Highways / Signs in Movies, TV Shows, and Videos

Started by Alex, February 11, 2009, 05:44:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwolfer

Quote from: BamaZeus on February 10, 2017, 01:50:54 PM
It has to be somewhere in the northeast, since I'm pretty sure that's a Shop Rite truck in the background
It is a shop rite truck... Looks like Circle Shield... NJ most likely... Or Delaware the signage looks more NJ... I would guess 287

LGMS428

ColossalBlocks

I noticed a few highways that made some appearances.

Gone Girl, for example, had a scene at a lodge near I-55, in that scene, if you pause it ever so perfectly, and look very, very, very closely, you will notice the behind of a BGS for K Highway.

https://goo.gl/maps/u9WSZ9587RJ2

Hancock had a scene with a BGS for I-110 in Los Angeles, you could see the shield before the sign being completely destroyed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIgMuaFfCQo

I-40 in Cars, for example. But people already made too much posts about it.

I-85 in The Walking Dead.

That is all i can think of at the moment.
I am inactive for a while now my dudes. Good associating with y'all.

US Highways: 36, 49, 61, 412.

Interstates: 22, 24, 44, 55, 57, 59, 72, 74 (West).

jbnv

Hancock had a scene with a BGS for I-110 in Los Angeles, you could see the shield before the sign being completely destroyed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIgMuaFfCQo
[/quote]

You can also see the mangled remains of the shield as chaos ensues.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

MNHighwayMan

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the cameo of PA 307 in the "Dunder Mifflin Infinity" episode of The Office:

PA 307 does run through Scranton IRL and does go by Lake Scranton, but the route does not make a right turn like that, nor does the area resemble southern California... :bigass:

thenetwork

Stephen King's "Maximum Overdrive" from 1986 used a nice stretch of the yet-to-be-open stretch of I-40 in eastern North Carolina throughout the movie.

theline

Last night's celebration of NBC's 90th birthday aired for 3 hours, which was long enough for a brief nod to the mostly-forgettable CHiPs. Larry Wilcox mentioned that some scenes were filmed on the not-yet-completed 110. He pointed out that the producers filled the lanes with vehicles on the side where the officers rode, but failed to put any cars in the opposing direction. This was confirmed with a brief clip. "Ponch" fans were no doubt disappointed that Erik Estrada was not interviewed.

briantroutman

Quote from: theline on February 20, 2017, 02:07:10 PM
Larry Wilcox mentioned that some scenes were filmed on the not-yet-completed 110.

Perhaps he misremembered or misspoke–the earlier seasons' freeway scenes were mostly filmed on the uncompleted Foothill Freeway (I-210), particularly the stretch between CA 118 and CA 2. By the last couple of seasons, that section had opened to traffic, and supposedly they were then using an unopened section of I-710 near Long Beach.

thenetwork

Quote from: briantroutman on February 20, 2017, 02:35:54 PM
Larry Wilcox mentioned that some scenes were filmed on the not-yet-completed 110.

Perhaps he misremembered or misspoke–the earlier seasons' freeway scenes were mostly filmed on the uncompleted Foothill Freeway (I-210), particularly the stretch between CA 118 and CA 2. By the last couple of seasons, that section had opened to traffic, and supposedly they were then using an unopened section of I-710 near Long Beach.

Early in the first the first season, they started with the northern end of the 2/Glendale Freeway at the 210, and part of the 210.  By season two they pretty much moved on over to the 210 at the 118/Simi Valley Freeway (later the Ronald Reagan Freeway).  Judging by the scenes there, the 210 was open north of the 118 then west to I-5 (?) since you could see civilian cars on I-210 north of there.  The later seasons were in and around Long Beach.

