News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

New Jersey

Started by Alps, September 17, 2013, 07:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveG1988

Quote from: NE2 on November 30, 2013, 01:13:14 PM
Quote from: SteveG1988 on November 30, 2013, 12:20:53 PM
I honestly think west trenton exists because of the reading railroad. It makes sense as a train station name more than a town name
In 1849 and 1872 it was called Birmingham. In 1918 it was Trenton Junction, definitely a railroad name. Then in 1938 it was West Trenton. Note that there was a post office, so the USPS probably got its greedy little Obamunistic fingers in there.

My town changed names around then too, went from Northampton to Mount Holly...kind of screws up the naming since we got S/E/W ampton still
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

Alps

Quote from: Interstatefan78 on November 30, 2013, 01:20:11 PM
Drove thru the Newark airport zone yesterday and most of the signs in the terminal are in Clearview font and I think the PANJNY did this because the gantries lack lighting on them Lastly the Musconetcong River sign on I-78 West is in clearview font and I think the clearview switch in NJ will occur first in the cities then the rural parts of NJ
For the love of God, learn punctuation. Seriously. If this offends you, grow up and then learn punctuation.
Also, you're wrong. PANYNJ uses Frutiger, not Clearview. I-78 would not have any Clearview unless it's within DRJBTA jurisdiction - and I haven't been that far west recently enough to know if it does.

NJRoadfan

I-78 crosses the river well east of anything DRJTBA maintains. NJDOT has switched to mixed case LGSes to comply with the 2009 MUTCD, but they definitely aren't Clearview.

Zeffy

Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 30, 2013, 11:06:59 AM
And you may have been the first person to compliment anything in Trenton in the past 20 years.

I keep hoping that if any of New Jersey's shitty cities can re-gain it's ground, that city is Trenton. Not only is it conveniently close to me, it's a city that is rich with wonderful history, and me being a history nut would love to see the city regain its former glory. I've been through downtown Trenton and South Trenton, and there's some nice [looking] neighborhoods. Unfortunately, that all goes away when you cross anywhere north of the Battle Monument. There was a recent marathon in Trenton, as well as an art exhibit, and articles on NJ.com praised the city for being able to host those types of venues, even in those blighted areas. However, it is still extremely dangerous to hang around Trenton past sundown. I guess when you have corruption run rampant in the city's offices you end up not being able to keep the city appealing to more wealthy families. While this is straying a bit off topic from road discussion (don't worry, I'll make my post still relevant at the end), it seems that Camden is doing better than Newark these days, at least in murders. (That doesn't sound right at all) Camden has around 47 homicides this year, while Newark has double that at about 95. Trenton has about 33 homicides this year, but I don't know if that's an increase or a decrease from previous years. All in all, New Jersey has about 7-8 cities on the 'Most Dangerous Places to Live' list. Are there really any cities where you don't have to worry about your own safety more-so than other places? The closest one I can think of may be New Brunswick... I have not visited Jersey City, Atlantic City, Hoboken, etc.

Now, on topic, does anyone know when the construction on the CR 518 bridge leading to Hopewell will be re-opened? I'm pretty sure that the bridge has been closed for 8+ months now, and it feels like it shouldn't take this long to repair a bridge. I looked for information on the Mercer County / NJDOT website, but I can't find anything. I drove past the intersection about a week ago, and sure enough, the 'ROAD CLOSED' signs are still there.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Alps

Quote from: Zeffy on November 30, 2013, 11:30:45 PM
Now, on topic, does anyone know when the construction on the CR 518 bridge leading to Hopewell will be re-opened? I'm pretty sure that the bridge has been closed for 8+ months now, and it feels like it shouldn't take this long to repair a bridge. I looked for information on the Mercer County / NJDOT website, but I can't find anything. I drove past the intersection about a week ago, and sure enough, the 'ROAD CLOSED' signs are still there.
I did get this from Hunterdon:
"Inter-County Bridge E-140-M is located on County Route 518 over the Stony Brook, East Amwell Township, Hunterdon County and Hopewell Township, Mercer County.  Inter-County Bridge E-140-M is .21 mile East of State Route 31.  Inter-County Bridge E-140-M and approach roadway of County Route 518 will be closed starting on or about July 1, 2013 (was previously scheduled for April 1, 2013) .  The Reconstruction Inter-County Bridge E-140-M and approach roadway of County Route 518 is scheduled to last approximately four (4) months.

A detour will be posted.

The contractor is Interstate Contracting & Excavating, LLC."
It sounds like it should be close to reopening, based on July plus 4.

