More US 31 upgrades between Indy and South Bend

Started by monty, July 12, 2019, 04:23:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: I-39 on June 12, 2022, 10:44:13 PM
Quote from: I-55 on June 11, 2022, 06:46:09 PMI also wouldn't be surprised if when the freeway is completed Kokomo begs INDOT for an interstate designation (assuming RIROs are all removed, etc.) (probably wouldn't be I-67, more likely an x65). This would at least allow the freeway to be posted at 70 mph.

I doubt InDOT would do an Interstate designation until the whole corridor to South Bend is freeway.

Converting the Peru-Plymouth segment to freeway seems to be a long way off, so I could see the state pushing for an Indy-Kokomo freeway to get designated as I-165.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

The Ghostbuster

I don't think the US 31 corridor needs an Interstate designation. I support leaving the corridor with its existing designation.

hbelkins

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on June 13, 2022, 01:53:51 PM
I don't think the US 31 corridor needs an Interstate designation. I support leaving the corridor with its existing designation.

I don't think the US 31 corridor needs to be a full freeway. (Unpopular opinion, I know). But if it does become a full freeway, it should get an Interstate number.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

ITB

Not yet noted is the increasing importance of US 31 between Indianapolis and the Grand Rapids metropolitan area. Grand Rapids is Michigan's second largest city. It's growing. The metropolitan area now has a population of over one million. With the upgrades in Indiana, US 31 is likely to become the preferred travel corridor, if it isn't already, from western and northern Michigan to points south, and vice versa.

Indianapolis Metropolitan Area (11 counties)

1980     1,208,115       +5.4%
1990     1,294,217       +7.1%
2000     1,525,104     +17.8%
2010     1,887,877     +23.8%
2020     2,111,040     +11.8%

Grand Rapids Metropolitan Area (4 counties)

1980        701,050      +12.2%
1990        798,482      +13.9%
2000        935,393      +17.1%
2010        993,670        +6.2%
2020     1,087,592        +9.5%

Source: Wikipedia

Considering the steady population growth of both regions, it's only a matter of time (and money) until US 31 becomes a freeway north of Indianapolis. As others have pointed out, it's doubtful Indiana (and Michigan) would pursue an interstate designation until the corridor is full freeway. And even then, there may be significant additional costs, which may prove to be prohibitive, to achieve interstate designation.

ITB

There was a major crash today, with at least one fatality, at the intersection of US 31 and 226th Street in Hamilton County.

Late this year in December, the contract for an overpass at this location is expected to be let. Can't happen soon enough.

Great Lakes Roads

Quote from: ITB on June 29, 2022, 06:20:57 PM

There was a major crash today, with at least one fatality, at the intersection of US 31 and 226th Street in Hamilton County.

Late this year in December, the contract for an overpass at this location is expected to be let. Can't happen soon enough.

I drove by this crash on my way back from Indy, and it was pretty bad... This section of US 31 needed an upgrade right after they were done with improving the Hamilton County stretch from I-465 to SR 38, especially within Tipton County!

cjw2001

Quote from: ITB on June 29, 2022, 06:20:57 PM

I often have the Hamilton County EMS dispatch radio playing in the background while I work, and these accidents are very very frequent in this area.  Today's was a truck vs motorcycle with fatal results.  The loss of life in this corridor is terrible and all too frequent.

ITB

I paged through the discussion again and then took a hard look at Google maps and GSV. As many of you are aware, there's several thorny areas along the corridor that will be difficult and expensive to upgrade. Most of these have been identified previously in the thread, and, in a few instances, possible solutions were put forward.

From my vantage point, it's difficult to see the corridor becoming "free flowing" by 2026 if the proposed J-turns north of Kokomo are ultimately not agreed to. Considering the vehement reaction to them good chance they won't be proposed again. That means the lights will remain until replaced with either overpasses, interchanges, or sealed off. The J-turns were, of course, half measures designed to buy time until additional funding could be found. It's not an intolerable situation, by any means. All INDOT needs to do is reframe the discourse by saying it is "moving toward" a free flowing US 31, toss the 2026 deadline, and continue to build as funding becomes available. Eventually, in time, US 31 will become "free flowing," and more likely sooner rather than later.

