News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Highways / Signs in Movies, TV Shows, and Videos

Started by Alex, February 11, 2009, 05:44:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D-Dey65

Quote from: Pete from Boston on April 28, 2016, 09:47:48 AM
[Tangent] I just realized in seeing this that any remaining coin-op TVs were rendered officially junk by the digital changeover.  The last ones I saw were in the Springfield, Mass. bus depot in the 1990s.  They had that almost elegant

T
  V

logo on them that implied this was a hint of class and luxury, an illusion gone from bus travel long before then.
I saw them in the Jacksonville Greyhound station back in 1999.

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: Pete from Boston on April 28, 2016, 09:47:48 AM

[Tangent] I just realized in seeing this that any remaining coin-op TVs were rendered officially junk by the digital changeover.  The last ones I saw were in the Springfield, Mass. bus depot in the 1990s.  They had that almost elegant

T
  V

logo on them that implied this was a hint of class and luxury, an illusion gone from bus travel long before then.
[/quote]

not if they are on some kind of analog cable system.

jeffandnicole

On Once Upon A Time tonight, a scene involved a car coming out of a tunnel into Manhattan. The toll taker says gruffly, "Welcome to New York City. That'll be $15." Signs include directions for Queens over the opposing lane and an orange construction clearance sign. Oddly, the gate for the toll booth is a 2 part gate normally seen in low clearance parking garages, seemingly not allowing a tall vehicle to go thru that is permitted in the tunnel.

Note that the non-NYC compatible Flex/EPass is permitted, although no reader is located above the toll lane.

Other than that, completely realistic.

kkt

In real life, the toll taker would not say "Welcome to New York City."  He'd just say "Fifteen dollars, please" and I wouldn't bet on the "please."

noelbotevera

Quote from: kkt on May 16, 2016, 04:00:22 PM
In real life, the toll taker would not say "Welcome to New York City."  He'd just say "Fifteen dollars, please" and I wouldn't bet on the "please."
The toll taker would be wearing makeup to look all pretty despite looking really ugly. They'd just say in a really bored voice "$14/15/16 dollars". Then they keep the money when you watch them because of traffic two feet from the plaza.

(this actually happened to me, the toll taker was female though)
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

chays

From the opening credits of Tin Cup.
If this signage actually exists, then I'm stumped as to exactly where/what angle this was taken from.  There is a SH 329 in Texas, but the directions on the US 67 and San Angelo and Fort Stockton signs don't make sense to me.

kurumi

My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

PHLBOS

Quote from: kurumi on June 20, 2016, 11:21:29 PM
3-level interchange in Flintstones intro (about 0:05 to 0:10), courtesy PHLBOS in another thread:
It should be noted that the video is not mine.  Just one I found on YouTube posted by a user named woody558.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jbnv

One of the new DC-universe series (either Arrow or The Flash, I don't recall which) has a scene that reveals the show is shot in Vancouver. The scene is on a bridge and briefly shows a BGS with a BC-99 shield.

An episode of The A-Team takes place on a fictitious US 16 somewhere in California.

Someone mentioned Easy Rider at the beginning of the thread. I remember recognizing a bridge from Morgan City, LA, in one of the Louisiana scenes.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

kurumi

Interstates 7 and 11 intersect in a fritzowly car commercial:

My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Kacie Jane

Quote from: chays on May 17, 2016, 09:28:07 AM
From the opening credits of Tin Cup.
If this signage actually exists, then I'm stumped as to exactly where/what angle this was taken from.  There is a SH 329 in Texas, but the directions on the US 67 and San Angelo and Fort Stockton signs don't make sense to me.

If those signs actually existed, they'd be candidates for the Worst Of thread...

myosh_tino

Quote from: kurumi on September 29, 2016, 01:31:52 AM

When I first saw this commercial a few days ago, I noticed the over-sized arrows and the interstate shields so I re-watched the commercial with the explicit intent to pause it to see what was on those signs.

There's no doubt this was filmed in California because you can clearly see a "Click-It or Ticket" sign on the streetlight pole.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

Thunderbyrd316

I found this interesting little docudrama movie a few weeks ago. Shot on location in Portland, Oregon around 1958, there are several scenes that would be of interest to the "Road Geeking" community, including an aerial view of the Harbor Drive Expressway (U.S. 99W) where construction of the "new" Morrison Bridge can be seen, ground level views of Barbur Blvd. (U.S. 99W), the original Morrison Bridge (complete with a "new" '50's style "SPEED 30 MILES" sign) and S.W. Broadway as well as an interesting signal cycle with a steady green combined with a flashing yellow, presumably to help speed evacuation of the city.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPy6EhKg2vw

Kniwt

Last week's episode of Documentary Now! was supposedly set in 1963 (but filmed in 2016) and featured a drive into the "Port of Daytona Beach," including these two overhead assemblies:

However, from the hints of "Queensway Dr" and "Harbor Plaza," this actually appears to be the modern-day Port of Long Beach.

EDIT: Bingo.

bing101

Quote from: myosh_tino on September 29, 2016, 01:36:08 PM

When I first saw this commercial a few days ago, I noticed the over-sized arrows and the interstate shields so I re-watched the commercial with the explicit intent to pause it to see what was on those signs.

There's no doubt this was filmed in California because you can clearly see a "Click-It or Ticket" sign on the streetlight pole.