Also check out http://www.hopewelltwp.org/notices/bear_tavern_road_20131112.html

jeffandnicole

Has NJ used the centerline rumble strip which other states (such as Pennsy) love to use?  If not, they will.  The following is on the NJDOT website to go out to bid in December:

Rt 70, Center Line Rumble Strip Installation

This is a two lane road with a high incidence of centerline crossover head-on crashes as evidenced by three individual segments having been identified as high frequency crash clusters on our Cross Centerline Head-on Crash list. This roadway needs to be addressed with safety measures to reduce the frequency of these types of severe crashes for which the installation of centerline rumble strips is considered a proven, low-cost countermeasure. Various locations.

Proposed Advertised Month December, 2013

Project Details

Burlington, Ocean Counties/Evesham Twp, Medford Twp, Southampton Twp, Woodland Twp, Pemberton Twp, Manchester Twp, Lakehurst Boro, Toms River Twp, Brick Twp

MP: 9.95- 18.43, 18.64 - 26.30, 26.50-43.43, 43.65-44.28, 44.84- 49.40, 54.02- 54.17
(Head-on crashes) 10.10-11.56, 21.00-23.50, 39.93-40.50

Estimate Range  $1 - $1,000,000

NJRoadfan

I haven't seen it used here before. Not surprised it being deployed on NJ-70 though.

SteveG1988

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 02, 2013, 12:50:16 PM
Has NJ used the centerline rumble strip which other states (such as Pennsy) love to use?  If not, they will.  The following is on the NJDOT website to go out to bid in December:

Rt 70, Center Line Rumble Strip Installation

This is a two lane road with a high incidence of centerline crossover head-on crashes as evidenced by three individual segments having been identified as high frequency crash clusters on our Cross Centerline Head-on Crash list. This roadway needs to be addressed with safety measures to reduce the frequency of these types of severe crashes for which the installation of centerline rumble strips is considered a proven, low-cost countermeasure. Various locations.

Proposed Advertised Month December, 2013

Project Details

Burlington, Ocean Counties/Evesham Twp, Medford Twp, Southampton Twp, Woodland Twp, Pemberton Twp, Manchester Twp, Lakehurst Boro, Toms River Twp, Brick Twp

MP: 9.95- 18.43, 18.64 - 26.30, 26.50-43.43, 43.65-44.28, 44.84- 49.40, 54.02- 54.17
(Head-on crashes) 10.10-11.56, 21.00-23.50, 39.93-40.50

Estimate Range  $1 - $1,000,000

I think that is the section that would most benefit from it anyway, since it is in the middle of nowhere, and a fairly straight route so you get hypnotized by it particularlly at night
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

Alps

Quote from: NJRoadfan on December 02, 2013, 04:08:11 PM
I haven't seen it used here before. Not surprised it being deployed on NJ-70 though.
If it's not on NJ 70 yet, it's not anywhere. I do think I've come across it on some county roads, though.

roadman65

Does anyone know what is up on US 22 in Bridgewater/ Somerville at both the Adamsville Road and North Gaston Avenue Intersections, that both had J Turns for years, prohibiting left turns, but allowing U turns?

I noticed that Adamsville Road at its turn ramp has signs directing you  to North Gaston Avenue and turnabout to US 22 EB back to the intersection.  North Gaston Avenue has you continue on to the North Bridge Street exit and turnabout through the interchange and return back.  Both ramps do allow U turns and white on black signs say that it is allowed ONLY!

I can imagine that it has to do with accidents occurring, but if that is the case I would think that u turns would be prohibited more than the left turn.  At least with a left turn a motorist travels across the busy roadway in a straight line allowing him to "gun it" and be out of 55 or greater moving traffic where a u turn requires maneuvering a vehicle to turn and causing it start out again thus slowing down the traffic.  Me personally have had more troubles with u turning vehicles than left and cross traffic because you have to many times "slow down" while these vehicles take their time accelerating to speed.

I do not see the logic in this measure, but then again I do not live in NJ anymore either.  Does anyone know what NJDOT's reasoning is behind the move?

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Somerville,+NJ&hl=en&ll=40.577733,-74.583837&spn=0.000674,0.00181&sll=27.698638,-83.804601&sspn=6.43622,14.831543&oq=somerville,&t=h&hnear=Somerville,+Somerset,+New+Jersey&z=19
Here is the US 22 EB/Adamsville Road Intersection that is now a RIRO.  You can see that U turns are still allowed without even a merging area.  That would be more a danger issue, like I stated, than crossing the highway itself.

Signage on US 22 WB at the former J turn ramp.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

NJRoadfan

Easy, they don't want the traffic cutting across. Its dangerous, particularly at night when you might not see a car cutting across the roadway. Traffic speeds are much higher than the posted 55mph, gunning it across 2-3 lanes isn't easy to do with moderate traffic. I have seen it done illegally in Union on 22 to/from the center island, quite a few close calls there.

