News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Recreational Travel limited in Arkansas

Started by US71, April 04, 2020, 03:37:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

Arkansas Governor Asa Hutchinson has signed an executive order prohibiting short-term stay of recreational out-of-state travelers.

Order applies to commercial lodging and short-term rentals, including hotels, motels, and vacation rentals.  I guess you could still camp in the state park, if they're still open.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

bjrush

State parks are day use only right now
Woo Pig Sooie

Max Rockatansky

There goes any short term aspirations of visiting Hot Springs National Park again...

ozarkman417

Quote from: bjrush on April 04, 2020, 06:20:46 PM
and then there is Lake Ouachita. Three campers tested positive there and the whole park closed. Ozark Nat'l Forest hasn't closed down Hawksbill Crag yet, and after being there a week ago, I'm not sure why they haven't.

Only a week ago I stayed at an AirBNB near St Paul. A couple months ago I booked a stay in the Mount Magazine State Park Lodge (the trip itself will be sometime during the summer), and the Arkansas State Parks website says they are giving refunds.

US71

Quote from: ozarkman417 on April 04, 2020, 08:20:37 PM
and then there is Lake Ouachita. Three campers tested positive there and the whole park closed. Ozark Nat'l Forest hasn't closed down Hawksbill Crag yet, and after being there a week ago, I'm not sure why they haven't.

Only a week ago I stayed at an AirBNB near St Paul. A couple months ago I booked a stay in the Mount Magazine State Park Lodge (the trip itself will be sometime during the summer), and the Arkansas State Parks website says they are giving refunds.

St Paul just came into the 21st Century: they now have a Casey's  ;)

ozarkman417

Quote from: US71 on April 04, 2020, 08:47:47 PM

In my mind, 'civilization' is when a town has a Dollar General. St Paul got one a couple months ago

edwaleni

Quote from: ozarkman417 on April 04, 2020, 09:16:28 PM
Quote from: US71 on April 04, 2020, 08:47:47 PM

In my mind, 'civilization' is when a town has a Dollar General. St Paul got one a couple months ago

This is weird hearing about St Paul, Arkansas. It's on my bucket list of places I want to go to. It's so small, i didn't think anyone had heard of it except the people who live there.

oscar

Quote from: edwaleni on April 04, 2020, 10:02:31 PM
This is weird hearing about St Paul, Arkansas. It's on my bucket list of places I want to go to. It's so small, i didn't think anyone had heard of it except the people who live there.

I don't travel much in Arkansas, but I was familiar with the place. I got stuck there overnight, after driving south on a particularly treacherous part of the "Pig Trail" in an unexpected ice storm.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

US71

Quote from: oscar on April 04, 2020, 10:15:06 PM
Quote from: edwaleni on April 04, 2020, 10:02:31 PM

I don't travel much in Arkansas, but I was familiar with the place. I got stuck there overnight, after driving south on a particularly treacherous part of the "Pig Trail" in an unexpected ice storm.

That's not fun.

oscar

Quote from: US71 on April 05, 2020, 09:58:25 AM
Quote from: oscar on April 04, 2020, 10:15:06 PM
That's not fun.

Right. I had to crawl my way down from Huntsville.

One of the first things I did when I got back home was to order replacements for the crap OEM tires my pickup truck came with. Later, I also got a set of tire chains (which got very little use, but were an essential backstop in case I needed them).
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

cjk374

On US 79 coming into AR from Haynesville, LA, ARDOT has put up 2 electronic message signs. The first says NO REC LODGING FOR, and the 2nd says OUT OF STATE TRAVELER.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

MikieTimT

Quote from: cjk374 on April 30, 2020, 05:48:05 PM
On US 79 coming into AR from Haynesville, LA, ARDOT has put up 2 electronic message signs. The first says NO REC LODGING FOR, and the 2nd says OUT OF STATE TRAVELER.

They've got that restriction posted on many of the VMS around the state. The state parks are about to open to Arkansas residents for RV camping, but with the bathroom facilities closed and the more commonly travelled hiking trails still closed.  Will give the residents a little break from their houses.

ozarkman417

US71

Quote from: ozarkman417 on May 05, 2020, 03:38:43 PM
Restrictions for out of state travelers have for the most part been lifted

https://www.ky3.com/content/news/Arkansas-lifts-restrictions-for-recreational-out-of-state-travelers-aside-from-hot-spot-residents-570212781.html

Restaurants have reopened on a limited basis, too (10 foot intervals between tables), but many are biding their time for a few more weeks or until an "all clear" sounds from the governor.

ozarkman417

Additionally, the Buffalo River will re-open to day use on the 15th, with exceptions (such as the Lost Valley Trail remaining closed).

cjk374

Quote from: cjk374 on April 30, 2020, 05:48:05 PM

ARDOT removed the VMS signs from US 79 Wednesday morning.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.