per year in highway funding.  Hello roads like I-73.
If the money is used properly, and highway projects such as interstate widenings and new corridor projects are accelerated developed throughout the state, then I’m all for the increases in taxes. North Carolina has higher taxes, and has an expansive system of interstates and freeways outside the 1956 and 1968 allocations, along with a expansive 4-lane arterial system, and major interstate widening projects completed over the last 40 years.  I would gladly pay more to have higher quality roadways constructed here in Virginia at a larger scale.

LM117

« Reply #757 on: January 18, 2020, 11:18:31 AM »

If the money is used properly, and highway projects such as interstate widenings and new corridor projects are accelerated developed throughout the state, then I’m all for the increases in taxes. North Carolina has higher taxes, and has an expansive system of interstates and freeways outside the 1956 and 1968 allocations, along with a expansive 4-lane arterial system, and major interstate widening projects completed over the last 40 years.  I would gladly pay more to have higher quality roadways constructed here in Virginia at a larger scale.

Same here. My skepticism is whether or not any of that funding would be steered over this way, rather than towards areas that already have superior roads. I think hbelkins complained about the same thing in Kentucky.

Hell, the northbound US-29 bridge over the Banister River just south of Tightsqueeze has been reduced to one lane because of the shape it's in and we're told there wouldn't be funding to replace it until 2021.

Strider

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:31:52 PM
« Reply #758 on: January 19, 2020, 01:48:54 AM »

CTB has approved alternative C for the Southern Connector

http://www.ctb.virginia.gov/resources/2020/jan/res/20.pdf

They also directed VDOT to see if tweaks can be made to accommodate the feedback on that routing.

Great! That is a good news. I can see it being funded within 3 years, especially if CTB approves it. Don't be surprised if this road is being constructed in segments instead of the whole thing.

I have the feeling it will be from US 220/Future I-73 at the NC border to future MSC interchange will be constructed first. (2 miles)

They also think that I-73 should be routed on MSC, and I do agree. Much easier that way. If it does become I-73, it will temporarily end in or north of Martinsville for a long time.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 01:52:20 AM by Strider »

sparker

• Last Login: April 30, 2023, 05:42:25 PM
« Reply #759 on: January 19, 2020, 01:53:46 AM »

Hell, the northbound US-29 bridge over the Banister River just south of Tightsqueeze has been reduced to one lane because of the shape it's in and we're told there wouldn't be funding to replace it until 2021.

When I saw the community name of Tightsqueeze, I just had to look it up on GE to see just WTF it was -- apparently right in LM117's back yard!  Not to make light of an obviously sad situation regarding allocation of funding, but if a roadway was to be narrowed to address an obviously old and substandard bridge, a more appropriately named location couldn't exist!  Now I can understand why some politicos tend to direct money to more urban areas despite the usual redundancy of facilities -- that's where most of the population (including constituents) resides.  But to effectively turn one's back on more rural areas -- particularly in regards to facilities that funnel traffic toward and away from those denser regions getting the attention and subsequent funding -- is, if etched in de facto policy to the point that neglect in the ignored areas produces problematic results -- an exercise in foolishness!   Transportation is more than mere supplication of commuter effectiveness -- some sort of balanced approach needs to be not only considered but actually applied; it's in the best interests of all parties across both urban and rural environments.

LM117

« Reply #760 on: January 19, 2020, 08:09:24 AM »

When I saw the community name of Tightsqueeze, I just had to look it up on GE to see just WTF it was -- apparently right in LM117's back yard!

Pretty much. I'm less than 10 miles from it.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 08:15:29 AM by LM117 »

sprjus4

« Reply #761 on: February 20, 2020, 06:23:37 PM »

http://www.virginiadot.org/projects/salem/martinsville_southern_connector_study.asp

The DEIS (Draft Environmental Impact Statement) will be released on March 6, 2020.

sprjus4

« Reply #762 on: March 15, 2020, 02:46:10 PM »

The Draft Environmental Impact Statement was released and published on the study website.