Perhaps the segment that presents the most challenge to upgrade will be at Grissom Air Reserve Base and the Miami Correctional Center. According to INDOT's US 31 Corridor Map, only intersection upgrades are scheduled in this vicinity. No overpasses, no interchange. That was the plan, but is no longer, I believe, because the area is once again under study. At some point, an interchange will have to be constructed in this area, particularly if AADT bumps up, which it will eventually. Unfortunately, there's no obvious location for an interchange. Moreover, the base is federal property, and the air museum is smack tight adjacent to 31, so the implementation of any proposed changes to US 31 may be tricky and time consuming. One solution – an expensive one – is to construct a segment of new terrain US 31 between the town of Bunker Hill and present US 31, with partial interchanges both south and north of the base. Present US 31 alongside the base could then be repurposed as a local road.

To hazard a guess, it looks like another $100-200 million may be necessary to make US 31 "free flowing" if J-turns aren't utilized to eliminate the lights. There may some funds freed up due to the additional funding provided by the 2021 Infrastructure Bill. But maybe not. Upgrading US 31 is a priority for the state, then again, there's a lot of projects, both big and small, that need funding.

Finally, as I meandered through this thread earlier, I was impressed time and again by the in-depth knowledge, insights and expertise of many contributors. Sparker, I noticed, who was quite active earlier, hasn't logged on since mid-September. Does anyone know if anything has happened? Is he OK?

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: ITB on July 01, 2022, 11:37:13 PM

Perhaps the segment that presents the most challenge to upgrade will be at Grissom Air Reserve Base and the Miami Correctional Center. According to INDOT's US 31 Corridor Map, only intersection upgrades are scheduled in this vicinity. No overpasses, no interchange. That was the plan, but is no longer, I believe, because the area is once again under study. At some point, an interchange will have to be constructed in this area, particularly if AADT bumps up, which it will eventually. Unfortunately, there's no obvious location for an interchange. Moreover, the base is federal property, and the air museum is smack tight adjacent to 31, so the implementation of any proposed changes to US 31 may be tricky and time consuming. One solution – an expensive one – is to construct a segment of new terrain US 31 between the town of Bunker Hill and present US 31, with partial interchanges both south and north of the base. Present US 31 alongside the base could then be repurposed as a local road.

Yeah, there are two real problems with the Grissom/Bunker Hill area.

One is that there are three points within 2.5 miles that need access: 218 west, 218 east/Bunker Hill, and the correctional facility.

The second problem is that Pipe Creek directly to the east of 31 makes the terrain challenging to build either new roadway or interchanges.

Looks like you can do an interchange between the correctional facility and 218 east that can serve both, but 218 west is right at Pipe Creek, so that one may have to be a J-turn or no access at all. If they go with no access at all, perhaps 218 can get routed around the south end of Grissom.

ITB

BigRigSteve drove north on US 31 today, as part of a run from Greenwood, IN, to Elkhart. That portion of the video begins at 1:31:15.

And, from Elkhart, after picking up a load, he went south, again on US 31, and ultimately delivered near Monrovia, IN.

monty

As per today's Kokomo Tribune: The takeover of a stretch of Indiana 28 to Tipton County and the city of Tipton is expected to happen no sooner than Oct. 1. There isn't anything new to report from the story https://www.facebook.com/100064008129559/posts/pfbid0HZBE3WvTurYhcnaR6r7Y1UeccBJ6oaGzvRb48zXAh9v7bMADatzrpL9TPvcnMw7Bl/?d=n

Meanwhile, the three major US 31 projects - two interchanges and the rail overpass are in full swing.
monty

silverback1065

Quote from: monty on August 22, 2022, 08:15:21 AM
As per today's Kokomo Tribune: The takeover of a stretch of Indiana 28 to Tipton County and the city of Tipton is expected to happen no sooner than Oct. 1. There isn't anything new to report from the story https://www.facebook.com/100064008129559/posts/pfbid0HZBE3WvTurYhcnaR6r7Y1UeccBJ6oaGzvRb48zXAh9v7bMADatzrpL9TPvcnMw7Bl/?d=n

Meanwhile, the three major US 31 projects - two interchanges and the rail overpass are in full swing.

