How Come The Garden State Parkway Doesn't Have Such a Strong Conservation Lobby?

Started by kernals12, March 01, 2021, 08:24:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kernals12

The Parkways in the New York area are a treasure. The Saw Mill, the Bronx River, and the Hutchinson/Merritt Parkways are all stunningly beautiful and their ornamental overpasses, the bane of so many truckers, distinguish them from the plain rusty ones used on every other freeway. This beauty has also given rise to conservation lobbies that have fought to preserve the grandeur of these roads. Attempts to widen these roads and even to grade separate intersections have been stonewalled by these groups. But there is one exception: The Garden State Parkway. That road is constantly being improved. In some places it widens to as much as 16 lanes, and they're planning to widen more of it in the next decade. So why haven't conservation groups managed to stop that?

I think this may be another one of those things where NIMBYs are falsely blamed rather than just a lack of money. Widening the Merritt Parkway for example, would be an extremely expensive job, requiring all those bridges be replaced. But since the GSP is tolled and the NJTA's net income can only be used for the maintenance and improvements of the 3 highways it owns, there's always enough money for widening.

SectorZ

You answered your question in the second paragraph.

I also wouldn't consider the GSP to be nearly as scenic as the other examples you provided.

Pete from Boston

There is not a strong preservation culture in New Jersey, period. They still tear down 300-year-old homes in Bergen County.

Rothman

Quote from: Pete from Boston on March 01, 2021, 09:51:44 AM
There is not a strong preservation culture in New Jersey, period. They still tear down 300-year-old homes in Bergen County.
Pinelands Reserve looks at you quizzically.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Rothman on March 01, 2021, 10:18:45 AM

I'm talking about historic preservation. Having lived multiple decades each in New Jersey and New England, it seems like a comparative afterthought in NJ to me.

jeffandnicole

The Garden State Parkway, for all intents and purposes, is simply a name of the roadway.  There shouldn't be any association made to the Parkways in New York.

Quote from: Pete from Boston on March 01, 2021, 12:46:53 PM
Quote from: Rothman on March 01, 2021, 10:18:45 AM

I'm talking about historic preservation. Having lived multiple decades each in New Jersey and New England, it seems like a comparative afterthought in NJ to me.

Well, there has to be a reason for preservation.  Not every 300 year old home needs to be preserved, and there are often some questionable claims.  Many 'preservationists' come out of the woodwork when a property is sold or set to be demolished.  Even though the house is, again, 300 years old, many appear to be completely unaware of it's existence, and quickly make up unsubstituted claims to at the very least stall the demo, usually involving the possibility that a president of historic times slept at the house once.  If the building was that important, you'd think these preservationists would've been much more ready to discuss it's history.

Preservation is important.  But the likelihood a structure will be properly preserved when it's only 'discovered' at the 11th hour often doesn't happen, and it simply falls into further disrepair.

interstatefan990

A side note: Now that I think about it, I wish New York used its nickname for a parkway. "Empire State Parkway" has a nice ring to it.
Multi-lane roundabouts are an abomination to mankind.

Max Rockatansky

The GSP is a true limited commuter road whereas something like the Merritt Parkway is not.  Garden State Tollway would honestly be a more accurate description of what it actually is. 

NJRoadfan

Technically it is a "parkway" north of Exit 105 as there are truck weight and height restrictions.

The NJ Turnpike Authority did do some work documenting the southern end of the GSP before they widened it. There is an Images of America book and a website: https://www.njta.com/gsphistory/index.html

One thing they could stand to do is add historic touches to rebuilt overpasses. The most striking feature I remember from the original bridges is the green tri-beam guardrails: https://goo.gl/maps/qqHarkRy2RnMDb3v7

Very little of this remains due to retrofitting overpasses to modern standards with a Jersey Wall. The old guardrails added some flair to an otherwise boring utilitarian 1950s overpass design.

Pete from Boston

Also, and I lived in New Jersey for a long time, there is approximately zero sentimentality for the design of the Garden State Parkway among the general public.

interstatefan990

Honestly, I'm fine with old-school, narrow, two-lane, windy, height and weight restricted parkways, but not when I have to commute. If I put in a destination to my GPS and it tells me that I'm going to have to spend 15 miles on one of those, I'm just gonna take the nearest interstate instead. For quick scenic drives, it's fine, but I get tired quickly of the uncomfortably narrow lanes, sharp curves, unexpected traffic lights, and slowing down for entering traffic because there's a stop/yield sign where a merge lane would (or should?) be.

I guess you could say the GSP is an exception, though I'd have to get a little more experienced with it before declaring my verdict.
Multi-lane roundabouts are an abomination to mankind.

Alps

Quote from: SectorZ on March 01, 2021, 09:15:58 AM

I also wouldn't consider the GSP to be nearly as scenic as the other examples you provided.
It's more than that. The Merritt Conservancy is adamantly opposed to change. A lot of the NY parkways don't have traffic volumes warranting widening, or even if they do, they would still bottleneck at the rest of the connections. The Sprain and Taconic have been widened. It happens.

tolbs17

Many said it should have been named "Garden State Freeway or Highway".

kernals12

Quote from: Alps on March 01, 2021, 06:36:18 PM
Quote from: SectorZ on March 01, 2021, 09:15:58 AM

It's more than that. The Merritt Conservancy is adamantly opposed to change. A lot of the NY parkways don't have traffic volumes warranting widening, or even if they do, they would still bottleneck at the rest of the connections. The Sprain and Taconic have been widened. It happens.

