News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Highways / Signs in Movies, TV Shows, and Videos

Started by Alex, February 11, 2009, 05:44:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gibranalnn

Caltrans road sign, San Andreas teaser trailer
I think this is a Caltrans sign because all the scenes were filmed at California. Features gas and food legend signs at the left pole.
Tokufan, mecha enthusiast, transport, architecture and cityplanning fan from Jakarta.

iBallasticwolf2

Quote from: D-Dey65 on May 12, 2015, 09:04:29 AM
Dig the stop sign in this old driver's ed movie:

http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_784634-Pontiac-Star-Chief-Custom-Safari-1955.html

Better yet, here's the whole thing.

At 3:19 in the first part of the video you can see a US 91 shield.
Also throughout the video you see a white center line.

Also this was obviosuly filmed in California
Only two things are infinite in this world, stupidity, and I-75 construction

KG909

~Fuccboi

route17fan

Okay New York City folks, I seem to remember (vaguely) a movie that featured old style black on white NY City signs - oops, never mind, I found it - Last Exit to Brooklyn (1989) starring Jennifer Jason Leigh - old style sign used for cover art.  :)
John Krakoff - Cleveland, Ohio

ARMOURERERIC

Quote from: PAHighways on February 11, 2009, 08:30:00 PM
A lot of Pittsburgh's roadways can be seen in the opening sequence of Striking Distance.
Sorry, this is the first time I actually posted to this thread.  As a native Pittsburgher I found the chase scene annoying because of how non linear it was.  Coming out of the Liberty tubes into Troy Hill.  However, the chase scene in Jack Reacher was actually correct and linear and hence enjoyable.

gibranalnn

Pixels trailer (perhaps the movie had been released in your area, but the movie isn't released yet in Indonesia where I live). Also, is the shield below the BGS a County Route shield?
Tokufan, mecha enthusiast, transport, architecture and cityplanning fan from Jakarta.

Eth

That is a Guam route marker (Street View example here). And route 1 does in fact go to Andersen AFB, so bonus accuracy points there.

gibranalnn

More roadsigns in Cars

^ This came from the end-credits. Except the I-40 shield and EXIT sign (which is in the pic too,) THE MUTCD DOES NOT REGULATE A BGS LAYOUT LIKE THAT!!!

^ Notice the 25

theFXexpert

Quote from: gibranalnn on July 21, 2015, 09:21:57 PM
More roadsigns in Cars

^ This came from the end-credits. Except the I-60 shield and EXIT sign (which is in the pic too,) THE MUTCD DOES NOT REGULATE A BGS LAYOUT LIKE THAT!!!
You mean I-40.

PurdueBill

Quote from: theFXexpert on July 22, 2015, 02:31:58 PM
More roadsigns in Cars

^ This came from the end-credits. Except the I-60 shield and EXIT sign (which is in the pic too,) THE MUTCD DOES NOT REGULATE A BGS LAYOUT LIKE THAT!!!
You mean I-40.

It's not so bad--there are downward arrow signs out there like that in real life.  (Bonus points to MassDOT for a gantry mixing MA 213's exit numbers with I-93's exit numbers, fwiw.)  The Cars example still looks a lot better than half of what Oklahoma cooks up.

gibranalnn

Quote from: PurdueBill on July 23, 2015, 12:03:02 AM
More roadsigns in Cars

It's not so bad--there are downward arrow signs out there like that in real life.  (Bonus points to MassDOT for a gantry mixing MA 213's exit numbers with I-93's exit numbers, fwiw.)  The Cars example still looks a lot better than half of what Oklahoma cooks up.

But look! The downward arrows are placed at the side of the control city. This is NOT regulated in the MUTCD afaik.

PurdueBill

Massachusetts, like some other states, has had amendments to the MUTCD and it's been Mass style to use those downward arrows, even on pull-throughs.  Anyway, unless the sign is brand-new, it may have been up to spec in a previous MUTCD in the Cars universe.

They still did way better in Cars with attention to detail on signs than many movies have.  The crap lack of detail or outright disregard for being close to reality in many signs in movies is amazing.

roadman

Quote(Bonus points to MassDOT for a gantry mixing MA 213's exit numbers with I-93's exit numbers, fwiw.)