CA-118 Freeway @ 405 in the San Fernando Valley is my guess.

https://www.aaroads.com/california/ca-118.html

mrsman

Quote from: bing101 on October 13, 2016, 11:52:17 AM

I would say the western end of I-105.  For one, the freeway has fewer lanes than CA-118.  It's also easier to close the stub end of a freeway for movie shoots than it is to close the middle of the 118.  The 105 is an important connection to the airport, but the section west of the Sepulveda exit has almost no traffic.

This section is frequently used for movie shoots and can be identified by the unique tubular posts where the BGSes are hung.

bing101

Quote from: mrsman on October 30, 2016, 07:33:21 AM

I would say the western end of I-105.  For one, the freeway has fewer lanes than CA-118.  It's also easier to close the stub end of a freeway for movie shoots than it is to close the middle of the 118.  The 105 is an important connection to the airport, but the section west of the Sepulveda exit has almost no traffic.

This section is frequently used for movie shoots and can be identified by the unique tubular posts where the BGSes are hung.

I knew there were Tubular posts in L.A. But I didn't realize that was the west end of I-105 though.

Max Rockatansky

I just noticed a US 6/US 322 during the scene where Nick Fury is being chased in Captain America Winter Soldier.  Basically that would put the filming location in Cleveland, seemed like that would have been an easy fix to edit that out in post production.  You can see the sign assembly very clearly for a couple seconds starting at 3:32:

myosh_tino

Quote from: mrsman on October 30, 2016, 07:33:21 AM

Definitely I-105 headed east towards the I-405 interchange.  The blue tarp conveniently hides the I-105 shield mounted on the light pole in front of the gantry.

https://goo.gl/maps/E6s2UrZVR3E2

The above Google Maps Street View image also shows the "Click-it-or-Ticket" sign as well as the changeable message sign in the background.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

ColossalBlocks

SR 76 in Branson, Missouri appeared on some show on HGTV or DIY, i don't remember which, but they also showed this junction sign https://goo.gl/maps/uNGCQtqZ6xq
I am inactive for a while now my dudes. Good associating with y'all.

US Highways: 36, 49, 61, 412.

Interstates: 22, 24, 44, 55, 57, 59, 72, 74 (West).

coatimundi

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 05, 2016, 11:44:02 PM
I just noticed a US 6/US 322 during the scene where Nick Fury is being chased in Captain America Winter Soldier.  Basically that would put the filming location in Cleveland, seemed like that would have been an easy fix to edit that out in post production.  You can see the sign assembly very clearly for a couple seconds starting at 3:32:

That's kinda cool.
Yes, definitely Cleveland. All of it Downtown, mostly east. Where you see the diamond lane is Euclid, and that's the BRT line. The project that almost killed Cleveland's theater district, as if it needed help dying at that time.
I don't think anyone would ever mistake Downtown Cleveland for DC, even with some CGI. I'm not sure it would be worth the effort to try and fix anything.

thenetwork

Quote from: coatimundi on November 23, 2016, 01:00:00 AM

That's kinda cool.
Yes, definitely Cleveland. All of it Downtown, mostly east. Where you see the diamond lane is Euclid, and that's the BRT line. The project that almost killed Cleveland's theater district, as if it needed help dying at that time.
I don't think anyone would ever mistake Downtown Cleveland for DC, even with some CGI. I'm not sure it would be worth the effort to try and fix anything.

One of the Spiderman sequels also filmed on pretty much the same locations in downtown Cleveland.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: thenetwork on November 23, 2016, 11:27:16 AM
Quote from: coatimundi on November 23, 2016, 01:00:00 AM

That's kinda cool.

One of the Spiderman sequels also filmed on pretty much the same locations in downtown Cleveland.

The funny thing is that I thought it was a pretty good stand-in for the neighborhood around the Georgetown Law Center and I-395.  3rd Street NW even kind of resembles the scene in Winter Solider:

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.8982246,-77.0151563,3a,75y,180h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s5ZJN8f9F0jSbNjQ3rDGN0Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

But then again I would find it highly questionable that anyone would really notice the significance of highway signage aside from people who are regulars on forums like this.  The one that always drove me nuts was US 395 and US 8 in Hill Valley in the back to the future movies in 1955.  They couldn't throw in a US 299, CA 36, OR even US 40A since they went that far in trying to replicate a northern California town?

jbnv

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 23, 2016, 12:14:18 PM
The one that always drove me nuts was US 395 and US 8 in Hill Valley in the back to the future movies in 1955.  They couldn't throw in a US 299, CA 36, OR even US 40A since they went that far in trying to replicate a northern California town?

Or make it US 6 instead of 8 and have the fictional Hill Valley take the place of real-world Bishop.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jbnv on November 23, 2016, 01:23:43 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 23, 2016, 12:14:18 PM
The one that always drove me nuts was US 395 and US 8 in Hill Valley in the back to the future movies in 1955.  They couldn't throw in a US 299, CA 36, OR even US 40A since they went that far in trying to replicate a northern California town?

Or make it US 6 instead of 8 and have the fictional Hill Valley take the place of real-world Bishop.

I thought about that but Bishop is out in the Mojave.  It really wouldn't fit the backdrop aside from the Drive-In Movie Theater in the third movie.  Susanville seemed to fit he description a little more closely since its kind of green still but near the Great Basin Desert. 

Granted by the third movie Hill Valley itself looked like a desert in 1885 and Red Rock Canyon isn't all that far for the drive-in stand in.  One thing is for sure, none of it was near Monument Valley where that scene was filled.  Wouldn't want to discount San Bernardino also I suppose....I don't recall anything explicitly stating it was Northern California. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.