News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

OK 87 still follows US 259 at least to JCT US 70 Bypass in Idabel

Started by bugo, February 26, 2013, 02:35:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

http://www.okladot.state.ok.us/memorial/highways/pdfs/logs/us259log.pdf

It says "FOLLOW ROUTES" and "SH 87."  It wouldn't show "SH 87" under "FOLLOW ROUTES" if US 259 and OK 87 weren't duplexed.

Scott5114

This contradicts the control section map for McCurtain County, which shows no evidence of SH-87 between Idabel and the signed western terminus.

Something's wrong here. The supposedly-concurrent section existed as solely SH-87 before US-259 was added to the Oklahoma highway system in 1961. My guess is that either someone neglected to remove SH-87 on either the state map or the log (or perhaps they were legitimately concurrent for a transition period, even), and the error was copied from one to the other and left to fester for decades. My guess is that the error didn't promulgate to the control section map book because it has to be more thoroughly audited to ensure ODOT contracts and/or maintenance accounting is accurate (which is what the control section book is probably for), and the signage guys left it off because why the hell would you sign a concurrent route to nowhere? (That, and it costs more money, and they probably draw sign plans up by the example of what's already there, and the US-259 signs correctly bumped off the SH-87s.) I may be way off in my mental picture of how ODOT operates, though.

I'd like to think that SH-87 is not concurrent here, because it makes absolutely no sense for it to be. But of course we'll never know for sure if ODOT puts out conflicting information like this. But knowing ODOT, even they probably don't know where SH-87 ends.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.