News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Massachusetts milepost exit numbering conversion contract

Started by roadman, October 28, 2015, 05:28:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

74/171FAN

Quote from: SectorZ on December 24, 2020, 07:05:53 AM
Quote from: bob7374 on December 23, 2020, 05:08:27 PM
A political science professor is not happy with the new exit numbers on US 6:
http://www.masspoliticsprofs.org/2020/12/20/professoru-is-not-happy-with-changes-to-route-6-on-cape-cod/

Again proving that political science is the most imaginary of the sciences.

The worst part is that he assumes that no one has traveled the length of US 6 in MA.  Of course, Travel Mapping shows that at least 12 people have.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

bob7374

Based on Waze reporting work crews on US 6 west approaching the Sagamore Bridge last night, it appears work on renumbering US 6 exits on the Cape has been completed. Meanwhile, MassDOT issued a new blog post about renumbering that clarified the work on the Mass Pike and when the exits east of I-95/MA 128 will be renumbered:

"New exit sign installations began along I-90 westbound on Sunday, December 13. Crews began in Weston and are working westbound to the border with New York. Then crews will [then] work on I-90 eastbound from the New York border to Boston.  The remaining exit conversion on I-90 westbound between Boston/Logan Airport and Weston will be completed after the eastbound side of I-90. Exit conversion will take approximately 2 weeks to complete in each direction. Work is scheduled to take place during overnight hours, beginning at 8:00 p.m. through 5:00 a.m. the next morning."

abqtraveler

Quote from: bob7374 on December 24, 2020, 11:31:07 AM
Based on Waze reporting work crews on US 6 west approaching the Sagamore Bridge last night, it appears work on renumbering US 6 exits on the Cape has been completed. Meanwhile, MassDOT issued a new blog post about renumbering that clarified the work on the Mass Pike and when the exits east of I-95/MA 128 will be renumbered:

"New exit sign installations began along I-90 westbound on Sunday, December 13. Crews began in Weston and are working westbound to the border with New York. Then crews will [then] work on I-90 eastbound from the New York border to Boston.  The remaining exit conversion on I-90 westbound between Boston/Logan Airport and Weston will be completed after the eastbound side of I-90. Exit conversion will take approximately 2 weeks to complete in each direction. Work is scheduled to take place during overnight hours, beginning at 8:00 p.m. through 5:00 a.m. the next morning."

Why did they decide to start renumbering exits on the Mass Pike at Weston and work toward New York, then do the easternmost part of the Pike last? That seems to be a caddiwhompus way of completing the exit conversion because--for a period of time that could range from weeks to months--exits on the easternmost section of the Pike will be the old sequential exits. Then they will jump to mile-based exits once you get west of the 128 beltway. Talk about confusion, there you go.
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

bob7374

Quote from: abqtraveler on December 24, 2020, 07:08:14 PM

Why did they decide to start renumbering exits on the Mass Pike at Weston and work toward New York, then do the easternmost part of the Pike last? That seems to be a caddiwhompus way of completing the exit conversion because--for a period of time that could range from weeks to months--exits on the easternmost section of the Pike will be the old sequential exits. Then they will jump to mile-based exits once you get west of the 128 beltway. Talk about confusion, there you go.
My guess is that some of the exit renumbering heading west from Logan Airport might require shutting down ramps for the I-93 exits, and even with overnight work, they may not have wanted to do that during the holidays due to higher traffic volume to and from the airport. Though, they could have started at Allston-Brighton if that were the case instead of I-95. There will be a short-term duplication when the eastbound exits are renumbered because the Lee exit will become 10 and for a few days, no more hopefully, the Auburn exit will be 10 too.

rushfan01760

I was on US 6 today and can confirm that all of the exit numbers have been updated on that road.  The only thing I don't like is Rte. 3 North's designation of Exit 1B.  If this is supposed to be based off Rte. 3's mileage, then Rte. 3 North should not have a number because it would be exiting itself.  The 1B Exit number should have been transferred to the US 6 West (Scenic Highway) Exit.