That gantry is the result of having the exit ramp from I-93 south to 213 west overlap the exit ramp from 213 east to I-93 south.  It's called trying to compensate for poor roadway design with good signing.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

vtk

Quote from: gibranalnn on July 23, 2015, 05:06:15 AM
But look! The downward arrows are placed at the side of the control city. This is NOT regulated in the MUTCD afaik.

In Ohio, that would be typical arrow placement for an overhead exit direction sign at a simple one-lane exit with no lane drop.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

SteveG1988

A classic find.

1967's The Heat Of The Night

Filmed 95% in Illinois due to the fact that the lead actor, Sidney Portier, had a run in with the KKK when in the south with Harry Belafonte, only filming in the south was for a cotton field. And even then in Dyersburg TN he got threats.

They filmed in and around Sparta IL, with the Chester Bridge doubling for the much bigger Helena Bridge. Fictional route AR49 was put onto it. They changed the town name in the movie to Sparta MS, but a fictional one set on the river.so they would not have to change a ton of signs out.

Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

PurdueBill

Quote from: roadman on July 23, 2015, 02:22:39 PM
Quote(Bonus points to MassDOT for a gantry mixing MA 213's exit numbers with I-93's exit numbers, fwiw.)

That gantry is the result of having the exit ramp from I-93 south to 213 west overlap the exit ramp from 213 east to I-93 south.  It's called trying to compensate for poor roadway design with good signing.

Indeed. The design there is insane.  I actually love the signs--I wasn't being sarcastic.  It isn't often that you see the exit numbers mixed from two roads, so it's a bonus.

Quote from: vtk on July 23, 2015, 02:40:19 PM

In Ohio, that would be typical arrow placement for an overhead exit direction sign at a simple one-lane exit with no lane drop.

I think the objection is the downward vs. upward arrow--although I don't see too much problem.  My hazy recollection is that downward arrows might even be allowed on gore signs if they are posted very high above the ramp.

machias

As found on an episode of "Wonder Woman" taking place in Pennsylvania.  I think this is suppose to represent the Pennsylvania Turnpike, but it was on the wrong side of the road and the road was only one lane and wasn't paved.

Rothman

Just watched Vertigo again.  I'm surprised by how few street signs are in it, although there are a couple of vintage one way signs visible in the movie.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Brandon

Check out some of the older photographs of California signage.  The downward pointing arrow is very common.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

route17fan

Directions to the BQE? From Bill Murray and Geena Davis in "Quick Change"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSl2WltDz4Q

noelbotevera

Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

route17fan

Quote from: noelbotevera on August 28, 2015, 06:28:59 PM
Quote from: route17fan on August 28, 2015, 06:19:01 PM
Directions to the BQE? From Bill Murray and Geena Davis in "Quick Change"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSl2WltDz4Q
Hello there RIDOT signs.... :verymad:

The I-278 shield is a cutout. I have searched this clip over and over and am not seeing the RIDOT connection.  :confused:

SteveG1988

Quote from: upstatenyroads on August 05, 2015, 12:43:15 PM
As found on an episode of "Wonder Woman" taking place in Pennsylvania.  I think this is suppose to represent the Pennsylvania Turnpike, but it was on the wrong side of the road and the road was only one lane and wasn't paved.

I give points on that one to accuracy on there being a 4 lane "interstate" with Penna Route 9, the Northeast Extension. The only clue i would have is they were implying that it was unfinished.

Here's one i found from a 1991 comedy called Delerious, i found the VHS of it at a thrift shop and I was watching what I could have John Candy since I find him hilarious. Soap opera writer ends up in the world he created, and can alter it via his type writer, I don't like soap operas, but the concept is neat. He is leaving NYC and this is the footage we get.

Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

Rothman

I'm surprised no one's brought up Adventures in Babysitting (insofar as I can tell).  The flat tire scene near the beginning is supposedly along the Dan Ryan Expressway (I-90/I-94) and the race home certainly has Chicago BGSes in it (although there is one quick "CGI'd" shot of cars zooming in and out of Chicago -- essentially a made-up location).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

vtk

This road, which seems to have Ohio on one side and Virginia on the other, appears to allow eastbound passing, but not westbound, as far as can be seen.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.