News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Highways / Signs in Movies, TV Shows, and Videos

Started by Alex, February 11, 2009, 05:44:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: StogieGuy7 on October 03, 2012, 10:10:05 AM
Quote from: kphoger on October 02, 2012, 09:14:22 PM
However, the route shield also appears to be doctored; although I am not having any luck verifying that "INT" is not used as a plaque in Puerto Rico, the letters don't really mean anything, and there isn't a highway 941 anywhere on the island anyway.

Yes INT is indeed used (commonly) in Puerto Rico as is documented in this Puerto Rican transit manual (2/3 of the way down):

http://www.dtop.gov.pr/pdf/SenalesdeTransito.pdf

The manual is from 1979 and predates the realignment of shields, so it describes the old circle as seen in the film.  I believe that INT means "Interseccion" (like JCT).  However, in all of my travels through the rest of Latin America, I do not recall this type of marking used anywhere aside from Puerto Rico.  Based on what I saw in the video, there's no question in my mind that this was filmed on la isla del encanto, a.k.a. the home of the coqui

Indeed, the reference is M2-1, which corresponds to the JCT plaque in the rest of the United States.  I'm used to the Spanish of México, where  entronque (junction) and cruce (crossing) are the words you'll find on road signs.  It must be assumed that, as you believe, INT is short for intersección; I had just never heard that word before, nor had I ever seen a road sign with it (except the abbreviation Puente Int., in which it is short for Internacionál).  Thank you very much for the reference.

Now, has there ever been a highway 941 in PR?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

StogieGuy7

Quote from: kphoger on October 03, 2012, 10:35:10 AM

Sí señor!

There is a Ruta 941 which leads from Gurabo, along the Rio Grande de Loiza, past Lago Loiza, ending in a portion of Trujillo Alto.  Based on the photos I have seen, it's entirely possible that the scene in question was filmed in Gurabo.

kphoger

Quote from: StogieGuy7 on October 03, 2012, 10:58:28 AM

Sí señor!

There is a Ruta 941 which leads from Gurabo, along the Rio Grande de Loiza, past Lago Loiza, ending in a portion of Trujillo Alto.  Based on the photos I have seen, it's entirely possible that the scene in question was filmed in Gurabo.

Ah, thank you!  That's what I get for trusting Wikipedia, right (no highway 941 listed)?

The Carrasquillo Discount furniture store is on Calle Ángel C. Morales, which is two blocks from where Google Maps last shows PR-941.  The snapshot upthread shows angle parking, with a narrow concrete drainage area between the street and the parked cars.  With these clues and your validation of the "INT 941" assembly, I have determined that the car in question (with doctored Jalisco license plate) is travelling northbound on Calle Santiago in Gurabo, Puerto Rico–along the west side of the Plaza de Recreo–roughly here.

This was so much fun!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

agentsteel53

Quote from: kphoger on October 03, 2012, 10:35:10 AMIt must be assumed that, as you believe, INT is short for intersección; I had just never heard that word before, nor had I ever seen a road sign with it

Alabama used to put "Intersection" instead of "Junction" as a banner back in the day.  I have a photo of an AL-26 shield with an INTERSECTION banner, and I believe there are others still remaining.  the gantry looks to be about 1960s.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Scott5114

Quote from: kphoger on October 03, 2012, 11:23:04 AM

Sí señor!

Ah, thank you!  That's what I get for trusting Wikipedia, right (no highway 941 listed)?

To be fair, none of us Wikipedia roadgeeks know a damn thing about Puerto Rico, and the people that do know enough about Puerto Rican roads to write about them...speak Spanish. :/
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 04, 2012, 05:58:23 AM

Sí señor!

To be fair, none of us Wikipedia roadgeeks know a damn thing about Puerto Rico, and the people that do know enough about Puerto Rican roads to write about them...speak Spanish. :/

Pues, es obvio que aquellos no postean artículos en español tampoco.....considering there are only two highways listed.
Male pronouns, please.

StogieGuy7

Quote from: kphoger on October 04, 2012, 01:48:28 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on October 04, 2012, 05:58:23 AM

Sí señor!

Pues, es obvio que aquellos no postean artículos en español tampoco.....considering there are only two highways listed.

Those are carreteras (freeways), not regular marked highways.  Yes, there are far more than two carreteras, but you weren't going to locate PR 941 by looking for those.

D-Dey65

Getting back to the subject of highway scenes in movies, remember when I mentioned those unconventional pedestrian signals in Central Park? Well, here's one from the 1973 NYPD buddy cop movie "Cops and Robbers."

D-Dey65

Somebody on IMCDb posted a few unusual(for the USA)  traffic and pedestrian signals from the mid-1960's British Police Drama "Gideon's Way."
http://www.imcdb.org/movie.php?id=158411

formulanone

Quote from: D-Dey65 on November 09, 2012, 07:28:48 AM
...the mid-1960's British Police Drama "Gideon's Way."
http://www.imcdb.org/movie.php?id=158411

(...plus BRM P57 and Brabham BT7/11 sightings.) Can't find my old login at IMCDB.

jeffandnicole

Which road is used as the Cherry Hill, NJ rural roadway in "Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle"?  The sparsely traveled road shown in the movie, along with the restaurant and the rest of the scenery, certainly does not exist in the real Cherry Hill in New Jersey, which is very urban in nature...not to mention congested! 

Having said that, it did inspire me to take a ride to a real White Castle; the closest one of which is about an hour northeast of the real Cherry Hill.

roadman65

I do not know if someone mentioned this before, but the original I-4 and I-275 interchange in Tampa as well as the old Sunshine Skyway Bridges were used in Smokey And The Bandit II.