[I also was on the Plimoth Plantation Highway westbound (toward Rte. 3 North) and noticed that the two advance signs for Exit 13 on Rte. 3 (just before the end) still have the exit number as 5.]

bob7374

Quote from: rushfan01760 on December 26, 2020, 06:22:59 PM

I was on US 6 today and can confirm that all of the exit numbers have been updated on that road.  The only thing I don't like is Rte. 3 North's designation of Exit 1B.  If this is supposed to be based off Rte. 3's mileage, then Rte. 3 North should not have a number because it would be exiting itself.  The 1B Exit number should have been transferred to the US 6 West (Scenic Highway) Exit.
Here's one of the signs referred to above.

I agree that if the exits on the north side of the bridge are Route 3's, then the tab over the Route 3 North sign should be removed and the right sign have a tab stating Exits 1A-B. It made sense under a sequential system to differentiate between Exits 1 on Routes 3 and 6 by using letters, however, under a milepost system, and if the exit tabs are to stay where they are, then what's wrong with having them all as US 6 exits and having an Exit 55 C-B-A system as was previously proposed under the postponed 2016 contract?

Ben114

It doesn't really make sense to keep it as exit 1 with the new system. They should have kept the proposal from 2016 with exits 55 A-B-C because of the Sagamore Bridge. I'm not fully sure where MassDOT has mile 0 on Route 3, but it is primarily Route 6 going over the bridge. Exit 1C, located on the south side of the bridge, would be a Route 3 exit past the end of Route 3 itself.

If this were to switch to 55, it would make far more sense with Route 6 going over the bridge. The only issue would be Route 3 ending with exit 55, or an exit with multiple numbers (1 and 55).

Edit: I just realized that 1C is actually switching to 55. Still doesn't make sense that 1A and 1B carry over from Route 3, especially when a) these are signed from Route 6 before Route 3 begins, and b) Route 6's ramp doesn't have an exit number, implying that Route 6 is the through route (however, the layout of the interchange doesn't agree with this)

PurdueBill

They don't make any sense there.  55 for 1C EB and WB is OK.  The screwiness arises from 1A being basically off of 6 WB (at the very beginning of 3 NB too) but off of 3 SB, and with the sequential numbers, they could cover that up with the 1A number.  Now, US 6 WB is still not signed as an "exit" north of the bridge, once they break actual Exit 1A out from the thru signage for 6, with 1A being Scusset Beach and 1B being route 3.  Southbound Exit 1B for 6 EB carries signage over to the south side of the bridge after route 3 has ended and it is seen by US 6 traffic that shouldn't see it, as it is a route 3 exit number on the wrong side of the canal.
It seems that they feel forced to use the same exit number for Scusset Beach both directions, which is mucking everything up.  It could be 54B on 6 WB right at the start of 3 NB, with 3 being exit 54A.  Southbound on 3, the exit 1A is actually for both 6 WB and Scusset, so that could stay 1A off of 3.  Would the people giving directions to stuff around Scusset State Beach hate being exit 1A one way and 54B the other?  Sure, but the insanity of 55-1A-1B on US 6 with the A and B of exit 1 even being in the wrong order (eastbound, B should come before A especially as there used to be a C) has to be fixed.

bob7374

Quote from: PurdueBill on December 27, 2020, 03:55:01 PM
They don't make any sense there.  55 for 1C EB and WB is OK.  The screwiness arises from 1A being basically off of 6 WB (at the very beginning of 3 NB too) but off of 3 SB, and with the sequential numbers, they could cover that up with the 1A number.  Now, US 6 WB is still not signed as an "exit" north of the bridge, once they break actual Exit 1A out from the thru signage for 6, with 1A being Scusset Beach and 1B being route 3.  Southbound Exit 1B for 6 EB carries signage over to the south side of the bridge after route 3 has ended and it is seen by US 6 traffic that shouldn't see it, as it is a route 3 exit number on the wrong side of the canal.
It seems that they feel forced to use the same exit number for Scusset Beach both directions, which is mucking everything up.  It could be 54B on 6 WB right at the start of 3 NB, with 3 being exit 54A.  Southbound on 3, the exit 1A is actually for both 6 WB and Scusset, so that could stay 1A off of 3.  Would the people giving directions to stuff around Scusset State Beach hate being exit 1A one way and 54B the other?  Sure, but the insanity of 55-1A-1B on US 6 with the A and B of exit 1 even being in the wrong order (eastbound, B should come before A especially as there used to be a C) has to be fixed.
I agree. At least they removed the exit number for US 6 East at the Route 6A exit (sorry for the late afternoon glare):