As was announced before, the preferred alternative is Alternative C. The total cost estimate is $615,905,708. A detailed breakdown of the costs is located in Appendix E (Page 156) of the Alternative Analysis Technical Report.

The eastern route options initially proposed were eliminated from further study due to the inability to meet the Purpose and Need, due to the fact it would not accommodate regional traffic heading to the west.

The typical section for the new roadway includes two 12 ft lanes in each direction, 12 ft right paved shoulder, and 4 ft left paved shoulder. A 60 ft grassy median would divide opposing directions of traffic. An 18 ft clear zone from the edge of right shoulder to a 2:1 embankment would be required. The minimum right of way for the new location segment would be 168 ft, and 275 ft on the upgraded segment (near the North Carolina state line). The entire project would have full access control with access only permitted at interchanges; at-grade intersections and private driveways would be prohibited. The design speed for the roadway is proposed at 60 mph. Contrary to the typical section diagrams, the upgraded portion near the state line would only have a frontage road on the southern side per the detailed drawings (linked below), not on the northern side.

Interchanges on the new facility would be located at US-220 near the state line, Soapstone Rd, and Joseph Martin Hwy / US-58 / US-220. The southerly US-220 and Soapstone Rd interchanges would be standard diamond interchanges, and the Joseph Martin Hwy / US-58 / US-220 interchange would also be a standard diamond interchange with a flyover and cloverleaf to accommodate movements from the MSC and US-58 / US-220 in both directions. In the Noise Technical Report in Appendix E (Page 180), detailed drawings of the entire project are provided, including the interchange layouts.

As for traffic volumes, the new roadway would carry 10,700 - 11,900 AADT by 2025, and 11,300 - 12,800 AADT by 2040. Truck volumes would be 14 - 16% by 2025, and 18 - 20% by 2040.

Thoughts:

A couple of concerns. First, the design speed for the roadway is proposed at 60 mph, so the likelihood of having a speed limit above 60 mph would be low, maybe 65 mph if it's determined appropriate. In my opinion, this roadway ought to have a design speed of 75 mph. While it is not currently being designed as an interstate highway facility presently, there is a high chance it will be incorporated into Interstate 73 at some point in the future. Per VDOT's Design Standards, a new interstate facility should have a posted +5 mph design speed. In this case, a 75 mph design speed on the Martinsville Southern Connector would accommodate a proper 70 mph posted speed limit.

My other concern is the proposed northern connection with the US-58 / US-220 bypass. To provide maximum continuity for US-220, and in the future potentially I-73 (assuming it will run the MSC and US-220 bypass), the connection should be designed to provide full continuity to/from US-220 to the west and the MSC to the south, with traffic to/from US-58 to the east and Joseph Martin Hwy having to exit right. The southern junction reflects this design, as should the northern one.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 02:52:00 PM by sprjus4 »

AcE_Wolf_287

• Last Login: October 28, 2023, 03:40:32 PM
« Reply #763 on: March 22, 2020, 09:39:37 PM »

I saw a map of I-73 in Martinsville where its routed along its Eastern side, and not on US 220 already 4 lane highway Western side

Here it is
http://www.gribblenation.org/2011/03/henry-county-va-i-73-alternative-route.html
or
https://www.virginiadot.org/projects/I73/i73overview.asp

sprjus4

« Reply #764 on: March 22, 2020, 09:47:16 PM »

I saw a map of I-73 in Martinsville where its routed along its Eastern side, and not on US 220 already 4 lane highway Western side

Here it is
http://www.gribblenation.org/2011/03/henry-county-va-i-73-alternative-route.html
or
That was the original plan, though interests from Martinsville / Henry County, along with common sense that a full north-south freeway close to interstate standards already exists on the western side and no routing exists on the eastern side north of US-58, has pretty much shifted that routing to the western side.