Last sentence pretty much guarantees a gap in 28 now. Why would the county be resurfacing 560 if the state was supposed to take over that section (i believe the original story said this)?

monty

There will be a IN 28 gap from 560 W (1/2 mile east of US 31) to SR 19 on the east side of Tipton. 560 W needs paving by the county. I'm interested in how the signage will be informing trucks on US 31 of the "Tipton truck route."   Tipton officials are hoping this participation will assist in influencing a Division Road interchange with US 31.
monty

silverback1065

Quote from: monty on August 22, 2022, 01:08:42 PM
There will be a IN 28 gap from 560 W (1/2 mile east of US 31) to SR 19 on the east side of Tipton. 560 W needs paving by the county. I'm interested in how the signage will be informing trucks on US 31 of the "Tipton truck route."   Tipton officials are hoping this participation will assist in influencing a Division Road interchange with US 31.

they probably wont sign it at all, other than having a no trucks sign at 560. indot should just put an interchange at division, take over maintance of division from 31 to 19 and through 28 onto it. continuity, and interchange, problem solved.

monty

monty

silverback1065

cjw2001

I-39

monty

Quote from: cjw2001 on August 24, 2022, 12:13:29 PM
Quote from: silverback1065 on August 23, 2022, 09:39:19 PM
Quote from: monty on August 23, 2022, 08:46:45 PM
https://content.govdelivery.com/attachments/fancy_images/INDOT/2022/08/6333220/4287229/capture256_crop.png

236th Street interchange - bridge construction. 236th Street will be closed to traffic across US 31.

is this supposed to be done this year?
This page says July 2023 https://www.in.gov/indot/about-indot/central-office/welcome-to-the-greenfield-district/interchange-project-at-us-31-and-236th-street/
The interchange is heavy into construction. 236th has stayed open and the stoplight maintained. Bridge girders are being erected for the new overpass.
monty

monty

Quote from: I-39 on August 24, 2022, 10:07:54 PM
Quote from: cjw2001 on August 24, 2022, 12:11:46 PM
new study announcement https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/INDOT/bulletins/3294ef1

Lol. How many times to they need to study this?

Just make the road a freeway already........
Shrugs shoulders. Interesting. A coordinated attack on two major US corridors. Didn't see this coming.
monty

Terry Shea

Quote from: monty on August 24, 2022, 11:57:42 PM
Quote from: I-39 on August 24, 2022, 10:07:54 PM
new study announcement https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/INDOT/bulletins/3294ef1
Lol. How many times to they need to study this?

Just make the road a freeway already........
Shrugs shoulders. Interesting. A coordinated attack on two major US corridors. Didn't see this coming.
Huh?

NWI_Irish96

Fine if they study it, but please, please get I-65 and I-70 six-laned before worrying about US 31 between Plymouth and Peru or US 30 between Plymouth and Valpo.

silverback1065

This was done because INDOT originally wanted to do J-Turns at a lot of the remaining cross streets. the people along the corridor hated this idea, causing INDOT to go back to the drawing board. I think we all know the end result of this study will be: Make it a freeway  :-D

monty

Yesterday's INDOT announcement states they are starting a new US 31 study with a "clean slate."  

US 30 is included in the same study. https://www.lakeshorepublicradio.org/2022-08-26/indot-to-launch-studies-of-u-s-30-and-u-s-31?_amp=true

Two year process with public input driven by the coalitions of each corridor.

https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/INDOT/bulletins/329a652
monty

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.