I've posted all the photos I took yesterday, including of the Chase Road exit:

on my New England Exit Renumbering Central page photo section:
https://malmeroads.net/mass21c/neexitrenumbering.html#photos

CapeCodder

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on December 23, 2020, 06:21:07 PM
BOO-HOO-HOO! WHINE! WHINE! WHINE! US 6's exit numbers are changing, end of discussion! Suck it up, Cape Cod! By the way, does anyone have any cheese? It would go well with the Cape Coders' wineing (whining).

I'm glad that they're changing. The sequential numbers don't really make sense anymore.

The Ghostbuster

See, Cape Cod! The exits on US 6 were renumbered without the Rapture or the Apocalypse happening. Now if they could just find a way to expand the two-lane section east of Exit 78 to four lanes, and convert the Sagamore Bridge from a four-lane undivided bridge into a four or six-lane divided bridge.

DJ Particle

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on December 28, 2020, 04:22:39 PM
convert the Sagamore Bridge from a four-lane undivided bridge into a four or six-lane divided bridge.

Supposedly that's coming before this decade ends....  yes, seriously.

vdeane

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on December 28, 2020, 04:22:39 PM
See, Cape Cod! The exits on US 6 were renumbered without the Rapture or the Apocalypse happening.
It's 2020.  Those things could be happening right now or yet to come.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Beeper1

Mass Pike westbound exits are all renumbered all the way to the NY border as of today (12/28), not counting the Boston Extension.

Eastbound, so far the Lee, Westfield, and I-91 exits have been changed.   

Ben114

The next batch of highways to be renumbered has been announced.

I-295: 1/3 and 1/4
MA 24: 3 weeks starting 1/5 (1/5 to 1/26)

Beeper1

As of 12/29, Mass Pike eastbound renumbering has made it as far as Auburn.  At this rate, they should be complete by middle of next wee.

bob7374

Quote from: Ben114 on December 29, 2020, 10:11:48 AM
The next batch of highways to be renumbered has been announced.

I-295: 1/3 and 1/4
MA 24: 3 weeks starting 1/5 (1/5 to 1/26)
Here's the official MassDOT blog post announcement:
http://blog.mass.gov/transportation/massdot-highway/federally-required-statewide-exit-renumbering-to-begin-on-i-295-rt-24/

It appears MassDOT estimates the contractor to do 2 exits in one direction per night. Therefore I-295's 3 exits (2 NB, 1 SB) will take 2 nights. MA 24's 27 exits (14 NB, 13 SB) would take 14 nights, and since the contractor works 5 days a week, with work over 3 weeks. So far, work has typically proceeded faster than this estimate, especially on US 6 where most of the signs were ground mounted and 4-5 exits were done per night. Work on MA 3 seemed to average around 3-4 exits per night. Liddell, the Mass Pike contractor, seems to be doing about 3 exits per night. Work was complete eastbound to I-91 (old Exit 4) at the start of the week and has proceeded over 2 days to Auburn (Old Exit 10). If this holds tonight, all the Worcester area exits and I-495 should be complete before breaking for the New Year's holiday. This leaves everything east of I-495 eastbound and east of I-95 westbound to be completed by Thursday of next week, agreeing with Beeper1's prediction.