This is assuming Virginia ever builds any portion of I-73, as currently 0 miles have been constructed new location. The Martinsville Southern Connector would be the first segment if ever funded.

Beltway

• Roads to the Future

« Reply #765 on: March 22, 2020, 10:13:53 PM »

This is assuming Virginia ever builds any portion of I-73, as currently 0 miles have been constructed new location. The Martinsville Southern Connector would be the first segment if ever funded.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 12:39:32 AM by Alps »

(Robert Coté, 2002)

AcE_Wolf_287

« Reply #766 on: March 22, 2020, 10:25:36 PM »

Here it is
or
That was the original plan, though interests from Martinsville / Henry County, along with common sense that a full north-south freeway close to interstate standards already exists on the western side and no routing exists on the eastern side north of US-58, has pretty much shifted that routing to the western side.

i don't know if they just haven't funded the project yet due to I-581 being I-73 this year, and i don't believe any construction as occurred due to I-73 in VA. this could be the cause of the Coronavirus

sprjus4

« Reply #767 on: March 22, 2020, 10:30:53 PM »

i don't know if they just haven't funded the project yet due to I-581 being I-73 this year, and i don't believe any construction as occurred due to I-73 in VA. this could be the cause of the Coronavirus
I-73 has been in talks for 30 years now, and no construction funding has been allocated since. As of 2020, 0 miles have been built besides pre-existing segments of US-220 bypass that may be incorporated that would need to be improved to interstate standards.

I-73 was proposed in 1990 as a corridor between Michigan and South Carolina, though the only realistic segment nowadays is the segment between Roanoke and Myrtle Beach as interests north of Virginia have fallen off. Of that corridor, the only state that has built any piece of I-73 is North Carolina. Through a mix of usage of pre-existing US-220 bypasses and new location I-73 construction in the past 20 years, a continuous 101 mile corridor is in place between Rockingham and north of Greensboro, with that currently being extended southward with the upcoming construction of the I-73 Rockingham Bypass slated to begin this year.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 12:39:59 AM by Alps »

AcE_Wolf_287

« Reply #768 on: March 22, 2020, 10:34:20 PM »

I-73 has been in talks for 30 years now, and no construction funding has been allocated since. As of 2020, 0 miles have been built besides pre-existing segments of US-220 bypass that may be incorporated that would need to be improved to interstate standards.

I-73 was proposed in 1990 as a corridor between Michigan and South Carolina, though the only realistic segment nowadays is the segment between Roanoke and Myrtle Beach as interests north of Virginia have fallen off. Of that corridor, the only state that has built any piece of I-73 is North Carolina. Through a mix of usage of pre-existing US-220 bypasses and new location I-73 construction in the past 20 years, a continuous 101 mile corridor is in place between Rockingham and north of Greensboro, with that currently being extended southward with the upcoming construction of the I-73 Rockingham Bypass slated to begin this year.

yea, because Ohio just completed a Portsmouth Bypass but ive heard they don't want to build I-73 in their state (even though its essentail connecting Columbua with Huntington and Toledo) and same with Michigan, i know South Carolina has a small funding so they're a little short of it, but they have been continuing upgrades for SC 22 for I-73. otherwise, Ohio and Michigan seems to just drop out of the Project
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 12:40:11 AM by Alps »

Jmiles32

• Last Login: October 03, 2023, 02:52:13 PM
« Reply #769 on: March 22, 2020, 10:40:07 PM »

I think that if VA did the absolute minimum of re-designating I-581 as I-73 and upgrading the rest of the Southwest Expwy and Martinsville Bypass to interstate standards and re-designating it as I-73, that would be enough to convince NC to finish the rest of their portion north to the state line. If I had to guess I would estimate all of that costing maybe around $100 million.
Aspiring Transportation Planner at Virginia Tech. Go Hokies!