Rothman

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on February 19, 2017, 11:58:55 PM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the cameo of PA 307 in the "Dunder Mifflin Infinity" episode of The Office:

PA 307 does run through Scranton IRL and does go by Lake Scranton, but the route does not make a right turn like that, nor does the area resemble southern California... :bigass:
There are episodes where you can see palm trees in the background as they drive around.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

coatimundi

I don't know if anyone saw the movie, but I'm sure you caught it if you did, but there's a US 101/CA 1 sign in "Hail Caesar!"
The signs look correct for the time period, but those routes were never signed together. The scene was filmed in Palos Verdes though.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: coatimundi on February 21, 2017, 11:34:29 AM
I don't know if anyone saw the movie, but I'm sure you caught it if you did, but there's a US 101/CA 1 sign in "Hail Caesar!"
The signs look correct for the time period, but those routes were never signed together. The scene was filmed in Palos Verdes though.

Aren't those the replica shields that Jake makes and sells on his eBay store? 

theline

Quote from: thenetwork on February 20, 2017, 05:57:20 PM
Quote from: briantroutman on February 20, 2017, 02:35:54 PM

Early in the first the first season, they started with the northern end of the 2/Glendale Freeway at the 210, and part of the 210.  By season two they pretty much moved on over to the 210 at the 118/Simi Valley Freeway (later the Ronald Reagan Freeway).  Judging by the scenes there, the 210 was open north of the 118 then west to I-5 (?) since you could see civilian cars on I-210 north of there.  The later seasons were in and around Long Beach.

It's more likely that I misheard Larry, rather than him misspeaking. I've only been to LA twice, with a gap of almost 50 years between. I became well-acquainted with the 10 during my most recent visit, but those other highways are just lines on the map to me.

Rothman

Another one from The Office (near the end of "Crime Aid"):

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

J N Winkler

"N.Y. City" . . . on I-80?  Tri-State fusion!
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

bing101

Chips the 2017 movie has lots of LA Freeway references here. And like the Original edition of Chips they include the Downtown LA office of the CHP at the 110 @ 10 Interchange.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkNejWvpWcw

Rothman

The new CHiPs movie looks totally awful, especially since the TV show was rather innocent and devoid of crude humor.

Rothman

Oh, I am not saying it was some form of high art, either.  Still, it was a light action series that was pretty tame...not a raunch fest.

It's like they took all that was wrong with the Johnny Knoxville The Dukes of Hazzard movie and put it on steroids.

Thunderbyrd316

Quote from: Rothman on February 24, 2017, 11:16:06 PM
The new CHiPs movie looks totally awful, especially since the TV show was rather innocent and devoid of crude humor.

Here is my 2 cents on the new CHiPs movie, as posted to my Facebook page on January 12 shortly after viewing the trailer.

I just viewed the trailer for the new forthcoming CHiPs motion picture. Here are my thoughts, which I shared on their Facebook Page: I enjoyed the original CHiPs series, complete with it's comic elements and sometimes unrealistic or even absurd story lines. (Such as the one where aliens where communicating with the little girl which was clearly a cheap attempt to cash in on the popularity of ET at the time.) I also enjoyed the comedic remake of "Starsky and Hutch". This movie however, based upon the trailer I just viewed, is nothing less than an abomination and should have been left entirely on the proverbial cutting room floor. If they had wanted to do this right, this is what I would have done. First, should have been set in the late 70's - early '80's time period. Second, get some actors that at least somewhat resemble the personality and appearance of the original primary characters. Third, go find some cool old '60's and '70's muscle cars and land yachts and shoot the best car crashes and chases ever filmed. Forth, tone down the "gutter' humor. Aim for a movie that is at least suitable for viewing by older children. Fifth, retain some of the comedic and absurd elements of the original series. (Perhaps even poking some fun at some past story lines.) Sixth, I would include comedic parodies involving as many famous '70's and '80's car movies and TV shows as possible. Cameos by Bo and Luke in the General Lee, David Hasselhoff driving KITT, Herbie the Love Bug, a little red Valiant being chased by a Peterbuilt Tanker (Duel, with perhaps Steven Spielberg himself driving one of the 2), Christine, the yellow '73 Mustang from the original Gone in 60 Seconds, etc., etc. Just my 2 cents.

roadman

Quote from: Thunderbyrd316 on February 27, 2017, 09:19:04 PM

Here is my 2 cents on the new CHiPs movie, as posted to my Facebook page on January 12 shortly after viewing the trailer.

