News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Interstate 73/74

Started by Voyager, January 18, 2009, 08:09:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Strider

Quote from: Roadsguy on January 07, 2018, 11:07:10 PM
Quote from: Strider on January 06, 2018, 03:18:03 PM
Quote from: Roadsguy on January 06, 2018, 11:32:58 AM
Quote from: Strider on January 05, 2018, 01:35:27 PM
Quote from: Finrod on January 05, 2018, 01:34:18 AM
It looks like this would connect up I-74 from Rockingham to I-95.  Maybe they think that's more important than connecting up around Rockingham.  Besides, then they'd have to explain where I-73 goes.

Yeah you are correct, it will still leave a gap because the main part of Rockingham Bypass (I-73/I-74 from US 220 to US 74 west of town) isn't going to be constructed until 2026. The section that is being funded is the section of US 74 between Rockingham and Laurinburg.

They're currently constructing the interchange at the south end of the bypass too, right, or just the north?

The northern end of the bypass is currently under construction. :)

Only the north? Is the south end scheduled soon after or will that be done with the main bulk in 2026?

Yeah the section of US 220 between the Ellebre exit (I-73/74 Exit 25) and Harrington Rd is the only part of the bypass that is currently under construction. This section includes interchanges with Haywood Cemetery and Dockery Rd (Exit 23) and US 220 itself (Exit 22) where it will leave Future I-73/74 Bypass for the final time (US 220 currently ends at US 1 just south of Rockingham in case you didn't know).

The rest of them will start in 2026, according to the NCDOT's STIP map:

Route / City:  US 220 BYPASS / FUTURE I-73 / FUTURE I-74

Description: ROCKINGHAM BYPASS, US 74 BYPASS WEST OF ROCKINGHAM AT SR 1109 (ZION CHURCH ROAD) INTERCHANGE TO SOUTH OF SR 1140 (OLD CHARLOTTE HIGHWAY)
SPOT ID: H090231-A
Funding Category: DIV
ROW Year:
Const. Year: 2026
Project Cost: $70,200,000.00
Comments: RIGHT OF WAY IN PROGRESS

Description: ROCKINGHAM BYPASS, SOUTH OF SR 1140 (OLD CHARLOTTE HIGHWAY) TO SOUTHWEST OF SR 1304 (HARRINGTON ROAD)

SPOT ID: H090231-B
ROW Year:
Project Cost: $74,500,000.00

bob7374

Quote from: Strider on January 08, 2018, 12:39:07 AM
Quote from: Roadsguy on January 07, 2018, 11:07:10 PM
Quote from: Strider on January 06, 2018, 03:18:03 PM
Quote from: Roadsguy on January 06, 2018, 11:32:58 AM
Quote from: Strider on January 05, 2018, 01:35:27 PM
Quote from: Finrod on January 05, 2018, 01:34:18 AM
It looks like this would connect up I-74 from Rockingham to I-95.  Maybe they think that's more important than connecting up around Rockingham.  Besides, then they'd have to explain where I-73 goes.

Yeah you are correct, it will still leave a gap because the main part of Rockingham Bypass (I-73/I-74 from US 220 to US 74 west of town) isn't going to be constructed until 2026. The section that is being funded is the section of US 74 between Rockingham and Laurinburg.

They're currently constructing the interchange at the south end of the bypass too, right, or just the north?

The northern end of the bypass is currently under construction. :)

Only the north? Is the south end scheduled soon after or will that be done with the main bulk in 2026?

Yeah the section of US 220 between the Ellebre exit (I-73/74 Exit 25) and Harrington Rd is the only part of the bypass that is currently under construction. This section includes interchanges with Haywood Cemetery and Dockery Rd (Exit 23) and US 220 itself (Exit 22) where it will leave Future I-73/74 Bypass for the final time (US 220 currently ends at US 1 just south of Rockingham in case you didn't know).