rushfan01760

Was on the Mass Pike between Natick and Allston this weekend.  Most of the signs eastbound in this area have been updated; however, two advance signs for the old Exit 14 (I-95) exit eastbound (the 2-mile advance and a hazmat warning sign) had the exit number changed to 117 when the number should have been 123. 

bob7374

Quote from: rushfan01760 on January 03, 2021, 08:21:43 PM
Was on the Mass Pike between Natick and Allston this weekend.  Most of the signs eastbound in this area have been updated; however, two advance signs for the old Exit 14 (I-95) exit eastbound (the 2-mile advance and a hazmat warning sign) had the exit number changed to 117 when the number should have been 123. 
That's a major error. Were there any Exit 123 signs for the MA 30/Natick exit? Did the renumbering continue beyond I-95?Because of the bad weather tonight, it does not appear the contractor has started renumbering I-295. Fortunately, they can do it in 1 night and are not due to start MA 24 until Tuesday.

rushfan01760

Quote from: bob7374 on January 03, 2021, 11:05:17 PM
Quote from: rushfan01760 on January 03, 2021, 08:21:43 PM
That's a major error. Were there any Exit 123 signs for the MA 30/Natick exit? Did the renumbering continue beyond I-95?Because of the bad weather tonight, it does not appear the contractor has started renumbering I-295. Fortunately, they can do it in 1 night and are not due to start MA 24 until Tuesday.

I didn't see any 123 signs for the Rte. 30 exit but then again I didn't drive on the Mass Pike east between Rte. 9 and Rte. 30 so I can't tell what the numbers are there.

bob7374

Work has commenced, and will hopefully wrap up, on exit renumbering on I-295 tonight. Meanwhile, it appears exit renumbering eastbound has made it to the I-93 exit. Here's a photo MassDOT posted on its Twitter account this afternoon that was taken last night:

The tweet said the contractor will be changing exit numbers in the Ted Williams tunnel this week, hopefully continuing on to get the rest of the westbound exits out to MA 16 in Newton as well.

bob7374

Work started on renumbering the exits on MA 24 South on Wednesday night. I took a quick drive out to see what progress had been made, the first 4 exits are renumbered. Here's the 1 mile advance for the third exit, MA 27:

The remainder of today's photos are at the usual place:
https://malmeroads.net/mass21c/neexitrenumbering.html#photos

Work has apparently been completed for the Mass Pike/I-90. I hope to confirm that sometime over the weekend.

bob7374

I took a drive along the Pike from Boston out to Auburn and back. The exit renumbering is not quite done. There are several auxiliary signs eastbound starting at Framingham that still have the old exit numbers. The overhead signs for the exits beyond Allston-Brighton need to be renumbered with the exception of I-93. The reportedly wrong numbered 2-miles advance sign EB for the I-95/MA 128 exit has been fixed:

All other photos taken over my past 2 trips along the Pike can be found at:
https://malmeroads.net/mass21c/neexitrenumbering.html#i90exits

The contractor changing exit numbers on MA 24 South appears to be at the I-495 exit late this evening, according to Waze.

kramie13

I was running an errand in Brockton this morning and crossed Route 24 at the Route 123 interchange.  When going over the highway (along MA 123), looking south I noticed the exit for 123 East has been renumbered to exit 31A.  But looking north, the exit for 123 West is still exit 17B.

Why is the contractor renumbering only the southbound side of Route 24?  Wouldn't this create confusion for a round trip driver?

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: kramie13 on January 12, 2021, 03:35:52 PM
I was running an errand in Brockton this morning and crossed Route 24 at the Route 123 interchange.  When going over the highway (along MA 123), looking south I noticed the exit for 123 East has been renumbered to exit 31A.  But looking north, the exit for 123 West is still exit 17B.

Why is the contractor renumbering only the southbound side of Route 24?  Wouldn't this create confusion for a round trip driver?

Because they are renumbering the exits on the southbound side first, then working their way back north.  SOP for the renumberings is to start at the north/easternmost point and work south/westbound, then work back north/eastbound.  It's only temporary. 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.