News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Erroneous road signs

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 04:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeffy

Quote from: Alex on January 29, 2015, 08:56:13 PM

Found in Temple, Texas today by Jeff Royston.

I don't know what's worse - the RIDOT style non-cutout shield, or the fact that they "upgraded" TX 363 into a business loop (with a non-existent parent no less!) .
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Mapmikey

Maybe it's the new trend...

This is the second time this has happened in Virginia (I-7 Business shields were up at one point).

Thanks to Kevin MacNutt for this picture from Downtown Harrisonburg:

Mapmikey

1995hoo

I find that all the worse because Virginia has no Interstate business routes, meaning there's that much less excuse for making that mistake.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

KEK Inc.

What's with the white sign on the mast-arm?
Take the road less traveled.

Alex4897

Quote from: KEK Inc. on February 04, 2015, 02:41:01 PM
What's with the white sign on the mast-arm?

Looks like its trying to depict an awkward lane shift + lane addition.  That's definitely unique.
👉😎👉

KEK Inc.

Seattle needs those.  I can't count how many intersections have misaligned lanes.

iPhone

jakeroot

Quote from: KEK Inc. on February 04, 2015, 09:46:35 PM
Seattle needs those.  I can't count how many intersections have misaligned lanes.

A really bad one in Tacoma along Emerson Street ... if you stayed straight, you'd drive head on into the oncoming left-turn lane:

(Yeah street view is old, but the newer street view is poorly aligned)

PHLBOS

Not yet shown on GSV & I wasn't able to get a photo of such, but along US 222 Northbound approaching the PA 772 interchange; the 2-mile advance BGS for that interchange has a PA 272 shield on it.  This goof must've been made by the same contractor that erected the erroneous 322 Epharta BGS' instead of 322 Ephrata a year or two ago (those BGS' have since been replaced).
GPS does NOT equal GOD

freebrickproductions

This would be a perfectly okay install if the road didn't actually curve to the left. It's been this way for a while now, I believe.
Erroneous Right Turn Ahead Sign by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
Erroneous Right Turn Ahead Sign by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
Road Curving to the Left by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

EDIT: To make matters worse, the sign it replaced was correct.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

KEK Inc.

Saw this while driving home the other day.  This is on 15th Ave NE and NE 45th St. in Seattle.  Not necessarily erroneous, since there's actually two detour routes currently.  The Pacific Ave - Montlake Connector is currently undergoing construction and will be closed for another week, so the detour to the right (eastbound NE 45th St.) is for that.  The detour to the left is for the Brooklyn Ave excavation for Soundlink Light Rail, which will be closed for 6 more years.

Regardless, SDOT should have added supplementary signs for what the detour is for.

Big John

^^ and no parking your vehicle upside down?  :bigass:

1995hoo

Quote from: Hoss6884 on February 13, 2015, 08:03:56 AM
Continuing the Virginia theme, Route 22 was "upgraded" in Louisa.

Still there, huh? hbelkins posted that in post #2585 of this thread. How recent is the Street View image?
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

dcbjms

Street View needs to update itself more often.

Old version:
http://goo.gl/maps/hqC5T

At the time, that intersection was under reconstruction.  Afterwards, with everything all said and done, the RI-126 shield was replaced with a US-126 (??) shield - in the same font, more or less, as the old shield!  :ded:  AFAIK, that particular street did not get an upgrade.

kkt

Quote from: KEK Inc. on February 12, 2015, 08:13:13 PM

Saw this while driving home the other day.  This is on 15th Ave NE and NE 45th St. in Seattle.  Not necessarily erroneous, since there's actually two detour routes currently.  The Pacific Ave - Montlake Connector is currently undergoing construction and will be closed for another week, so the detour to the right (eastbound NE 45th St.) is for that.  The detour to the left is for the Brooklyn Ave excavation for Soundlink Light Rail, which will be closed for 6 more years.

Regardless, SDOT should have added supplementary signs for what the detour is for.

Yes, thank you for explaining that.  On the plus side, the closed part of 35th Ave. NE around NE 105th St. has reopened.

SignGeek101

Not really erroneous, but

https://goo.gl/maps/OfGv3

The directional sign infers that 101 goes to 129, but in fact, this is 129 in a concurrency with 101.

AsphaltPlanet

^ This is the only occurrence of two triple digit routes being multiplexed in Ontario, and there isn't one normal assembly anywhere along that short multiplex.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

steviep24

hotdogPi

Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Zeffy

Quote from: 1 on February 18, 2015, 02:00:08 PM
So that's where alpsroads.net gets the US 404 shield from?

The one on top is from http://www.alpsroads.net/roads/de/de_404/ . I don't remember where I saw the other one.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

steviep24

Quote from: Zeffy on February 18, 2015, 02:03:23 PM
Quote from: 1 on February 18, 2015, 02:00:08 PM
So that's where alpsroads.net gets the US 404 shield from?

The one on top is from http://www.alpsroads.net/roads/de/de_404/ . I don't remember where I saw the other one.
Found the one for NY 404. http://www.alpsroads.net/roads/ny/ny_404/
Several US 404 shields are pictured there.

vtk

Just randomly turned on HGTV and found an episode of House Hunters with a Cincinnati couple who have a 36 inch OH state route 50 shield hanging in their basement.  Apparently this episode was new "today" (19 Feb 2015).  Sorry I don't tell like taking a picture of my TV set at the moment.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

busman_49

Better check your dictionary again...
100_7418 by Ryan busman_49, on Flickr

NE2

Jeak Breaking prohibited.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Kacie Jane

If there is a Speed Limit 50 sign posted, but the law on the books says it's supposed to be 40, what's the enforceable limit?

If it's striped and signed for two-way traffic (and for the left turn from the driveway), it's de facto legal regardless of what the de jure law says.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.