Zeffy

Quote from: NJRoadfan on December 03, 2013, 03:39:48 PM
Easy, they don't want the traffic cutting across. Its dangerous, particularly at night when you might not see a car cutting across the roadway. Traffic speeds are much higher than the posted 55mph, gunning it across 2-3 lanes isn't easy to do with moderate traffic.

West of Bridgewater on US 22 there are almost always police cars sitting in the median. That's the only area of 22 where people obey the speed limit. But if you ask me, the speed limit should be 60, not 55, especially because US 22 eventually forms a concurrency with I-78 (where the traffic goes well beyond 65 anyway). The road doesn't go into any residential neighborhoods, so I don't see why it can't be 60...
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

roadman65

Quote from: Zeffy on December 03, 2013, 04:50:43 PM
Easy, they don't want the traffic cutting across. Its dangerous, particularly at night when you might not see a car cutting across the roadway. Traffic speeds are much higher than the posted 55mph, gunning it across 2-3 lanes isn't easy to do with moderate traffic.

West of Bridgewater on US 22 there are almost always police cars sitting in the median. That's the only area of 22 where people obey the speed limit. But if you ask me, the speed limit should be 60, not 55, especially because US 22 eventually forms a concurrency with I-78 (where the traffic goes well beyond 65 anyway). The road doesn't go into any residential neighborhoods, so I don't see why it can't be 60...
Remember you are talking about a state that does not let you pump gas yourself!  48 other states have been letting you do that for well over 30 years and STILL the Garden State will not follow suit.  Heck they were one of the last states that let freeways have a higher than 55 mph limits when congress first raised the national limit to 65.  In fact it was after Clinton signed the bill allowing states to have complete control over maximum speeds that NJ finally budged on that one.  Then to get 55 on two lane roads took forever and even so it is rare to see two lane roads with a limit higher than 50 even in rural South Jersey.

Good luck in getting them to do 60 on an off freeway roadway!

Sheryl Crowe

mc78andrew

Quote from: roadman65 on December 03, 2013, 05:07:54 PM
Quote from: Zeffy on December 03, 2013, 04:50:43 PM

Remember you are talking about a state that does not let you pump gas yourself!  48 other states have been letting you do that for well over 30 years and STILL the Garden State will not follow suit.  Heck they were one of the last states that let freeways have a higher than 55 mph limits when congress first raised the national limit to 65.  In fact it was after Clinton signed the bill allowing states to have complete control over maximum speeds that NJ finally budged on that one.  Then to get 55 on two lane roads took forever and even so it is rare to see two lane roads with a limit higher than 50 even in rural South Jersey.

Good luck in getting them to do 60 on an off freeway roadway!

All I know is that when it was 28 degrees on thanksgiving I did not have to get out of my car and pump my gas...and it was 75 cents cheaper than where I live in NY.  They must be doing something right. 

jeffandnicole

Then to get 55 on two lane roads took forever and even so it is rare to see two lane roads with a limit higher than 50 even in rural South Jersey.
They've always permitted 55 on 2 lane roads.  For as long as I remember, the limit was 55 mph on Rt. 72, Rt. 539 and on the county road going from the GSP to Sea Isle City.  Several years ago, the speed limit was raised from 50 to 55 on Rt. 70 east of Medford as well.

Having said that, I wish more roads were signed 55 (or greater).

Many people confuse the 50 mph rural speed limit law as the maximum.  50 mph is the statutory limit applied to roads not signed with speed limit signs.  It never had anything to do with a maximum permitted speed limit. 

Technically, when 55 was the maximum limit state-wide, there was never anything written in the law books stating that.  I always wondered why we needed a law permitting 65 mph, because, again, there was no law saying 55 mph was the top speed.

As far as not raising the limit to 65 during the 65/55 NMSL, for a state like NJ it was kinda pointless.  The rules at the time limited where 65 mph could be posted.  The NJ Turnpike between Interchanges 2 & 4 for example - a very rural area of the state - would have had to remain at 55 mph because of it's distance to Philadelphia. It was frustrating that the governors at the time wouldn't permit the speed limit to be raised, but if they had, very few areas would have been permitted to be posted at 65 mph.

jeffandnicole

I always enjoy reading the NJ Turnpike meeting minutes - especially the public comment sections.

2 interesting comments at their last meeting: http://www.state.nj.us/turnpike/documents/2013-11-19_Minutes-410-440.pdf

Page 4 of the PDF (Page 3 of the minutes): Barton Lee mentioned that the Turnpike should consider using the clear view (sic) font for its static signs.  I looked and didn't see Barton as a member of this forum.  I'm going to go out on a limb and say that there are very few members of the public that are even aware of the clearview font...and I'm sure many of the members of the board (along with the board secretary) are unfamiliar with the font as well!

