News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Greensboro Urban Loop

Started by Henry, February 07, 2011, 03:57:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom958

Please tell me that they'll switch to I-840 exit numbers once the loop is completed so I-73 won't exit itself.  :no:  If not, this belongs in Redesign this!

Quote from: bob7374 on April 20, 2018, 09:35:49 AM
Here's one of the photos taken by Strider at the start I-840 East at Bryan Blvd:

Strider

Unfortunately, no. That is the plan... However, when approaching I-840/Bryan interchange going south on I-73, both exits for Bryan Blvd East and I-840 East are left exits.

I-73 also exits itself at the I-85/I-73/US 220 interchange south of Greensboro, however.

sparker

I-73 still has a long way to go before it dethrones I-80 as the Interstate system's reigning TOTSO king!

Henry

Quote from: sparker on April 21, 2018, 02:29:45 PM
Quote from: Rothman on April 20, 2018, 10:45:25 AM
Love the pavement markings.  DIY lanes.

With all the state's various Interstate (and otherwise) projects, maybe they didn't have enough $$ left to sand down the old lane markings!  Looks a bit like a railroad diverging point!
LOL...true. Then again, this is a remnant from the days when I-840 ended at Bryan Boulevard.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

wdcrft63

Quote from: Henry on April 23, 2018, 09:46:42 AM
Quote from: sparker on April 21, 2018, 02:29:45 PM
Quote from: Rothman on April 20, 2018, 10:45:25 AM
Love the pavement markings.  DIY lanes.

With all the state's various Interstate (and otherwise) projects, maybe they didn't have enough $$ left to sand down the old lane markings!  Looks a bit like a railroad diverging point!
LOL...true. Then again, this is a remnant from the days when I-840 ended at Bryan Boulevard.
Well, it's still a mistake, and it should be corrected.

Eth

Quote from: bob7374 on January 24, 2018, 03:29:50 PM
There are also sign plans in the Part 2 document for I-40 since it appears NCDOT has decided to remove the Business 85 designation from that route and US 29-70 heading south back to I-85.

Any idea when that's happening? I finally clinched this route Friday (was missing the part east of US 29/70/220) and it doesn't look like there have been any changes yet.

Roadsguy

They're just gonna keep redesignating the Greensboro area expressways until the end of time, aren't they? :P
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

bob7374

Quote from: Eth on April 23, 2018, 07:49:31 PM
Quote from: bob7374 on January 24, 2018, 03:29:50 PM
There are also sign plans in the Part 2 document for I-40 since it appears NCDOT has decided to remove the Business 85 designation from that route and US 29-70 heading south back to I-85.

Any idea when that's happening? I finally clinched this route Friday (was missing the part east of US 29/70/220) and it doesn't look like there have been any changes yet.
Probably not until work is completed on the last Loop segment in 2022.  Business 85 has a few more years of life to it.

LM117

Quote from: Roadsguy on April 23, 2018, 09:47:30 PM
They're just gonna keep redesignating the Greensboro area expressways until the end of time, aren't they? :P

If it were up to me, I would've kept I-85 on it's former alignment through Greensboro and signed the entire loop as I-840 (I-73 & I-785 overlaps notwithstanding). At least the loop would then have one consistent interstate number.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

wdcrft63

Quote from: LM117 on April 24, 2018, 12:28:22 PM
Quote from: Roadsguy on April 23, 2018, 09:47:30 PM

If it were up to me, I would've kept I-85 on it's former alignment through Greensboro and signed the entire loop as I-840 (I-73 & I-785 overlaps notwithstanding). At least the loop would then have one consistent interstate number.
I support the current arrangement because it tends to deflect the I-85 through traffic away from the Death Valley stretch of I-40.

froggie

As I recall, that was the primary rationale for building that segment of the Greensboro Loop as an I-85 relocation.

orulz

Death Valley is only about 2.5 miles long, and once the northern loop is complete, Greensboro will have so many fantastic freeway bypass options, none of which are currently choked with traffic (even at rush hour!) that it's almost ridiculous. They should just hurry up, close it, and reconstruct all in one fell swoop, before traffic gets worse.. Should take a year and a half at most. Current plans have this project starting in 2022. Hopefully traffic won't be too much worse by then.

Strider

Quote from: orulz on May 01, 2018, 12:35:58 PM
Death Valley is only about 2.5 miles long, and once the northern loop is complete, Greensboro will have so many fantastic freeway bypass options, none of which are currently choked with traffic (even at rush hour!) that it's almost ridiculous. They should just hurry up, close it, and reconstruct all in one fell swoop, before traffic gets worse.. Should take a year and a half at most. Current plans have this project starting in 2022. Hopefully traffic won't be too much worse by then.