Widening the Merritt would be incredibly expensive. You'd have to replace all those art deco bridges.

hotdogPi

Quote from: tolbs17 on March 01, 2021, 08:42:51 PM

The freeway in northern Indiana should be called "Interstate 80 or 90 or Indiana Toll Road". That exact phrasing. No swapping parts or deleting a part. No changing "or" to "and". Don't leave out a word, or it's wrong.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

kernals12

I think the "Parkway" is to imply that trucks are prohibited

tolbs17

Quote from: kernals12 on March 01, 2021, 08:56:43 PM

I think the "Parkway" is to imply that trucks are prohibited
But in the southern part of the state, trucks are allowed.

vdeane

Quote from: interstatefan990 on March 01, 2021, 04:26:00 PM
A side note: Now that I think about it, I wish New York used its nickname for a parkway. "Empire State Parkway" has a nice ring to it.
We have the Empire State Trail, at least.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

1995hoo

The idea of the word "parkway" automatically denoting a commercial vehicle restriction is definitely a regionalism.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Roadgeek Adam

The Parkway south of 105 has also been significantly modernized since it was built. Much of it looked like the northern section in terms of design.

I guess the question: do you want a functional road with modern design and some restrictions or a dysfunctional road with antiquated design because it looks "better" and more "Parkwayish"? I would take the former.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

roadman65

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on March 01, 2021, 10:47:29 PM
The Parkway south of 105 has also been significantly modernized since it was built. Much of it looked like the northern section in terms of design.

I guess the question: do you want a functional road with modern design and some restrictions or a dysfunctional road with antiquated design because it looks "better" and more "Parkwayish"? I would take the former.

Just look at the BW Parkway in MD.  It is all about aesthetics rather than the transport of people from one city to another. The Baltimore Washington Area built up so much, that there is no more open areas between the cities like there once was.  I remember when US 1 was semi rural from College Park to Laurel with Laurel being the only developed area between Elkridge and College Park.  Now it's loaded with strip malls and built up to the side of the road, making the need for the nearby parkway to be upgraded to handle the growth.

The GSP never was about aesthetics like the PIP in Bergen is. It was a fast way for commuters in North Jersey to commute to and from work and also on Summer Weekends to get from the metro area to the beaches of Monmouth, Ocean, Atlantic, and Cape May Counties.

It wasn't created for scenic drives like NY Parkways are known for.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: roadman65 on March 01, 2021, 11:33:35 PM

The GSP never was about aesthetics like the PIP in Bergen is. It was a fast way for commuters in North Jersey to commute to and from work and also on Summer Weekends to get from the metro area to the beaches of Monmouth, Ocean, Atlantic, and Cape May Counties.

I don't necessarily agree. When the Parkway opened in the 1950s to full length, a lot of the Parkway was made to be an experience of driving through South Jersey to Cape May, but they made sure to highlight the scenicness by having many picnic areas along the route.
Adam Seth Moss

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on March 02, 2021, 12:11:41 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on March 01, 2021, 11:33:35 PM

I don't necessarily agree. When the Parkway opened in the 1950s to full length, a lot of the Parkway was made to be an experience of driving through South Jersey to Cape May, but they made sure to highlight the scenicness by having many picnic areas along the route.

And today, there's 1 picnic area, and the Turnpike Authority seems to all but discourage its use. There's nothing on their website about the picnic area from quick glance. There are only a few small brown signs mentioning it as you approach the area, and when you get to the picnic area itself, there is no decel or accel lane off the left lane of the 65 mph roadway, or even a break in the yellow line ( https://goo.gl/maps/tsk9g8L1YguFT6n7A ) then ( https://goo.gl/maps/Z5XvBwJS3cFUj34R7 ).  The area still appears to be well maintained for those that venture in, although there are no services whatsoever...not even a portapotty!

Roadgeek Adam

Double Trouble is long grown over (save for a visible portion of the clearing) because the NJHA had enough of the mosquitos eating humans from the nearby cranberry bog in DT State Park. Herbertsville is now that NJTA facility southbound near MP 95. Oyster Creek was closed not long after Maria Marshall's murder. Polhemus Creek and Stafford Forge went not long after. Glenside and Tall Oaks were victims of being used for illegal activities a lot. Madison Hill is now the one with the fake tree cell tower.

Telegraph Hill was recently closed.

I presume the reason J. B. Townsend Shoemaker Holly still exists is because of the 300+ year old holly tree, one of the oldest in the country. Keep in mind, they had to realign the Parkway for that tree.

It is unfortunate that all but 1 is gone, but unfortunately, times have changed.
Adam Seth Moss

roadman65

Somewhat to the scenic effect, with tree buffers between the road and development and wide natural medians. However not as heavy as New York.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.