News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Does NYSDOT have a 311-type form to report problems?

Started by crispy93, October 10, 2021, 12:56:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crispy93

Hi guys, one thing I like about NYCDOT is that you can file a complaint online to the DOT/311 via their sites or even Twitter. You get an email confirmation and case number to follow along. Why doesn't NYSDOT have that for the rest of the state? If I spot a "minor" problem like a damaged sign or partially-malfunctioning traffic light, it'd be nice to fill out an online form, maybe the ability to attach pictures, and send it off.

Instead, I either have to call R8 or print out and mail a letter that, more often than not, goes un-responded to. I've tried emailing the town saying "could you let the DOT know about this problem?" "Yeah sure" and I never hear from anyone again.

I know NYSDOT has a regional email (something like r08.projects@dot.ny.gov) that I sometimes get replies from but it otherwise seems to be unmonitored. I spot a bunch of little here-and-there problems on the road that I'm sure no one else notices haha. Thanks.
Not every speed limit in NY needs to be 30

J Route Z

I have been wondering this same thing. Unfortunately I think they are making it rather tough for motorists to report general problems on state owned highways, by either calling in, sending an email, or maybe even by snail mail (not sure why one would, but I wouldn't be surprised if some do). Neighboring states have great user friendly online maintenance request forms to pin point exact locations and then often send updates on their progress of completing the request. You would think a large state like NY would have something like this. Maybe some day.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.