News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Highways / Signs in Movies, TV Shows, and Videos

Started by Alex, February 11, 2009, 05:44:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bickendan

Quote from: haljackey on February 12, 2009, 01:14:26 AM
Martix Reloaded.

They had to build their own highway for it!

fixed image size. Forum max is 800 pixels wide -DTP

Has anyone tried to map this highway? heh.

Bowfinger: Eddie Murphy runs across the Glendale Freeway (CA 2).
Untraceable: Minimal freeway use, but the US 30 flyover ramp over I-5 at the I-84 terminus is used.

Mergingtraffic

How about Bullitt?  What expressways are in the movie?

Saturday Night Fever shows a BGS for I-278 (I think?)
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

thenetwork

Quote from: catkins522 on December 22, 2009, 10:13:39 PM
I am looking for a movie in the late 70's or early 80's, may be a B-movie at best.  The engineers are putting in the interstate and is going to miss a highway and the hotel.  So, the manager takes some money and bribes the engineers and put in the off ramps.  Unfortunely, after the manager leaves, they take off the off ramps and pockets the cash.  So, after the interstate gets finished, the manager and the others blows up the bridge.  The people would have to stay the hotel/motel.  In the end, they have got the off ramps and saves the hotel.
Any ideas???

If you can't get an answer here, try http://www.badmovies.org/

Bickendan

Just spotted one in X-Men: Evolution - Season 2, ep 1. A sign for '205 Freeway' - spelled out, no shield; odd that this takes place in 'Bayview', New York.

Chris

I watched the movie "44 minutes - the North Hollywood shootout". I noticed there are several aerial shots but they show fall foliage, which resembled more like Ohio or Pennsylvania to me than Southern California, and I saw an 3-digit Interstate shield, where the first two digits were "27x". That means this could never be shot in Los Angeles as there is no I-7x in greater Los Angeles.

mightyace

Quote from: Chris on March 05, 2010, 06:17:13 AM
I saw an 3-digit Interstate shield, where the first two digits were "27x". That means this could never be shot in Los Angeles as there is no I-7x in greater Los Angeles.

Your probably right, but I wouldn't put it past "Hollywood" people to put up fake shields.  Of course, for the reason you already mentioned it wouldn't make sense but neither does 205 Freeway in 'Bayview', NY.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

agentsteel53

there was a commercial a few years ago on TV which had a white sign located somewhere in Arizona - it had control cities of Los Angeles and Casa Grande in opposite directions.  Yep, we freeze-framed the Tivo on it! 

fake, of course.  Arizona hasn't had a white guide sign in years.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Bickendan

Quote from: mightyace on March 05, 2010, 04:57:33 PM
Quote from: Chris on March 05, 2010, 06:17:13 AM
I saw an 3-digit Interstate shield, where the first two digits were "27x". That means this could never be shot in Los Angeles as there is no I-7x in greater Los Angeles.

Your probably right, but I wouldn't put it past "Hollywood" people to put up fake shields.  Of course, for the reason you already mentioned it wouldn't make sense but neither does 205 Freeway in 'Bayview', NY.
At least in X-Men: Evolutions case it's not a fake sign put up -- it's an animated show. Clearly the animators don't know their interstates!

TheStranger

Quote from: doofy103 on December 27, 2009, 02:25:05 PM
How about Bullitt?  What expressways are in the movie?

I remember two of the streets in the film - Army (Cesar Chavez) Street over near US 101 in San Francisco, and Guadalupe Canyon Parkway on San Bruno Mountain in Brisbane/Daly City - a full 8 miles apart, yet somehow they hop from one location to the other during the chase seamlessly!
Chris Sampang

AZDude

How about in Back To The Future where in the 1955 version of Hill Valley, CA (fake city) there are trailblazer shields for US 395 & 8.  Yeah, US 8 does not (and never did) exist in California!

mightyace

Quote from: Bickendan on March 06, 2010, 01:23:00 AM
At least in X-Men: Evolutions case it's not a fake sign put up -- it's an animated show. Clearly the animators don't know their interstates!

I'm sorry, I was thinking of the live action movies.  :banghead:
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Ian

There was a Nationwide Insurance commercial where it shows a Texas farm road shield but omits "FARM ROAD" written in the shield.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

shoptb1

Quote from: PennDOTFan on March 08, 2010, 09:01:28 PM
There was a Nationwide Insurance commercial where it shows a Texas farm road shield but omits "FARM ROAD" written in the shield.

Yes, and in that same commercial they show a BMW 5-Series with some GM-grille on it to hide the fact that it's a BMW.  #FAIL!

D-Dey65

I am looking for a movie in the late 70's or early 80's, may be a B-movie at best.  The engineers are putting in the interstate and is going to miss a highway and the hotel.  So, the manager takes some money and bribes the engineers and put in the off ramps.  Unfortunely, after the manager leaves, they take off the off ramps and pockets the cash.  So, after the interstate gets finished, the manager and the others blows up the bridge.  The people would have to stay the hotel/motel.  In the end, they have got the off ramps and saves the hotel.

Any ideas???

Charles Atkins
catkins522@comcast.net

1981's Honky Tonk Freeway
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082525/

golden eagle

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the movie Road Trip feature U.S. 23 in Lawrenceville, GA?

