Regional Boards > Ohio Valley

West Virginia (excuding Eastern Panhandle)

<< < (46/49) > >>

Black-Man:

--- Quote from: SP Cook on April 28, 2022, 01:48:00 PM ---“Open road tolling” is not mentioned in the article, so probably not.

--- End quote ---

Only in West Virginia do they spend $25 million only to get the technology of 20 years ago. One of the employees told me they don't have an electronic rate to justify free flow high speed lanes. It's the same attitude that kept the Turnpike 2 lanes until the 1980s. If they would just get the word out on what a great deal the EZPass system is on the Turnpike, their electronic rate would increase. But they want to keep it a secret to the out-of-state crowd because... muh money for a corrupt bureaucracy.

Dirt Roads:

--- Quote from: SP Cook on April 28, 2022, 01:48:00 PM ---“Open road tolling” is not mentioned in the article, so probably not.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: Black-Man on May 17, 2022, 09:35:28 PM ---Only in West Virginia do they spend $25 million only to get the technology of 20 years ago. One of the employees told me they don't have an electronic rate to justify free flow high speed lanes. It's the same attitude that kept the Turnpike 2 lanes until the 1980s. If they would just get the word out on what a great deal the EZPass system is on the Turnpike, their electronic rate would increase. But they want to keep it a secret to the out-of-state crowd because... muh money for a corrupt bureaucracy.

--- End quote ---

There are a number of government/authority projects that get mislabeled.  I highly suspect that this upgrade also includes new toll booths, canopies, improved access tunnels, new conduits (perhaps in new ductbank tunnels) along with all of the central computer gadgets.  That certainly doesn't cost $25M, but keeping seven or eight toll booths operating while this is all being constructed probably adds more than $10M to the project. 

Bitmapped:

--- Quote from: Dirt Roads on May 17, 2022, 11:37:41 PM ---
--- Quote from: Black-Man on May 17, 2022, 09:35:28 PM ---Only in West Virginia do they spend $25 million only to get the technology of 20 years ago. One of the employees told me they don't have an electronic rate to justify free flow high speed lanes. It's the same attitude that kept the Turnpike 2 lanes until the 1980s. If they would just get the word out on what a great deal the EZPass system is on the Turnpike, their electronic rate would increase. But they want to keep it a secret to the out-of-state crowd because... muh money for a corrupt bureaucracy.

--- End quote ---

There are a number of government/authority projects that get mislabeled.  I highly suspect that this upgrade also includes new toll booths, canopies, improved access tunnels, new conduits (perhaps in new ductbank tunnels) along with all of the central computer gadgets.  That certainly doesn't cost $25M, but keeping seven or eight toll booths operating while this is all being constructed probably adds more than $10M to the project. 

--- End quote ---

There's been no talk of any other improvements. If there were going to be new toll booths or anything of that scale, I hazard to guess someone in WV media would have picked up on it. New conduits seem likely to support the new toll collection system, but I suspect anything else is out of scope.

Bitmapped:

--- Quote from: seicer on May 17, 2022, 10:26:12 AM ---Turned out, WVDOH invested in a double-wide machine to lay down asphalt: https://transportation.wv.gov/communications/PressRelease/Pages/Twice-as-nice-Double-wide-paving-machine-in-use-on-US-35.aspx

It would be nice to see this applied on more roads but it requires the closure of both lanes of traffic.

--- End quote ---

That's not WVDOH's paving machine, it's a contractor's. WVDOH very rarely uses median crossovers, even in projects where they would make a whole lot of sense, so I doubt you'll see many cases where a double-wide machine could be used.

Dirt Roads:

--- Quote from: seicer on April 12, 2022, 09:28:23 AM ---You are in luck... these bridges I have not yet photographed because they look very worn down. I'm glad they are painting both spans in differing colors - which are also the state's official colors and not the colors of the Ukrainian flag (sadly, a lot of online commenters are not aware of that).

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: Dirt Roads on April 12, 2022, 11:47:19 AM ---That's more like it.  Its not "state road yaller", but that certainly looks like a modern-day WVU color scheme.

--- End quote ---

While passing over the southbound bridge (original Chuck Yeager span over the Kanawha River) about ten days ago, I noticed that support structure under the northbound lanes had already been painted the new bright WVU yellow color.  Both of the through truss structures appear to be stripped down and awaiting the final paint job to begin.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version