Regional Boards > Southeast

Huntsville

<< < (2/49) > >>

codyg1985:

--- Quote from: AARoads on January 26, 2009, 03:17:19 PM ---Only thing I've heard about any new limited access highway in Huntsville is the possibility that the southern toll bypass of Huntsville may come to fruition: http://www.tollroadsnews.com/node/3116

--- End quote ---

Update on the Huntsville Southern Bypass: The US Army has had the project blocked due to security concerns. So its back to square one for ALDOT.

agentsteel53:
from the article:

--- Quote ---blah blah blah blah blah blah terrorist attack blah blah blah blah blah blah
--- End quote ---

news flash: Bush is out of office.  We can think like rational beings now.

austrini:
I'm sure they could find another route for it. I-10 would run along the coast of Florida if it were not for the military, who wanted it moved inland so it couldnt be bombarded by submarines and the like!

codyg1985:

--- Quote from: austrini on June 04, 2009, 08:58:27 AM ---I'm sure they could find another route for it. I-10 would run along the coast of Florida if it were not for the military, who wanted it moved inland so it couldnt be bombarded by submarines and the like!

--- End quote ---

It would be very difficult to do so. Redstone Arsenal basically forms an area bordered by I-565 to the north and the Tennessee River to the south, Zierdt Rd (between Madison and Huntsville) to the west and Jordan Lane to the east.  One option would be to route the bypass to the east of Redstone Arsenal, but it would be very expensive and it would cut off neighborhoods from the rest of the city. Routing the bypass farther out so it doesn't go next to some larger offices within the arsenal is another option, but I don't see the Army allowing that to happen, either.

froggie:

--- Quote ---I-10 would run along the coast of Florida if it were not for the military, who wanted it moved inland so it couldnt be bombarded by submarines and the like!
--- End quote ---

Must be a Florida thing.  In Mississippi, I-10 runs inland so it would have less chance of being flooded.  For example:  notice how soon I-10 was reopened after Katrina as compared to US 90.

--- Quote ---It would be very difficult to do so. Redstone Arsenal basically forms an area bordered by I-565 to the north and the Tennessee River to the south, Zierdt Rd (between Madison and Huntsville) to the west and Jordan Lane to the east.  One option would be to route the bypass to the east of Redstone Arsenal, but it would be very expensive and it would cut off neighborhoods from the rest of the city.
--- End quote ---

They could go west of HST and south of Redstone, though that would require two additional crossings of the Tennessee River.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version