I seem the recall the movie Without A Trace showed a BGS for a highway going to Rye, NY.

shoptb1

Although a TV show and not a movie, the opening sequence after the title card on the 70's Norman Lear television series "One Day at a Time" shows an I-70 BGS for Indianapolis.  

elsmere241

Quote from: thenetwork on December 27, 2009, 06:53:25 PM
I am looking for a movie in the late 70's or early 80's, may be a B-movie at best.  The engineers are putting in the interstate and is going to miss a highway and the hotel.  So, the manager takes some money and bribes the engineers and put in the off ramps.  Unfortunely, after the manager leaves, they take off the off ramps and pockets the cash.  So, after the interstate gets finished, the manager and the others blows up the bridge.  The people would have to stay the hotel/motel.  In the end, they have got the off ramps and saves the hotel.
Any ideas???

If you can't get an answer here, try http://www.badmovies.org/

Sounds like Honky Tonk Freeway.

AZDude

Not a movie but in the first season of the cartoon Rugrats, the pickles family visit the Grand Canyon.  And one of the scenes shows them drive past a US 66 shield.

KEK Inc.

Lethal Weapon 4 didn't expect road geeks to be watching, but they filmed the chase seen on a Nevada highway (California doesn't use high-masts and external exit tabs are extremely rare in suburban California freeways.)  I'm assuming the freeway was I-515 or I-15 in Las Vegas.

Martix Reloaded.

I think most of that was CG, dude.  :P  Anyways, the sign used in that fictional digital expressway (barely visible in this picture) is actually a real one used in US-101 near Menlo Park, CA.  It says 'Whipple Ave, Woodside Rd, Marsh Rd'.  ;) 

Quote from: Hellfighter on February 11, 2009, 05:55:39 PM
In "Dante's Peak", the shooting of the freeway collapse was I-90 in Idaho
The exterior shots of Dante's Peak was filmed in Wallace, ID, and I-90 runs right through that town.  ;) 

Quote from: mefailenglish on October 06, 2009, 07:21:35 AM
In Patriot Games, there's a car chase scene where the cars go from Riva Road to US 50 via MD 665.  That was actually shot in MD at the correct intersection.  But magically US 50 turned into either the 105 or the 405 (I forget which, it's been a while, but it's near LAX).  Yeah, if you're in LA looking for the Rowe Blvd (MD 70) exit to go back into downtown Annapolis, you'll be looking for a while. 
Yay.  I'm not the only one who noticed that.  Everyone in the room thought I was a freak when I pointed out that the streetlamps and sign bridges are something that would be in California, not Maryland.  They did manage to show off the US-50 shield in Maryland quite a bit, but the actual crash was probably on I-105, since that freeway was actually completed during the time the movie was made.  A lot of films featured footage on that highway, including one of the later Lethal Weapon films (either 3 or 4). 
Take the road less traveled.

roadfro

Quote from: KEK Inc. on July 06, 2010, 01:48:58 AM
Lethal Weapon 4 didn't expect road geeks to be watching, but they filmed the chase seen on a Nevada highway (California doesn't use high-masts and external exit tabs are extremely rare in suburban California freeways.)  I'm assuming the freeway was I-515 or I-15 in Las Vegas. 

I mentioned this earlier in the thread. It was an unopened section of I-215 in Las Vegas and/or Henderson.

I-15 is too busy to shut down or use for filming, and would have too much recognizable scenery (i.e. the Strip) in the background. I-515 is a plausible guess, but doesn't have much (if any) high mast lighting, and any high masts on that highway would've been installed after release of the movie.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

KEK Inc.

Quote from: roadfro on July 06, 2010, 03:38:11 AM
Lethal Weapon 4 didn't expect road geeks to be watching, but they filmed the chase seen on a Nevada highway (California doesn't use high-masts and external exit tabs are extremely rare in suburban California freeways.)  I'm assuming the freeway was I-515 or I-15 in Las Vegas.  
Oh, sorry.  I must have overlooked your post.  Isn't there a fairly long stretch of I-15 that's slightly suburban south of the strip?  

I didn't know I-215 existed back in 1998.  :P  
Take the road less traveled.

FreewayDan

A couple of made-for-TV movies that featured L.A. freeways:
* 'Gridlock' (a.k.a. 'The Great American Traffic Jam') which aired on NBC in October 1980
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080817/
* 'Carpool' (not the Tom Aronld movie), a CBS movie that aired in October 1983
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085302/
LEFT ON GREEN
ARROW ONLY

huskeroadgeek

Quote from: shoptb1 on July 01, 2010, 08:24:13 AM
Although a TV show and not a movie, the opening sequence after the title card on the 70's Norman Lear television series "One Day at a Time" shows an I-70 BGS for Indianapolis. 
Along the same line, the opening for the 80s TV show "Simon and Simon" shows an "I-5 San Diego" sign.

brownpelican

"Deja Vu" used the Crescent City Connection and the downtown section of the Pontchartrain Expressway (US 90 Bus) heavily.

"The Family That Preys" has an excellent scene where Alice and Charlotte embark on their road trip from Atlanta and enter New Orleans via the Causeway Bridge. There are great closeups from the air of the Causeway and I-10 from Carrollton/Tulane/Airline to downtown.

Bickendan

Quote from: KEK Inc. on July 06, 2010, 01:48:58 AM

Martix Reloaded.

I think most of that was CG, dude.  :P  Anyways, the sign used in that fictional digital expressway (barely visible in this picture) is actually a real one used in US-101 near Menlo Park, CA.  It says 'Whipple Ave, Woodside Rd, Marsh Rd'.  ;) 
Nope. They built that freeway. You can clearly see it here: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=37.791452,-122.325597&spn=0.002416,0.005187&t=h&z=18

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.