Highways / Signs in Movies, TV Shows, and Videos

Started by Alex, February 11, 2009, 05:44:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jbnv on March 12, 2017, 12:01:27 AM
My wife and I just saw Logan. You're right on all of those points except for the Oklahoma shield in #4. It's Oklahoma 81.

One of the ones that you missed... you're definitely going to want to look for this. Logan and Laura stop in some small town to go to a doctor. Right after they come out of the office, there are some shields in the background. One of them is... a Louisiana state highway shield.

At this point, if you've seen the movie, you should be saying, "Why the heck are they in Louisiana?" That's what I was saying. There's no definite indication where exactly they are, but at this point in the plot(which I won't reveal), there's little reason for them to be in Louisiana.

Turns out the scene was shot in Amite, Louisiana. My wife and I recognized it from a few businesses and a large Coca-Cola mural painted on a building. We live a few miles to the south and go to Amite once or twice a month.

As for where they are supposed to be: As the scene ends, the shot goes long and reveals... mountains in the background? Rocky Mountain mountains in fact, not green Appalachian mountains. So that fits with the plot.

So I wasn't seeing things, it was an OK 81 shield after all.  I'm thinking that had to be a shield error for US 81 since there is a large scene in Oklahoma City.  Nice catch on picking up the shield I couldn't identify in the background, that was around the doctor scene.

freebrickproductions

Found this Onion article that I'm going to put here, as it kinda fits with the theme of this thread:
http://www.theonion.com/article/i-95-diagnosed-with-highway-cancer-30893?utm_content=Main&utm_campaign=SF&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=SocialMarketing

NEW HAVEN, CT–Road oncologists at Yale-New Haven Hospital held a press conference Tuesday to announce that Interstate 95, the main conduit running along the country's Eastern Seaboard, had begun treatment for stage III highway cancer, an advanced and often terminal form of the disease.

According to doctors, the 1,900-mile roadway, which had been battling illness since late September, was diagnosed after Connecticut motorists reported having to stop for a strange, previously unseen bump, later determined to be an 8-mile-long tumor lodged in its southbound shoulder.

"When we analyzed the asphalt biopsy, all of our worst suspicions were confirmed–classic case of late-stage highway cancer,"  said Dr. Angela Everett, the 15-state thoroughfare's primary physician. "But since the tumor was too large to dig out with a backhoe, we elected to try an aggressive combination of freeway radiation and expressway chemotherapy."

"Now, of course with any interstate cancer there is no guarantee of survival, but I promise we're doing everything we possibly can,"  Everett continued, urging drivers to be patient with the road's increasingly faint signage, slower speeds, and deep potholes where IV drips have been attached.

Since beginning treatment, I-95 has reportedly undergone a rapid physical transformation, most visibly a drop from eight lanes to two. Commuters have also noticed the steady disappearance of roadside foliage, a byproduct of the powerful drugs coursing through its metropolitan arteries.

However, while supporters expect the vast transit network to put up a strong fight, the prognosis is not optimistic. With the exception of notable successes like California's I-405–which celebrates 10 years in remission this December–Department of Transportation figures show that highway cancer is by far the nation's biggest turnpike killer, claiming an estimated 200 toll roads a year.

"It breaks my heart because I know that 95 wants to be out there doing what it loves: taking people from point A to point B between Florida and Maine,"  said DOT secretary Ray LaHood, who added that he had become close friends with the road since taking office in 2009. "I feel partially responsible, too, because if I had stayed on its case about getting regular screenings we probably could have caught this thing earlier."

"I just can't imagine a world without I-95 and everything it brings to America's transportation system,"  continued LaHood, echoing the sentiments of the hundreds of bridges and overpasses that have vowed to stay by its side "until the end."

Upon hearing the news of the highway's diagnosis, regular I-95 commuters expressed shock that such a serious disease could befall the normally vibrant and well maintained road.

"All of this is kind of hard to swallow, I mean. I just drove on 95 yesterday and it looked totally fine,"  said 43-year-old event planner Henry Fitzsimmons. "Just goes to show how incredibly fragile infrastructure can be. It's times like this that make you pull over and appreciate every precious moment you have."

"I just hope it stays brave and gets the care it needs so it can return to its old self as soon as possible,"  he added.

