North Carolina's Famed Truck-Scalping Bridge Nears 100 Recorded Crashes

Started by mrsman, July 22, 2015, 11:07:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian556

This situation poses a danger to other vehicles as well. Debris is coming off the trucks and campers that hit the bridge, and could strike another vehicle. Also, vehicles that hit the bridge come to a sudden stop, which could also cause an accident.

I'll be the government's attitude towards this is "If they can't read the signs, fuck them". Unfortunately, they fail to take into account the safety of other road users, as well as traffic congestion and emergency response burden caused by this.

They defiantly should fix this situation.

wdcrft63

Definitely. Apparently, this is the plan (as reported by WTVD-TV on June 22):

"The NC Department of Transportation agrees. In addition to the head bar and flashing lights already in place, the DOT plans to make this a lighted intersection. Drivers in all directions will stop when there's an over-height vehicle.

" 'It will go to red when an over-height vehicle is detected and force them off the side street,' explained John Sandor, a DOT Engineer. "Signs will illuminate that an overheight vehicle was detected and they must exit the road."

Brian556

I was thinking about why drivers have such a hard time with clearances. Humans have their eyes near the top of their body. Drivers sit about halfway up the height of a truck.

If humans had their eyes at belly button level, I suspect they would bump their heads on low objects much more frequently.

It's ridiculous that they want to just install signals instead of actually solving the problem.

Half assers. Cheapskates.

mcdonaat

Quote from: Brian556 on August 08, 2015, 09:01:56 AM
I was thinking about why drivers have such a hard time with clearances. Humans have their eyes near the top of their body. Drivers sit about halfway up the height of a truck.

If humans had their eyes at belly button level, I suspect they would bump their heads on low objects much more frequently.

It's ridiculous that they want to just install signals instead of actually solving the problem.

Half assers. Cheapskates.
The problem would be having to raise the bridge, which means raising the railroad grade for at least a good distance on each side. Now, what about creating a no-truck zone, where trucks CANNOT use the road? No trucks on road means no bridge-hitting.

kkt

Either close the underpass, make it pedestrian only, or fill it up and make it a level grade crossing like Duke St.

It's not a matter of more signage or higher fines; the drivers aren't ramming the bridge on purpose, they're just clueless about how tall their vehicle is.

mrsman

Quote from: kkt on August 08, 2015, 11:53:49 PM
Either close the underpass, make it pedestrian only, or fill it up and make it a level grade crossing like Duke St.

It's not a matter of more signage or higher fines; the drivers aren't ramming the bridge on purpose, they're just clueless about how tall their vehicle is.

Yes, that's the point.  The drivers here don't realize how tall their vehicle is, so they hit the bridge.

Although before closing the bridge completely, I believe that it may be worthwhile to make it passenger cars only with a signed truck bypass on another street to see if that significantly reduces the crashes.  If it doesn't then one of your suggestions should take place.

WashuOtaku

Quote from: mrsman on August 09, 2015, 06:55:04 AM
Quote from: kkt on August 08, 2015, 11:53:49 PM

Yes, that's the point.  The drivers here don't realize how tall their vehicle is, so they hit the bridge.

Although before closing the bridge completely, I believe that it may be worthwhile to make it passenger cars only with a signed truck bypass on another street to see if that significantly reduces the crashes.  If it doesn't then one of your suggestions should take place.

I was at that underpass last week and I noticed while driving through Durham that there are several low bridges in the city, yet this one location gets the most attention.  One block over a road crosses at-grade with the train tracks, the only issue I see with the street is the fact its one-way, but still can avoid the underpass because a street crosses in front allowing trucks to avoid it at the last possible second before impact.  Also, I did see truck route signs in area, so they do exist. 

The reality is that the truck drivers hitting the bridge either to ignorant of their height (i.e. they drive rental box cars typically) or they not paying attention.

I also took pictures, I'll post if you want to see.

kkt

Last time I rented a truck, the height of the truck was posted in pretty big numbers on the inside of the cab on the A pillar, and I was given a verbal warning to check bridge heights, take-out window heights, etc., against it.  Do truck rental agencies in Durham do that?

1995hoo

Quote from: kkt on August 09, 2015, 11:23:02 AM
Last time I rented a truck, the height of the truck was posted in pretty big numbers on the inside of the cab on the A pillar, and I was given a verbal warning to check bridge heights, take-out window heights, etc., against it.  Do truck rental agencies in Durham do that?

The last truck I rented also had it printed on the side of the vehicle so you'd see it when you looked in the mirrors (outside mirrors only on that truck).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

mcdonaat

What about sending trucks along Business 70 to Buchanan Street? It's an at-grade crossing, and looks to be a little quicker too...

Signage would be much cheaper than filling in a tunnel, fixing drainage, replacing a crossing, and having to shut down major intersections as well.