The rest of them will start in 2026, according to the NCDOT's STIP map:

Description: ROCKINGHAM BYPASS, US 74 BYPASS WEST OF ROCKINGHAM AT SR 1109 (ZION CHURCH ROAD) INTERCHANGE TO SOUTH OF SR 1140 (OLD CHARLOTTE HIGHWAY)
SPOT ID: H090231-A
ROW Year:
Project Cost: $70,200,000.00

Description: ROCKINGHAM BYPASS, SOUTH OF SR 1140 (OLD CHARLOTTE HIGHWAY) TO SOUTHWEST OF SR 1304 (HARRINGTON ROAD)

SPOT ID: H090231-B
ROW Year:
Project Cost: $74,500,000.00
Turns out the Dec. 2017 STIP update linked from the NCDOT STIP site I was quoting for the re-funded upgrade work to US 74 is actually from Dec. 2015, the years listed run from 2016 to 2025. From checking out the map cited above and what NCDOT says is also a revised STIP that does list for 2018-2027, the Rockingham Bypass is funded and the I-74 upgrade from Rockingham to Laurinburg is still unfunded, but a feasibility study is in progress. I will be updating my I-73/74 pages with the correct information. There is also a project to upgrade the US 74/US 1 interchange on the Bypass (listed as US 74/Future I-74, despite the drop of the signage) that is to start in 2022.

The reference in the STIP to a Feasibility Study in progress is dated. The Study was completed in November and is available online:
https://connect.ncdot.gov/projects/planning/FeasibilityStudiesDocuments/FS-1508A_Feasibility-Study_Report_2017.pdf

It recommends two alternatives, one just an upgrade of the existing US 74, the other the same except for a southern bypass around Laurel Hill between SR 1363 (Fred Carter Road) and SR 1267 (Devon Drive) (a third involving a northern bypass of Laurel Hill was rejected for environmental reasons). They are nearly identical in length, meaning the bypass won't be that long (23.95 miles vs. 24.11). Between Rockingham and Laurel Hill intersections would be closed off and service roads built. There would be a partial cloverleaf interchange at Old Hundred Road/Corbitt Road. Depending on the alternative chosen there would be either 1 exit at St. John's Road or 3 exits, for existing US 74 at the Bypass, St Johns Road and Ida Mill/Spring Mill Roads, which would have a connection so existing US 74 traffic could access the Bypass. There would also be an additional interchange in both alternatives at Armstrong Rd between Laurel Hill and the Laurinburg Bypass. There may be the closing of some ramps for US 15/US 401 and/or Business 15/401 due to the short distance between the exits. The study indicates the total cost for each alternative is about the same, $310.5 million vs. $311.4 million. Now its up to NCDOT to find the funds and decide a date.

Strider

A NCDOT spokersperson emailed me and told me that the section of US 220 (Future I-73) from US 220 to NC 68 intersection in which he said it will be the temporary ending of I-73, will be signed as I-73. The contractor that is supposed to put up signs have not gotten things done. So, the delay is basically the contractor's fault, not NCDOT's.

Thing 342

Drove most of I-73 and I-74 yesterday, and took some photos:

Greensboro:

I-73 is still MIA on the new US-220 segment, but there are some doofy looking US-220 shields present:

Approaching US-158:

Exit number signage is also missing, but otherwise everything's complete (lol @ that 158 shield, btw)

Some I-73 signage exists, but not much until you reach the slightly older sections:

Some new signage for the imminent opening of the new I-840 segment. Was scheduled to open Feb 1, but was still not open when I came through, annoyingly.

Rockingham:

The southbound lanes on this stretch are open and finished, but the northbound set still needs a little bit of work, it seems:

The northbound lanes now switch over right before the Haywood Cemetery Rd. Exit:

The Haywood Cemetery Rd. Exit looks like it still needs paving:

Strider

Yeah you see some goofy looking US 220 shields because it is a temporary signage that is being reserved for I-73/US 220 shields to be put together. The signage contractor is late in putting the exit numbers and I-73 signs. It should be finished by the time I-840 segment is open, or when the entire signage changes in Greensboro along the I-73 corridor are complete.

The I-840 segment north of I-73 won't be open until late February or March, weather permitting.

bob7374

Quote from: Strider on February 04, 2018, 04:50:29 PM
Yeah you see some goofy looking US 220 shields because it is a temporary signage that is being reserved for I-73/US 220 shields to be put together. The signage contractor is late in putting the exit numbers and I-73 signs. It should be finished by the time I-840 segment is open, or when the entire signage changes in Greensboro along the I-73 corridor are complete.