At press time, state lawmakers were in the process of requesting emergency funding from the federal government, as the expensive highway cancer treatments are not covered by I-95's health insurance.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

PColumbus73

Meanwhile, I-95 is also suffering from severe osteoporosis in North and South Carolina :-P

sparker

And it's still in surgery for an arterial bypass north of Philly.  The operation is taking quite a bit longer than expected, due to controversies over who the lead surgeon should be, and complicated by outdated and substandard equipment -- particularly the materials used for the bypass itself! :poke:

Thunderbyrd316

Interestingly, not only is I-95 only 2 lanes but also suspiciously appears to be somewhere in Alberta. (Note the reflector posts.)

Big John

Saw Logan.  Set in 2029 it had clearview signs for El Paso and Oklahoma City.

jbnv

Quote from: Big John on March 22, 2017, 12:37:30 PM
Saw Logan.  Set in 2029 it had clearview signs for El Paso and Oklahoma City.

Replies 589 and 590 say hello.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

Big John

Max Rockatansky

I've been watching Speed while loading photos, I glanced over and saw an I-405 shield during the scene where the bus almost tips over.  There is a large part of the movie that takes part on I-105 which includes the bus jumping a freeway gap.  I'm sure there is a crap ton more if I actually was paying attention.

Rothman

In The People v. O.J. Simpson, you see O.J. and A.C. run down the same 300 feet of highway over and over again at the end of episode 1 and throughout episode 2 (The Juice is Loose!).  Although it is announced at one point as where I-5 and I-405 meet, the BGSes show it being where I-710 and I-10 meet. 
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jbnv

Quote from: Rothman on April 09, 2017, 10:41:05 PM
In The People v. O.J. Simpson, you see O.J. and A.C. run down the same 300 feet of highway over and over again at the end of episode 1 and throughout episode 2 (The Juice is Loose!).  Although it is announced at one point as where I-5 and I-405 meet, the BGSes show it being where I-710 and I-10 meet.

The People v. O.J. Simpson told an incredible story but felt like a cheaply-done TV movie.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

D-Dey65

This scene is in the kiddie flick "Pup Stars."

http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_1034597-Hyundai-Santa-Fe-CM.html

Any idea where in New Jersey this is supposed to be?

Thunderbyrd316

Quote from: D-Dey65 on May 14, 2017, 11:41:14 PM
This scene is in the kiddie flick "Pup Stars."

http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_1034597-Hyundai-Santa-Fe-CM.html

Any idea where in New Jersey this is supposed to be?

Yup. B.C. 17 looking north at the McKenzie Ave. exit just north of Victoria.

JMoses24

This is fail. Seen on a local news station this morning.

Max Rockatansky

US 129 on Tapoco Road over the Little Tennessee River is visible from the Cheoah Dam in North Carolina during the dam sequence in the Fugitive.  Interestingly the whole segment with ambulance driving up to the tunnel appears to be a blue screen effect as US 129 doesn't go through the Cheoah Dam or over it. 

thenetwork

I was watching Charles Bronson's movie "Messenger of Death" the other morning.  Never seeing the movie before, as soon as I turned it on (in the middle of the movie), I immediately recognized the scene where they were driving out of one of the tunnels on the Colorado National Monument in Grand Junction, CO.  This was after being awake for only about 10 minutes, as well.

About 5 hours later, my wife and I did the drive through the exact location.

formulanone

Just saw "The Founder" on the plane today, and it featured a really nice 1950's-spec shield on a BGS for 17 in Phoenix, Arizona.

Problem was...they used a US Route shield, not an Interstate shield.

bing101

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xvGl6Q0gAA4. Who's the Boss pilot open is a roadgeek friendly sequence of New York Area parkways and expressways where the characters were looking for a house in the suburbs.

bing101

http://abc.go.com/shows/2020/episode-guide/2017-06/30-063017-freeway-fury

ABC's 20/20 they did various freeways in the USA but it was because its the Road Rage film they were doing.

hm insulators

Quote from: bing101 on July 01, 2017, 10:09:26 AM
http://abc.go.com/shows/2020/episode-guide/2017-06/30-063017-freeway-fury

ABC's 20/20 they did various freeways in the USA but it was because its the Road Rage film they were doing.

Is there any way to watch that without being held hostage to the goddamned advertising?
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

jbnv

The opening scene of Forensic Files episode "Slippery Motives" was filmed on a street that has a PA 222 sign. But the narrator reports that the crime took place in St. Louis. Oops!

D-Dey65

This scene from the 2002 Michelle Pfieffer-Alison Lohman flick "White Oleander" contains an old fashioned stop sign.

http://imgur.com/a/u0di2

Zoom in on the right post of the gate there, if you can get it.

Mr. Matté

jbnv

D-Dey65

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.