Sykotyk

Quote from: mcdonaat on August 10, 2015, 12:10:20 AM
What about sending trucks along Business 70 to Buchanan Street? It's an at-grade crossing, and looks to be a little quicker too...

Signage would be much cheaper than filling in a tunnel, fixing drainage, replacing a crossing, and having to shut down major intersections as well.

Because if they didn't read the height sign, I doubt they'll read the 'no trucks' sign.

The problem isn't 'big trucks', it's little trucks, RVs, and rental/moving trucks. The rental/moving trucks and the smaller delivery box trucks seem to hit with the most frequency. The bigger, taller 13'6 trucks already know not to go into that area. And local trucks probably know. it's the non-locals that get screwed up, especially those who aren't used to driving tall trucks. You can tell them 'check your height', but when they've gone 5, 10, 15 years driving without doing it, telling them once won't make them do it.

Suddenly make one street in one town drive on the left (with adequate signage in advance) and see how many times drivers drive on the right. Similar situation.

D-Dey65

Sometimes I wonder if some idiots try to drive their trucks under that bridge just so they can get on another viral video.

:rolleyes:

freebrickproductions

I saw on Facebook that they are putting up some traffic lights at the intersection next to the bridge.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Jardine

I note several posts in this thread seem to greatly overestimate the intelligence of the average driver, and also fail to address that 1/2 of all drivers are less intelligent than the average.

:-D

rickmastfan67

Quote from: freebrickproductions on February 16, 2016, 02:25:25 PM
I saw on Facebook that they are putting up some traffic lights at the intersection next to the bridge.

Got a link?

Big John

Quote from: Jardine on February 16, 2016, 04:21:26 PM
I note several posts in this thread seem to greatly overestimate the intelligence of the average driver, and also fail to address that 1/2 of all drivers are less intelligent than the average.

Are they assuming this is in Lake Wobegon?

(Where everybody is above average)

AlexandriaVA

This axiom always bugs me because it's not correct. 50% of all drivers are below the median, not mean, intelligence. For instance, if there is a universe of 10 drivers, and one of them has an IQ of 150 (genius) and the other 9 have IQs of 90 (normal), then the average is  96, and thus 90% of the population is below average.

It is true in a universe where you have a Gaussian (normal) distribution, the mean will be the same as the median, but that's never a forgone conclusion...

cl94

Quote from: AlexandriaVA on February 16, 2016, 06:30:28 PM

This axiom always bugs me because it's not correct. 50% of all drivers are below the median, not mean, intelligence. For instance, if there is a universe of 10 drivers, and one of them has an IQ of 150 (genius) and the other 9 have IQs of 90 (normal), then the average is  96, and thus 90% of the population is below average.

It is true in a universe where you have a Gaussian (normal) distribution, the mean will be the same as the median, but that's never a forgone conclusion...

With the sample size we have and the fact that the IQ scale is designed specifically to have a normal distribution, the population median does equal the population mean, with an SD of around 15. We can assume a normal distribution. Assuming that everyone is able to drive regardless of IQ, the average driver would have IQ = mean = median = 100, thus 50% of the population (and thus drivers) would be less intelligent than average.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Jardine

Pete from Boston

Perhaps a Pennsylvania-style mandatory truck pull-off with instructions is in order.

But there's no effective deterrent short of something else the trucks can't physically make it under.  Red lights are a really good way of getting people to know to stop, but plenty of idiots don't.

cl94

Quote from: Pete from Boston on February 16, 2016, 07:56:35 PM
Perhaps a Pennsylvania-style mandatory truck pull-off with instructions is in order.

I've seen both PA and NY do that. Really nice if you're that car stuck behind a slow truck.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

kkt

Quote from: cl94 on February 16, 2016, 07:57:57 PM
Quote from: Pete from Boston on February 16, 2016, 07:56:35 PM
I've seen both PA and NY do that. Really nice if you're that car stuck behind a slow truck.

Could be worse... could be in that car behind a high truck that gets its top peeled off and dropped on top of your car.

AlexandriaVA

Quote from: cl94 on February 16, 2016, 06:38:43 PM
Quote from: AlexandriaVA on February 16, 2016, 06:30:28 PM

With the sample size we have and the fact that the IQ scale is designed specifically to have a normal distribution, the population median does equal the population mean, with an SD of around 15. We can assume a normal distribution. Assuming that everyone is able to drive regardless of IQ, the average driver would have IQ = mean = median = 100, thus 50% of the population (and thus drivers) would be less intelligent than average.

I would argue that North Carolinians tend to hug the left end of that bell curve as a rule, but that's neither here nor there...

Jardine

Perhaps a sensor on the front edge of the bridge could be wired up to release some big scary spiky eviscerating wall of death device on the opposite side of the bridge ?

Impale a few careless drivers, and the rest of the herd might take notice.

It would make for some cool videos too, as the top of the truck peels off, the wall of death swings down from the far side of the overpass and impales everyone in the cab of the truck.

wdcrft63

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.