I just viewed the trailer for the new forthcoming CHiPs motion picture. Here are my thoughts, which I shared on their Facebook Page: I enjoyed the original CHiPs series, complete with it's comic elements and sometimes unrealistic or even absurd story lines. (Such as the one where aliens where communicating with the little girl which was clearly a cheap attempt to cash in on the popularity of ET at the time.) I also enjoyed the comedic remake of "Starsky and Hutch". This movie however, based upon the trailer I just viewed, is nothing less than an abomination and should have been left entirely on the proverbial cutting room floor. If they had wanted to do this right, this is what I would have done. First, should have been set in the late 70's - early '80's time period. Second, get some actors that at least somewhat resemble the personality and appearance of the original primary characters. Third, go find some cool old '60's and '70's muscle cars and land yachts and shoot the best car crashes and chases ever filmed. Forth, tone down the "gutter' humor. Aim for a movie that is at least suitable for viewing by older children. Fifth, retain some of the comedic and absurd elements of the original series. (Perhaps even poking some fun at some past story lines.) Sixth, I would include comedic parodies involving as many famous '70's and '80's car movies and TV shows as possible. Cameos by Bo and Luke in the General Lee, David Hasselhoff driving KITT, Herbie the Love Bug, a little red Valiant being chased by a Peterbuilt Tanker (Duel, with perhaps Steven Spielberg himself driving one of the 2), Christine, the yellow '73 Mustang from the original Gone in 60 Seconds, etc., etc. Just my 2 cents.
One would also have to include a 1971 white Dodge Challenger with Colorado plates in that lineup (Vanishing Point).
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

BamaZeus

Quote from: Thunderbyrd316 on February 27, 2017, 09:19:04 PM

I'm down with all that.  CHiPs is still my favorite tv show of all time, but I can't be bothered to spend $10 to watch this garbage at the theatre.  MAYBE when it hits HBO I will give it a chance, but I wouldn't waste a dime on what I saw in the preview.  Let's be honest, it will last about 2 weeks in the theatre before going to DVD.

thenetwork

I like Emergency! more than CHiPS simply because they did more extended scenes on the regular streets of LA -- with grit and all. 

One episode of Emergency I saw recently had a scene was done at a refinery about 50-60 feet up in the air.  Insurance, lawyers and CGI nowadays make sure that will never happen again!!!

sparker

Well....according to the script of tonight's "24" episode, there's now another NJ-related gap in I-95:  the GW bridge (or at least the deck) was blown up by a terrorist cell pretty much at mid-span.  The program didn't show any close-up "after" shots, so I suppose we'll see just what was damaged/destroyed next week. 

ARMOURERERIC

The original The Mechanic with Charles Bronson, great chase scene on da 5 in LA, the BGS's are new.

Max Rockatansky

Logan had three highway signs that I noticed and a reference to another:

1 and 2.  A BGS with US 62 is seen when Logan confronts the guys trying to jack his 2024 Chrysler at the start of the movie.  There is a scene shortly after where they refer to dead bodies found on US 54.  Basically this was in the outskirts of El Paso.

3.  The gas station has a US 70 shield on it.

4.  There is a very obvious OK State Shield with what I want to say was 82?

There was a couple shields off in the distance in many scenes that I couldn't identify but might be able to when it comes out for download.

jbnv

My wife and I just saw Logan. You're right on all of those points except for the Oklahoma shield in #4. It's Oklahoma 81.

One of the ones that you missed... you're definitely going to want to look for this. Logan and Laura stop in some small town to go to a doctor. Right after they come out of the office, there are some shields in the background. One of them is... a Louisiana state highway shield.

At this point, if you've seen the movie, you should be saying, "Why the heck are they in Louisiana?" That's what I was saying. There's no definite indication where exactly they are, but at this point in the plot(which I won't reveal), there's little reason for them to be in Louisiana.

Turns out the scene was shot in Amite, Louisiana. My wife and I recognized it from a few businesses and a large Coca-Cola mural painted on a building. We live a few miles to the south and go to Amite once or twice a month.

As for where they are supposed to be: As the scene ends, the shot goes long and reveals... mountains in the background? Rocky Mountain mountains in fact, not green Appalachian mountains. So that fits with the plot.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.