News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Cashless Tolling coming soon to Kansas Turnpike

Started by route56, July 14, 2023, 09:44:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

route56

There's a big thread on the Oklahoma Turnpikes going to a cashless system. It's time to give their northern neighbor some love.

https://fox4kc.com/news/kansas-news/with-cashless-system-say-goodbye-to-toll-booths-on-kansas-turnpike-soon/

As a regular commuter on the Turnpike between Lawrence and Topeka, I have seen the new gantries for the Cashless tolling service go up.

* There are gantries for both directions on each side of Exit 202. The westbound gantries on the east side of Exit 202 also have a new Exit arrow sign for the exit on the Gantry. How do I know it's a new sign: It's in FHWA Series E(M).

* There's an eastbound gantry just east of the Topeka Service Plaza, and a westbound gantry right at the west end of the Topeka Service Plaza.

* The new gatries have streetlight-style lighting. (as opposed to those giant light towers) There are currently blue signs stating "Cashless Tolling Coming 2024"
Peace to you, and... don't drive like my brother.

R.P.K.

ElishaGOtis

BUMP

I have an update from GSV. https://maps.app.goo.gl/oXQFDfyZDPDsu3J99

This shows the aforementioned blue sign. A website is listed - driveks.com - which confirms that cashless tolling will be active starting July 2024. Like other ORT toll systems, this appears to be using be segment/zone based tolling with gantries between each exit. Not sure if they will be fully using toll-by-plate or if they'll keep using online-only payments like on Exit 53A / US-400.
When there are Teslas, there are Toll Roads

vdeane

Quote from: ElishaGOtis on March 30, 2024, 11:22:10 PMNot sure if they will be fully using toll-by-plate or if they'll keep using online-only payments like on Exit 53A / US-400.
I guess it's not just Illinois.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

ElishaGOtis

Quote from: vdeane on March 31, 2024, 12:25:15 PM
Quote from: ElishaGOtis on March 30, 2024, 11:22:10 PMNot sure if they will be fully using toll-by-plate or if they'll keep using online-only payments like on Exit 53A / US-400.
I guess it's not just Illinois.

There's also San Joaquin TCA. Arguably it's cheaper for the agency to direct motorists to pay online after travel, but certainly not as convenient for motorists compared to traditional toll-by-plate mail invoices... Thankfully, on both the Kansas Turnpike and ISTHA's tollways, one can use SunPass PRO. :spin:
When there are Teslas, there are Toll Roads

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.