Highways / Signs in Movies, TV Shows, and Videos

Started by Alex, February 11, 2009, 05:44:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PHLBOS

Since somebody mentioned signs in commercial advertisements; when Ford launched its then-newly-downsized LTD (which would later become the Crown Victoria) for the 1979 model year; it used an Interstate shield to promote the Panther-platformed coupe/sedan/wagon as a New American Road Car in its still advertisements and brochures.

1979 Ford LTD brochure page 7
GPS does NOT equal GOD

gibranalnn

Quote from: gibranalnn on December 18, 2014, 09:13:42 PM
^ I dunno

But from Disney's BOLT movie...

^^ This one uses Lucida Grande (?), but that generic SR shield is correct with FHWA.
And please redesign.
Tokufan, mecha enthusiast, transport, architecture and cityplanning fan from Jakarta.

SteveG1988

The Love Bug 1968

And then the bad guys modify this sign to point the opposite directions

Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

SteveG1988

What highways are featured in this video? It is filmed in Maryland
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

gibranalnn

Tokufan, mecha enthusiast, transport, architecture and cityplanning fan from Jakarta.

theline

I recently treated Mrs. theline to a movie night, and we saw the Golden Globe winner, Big Eyes. We enjoyed it thoroughly and, as an unrepentant road geek, I especially enjoyed checking out the roads from the '50s and '60s. I appreciated the lane markings in the early scenes, noticing that the center line on two-lane California roads was the proper (for the time) white, which changed from skipped to solid at the curves. Was it proper at that time that the center line on curves be a single, solid white line, rather than yellow or double-yellow?

I was appreciating that they actually went to the trouble to paint the lines the proper 1950s color, when it occurred to me that they may have actually just drawn the lines the right color in post-production. I'm not sure what the economics are for physically painting the lines vs. CGI. Any thoughts on that?

vtk

Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

gibranalnn

Total Recall 2012
I saw some British-ey road signs (cos some do not comply to The TSRGD).

And at the same movie I saw the road system at the UFB (present time UK) was different than what we know now: Primary A roads, non primary A and B roads still original but no motorways.

The UK (the UFB on this movie) even uses Interstate highways in the future, replacing motorways???

And

PHLBOS

GPS does NOT equal GOD

KG909

~Fuccboi

Brandon

^^ That sign looks authentic.  I wonder where in NW Indiana or Chicago it is.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

roadman

Quote from: theline on January 12, 2015, 02:54:20 PM
Was it proper at that time that the center line on curves be a single, solid white line, rather than yellow or double-yellow?
Yes.  The first mention of yellow solid center lines for no-passing zones was in the 1961 MUTCD.  However, depending on the part of the country, actual 'in the field' transition from white to yellow often took several years to accomplish.  As an example, consider 1963's It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World.  Most of the rural scenes, which were shot in Northern California, had white solid and/or dashed center lines.  Most of the urban scenes, which were shot in LA and San Diego, had double yellow solid center lines.

Even after adoption of the 1971 MUTCD, which called for yellow for solid and dashed center lines, it was not uncommon to see white center lines in movies and TV shows.  Many of the exterior "going to the gig" shots of the Partridge Family bus in the first season episodes show single solid white center lines.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

OCGuy81

Not sure if it's been mentioned on here yet, but there is a scene in Wayne's World where Russell swerves off the freeway and knocks over an Interstate 88 reassurance sign (en route to Aurora, which would make it accurate).

Sadly, I couldn't find a picture of that scene.

freebrickproductions

Quote from: Zeffy on December 10, 2014, 11:21:25 AM
Quote from: freebrickproductions on December 10, 2014, 11:12:06 AM
Quote from: Zeffy on December 10, 2014, 10:07:19 AM
I've merged gibranalnn's topic with this one, while updating the title to be a broader topic (with Alex's permission, of course). Also, the Road Related Illustrations board is primarily for hand-drawn or computer-generated images of roads, signs, etc.
We should merge this thread into this thread as well then.

I remembered another topic like this, but my searches were coming up empty. Merged!
This thread could probably be merged in with this thread as well.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

roadman65

Quote from: roadman on January 20, 2015, 04:53:12 PM
Quote from: theline on January 12, 2015, 02:54:20 PM
Was it proper at that time that the center line on curves be a single, solid white line, rather than yellow or double-yellow?
Yes.  The first mention of yellow solid center lines for no-passing zones was in the 1961 MUTCD.  However, depending on the part of the country, actual 'in the field' transition from white to yellow often took several years to accomplish.  As an example, consider 1963's It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World.  Most of the rural scenes, which were shot in Northern California, had white solid and/or dashed center lines.  Most of the urban scenes, which were shot in LA and San Diego, had double yellow solid center lines.

Even after adoption of the 1971 MUTCD, which called for yellow for solid and dashed center lines, it was not uncommon to see white center lines in movies and TV shows.  Many of the exterior "going to the gig" shots of the Partridge Family bus in the first season episodes show single solid white center lines.
Weren't park roads allowed to continued use of the white center line after the MUTCD changed the ruling as I remember Skyline Drive in Virginia using a white center line back in the 70's?  Also Union County, NJ was using it to stripe some roads inside the Watchung Reservation as late as 1974.  Watchung Reservation is a park despite its name.  Remember that was the holdup of I-78 getting completed from Berkley Heights, NJ to Springfield, NJ was that very same county park.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

KG909

~Fuccboi

KG909

~Fuccboi

capt.ron

Track of the Moon Beast, a b-movie made in the early-mid 1970's in New Mexico, features a cameo appearance by US 66! (fast forward to 8:27)
The particular section of 66 has a raised yellow curb down the stretch shown.

ce929wax

I saw an episode of Emergency today that had a white on black speed limit sign.

DevalDragon

I have seen that sign; it is in Gary. I believe off Broadway, but I'll have to check my notes to be sure.

Quote from: Brandon on January 20, 2015, 01:42:57 PM
^^ That sign looks authentic.  I wonder where in NW Indiana or Chicago it is.

vtk

Quote from: ce929wax on February 20, 2015, 01:59:01 AM
I saw an episode of Emergency today that had a white on black speed limit sign.

Emergency and CHiPs have a lot of great old signs. Especially CHiPs.

Quote from: vtk on February 20, 2015, 01:24:49 AM
Just randomly turned on HGTV and found an episode of House Hunters with a Cincinnati couple who have a 36 inch OH state route 50 shield hanging in their basement.  Apparently this episode was new "today" (19 Feb 2015).  Sorry I don't tell like taking a picture of my TV set at the moment.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

thenetwork

Don't forget Adam-12 and Dragnet, when they are doing shots on the streets of LA.

KEK Inc.

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on January 03, 2013, 02:19:25 PM
There is a road scene filmed in a scene of Harold & Maude when they chat with a police officer. I wondered it was filmed on which road?

Necroquote, and I don't care if you were sarcastic with that question, but for those who don't know, it's the former Dumbarton Bridge (CA-84).  Much of that movie was filmed (and set) in the Bay Area, and there's a few more highway scenes. 
Take the road less traveled.

texaskdog

I didn't read back through all of the pages but when Sally Field was taking off her wedding dress in Smokey and the Bandit you can see the Georgia state highway sign (when they are supposed to be in Arkansas)

21 Jump Street was filmed in New Orleans.  Funny in the big chase scene they filmed it on the LEFT bridge so you couldn't see the highway signs but it's very obvious they are on the bridge going the wrong way (along with the rest of the traffic).

HistoricTeacher

There are roadsigns in Sonic Adventure 2, and Sonic Generations.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.