News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

NY 17/"I-86"

Started by newyorker478, October 27, 2011, 07:54:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vdeane

I don't remember where you put them, but I do remember taking them and making them a page on my site, which is probably easier to find.
http://nysroads.com/i86-ny17.php
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

sparker

Quote from: vdeane on July 05, 2017, 04:24:23 PM
Elmira to Binghamton needs the Prospect Mountain project with the I-81 interchange completed first before the rest of it can be signed.  There's also some non-standard stuff in western Broome County, but I suspect upgrading that was rolled into other projects; there was also some nonstandard stuff upgraded in Tioga County a few years ago.  Elmira-Chemung is already signed.

East of Windsor, there are a ton of little issues that need addressing, mainly things like exit ramp curvature and the like.  Most of these project, including removing the Hale Eddy at-grade intersections, have no funding.  Exit 131, however, is currently being done, and exit 125 may get done as part of the Legoland development.

Is there a timeframe for the completion of Prospect Mountain?  That project seems to have stretched on for an inordinate amount of time.  Also -- according to the map on the NYState website linked in a subsequent post, there's a significant portion west of Binghamton that's unfunded -- or is this the portion referred to as "bundled" with other related I-86 projects? 

vdeane

Currently 2020.  Yeah, that's the part I suspect got bundled with Prospect Mountain Phase II.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

seicer

The map explains why NY 17 drops to an awful 55 MPH for long stretches - even though it can and should be posted for 65 MPH with the exception of the at-grade intersections.

There are a lot of interchanges that could be combined and side ramps that could be eliminated. Do we really need Exit 93 when Exit 92 exists just west, with both carrying very little traffic?

--

The NY 17 ramp to old NY 17 at Exit 89 is probably one of the worst ramps I've encountered. I travel into the Catskills frequently and had to exit at the interchange a few weeks ago. It's a very short and steep ramp with no indication that there is a stop sign only a few hundred feet from the interstate mainline. I had to pretty much slam on my brakes to come to a rolling stop. The ramp angles you into the westbound lanes of old NY 17, which makes sense considering that it functioned as a two-lane connector from NY 17 onto the then-new NY 17 freeway.

Edit: This explains why Exit 89 is a hot mess. The NY 17 freeway was used as a temporary roadway while it was being built circa 1963.

Mergingtraffic

Still covered up in Walkill, NY.  I couldn't find the I-86 link on the NYDOT webpage anymore.
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

Roadgeek Adam

It's been like that a long time now. Hopefully that 86 shield never shows.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

seicer

Never? I can't wait. It'll be nice to have a 65 MPH freeway through the mountains instead of having the police rape motorists for their money where it's unjustified to have a 55 MPH limit.

vdeane

Pretty sure that a completed I-86 would still have the 55 mph limit where it exists now (with the exception of Hale Eddy).

seicer

I'm thinking through Hale Eddy where it will be rebuilt to much higher standards. I'm not sure why it's 55 MPH in Liberty / Monticello regions. Those acceleration/deceleration lanes are already lengthy. And down steep grades? Tell that to West Virginia, Maryland and other states with 65 MPH/70 MPH limits!

The Ghostbuster

Is the segment through Hale Eddy ever going to be converted? I thought the traffic counts were too low to warrant conversion, and vdeane mentioned in July there is no funding for such a conversion.

vdeane

Quote from: seicer on September 27, 2017, 01:57:28 PM
I'm thinking through Hale Eddy where it will be rebuilt to much higher standards. I'm not sure why it's 55 MPH in Liberty / Monticello regions. Those acceleration/deceleration lanes are already lengthy. And down steep grades? Tell that to West Virginia, Maryland and other states with 65 MPH/70 MPH limits!
The 55 zone is much longer than that.  It starts just west of Hale Eddy but doesn't end until east of Roscoe.  Removing that at-grades in Hale Eddy will not affect anything between Hancock and Roscoe.

Roadgeek Adam

I'm not making a change to a section of highways whose numbers have been dropping for the sake of a pointless designation change. Let Hale Eddy keep it's at-grade intersection
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

seicer

(Eye roll.)

As for the Hale Eddy segment, it calls for construction in 2018. I'm not sure if this is still accurate.