AcE_Wolf_287

« Reply #770 on: March 22, 2020, 10:42:17 PM »

I think that if VA did the absolute minimum of re-designating I-581 as I-73 and upgrading the rest of the Southwest Expwy and Martinsville Bypass to interstate standards and re-designating it as I-73, that would be enough to convince NC to finish the rest of their portion north to the state line. If I had to guess I would estimate all of that costing maybe around $100 million.

true, as Virginia doesn't have to worry about upgrading or building any other new highways except for I-74 (which really doesn't make any sense) but has a complete overlap with I-77 in the State

sprjus4

« Reply #771 on: March 22, 2020, 10:44:42 PM »

Yes, as in subsequent to 1991.
Essentially, 0 miles have been built with the intention of being a piece of the I-73 corridor.

In North Carolina, while 101 miles of completed I-73 roadway exist, only 57 miles was actually completed after 1990 with the intention of becoming I-73. The remaining 44 miles was pre-existing US-220 freeway that were incorporated into the corridor later on and were not initially constructed as apart of I-73.

Built to Interstate standards as YOU see them per many of your posts.
The Martinsville Bypass only has 7-8 ft shoulders, those would need to be widened to at least 10 ft. The freeways are -close- to interstate standards, but have not been fully upgraded yet.

I believe North Carolina wanted Virginia to construct its segment to the state line before they would upgrade the remainder of US-220 to interstate standards to the state line. If the Martinsville Southern Connector were to ever get funded and constructed, North Carolina would likely commence with the upgrades.

AcE_Wolf_287

« Reply #772 on: March 22, 2020, 10:50:58 PM »

Yes, as in subsequent to 1991.
Essentially, 0 miles have been built with the intention of being a piece of the I-73 corridor.

In North Carolina, while 101 miles of completed I-73 roadway exist, only 57 miles was actually completed after 1990 with the intention of becoming I-73. The remaining 44 miles was pre-existing US-220 freeway that were incorporated into the corridor later on and were not initially constructed as apart of I-73.

Built to Interstate standards as YOU see them per many of your posts.
The Martinsville Bypass only has 7-8 ft shoulders, those would need to be widened to at least 10 ft. The freeways are -close- to interstate standards, but have not been fully upgraded yet.

I believe North Carolina wanted Virginia to construct its segment to the state line before they would upgrade the remainder of US-220 to interstate standards to the state line. If the Martinsville Southern Connector were to ever get funded and constructed, North Carolina would likely commence with the upgrades.

i feel like if they didn't construct the Martinsville Bypass until who knows what year, NCDOT would still make I-73 due to their love for Highways, or they would use the money to make other highways (Like I-42 and I-87)

Strider

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:31:52 PM
« Reply #773 on: March 22, 2020, 11:59:31 PM »

I am just glad that VDOT is working on it. Once MSC is finished, hopefully they can incorporate it into I-73 (I know they will). Between Martinsville and Roanoke.. who knows. Maybe they're just taking it slow. As of Roanoke area, I-581 is already there, but it is now a placeholder for I-73. They can change signage from I-581 to I-73 if they want to.

I look forward to attend to more meetings about MSC once the coronavirus outbreak slows down.

VTGoose

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:43:56 AM
« Reply #774 on: March 23, 2020, 08:38:13 AM »

I am just glad that VDOT is working on it. Once MSC is finished, hopefully they can incorporate it into I-73 (I know they will). Between Martinsville and Roanoke.. who knows. Maybe they're just taking it slow. As of Roanoke area, I-581 is already there, but it is now a placeholder for I-73. They can change signage from I-581 to I-73 if they want to.

I look forward to attend to more meetings about MSC once the coronavirus outbreak slows down.

Tagging I-581 as anything more than "Future I-73" accomplishes nothing. There is a large gap between VA 419 and Martinsville that will require new highway on new right of way. Between the expense of that, the resistance of people in the area, and the pressing needs to fix I-81, this highway will remain in the "fictional" realm for a long time.

Bruce in Florida (temporary relocation from Blacksburg, waiting on a new grandchild)
"Get in the fast lane, grandma!  The bingo game is ready to roll!"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.