The I-840 segment north of I-73 won't be open until late February or March, weather permitting.
The Richmond County project was about 89% complete as of the end of December. The current completion date in April 9. Looks like they decided not to cover the I-73/I-74 shields at the Haywood Cemetery Rd exit, even though that's jumping the gun by a couple months. This will probably be the furthest south I-73 will appear on an overhead sign for several years until the rest of the Bypass is completed. This will be the eventual sign at the US 220 exit overhead gantry seen in the second to bottom photo:

Bobby5280

426" X 240"? That's a big damn sign panel. That's 35' 6" X 20' 0". That's 710 square feet, more square footage than any standard size billboard, including the 48' X 14' standard (672 sq ft). That type of big green sign is a serious wind target. It would be interesting to see the support steel specifications for it.

WashuOtaku

Quote from: Bobby5280 on February 10, 2018, 10:35:54 PM
426" X 240"? That's a big damn sign panel. That's 35' 6" X 20' 0". That's 710 square feet, more square footage than any standard size billboard, including the 48' X 14' standard (672 sq ft). That type of big green sign is a serious wind target. It would be interesting to see the support steel specifications for it.

There are even larger signs than that on NC freeways.

LM117

NCDOT has awarded a contract to upgrade the Hallsboro Road intersection on US-74/76 east of Whiteville to an interchange.

https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/details.aspx?r=14934

QuoteWHITEVILLE — The N.C. Department of Transportation will upgrade the intersection of Hallsboro Road and U.S. 74/76 east of Whiteville into an interchange that will feature bridges and ramps.

Traffic on Hallsboro Road must now stop and wait before entering the highway. To lessen the risk of crashes, particularly those involving a high rate of speed, the new interchange will let motorists on Hallsboro Road go over the highway on a bridge or use the ramps to enter it without stopping.

The department in February awarded a nearly $9.4 million contract to BMCO Construction Inc. of Lumberton for the project, which is expected to get underway by this summer and be completed by 2020.

This is the latest in NCDOT's ongoing efforts to improve mobility and safety on U.S. 74 by building more interchanges.

This was one of 16 road and bridge contracts recently awarded by the N.C. Department of Transportation. Per state law they went to the lowest qualified bidder for each project. The contracts are worth $65.1 million, more than $852,000 under engineer estimates.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

BrianP

QuoteThe N.C. Department of Transportation will upgrade the intersection of Hallsboro Road and U.S. 74/76 east of Whiteville into an interchange that will feature bridges and ramps.
Really?  I thought it was going feature unicorns and ponies.  LOL!

wdcrft63

Quote from: BrianP on March 08, 2018, 01:50:29 PM
QuoteThe N.C. Department of Transportation will upgrade the intersection of Hallsboro Road and U.S. 74/76 east of Whiteville into an interchange that will feature bridges and ramps.
This project is somewhat more important than the press release reveals. It will remove the only at-grade intersection between Whiteville and Lake Waccamaw. When completed, it will extend the freeway status of Future I-74 by nine miles.

BrianP

Quote from: wdcrft63 on March 08, 2018, 04:47:23 PM
This project is somewhat more important than the press release reveals. It will remove the only at-grade intersection between Whiteville and Lake Waccamaw. When completed, it will extend the freeway status of Future I-74 by nine miles.
For anyone who doesn't get the joke:  Saying that an interchange will feature bridges and ramps is like saying that a house will feature walls and ceilings.  It wouldn't be a house without walls and ceilings.  And it wouldn't be an interchange without ramps.  I suppose the bridges part is actually optional.  E.g. https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4829666,-76.2579566,221m/data=!3m1!1e3

Strider

Quote from: LM117 on March 08, 2018, 01:22:47 PM
NCDOT has awarded a contract to upgrade the Hallsboro Road intersection on US-74/76 east of Whiteville to an interchange.

QuoteWHITEVILLE — The N.C. Department of Transportation will upgrade the intersection of Hallsboro Road and U.S. 74/76 east of Whiteville into an interchange that will feature bridges and ramps.

Traffic on Hallsboro Road must now stop and wait before entering the highway. To lessen the risk of crashes, particularly those involving a high rate of speed, the new interchange will let motorists on Hallsboro Road go over the highway on a bridge or use the ramps to enter it without stopping.

