News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Nebraska

Started by Revive 755, March 29, 2009, 11:53:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SD Mapman

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on December 23, 2021, 10:41:48 PM
I watched BigRigTravel's live stream today, and at 6:26:15 in the video, you can see that I-76 is signed N-S on the BGS. I am curious as to what the mile markers are signed in Nebraska on that section of 76. N-S or E-W directions?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIr9k3DOxCk
E-W, just traveled that a few days ago.
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

TheHighwayMan3561

Wait, when did they flip the configuration to have I-76 exit on the right from I-80 WB?
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

J N Winkler

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on December 26, 2021, 08:05:35 PMWait, when did they flip the configuration to have I-76 exit on the right from I-80 WB?

This was part of the just-finished interchange rebuild, which was advertised for construction in the spring of 2019.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

mvak36

https://omaha.com/news/state-and-regional/govt-and-politics/state-plans-to-widen-7-5-miles-of-i-80-just-west-of-lincoln/article_78806196-f948-5e11-b050-28e67d1c8b61.html#tracking-source=home-the-latest

QuoteThe first stretch of the planned, six-lane interstate between Lincoln and Grand Island is now more than a wish – but it's still five years from completion.

The state Department of Transportation recently added a 7.5-mile Interstate 80 widening project – from Northwest 56th Street to the Pleasant Dale exit – to its 2022-2025 state transportation improvement plan.

It plans to hire contractors for the estimated $130 million project next year, with construction expected to start in 2024 and end in 2027, said spokeswoman Jeni Campana.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

Stephane Dumas

Google maps did an update of aerial shots, they show now the South Lincoln Beltway in construction.
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.6925584,-96.6409687,6795m/data=!3m1!1e3

The Ghostbuster

Any updates on whether an Eastern Lincoln Beltway might be constructed? Also, when was NE 2's duplex with US 34 severed between Grand Island and Lincoln, leaving NE 2 with an eastern and western segment, and why?

edwaleni

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on January 24, 2022, 05:09:21 PM
Any updates on whether an Eastern Lincoln Beltway might be constructed? Also, when was NE 2's duplex with US 34 severed between Grand Island and Lincoln, leaving NE 2 with an eastern and western segment, and why?

https://www.lincoln.ne.gov/City/Departments/LTU/LTU-Projects/Planned/East-Beltway

The city was purchasing the ROW in 2019.

In 2020 the Lincoln highway director was pitching a tollroad concept as the only way to expedite construction.

So in 2022, I would surmise its needs funding.

mvak36

Quote from: edwaleni on January 24, 2022, 11:02:57 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on January 24, 2022, 05:09:21 PM

https://www.lincoln.ne.gov/City/Departments/LTU/LTU-Projects/Planned/East-Beltway

The city was purchasing the ROW in 2019.

In 2020 the Lincoln highway director was pitching a tollroad concept as the only way to expedite construction.

So in 2022, I would surmise its needs funding.

Yes, you are right.

Back in 2016/2017 time when they picked the project for the next 10 years of the Build Nebraska Act, this project was one of the projects chosen for Planning. I don't think it's anywhere close to construction. It is definitely needed though. I'm not sure tolls will go over well, but crazier stuff has happened I suppose.

chays

Will the Lincoln South Beltway have a route # once complete? I'm seeing a late 2022 date for the estimated completion.

yakra

Quote from: chays on January 25, 2022, 01:31:03 PM
Will the Lincoln South Beltway have a route # once complete?
I believe it'll be a relocated NE2.

I'm seeing a late 2022 date for the estimated completion.
I see May 1, 2023 Open to Traffic / April 30, 2024 Final Completion
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: SD Mapman on December 24, 2021, 05:26:45 PM
Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on December 23, 2021, 10:41:48 PM
I watched BigRigTravel's live stream today, and at 6:26:15 in the video, you can see that I-76 is signed N-S on the BGS. I am curious as to what the mile markers are signed in Nebraska on that section of 76. N-S or E-W directions?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIr9k3DOxCk
E-W, just traveled that a few days ago.

does 76 in nebraska even have a mile marker? the nebraska part of 76 is really small.. i thought it was under a mile, but it's been a long time since i've been out there.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

US 89

Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on January 25, 2022, 05:02:52 PM
does 76 in nebraska even have a mile marker? the nebraska part of 76 is really small.. i thought it was under a mile, but it's been a long time since i've been out there.

The internet is your friend. Wikipedia says the Nebraska length of 76 is 3.15 miles.

As for mile markers...well, there used to be at least one, but it's not there anymore thanks to the reconstruction projects. I bet if/when it's all done, it'll have the Nebraska style enhanced mile markers every 0.5 mile like the ones on 80.