Also, they plan on rebuild the 2.5 miles of Death Valley section of I-40 in the later years (replacing all bridges and widen the road), starting with the bridge replacement over Buffalo Creek in 2019.

bob7374

NCDOT press release has link to video of groundbreaking for last section of Greensboro Loop:
https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/details.aspx?r=15247

Roadsguy

Has the bridge and loop ramp from the WB loop (NB I-785) to SB US 29 opened yet?
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

bob7374

Quote from: Roadsguy on July 30, 2018, 08:55:12 PM
Has the bridge and loop ramp from the WB loop (NB I-785) to SB US 29 opened yet?
That part of the project isn't officially to be completed until December, but its possible it could open before that time.

Roadsguy

What's the lane configuration at the I-73/I-840/Bryan Blvd interchange now? Particularly I-73 SB and its TOTSO off-ramp (Is it three lanes splitting with 2 going to 840 east and 2 to 73 south?), and I-73 NB/840 EB (Are there now four through lanes continuing through the Friendly Avenue interchange?)

Strider

As for I-73/I-840 going northbound towards Bryan interchange, I-840 uses left 3 lanes, while I-73 North uses right 2 lanes (one on the far right is an exit only lane while the other is just optional for continuing on I-840 or exit off for I-73/Bryan), for I-73 going north, 2 lanes are for I-73 North, one lane for Bryan Blvd eastbound on a separate ramp.

Going the opposite way, I-73 South is 3 lanes, approaching I-840/Bryan interchange. I-73 uses 2 right lanes, (the middle one is an optional for both Bryan Blvd East or turn to continue on I-73 South). The left lane of I-73 is an exit only for Bryan Blvd. Now, onto the I-73 south ramp towards I-840 West, both lanes are for I-83/I-840 Southbound, while I-840 east is a left exit... a separate ramp. (both exits from I-73 South for Bryan and I-840 East are left exits)

At the Friendly Ave interchange, I-73/I-840 going northbound is now 4 lanes.

Roadsguy

Quote from: Strider on August 14, 2018, 06:58:58 PM
As for I-73/I-840 going northbound towards Bryan interchange, I-840 uses left 3 lanes, while I-73 North uses right 2 lanes (one on the far right is an exit only lane while the other is just optional for continuing on I-840 or exit off for I-73/Bryan), for I-73 going north, 2 lanes are for I-73 North, one lane for Bryan Blvd eastbound on a separate ramp.

Going the opposite way, I-73 South is 3 lanes, approaching I-840/Bryan interchange. I-73 uses 2 right lanes, (the middle one is an optional for both Bryan Blvd East or turn to continue on I-73 South). The left lane of I-73 is an exit only for Bryan Blvd. Now, onto the I-73 south ramp towards I-840 West, both lanes are for I-83/I-840 Southbound, while I-840 east is a left exit... a separate ramp. (both exits from I-73 South for Bryan and I-840 East are left exits)

Thanks for the response! Does the left exit ramp from I-73 SB to I-840 EB start out as a single lane now? Is any of that ramp striped for two lanes in the final configuration?

Also, what are the exit numbers and letters? I presume I-73 exits itself southbound like it does northbound.

Strider

Quote from: Roadsguy on August 14, 2018, 07:04:44 PM

Thanks for the response! Does the left exit ramp from I-73 SB to I-840 EB start out as a single lane now? Is any of that ramp striped for two lanes in the final configuration?

Also, what are the exit numbers and letters? I presume I-73 exits itself southbound like it does northbound.

Yes, it is a single lane ramp for I-840 East, but the ramp is so wide you could make 2 lanes out of it (probably will happen in a distant future should traffic counts increase). Yes, while I-73 southbound does "exit itself", EXIT 107A is for Bryan Blvd (left exit when it is technically a straight exit). I-840 Eastbound is EXIT 107B (another left exit).

Roadsguy

Quote from: Strider on August 14, 2018, 09:42:11 PM

Yes, it is a single lane ramp for I-840 East, but the ramp is so wide you could make 2 lanes out of it (probably will happen in a distant future should traffic counts increase). Yes, while I-73 southbound does "exit itself", EXIT 107A is for Bryan Blvd (left exit when it is technically a straight exit). I-840 Eastbound is EXIT 107B (another left exit).