The department in February awarded a nearly $9.4 million contract to BMCO Construction Inc. of Lumberton for the project, which is expected to get underway by this summer and be completed by 2020.

This is the latest in NCDOT's ongoing efforts to improve mobility and safety on U.S. 74 by building more interchanges.

This was one of 16 road and bridge contracts recently awarded by the N.C. Department of Transportation. Per state law they went to the lowest qualified bidder for each project. The contracts are worth $65.1 million, more than $852,000 under engineer estimates.

Will US 74 be upgraded to interstate standards in that area or no?

wdcrft63

Quote from: Strider on March 08, 2018, 05:41:55 PM
Quote from: LM117 on March 08, 2018, 01:22:47 PM

Will US 74 be upgraded to interstate standards in that area or no?

Within the limits of the project, I assume so. In general, US 74 appears to meet Interstate standards except for the width of the paved shoulders.
https://goo.gl/maps/88qM4ccHdaS2

Mapmikey

The western half of that is already 70 mph freeway...

bob7374

Quote from: Mapmikey on March 08, 2018, 07:19:22 PM

The western half of that is already 70 mph freeway...
And for those who are curious as to what the exit number will be, it will be 248.

bob7374

Interstate 73 has now been signed along US 220 to its new northern terminus beyond NC 68 in Rockingham County. The end sign, courtesy of Strider:

I will be posting his complete set of photos soon on my I-73 Segment 2 page:
http://www.malmeroads.net/i7374nc/i73seg2.html#photos

Roadsguy

What's the speed limit on the upgraded 220 stretch? 65 or 70?
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

Strider

Quote from: Roadsguy on April 02, 2018, 12:03:31 AM
What's the speed limit on the upgraded 220 stretch? 65 or 70?

60 mph for now. It will be increased to 65 once all signage plans are complete and installed.

bob7374

I have posted several new photos of construction progress (more on the western than the eastern end) along the Future I-74 Winston-Salem Northern Beltway between US 421 (Bus. 40) and US 158 courtesy of J. Austin Carter. Here's a look toward the future US 158 interchange:

The rest on my I-74 Segment 4 page: http://www.malmeroads.net/i7374nc/i74seg4.html#photos

bob7374

NCDOT has awarded the contract that will build three more segments of the Eastern Section (Future I-74) of the Winston-Salem Northern Beltway from US 311 to US 52. Completion is scheduled for 2022:
https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/details.aspx?r=15043

sparker

Quote from: bob7374 on April 05, 2018, 05:14:56 PM
NCDOT has awarded the contract that will build three more segments of the Eastern Section (Future I-74) of the Winston-Salem Northern Beltway from US 311 to US 52. Completion is scheduled for 2022:

Question: does this segment include the interchange with US 52, or will that be addressed in a future letting?

dfilpus

Quote from: sparker on April 06, 2018, 02:24:16 AM

Question: does this segment include the interchange with US 52, or will that be addressed in a future letting?
The interchange with US 52 is part of the Western Loop (R-2247EB) which is going to the design-build process. Right of way acquisition and letting are scheduled for later this year.

bob7374

Quote from: dfilpus on April 06, 2018, 10:05:15 AM
Quote from: sparker on April 06, 2018, 02:24:16 AM

The interchange with US 52 is part of the Western Loop (R-2247EB) which is going to the design-build process. Right of way acquisition and letting are scheduled for later this year.
Actually, some work has started in building the Beltway interchange with US 52 (and also the future interchange with US 421 at the other end of the western loop). Under Contract C203840 (shouldn't that be for a Greensboro Loop contract?) preliminary work is being done to modify the existing US 52 interchange with NC 65 to make room for the future Beltway interchange. As of the end of Feb. the work was 26% complete with a finishing date of Sept. 2019.

bob7374

The contractor for the US 220 north of Haw River segment of I-73 has started installing I-73 exit number tabs and gore signs, including on this sign which will be the highest numbered I-73 exit for the foreseeable future, courtesy of Strider:

The remainder on my I-73 Segment 2 page: http://www.malmeroads.net/i7374nc/i73seg2.html#photos

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.