What other deficient segments are there further east that need upgrading? I can't find anything on the NYSDOT site about it.

As I've traveled this quite a lot recently, I noticed the I-86 designation will end at I-84 - as evidenced by the signs along I-84, some of which now reveal I-86 shields. Is there a reason it won't go further east to the NY Thruway?

vdeane

Basically little things.  Hale Eddy and exit 131 are the only two remaining flashy projects.  The rest is a lot of little, unsexy things.
http://nysroads.com/i86-ny17.php

I-86 was planned to go to I-87.  I'm not sure exactly what is going on in Region 8, but I suspect that it was intended to be signed as a standalone segment similar to the piece east of Binghamton (the signs went up as part of an upgrade project), and then left covered when it became clear that the rest of the Quickway wouldn't be upgraded anytime in the foreseeable future.

Henry

Keeping the I-86 signs covered up doesn't make any sense at all. The very least that could've been done is put up Future versions of those signs as a sign that they intend to complete it all the way to I-87 one day.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

seicer

Is the NY 17 designation going away? Some of those I-86 signs are literally in front of the NY 17 signs.

roadman65

Is not NY 17 built to interstate standards from I-84 to I-87?  Being it connects to two interstates it could still be signed then.  If or if not NYSDOT decides to upgrade from I-84 to Windsor, it would not be the first time an interstate is discontinuous, hence I-95 and of course I-74 between the NC-VA border and Cincinnati.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Rothman

No.  No no no.

My bet is Hale Eddy will be pushed off again.

There is no current push to complete the conversion.  The last plan was to just take care of the major issues and leave the rest alone due to fiscal constraints.

To spend money on the luxury of the total conversion when NYSDOT has many other more routine and quasi-emergency priorities that it is struggling to meet would be foolish from an engineering standpoint and possibly political suicide.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

seicer

The design work is essentially complete for the Hale Eddy segment, it's just funding the construction. I think that's one of the few remaining major issues left, other than eliminating some of those wonky right-in, right-out interchanges. It wouldn't surprise me if the shoulders needed widening or some bridge heights raised.

kalvado

Quote from: seicer on September 29, 2017, 10:42:02 AM
The design work is essentially complete for the Hale Eddy segment, it's just funding the construction. I think that's one of the few remaining major issues left, other than eliminating some of those wonky right-in, right-out interchanges. It wouldn't surprise me if the shoulders needed widening or some bridge heights raised.
Would be interesting to take a peek at those plans. When I looked at HE map, my first thought was that there is plainly not enough room without literally moving the mountain...

vdeane

There was an image on the project website; not sure if can still be dug up or not.

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: vdeane on September 29, 2017, 12:59:21 PM
There was an image on the project website; not sure if can still be dug up or not.

I had a hard time finding anything.  Good luck
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

JJBers

Why can't NYDOT pull a Breezewood and designate I-86 fully now. It's only a few random intersections in the middle of nowhere.
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,
(2di:I-24, I-76, I-80, I-84, I-95 [ME-GA], I-91)

empirestate

Quote from: seicer on September 29, 2017, 10:42:02 AM

Didn't realize it had got even that far. What's the selected alternative?

iPhone

vdeane

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on September 29, 2017, 02:52:43 PM
Quote from: vdeane on September 29, 2017, 12:59:21 PM

I had a hard time finding anything.  Good luck
https://www.dot.ny.gov/portal/page/portal/regional-offices/region9/projects/nys-rte17-hale_eddy-hancock/visualizations

Quote from: JJBers on September 29, 2017, 04:40:58 PM
Why can't NYDOT pull a Breezewood and designate I-86 fully now. It's only a few random intersections in the middle of nowhere.
There are a LOT of not immediately obvious substandard features along that route, not just the at-grades in Hale Eddy.  Interstate standards go well above being an access controlled freeway with at least two lanes per carriageway.  There's shoulder/lane width, median width, running grade, cross slope, acceleration/deceleration lane length, ramp/roadway curvature, curve banking, sight distance (this factor, for example, is what caused the full depth reconstruction from NY 17K to I-84 that sparked this conversation), etc.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.