Lets not forget Eddie Murphy in Beverly Hills Cop driving, I believe I-94 through the Detroit area, at the opening of the  first of the two part movie series.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

StogieGuy7

Has anyone here mentioned Duel yet?  I believe it was Stephen Spielburg's first film and it starred Dennis Weaver.  Lots of scenes of highways/freeways from L.A., through (what is now) Santa Clarita and on into the mountains of northern L.A. County - as they were in 1971.  With a few snippets of Dick Whittington as he was when he was on KGIL. 

Great movie and a fascinating window back into time..... 

BamaZeus

I don't think this one has been mentioned yet, but Without a Trace with Judd Hirsch had plenty of NYC-area roadways on it.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-MBcAcRKIY  (audio track is a bit off in the preview)

Hirsch's character, a NYPD detective, and his son are on 287 and make the turn to Bridgeport, where they eventually find the kidnapped boy.  In the final scenes, they return to Brooklyn via I-95 and clearly show the Bruckner Interchange.  Then, for some reason in the next shot, I guess for dramatic effect, they're crossing the Brooklyn Bridge to go to Brooklyn, instead of going through Queens.

Anyway, it's a really good movie if you ever see it on cable.

hm insulators

Quote from: StogieGuy7 on November 12, 2012, 03:38:02 PM
Has anyone here mentioned Duel yet?  I believe it was Stephen Spielburg's first film and it starred Dennis Weaver.  Lots of scenes of highways/freeways from L.A., through (what is now) Santa Clarita and on into the mountains of northern L.A. County - as they were in 1971.  With a few snippets of Dick Whittington as he was when he was on KGIL. 

Ah, good ol' Dick Whittington; "Sweet Dick" as he was known by his fans. My mother and I were fans of his back in the 1970s; my father always preferred Lohman and Barkley.
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

D-Dey65

Quote from: formulanone on November 09, 2012, 09:00:21 AM
(...plus BRM P57 and Brabham BT7/11 sightings.) Can't find my old login at IMCDB.
You were on IMCDb? Maybe I can contact the webmaster so he can help you get back on.

formulanone

Quote from: D-Dey65 on December 11, 2012, 11:13:13 PM
Quote from: formulanone on November 09, 2012, 09:00:21 AM
You were on IMCDb? Maybe I can contact the webmaster so he can help you get back on.

I forgot my password/email address, although it was probably 6 years ago since I last logged on. No big deal, I'm on enough websites!

roadman

Quote from: StogieGuy7 on November 12, 2012, 03:38:02 PM

What's interesting about Duel is that all the LA freeway scenes in the opening credits weren't in Spielberg's original film, which was an ABC-TV Movie of the Week.  The opening credits were redone to include the freeway montage once Universal decided to release it in theaters overseas, where it became an instant hit.

Most TV re-runs, as well as the recent DVD release of the movie, are the European theatrical version of the film.  However, at least one copy of the original 1972 ABC-TV version exists (complete with period commercials), and was available for public viewing at one point, at the Museum of Broadcasting in New York City.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

jwolfer

Quote from: BamaZeus on November 13, 2012, 11:36:29 AM
I don't think this one has been mentioned yet, but Without a Trace with Judd Hirsch had plenty of NYC-area roadways on it.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-MBcAcRKIY  (audio track is a bit off in the preview)

Hirsch's character, a NYPD detective, and his son are on 287 and make the turn to Bridgeport, where they eventually find the kidnapped boy.  In the final scenes, they return to Brooklyn via I-95 and clearly show the Bruckner Interchange.  Then, for some reason in the next shot, I guess for dramatic effect, they're crossing the Brooklyn Bridge to go to Brooklyn, instead of going through Queens.

Anyway, it's a really good movie if you ever see it on cable.

Shots in movies are for dramatice effect... not for real travel routes and times... the TV show called "The Glades" is set in Florida and actually filmed in Ft Lauderdale I think.  But the show scripts deal with every part of  Florida and make it seem like everything is real close

PAHighways

After opening my presents and having some Turkey, I went to see Jack Reacher.

Aside from numerous Pittsburgh city streets, I-279/East Street Valley Expressway, the obligatory shot coming out of the Fort Pitt Tunnel, a brief section of I-376/Parkway Central, and PA 65/Ohio River Boulevard are featured.

Mark68

I know that a lot of the freeway scenes in "Speed" were filmed on the then-unopened Glenn Anderson Freeway (I-105) in LA.

The Orange Plaza in downtown Orange, CA has been used in a number of movies, including the "American Pie" series.

The scenes that are meant to represent I-10 in Santa Monica/West LA in "Battle: LA" were actually filmed on/near I-10 in Baton Rouge.
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."~Yogi Berra

cpzilliacus

Several freeways in Baltimore, Maryland were featured in the 1990's NBC-TV series Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets, including I-95, I-895, I-395 and (the former) I-170.

Not sure I ever saw I-83 in a Homicide episode.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Stephane Dumas

There is a road scene filmed in a scene of Harold & Maude when they chat with a police officer. I wondered it was filmed on which road?

vtk

In the movie Ted, the creepy guy who kidnaps Ted lives next to an alley that's one-way downhill, but he parks in that alley facing uphill.  And then John and Lori drive the alley going the wrong way in persuit of the guy.

But there are a lot of recognizeable Boston locations in the film, including the Zakim Bridge and the Expressway (Big Dig) Tunnel.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Stephane Dumas

Here a vintage view of Brooklyn bridge, circa 1942 from Tarzan's New York adventure.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.