Revive 755

Quote from: yakra on January 25, 2022, 02:45:43 PM

IIRC - and this might have changed since I heard it - Highway 2 was going onto the Beltway with current Highway 2 becoming a locally-maintained business route.

mrose

NE2 is going on the beltway. They are moving the old alignment and configuring it to meet up as a diamond interchange.

SD Mapman

Quote from: US 89 on January 25, 2022, 07:29:08 PM

The internet is your friend. Wikipedia says the Nebraska length of 76 is 3.15 miles.

As for mile markers...well, there used to be at least one, but it's not there anymore thanks to the reconstruction projects. I bet if/when it's all done, it'll have the Nebraska style enhanced mile markers every 0.5 mile like the ones on 80.
They're already up, and they are the NE enhanced mile markers. Since it's out in the Panhandle, they're spaced every mile (so there's only 3 each way).
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

SD Mapman

Quote from: yakra on January 25, 2022, 02:45:43 PM
Yeah, that's how NDOT usually does beltways, the stretch of Nebraska Highway through Lincoln itself will likely be removed from the state system and L55W will probably go away as well.

Scott5114

Has anyone even asked NE2 if he's fine with being relocated?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

mrose

I thought once the east belt was finished the entire thing would make a good I-780 (77 to 80, geddit?) but that's a long way from happening. Curious to see what number they would give to the eastern segment since it won't be part of NE 2.

Revive 755

^ The way the US 77/South Beltway interchange and at the Highway 2/South Beltway/East Beltway interchange are being setup to have the betlway as the main road make me wonder if Nebraska is planning to seek a single number for the full beltway (I- or NE 280?)

Though theoretically US 77 could be relocated over the South and East Beltways, with Highway 2 taking over for US 77 between I-80 and the South Beltway.

US 89

Quote from: SD Mapman on January 28, 2022, 01:09:50 PM

They're already up, and they are the NE enhanced mile markers. Since it's out in the Panhandle, they're spaced every mile (so there's only 3 each way).

I could swear they were every half mile out in the sticks when I drove through in 2020. Guess I remembered wrong. I know they are closer (0.2 or maybe even 0.1 miles?) in the Lincoln/Omaha areas.

SD Mapman

Quote from: US 89 on January 30, 2022, 02:47:25 PM
Quote from: SD Mapman on January 28, 2022, 01:09:50 PM

I could swear they were every half mile out in the sticks when I drove through in 2020. Guess I remembered wrong. I know they are closer (0.2 or maybe even 0.1 miles?) in the Lincoln/Omaha areas.
Yeah, it's 1 mile starting out from WY, then goes to 0.5 miles somewhere around North Platte. I'm not exactly sure where the switchover is, and it could even be at I-76.

mvak36

https://omaha.com/news/state-and-regional/nebraska-lawmakers-consider-expanding-parts-of-highway-81-highway-20/article_67a62aba-82ab-11ec-a0fc-af1e417bf295.html

Nebraska lawmakers are weighing a bill that would widen stretches of U.S. Highway 81 and Nebraska Highway 20 through the state.

The Legislature's Transportation and Telecommunications Committee took up Legislative Bill 1274, a proposal from Sen. Mike Flood of Norfolk, during a hearing Monday.

The bill requires the Nebraska Department of Transportation to plan, design and purchase rights of way for portions of the two highways.

Flood, whose district includes Madison County and southern Pierce County, proposed widening the portion of Highway 81 that runs from York to Columbus, as well as the stretch from Norfolk to Yankton, South Dakota.

The proposal would expand Highway 81, which runs north and south through the state, from two lanes to four along those stretches.

The bill, Flood said, has the support of senators along the corridor.

It would also expand Nebraska Highway 20, which runs east and west through the state, between Highway 81 and the Iowa border to a four-lane divided highway.

yakra

I'm going to assume that by "Nebraska Highway 20", they meant US20 rather than Nebraska Highway 2.
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

J N Winkler

Quote from: yakra on February 01, 2022, 11:07:18 AMI'm going to assume that by "Nebraska Highway 20", they meant US 20 rather than Nebraska Highway 2.

I think that is a fair assumption.  The lengths of US 81 mentioned also appear to include all the segments that have not already been widened to four-lane divided in Nebraska.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

mvak36

Quote from: yakra on February 01, 2022, 11:07:18 AM
I'm going to assume that by "Nebraska Highway 20", they meant US20 rather than Nebraska Highway 2.
Yes it is US20. I'm curious to see what will happen if this passes, specifically the US20 part because NE35 is a part of HPC 23 from Norfolk to S. Sioux City. I know they were talking about expanding NE 35 in the past but that hasn't gone anywhere. And if they expand US 20, is widening still needed on NE35?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.