Huh, weird. Looking at the original configuration in older satellite imagery, it's clear that the SB-EB flyover was intended originally to be two lanes, with the I-73 SB ramp being only one lane.

As for the exits, interesting that they chose to make Bryan Blvd the exit when they didn't do the same NB for EB I-840, instead making I-73 NB be Exit 107(presumably)A.

bob7374

Quote from: Strider on August 14, 2018, 09:42:11 PM

Here are Strider's photo of the I-73 South exit signage approaching I-840:

The split of the ramps to I-73 South and I-840 East:

and on the I-73 North ramp from I-840 East:

Other photos can be found on my I-73 Segment 4 and 5 pages:
http://www.malmeroads.net/i7374nc/i73seg4.html
http://www.malmeroads.net/i7374nc/i73seg5.html#photos

sprjus4

QuoteGREENSBORO – Residents of Battle Forest Village might have to repave a fragmented parking lot on their own dime, but state highway officials are considering other ways they could help fix some of the lingering aftereffects from nearby Urban Loop construction.

Homeowners in this townhouse community of about 150 units are complaining that after construction, private contractors building the Loop's adjoining noise wall did not replace a parking lot they tore up.

State officials say it's up to the homeowners association to repave what is now a grassy field – which isn't popular with some residents.

State officials also are weighing how they might fix other problems that Battle Forest residents have pointed out in connection with the massive road project.

Items under consideration include replacing mismatched shingles on the roof of one unit affected by the project, improving some of the landscaping near the new noise wall and closing off a driveway into the development just up the street from the new highway.

Kay Thornton, the complex's property manager, said residents want to close off access from that part of the community to Lawndale Drive because the driveway is too close to the Urban Loop's future on-ramp.

The proximity could create a traffic hazard by mixing motorists accelerating toward the highway with drivers turning in and out of the driveway, residents fear.

"We agreed that if the (homeowners association) requested in writing, we would consider closing the driveway,"  said Patty Eason, a DOT engineer.

She said until the request is received, contractors are continuing with construction plans that leave the driveway in place.

Thornton, an executive with Slatter Management Services, said she could not say whether the association's board of directors was likely to make such a request at its meeting next week.

Battle Forest Village lost about 25 percent of its units to the next-to-last segment of the Urban Loop, which extends easterly from Battleground Avenue to Lawndale Drive and is expected to open later this year.

The unit with mismatched shingles was part of what remained after highway contractors demolished part of one townhouse structure to make way for the noise wall, but preserved the rest of the building and put new shingles atop the end unit.

Eason said the state agency is reviewing the requirements for roof replacement with the demolition contractor. Ultimately, if the wrong shingles were installed, "we will work to resolve that,"  she said.

But the truncated parking lot remains a sore spot with some residents. It serves several units at 3303 Regents Park Lane, forcing some residents and visitors to find other places to park.

North Carolina transportation officials contend they paid the homeowners association enough for a utility easement during construction to cover the cost of all lot repairs. But that's a claim not all Battle Forest residents accept.

Outspoken Battle Forest homeowner Jim Bishop said DOT officials and a representative of the contractor, Flatiron Construction, assured him months ago they would return the parking lot to its original condition after construction.

"What they're doing is not right,"  Bishop said of the current situation. "Flatiron and DOT said they would put it back when they got done. I was there when they said it."

County records show that the parking area is valued for tax purposes at $9,700 with some depreciation for wear and tear, but none for any loss of function.

Thornton said she did not want to speculate about whether the homeowners association would agree to repave the lot on its own or take some other action.

But Bishop said the association does not have the money to tackle the job and it should not be asked to do so.

Individual homeowners in Battle Forest Village filed a successful lawsuit against DOT for the losses in property value they might suffer because of the Urban Loop's nearby location.

However, that case did not address physical damage to such community assets as a parking lot, Bishop said.

Interesting story regarding impacts due to the Greensboro Urban Loop construction. Also, it is mentioned the segment between Battleground Ave and Lawndale Ave is slated to open by the end of the year.

https://www.greensboro.com/news/local_news/state-dot-officials-battle-forest-residents-still-at-odds-over/article_706493ab-9f17-5ccf-873f-df7f5c5bfc59.html

bob7374

Have added links to 4 new aerial videos taken by Heliflyer over the I-840 construction zone from I-785 to Lawndale Avenue. They can be accessed at: http://www.malmeroads.net/ncfutints/futloop.html#videos

ARMOURERERIC

We need to convince him to fly over the eastern ws beltline.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.