News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

New Oklahoma License Plate Design

Started by Plutonic Panda, August 23, 2016, 02:25:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plutonic Panda

Bobby5280

I don't mind the background graphics, although the Twitter-esque blue color scheme could have been different and not so cold looking.

My gripe is with the typography. It just seems way too clunky. The tag numbers & letters are already mechanical looking enough (and ugly at that). Throwing Eurostile Bold Extended (also known as Microgramma) into the design scheme just adds to the clunky feel. The dynamic of it lands with a thud. I understand why they chose that typeface (it's on the latest Oklahoma state flag design). It just doesn't work well in this layout. It looks like they stretched the URL lettering, which is a major gripe of mine in graphic design standards of practice. I really hate signs and other pieces of graphic design where the designer squeezed or stretched the lettering out of its native proportions. The practice will give any piece of graphic design the stench of having been designed by a rank amateur.

I liked the previous plates that used variants of Trajan or a similar serif typeface. That provided a tasteful contrast to the clunky tag letters & numerals.

I don't like the "Explore" and web URL parts of the design. I would prefer it just to say "Oklahoma" and not have any other spam.  This is a license plate, not a tourism ad. I can see people making jokes about the "Explore Oklahoma" thing, as if it is a plea out of desperation or even one with a sexual connotation with what "explore" could suggest.

Plutonic Panda

I'm not a huge fan of it, but I don't hate it.

jakeroot

I saw this variation on another news site. I like the colors here more. I would like to see this design, but with dark blue lettering. Maybe I'll make a mockup.

SP Cook

Not as bad as the old Kentucky sun-smiley face ones, but pretty bad.  To me the UN blue and white bird says "peacenik" at first glance.  How many people from out of state are even going to know what kind of bird it is, or why they used it. 

To me Oklahoma has pretty close to exclusive claim to using "Indian" imagry, due to the unique history of the place, and should stick to that.

kphoger

Re:  Oklahoma

I don't judge any plate anymore until I see it in person on an actual vehicle.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Plutonic Panda

Scott5114

The real reason for this is a cash grab. They're banking on that $5 plate reissue fee to help plug a hole in the budget. That, and I'm pretty sure 3M sent a lobbyist to Oklahoma City, since there was a previous version of this bill that would have changed Oklahoma to a two-plate state (one of 3M's pet projects).

Quote from: Bobby5280 on August 23, 2016, 03:20:53 PM
My gripe is with the typography. It just seems way too clunky. The tag numbers & letters are already mechanical looking enough (and ugly at that). Throwing Eurostile Bold Extended (also known as Microgramma) into the design scheme just adds to the clunky feel. The dynamic of it lands with a thud. I understand why they chose that typeface (it's on the latest Oklahoma state flag design). It just doesn't work well in this layout. It looks like they stretched the URL lettering, which is a major gripe of mine in graphic design standards of practice.

Agreed. If they had re-used the "Oklahoma" text on the previous issue as-is, and used the font "Native America" was in, it would have been fine.

I've also seen some people pointing out that the flycatcher outline is strikingly similar to one of the images on the first page of the Google Image Search results for "scissortailed flycatcher":

Which raises questions of copyright infringement.

Quote from: jakeroot on August 23, 2016, 08:42:30 PM
Just for shits, I created a mockup of an Oklahoma licence plate with a simpler design. Most of my designs are similar to Colorado's Rocky Mountain plates. I chose a buffalo for the center because of its strong ties to both historic and modern Oklahoma.

Technically and artistically, you did just fine. As a design, though, I don't really care for it. Other than the buffalo, the only design is what seems to be a representation of a prairie horizon, which isn't that visually interesting and only really represents the third of the state west of US-81, which is also the least populated third of the state.

I don't mind the background of the new plate, just the typography. But I've always been kind of fond of scissortails, since there were a fair number of them where I grew up. Another interesting symbol they could have used is the feather logo they use on https://ok.gov/. I could see that as a background element, perhaps similar to the current Kansas plate, working nicely.

Another gripe: I wish they would have taken the opportunity to move the county code to its own sticker, similar to Kansas. Currently it's crammed in with the expiration month (instead of FEB, a plate issued out of Cleveland County would have a 'CL 02' sticker).
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

TXtoNJ

Terrible, and a blatant cash grab/Fallin vanity project. Guessing she personally approved this, given the bad taste involved.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.