News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Timelapse Driving Videos

Started by haljackey, August 28, 2013, 12:44:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrossCountryRoads

I have a ton of YouTube road videos, but I don't do the whole time lapse thing.  Mine are slightly sped up, just enough to make it look like you're moving along at close to real time.

What I've found though is that the YT video player has an option to speed the videos up by up to 3 or 4x.  I like that, since it allows people who enjoy time lapse videos to enjoy my videos and others who upload real time videos (or close to real time) as if they were time lapse videos.  It's nice to have that option.  Check out my YT channel at the link in my signature if you want to see what I mean.

US 41

Quote from: CrossCountryRoads on August 30, 2015, 09:05:12 PM
I have a ton of YouTube road videos, but I don't do the whole time lapse thing.  Mine are slightly sped up, just enough to make it look like you're moving along at close to real time.

What I've found though is that the YT video player has an option to speed the videos up by up to 3 or 4x.  I like that, since it allows people who enjoy time lapse videos to enjoy my videos and others who upload real time videos (or close to real time) as if they were time lapse videos.  It's nice to have that option.  Check out my YT channel at the link in my signature if you want to see what I mean.

I've seen some of your videos on Youtube and I really enjoy watching them. I had no idea you were a member on AARoads.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

CrossCountryRoads

Quote from: US 41 on August 30, 2015, 09:54:15 PM
Quote from: CrossCountryRoads on August 30, 2015, 09:05:12 PM

I've seen some of your videos on Youtube and I really enjoy watching them. I had no idea you were a member on AARoads.

I'm glad you have enjoyed my videos man!  Yeah, I'm a member here, but I usually only have time to pop in and out every now and then :)

haljackey

My first road video in over a year showing the Highway 401 extension in Windsor, Ontario. It will link up to a new US border crossing when complete.

AsphaltPlanet

Wow.  Talk about over posting this video.  That's twice on this forum, twice on skyscraperpage, once on skyscrapercity, once on urban toronto, twice on two of the facebook groups i subscribe.  Anywhere else?  I get being excited that your shot a video of a road, but respectfully, this seems pretty excessive.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

US 41

What kind of cameras do you guys use? My camera will only allow me to record in 720 for 10 minute intervals. I can record in 480 for up to 30 minutes, but obviously the quality isn't as good.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

MarkF

Quote from: US 41 on July 18, 2016, 08:25:02 AM
What kind of cameras do you guys use? My camera will only allow me to record in 720 for 10 minute intervals. I can record in 480 for up to 30 minutes, but obviously the quality isn't as good.

I use a GoPro, and prior to that, a Panasonic point-and-shoot camera.  8mm video prior to that, and 8mm film.
https://www.youtube.com/user/101not5

haljackey

Quote from: US 41 on July 18, 2016, 08:25:02 AM

I use a Nikon D3200 with a 35mm prime lens. This is zoomed in enough so you don't see the hood of the car but not so much that it looks like I'm super close to the vehicle in front of me.
-This one can do 20 min long recordings at 1080p with 30 FPS. Newer SLRs can go 30 mins at 1080p with 60FPS. That would be real sweet... and some higher end cameras can do 4K which is a little overboard.

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on July 17, 2016, 04:19:32 PM
Wow.  Talk about over posting this video.  That's twice on this forum, twice on skyscraperpage, once on skyscrapercity, once on urban toronto, twice on two of the facebook groups i subscribe.  Anywhere else?  I get being excited that your shot a video of a road, but respectfully, this seems pretty excessive.

Respectively, point taken. I thought it would be good to share it in different places because I thought there would be interest from these audiences. I do realize that this audience frequents similar websites thus it was a little excessive. Thanks for the constructive criticism!

bing101

ce929wax

Quote from: ElPanaChevere on June 30, 2014, 03:05:45 PM
I personally don't make them but there is one Youtuber named barbiepoledancer who has really high quality timelapse driving videos. She has her videos in a format where the state you're located in is in the upper left hand corner (denoted by a welcome sign), the route you're on (lower left hand corner), the current city you're in (in text on the bottom of the screen). It's so well done and I'm astounded by how much effort she puts intos her videos.

I have watched her videos before.  I need to see if she has any new ones.

Truvelo

Here's one from my trip to Colorado last year. This is taken along US-50 from Sargents to Gunnison.

Speed limits limit life

AsphaltPlanet

^ It looks like you spent more time in the opposing lane than you did in your own lane :)
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

Truvelo

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on December 09, 2018, 04:59:49 PM
^ It looks like you spent more time in the opposing lane than you did in your own lane :)

I like to make progress :colorful:

Unlike this when driving through Chicago rather than using the Tollway :banghead:

Speed limits limit life

Bruce

Here's a good one: Washington DC to Seattle via Denver. 10 hours, complete with minimaps.

Mileage Mike

Quote from: Bruce on December 29, 2018, 01:12:04 AM
Here's a good one: Washington DC to Seattle via Denver. 10 hours, complete with minimaps.

Yeah that's a really good one. I saw that he has another cross country one from California to NY.

Rothman

Wonder how he synced up the timelapse with the geographic information.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

hbelkins

Quote from: Rothman on February 17, 2019, 02:12:40 PM
Wonder how he synced up the timelapse with the geographic information.

I wondered the same thing.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

vdeane

Probably a lot of hard work.  It's better than another video I saw, where the person set up a running "mileage" counter, but did it by dividing the amount driven over the video, resulting in it continuing to count up even when stopped.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Mileage Mike

Created my first Time-Lapse video a little while back of I-285 in North Carolina.

More on the channel and more coming. I also do some real-time highway driving videos so be sure to check them out.

vtk

Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.