News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

TX-71 toll lanes opening soon.

Started by Stephane Dumas, February 27, 2017, 03:11:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephane Dumas

Bobby5280

I wonder when (or IF) they're ever going to fix the nonsense with TX-71 as it passes along the North side of Austin-Bergstrom International Airport. The road sorts of acts like a freeway yet has a bunch of at-grade driveways and even a couple neighborhood streets making direct contact with the main lanes, which are 4 or 5 lanes across along much of the stretch. They need to get some proper frontage roads built or something in order to physically separate the driveways and streets from the freeway.

Also, what's going on with TX-71 as it passes thru the interchange with TX-130? The main lanes have only a single lane in each direction thru the interchange. It might be possible to re-stripe the existing main lanes bridge to hold four lanes. But the shoulders would likely be too skinny to meet Interstate standards. With the Austin area growing the way it is they'll probably have to build a 2nd TX-71 bridge thru the interchange so they can have at least a 3x3 lanes configuration.

CoolAngrybirdsrio4

Quote from: Bobby5280 on January 17, 2022, 10:21:39 PM
I wonder when (or IF) they're ever going to fix the nonsense with TX-71 as it passes along the North side of Austin-Bergstrom International Airport. The road sorts of acts like a freeway yet has a bunch of at-grade driveways and even a couple neighborhood streets making direct contact with the main lanes, which are 4 or 5 lanes across along much of the stretch. They need to get some proper frontage roads built or something in order to physically separate the driveways and streets from the freeway.

Also, what's going on with TX-71 as it passes thru the interchange with TX-130? The main lanes have only a single lane in each direction thru the interchange. It might be possible to re-stripe the existing main lanes bridge to hold four lanes. But the shoulders would likely be too skinny to meet Interstate standards. With the Austin area growing the way it is they'll probably have to build a 2nd TX-71 bridge thru the interchange so they can have at least a 3x3 lanes configuration.

I am hoping that TxDOT would do something about the numerous at grade intersections with driveways and roads and upgrade TX 71 within the TX 130 interchange to 2 or even 3 lanes in each direction.
Renewed roadgeek

thisdj78

Quote from: Bobby5280 on January 17, 2022, 10:21:39 PM

The current bridge for 71 over 130 will eventually become just the east bound lanes after expansion. A second bridge will eventually be built to carry the west bound lanes.

longhorn

How many going to AUS airport from 130 take this on ramp to get on 71 heading west not realizing its a tollway for 200 ft and get popped for $3 or something like that.........FOR 200 FEET!

https://www.google.com/maps/@30.2001654,-97.6328145,3a,18.8y,278.32h,90.06t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sQp4XAHnn65dQzPFLI_4mrw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Stay on the access road and go through the intersection, its free on the other side of the bridge. The toll road merges with the access road.

https://www.google.com/maps/@30.203198,-97.6392211,3a,60y,268.73h,90.06t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sOzGMHapf4VIJYy15R2Ri-w!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

BLATANT MONEY GRAB!!!! Consider this a Public Service Announcement.

https://www.google.com/maps/@30.2020937,-97.6370099,1842m/data=!3m1!1e3

Echostatic

The toll is $0.94, and that intersection is completely snarled with traffic every morning. Easily worth it in the morning rush.
Travelled in part or in full.

Bobby5280

There is a few other places around Texas that have odd ramp configurations where you can get hit with a toll just for using a ramp if you're not careful. The one experience I hated the most was trying to get on Westbound I-635 at Webb Chapel in Dallas after watching a movie at the Cinemark IMAX theater. Because the on ramps are so poorly signed I wound up in the entrance ramps for the I-35E express lanes. I was able to get onto the free I-35E lanes, but not before going under a toll tag reader at the end of the ramp.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.