News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Southwest Blvd, Wichita

Started by route56, September 15, 2013, 08:07:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

route56

Since what I'm revisiting is tangent to the original topic, I'm posting this as a new subject, rather than exhuming the Wichita Road Meet thread.

To review, from the Wichita Road Meet thread, regarding the K-2 and K-42 designations on Southwest Blvd. in Wichita:

Quote from: J N Winkler on July 22, 2013, 12:19:20 AM
Thanks for this--I checked and it seems both of the K-2 overlaps (K-14 south of Harper and K-42 to Wichita) disappeared between the 1993-94 and 1995-96 editions of the official state transportation map.  A check of the rural resolutions website suggests these changes were made, possibly through the same instrument, with a signature date of 1994-12-21, but I can't confirm right now because the relevant documents are not loading for me.

Sources conflict as to when K-42 was dropped along Southwest Blvd. within the I-235 loop.  It is shown on the 1997-1998 state map, but not the 1999-2000 one.  The only resolution the rural resolutions website lists for K-42 in Sedgwick County has a signature date of 1994-12-21, which suggests K-42 was pruned at the same time the useless overlaps of K-2 were removed, but I remember K-42 continued to be signed at the Meridian/Edwards exit for a time after the K-2 shields were removed.

Quote from: J N Winkler on July 22, 2013, 12:16:11 PM
A quick inspection of multiple resolutions dated 1994-12-21 shows that a large number (probably nearly all) useless overlaps were removed on that date, through multiple instruments (K-14 overlapping mileage in Barber and Harper counties handled by one instrument, K-2 overlapping mileage in Sedgwick and Sumner counties handled by another).

The one dealing with K-2 and K-42 in Sedgwick County is actually quite unclear as to what was to be done with the existing eastern terminus of K-42 in Sedgwick County.  It can be found here:

http://idmweb.ksdot.org/publiclib/publicdoc.asp?ID=003710819:1

The existing condition, before approval of this instrument, was that K-2 and K-42 overlapped on Southwest Boulevard all the way to the US 54 interchange.  The instrument hints that its sole purpose is to remove the useless K-2 overlap (". . . with the provision that the existing road shall remain on the State Highway System designated solely as K-42"), but it also contains language that references the "western city limits of Wichita," which on the K-42/Southwest Boulevard corridor are at the I-235 interchange.

The instrument, in fact, is so unclear and so badly worded that I think the K-2 signs were taken down right away but it was not realized until much later (perhaps as much as a year or two later) that the intent was also to move the K-42 terminus out to the Wichita city limits.

I was going through some notes on my computer, and stumbled upon a date when Southwest Blvd. between I-235 and Kellogg was turned back to the City of Wichita: March 1, 2001.

Although there is no Rural Resolution or CCL resolution, KDOT did post a document called "Kansas Map Changes." The 2001 changes are in this PDF document: http://www.ksdot.org/burtransplan/maps/mapchangehist/2001KSmapCHANGES.pdf

It shows that the removal was related to project K 4445-02. A web search identified K 4445-02 as the project number for the Kellogg/Oliver interchange.

So, in a nutshell: Wichita agreed to remove Southwest Blvd. inside I-235 as a CCL in exchange for construction of Kellogg and Oliver. The change was effective in 2001.

EDIT! five years after the fact (7/12/18) to reflect a glaring typo in the final paragraph  :biggrin:
Peace to you, and... don't drive like my brother.

R.P.K.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.