Page 5 of the PDF (page 4 of the minutes): Tom Fuscaldo believes that all EZ Pass violations should be delivered by hand in person by a human being.  Why?  He doesn't like technology.

NJRoadfan

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 06, 2013, 03:39:22 PM
Page 5 of the PDF (page 4 of the minutes): Tom Fuscaldo believes that all EZ Pass violations should be delivered by hand in person by a human being.  Why?  He doesn't like technology.

Or he just wants to avoid paying the fines. If they are required to be delivered by hand, the law doesn't consider them "served" until the person in question actually receives the violation and signs for it. Arizona had a similar situation with their speed cameras.

Barton Lee is a roadgeek. That is very apparent in his "demands". Hopefully they issue a formal response like they promised in the notes.

Alps

Tom "One Eye On Paterson" Fuscaldo (can't make this up):

roadman65

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 04, 2013, 08:42:51 AM
Then to get 55 on two lane roads took forever and even so it is rare to see two lane roads with a limit higher than 50 even in rural South Jersey.
They've always permitted 55 on 2 lane roads.  For as long as I remember, the limit was 55 mph on Rt. 72, Rt. 539 and on the county road going from the GSP to Sea Isle City.  Several years ago, the speed limit was raised from 50 to 55 on Rt. 70 east of Medford as well.

Having said that, I wish more roads were signed 55 (or greater).

Many people confuse the 50 mph rural speed limit law as the maximum.  50 mph is the statutory limit applied to roads not signed with speed limit signs.  It never had anything to do with a maximum permitted speed limit. 

Technically, when 55 was the maximum limit state-wide, there was never anything written in the law books stating that.  I always wondered why we needed a law permitting 65 mph, because, again, there was no law saying 55 mph was the top speed.

As far as not raising the limit to 65 during the 65/55 NMSL, for a state like NJ it was kinda pointless.  The rules at the time limited where 65 mph could be posted.  The NJ Turnpike between Interchanges 2 & 4 for example - a very rural area of the state - would have had to remain at 55 mph because of it's distance to Philadelphia. It was frustrating that the governors at the time wouldn't permit the speed limit to be raised, but if they had, very few areas would have been permitted to be posted at 65 mph.
You have not been around as long as I have.  True NJ's default speed limit on rural roads is 50 and 25 on urban roads unless posted otherwise, but it did have all two lane roads when I was living there as 50!  I even argued with NDOT in snail mail letters back in the 90's about it and they responded back saying that NJ only has few two lane roads that are candidates for 55 mph so NJDOT did not push Trenton to change the law.  Also the 65 thing was all over the Northeast at the time.  I do remember either Tom Keane or Jim Florio stating that it would something like a cold day in you know where before I raise the NJ interstate speed limits greater than 55.

I lived in New Jersey in the 80s so that was time the 65 interstate maximum took effect.  In fact when I visited CA in 88 and saw the 65 mph signs on I-15, I though someone was playing a joke, as no where in Jersey, PA, or NY was there ever such a thing at the time.

Sheryl Crowe

civilmaher

I always enjoy reading the NJ Turnpike meeting minutes - especially the public comment sections.

2 interesting comments at their last meeting: http://www.state.nj.us/turnpike/documents/2013-11-19_Minutes-410-440.pdf

Page 4 of the PDF (Page 3 of the minutes): Barton Lee mentioned that the Turnpike should consider using the clear view (sic) font for its static signs.  I looked and didn't see Barton as a member of this forum.  I'm going to go out on a limb and say that there are very few members of the public that are even aware of the clearview font...and I'm sure many of the members of the board (along with the board secretary) are unfamiliar with the font as well!

Trust me. You get to see some real "characters" when you go to one of the Turnpike Authority's monthly meetings. One dude brought a set of golf clubs into the meeting with him just so he could make a golfing-related metaphor. The NJ State Police kept a close eye on the guy as he delivered his speech with golf club in hand.
Opinions represent mine and no other organization that I am associated with.

Alps

Lou Corsaro pointed me to Monmouth County's Road Plan. I of course jumped right to "potential county roads." Here's what they are considering:
* CR 13 "35 Overpass" - I guess they want to take Shrewsbury Ave. over 35, instead of the existing jughandle/signal, and tie it to the south. It says to "537 Extension" - I'm thinking this means that Shrewsbury becomes the fourth leg at the northern 35/537 junction, since the southern junction has 71 on it as well. Since 537 isn't listed, I'm assuming it's not an extension to tie 537 in and eliminate the concurrency. 13/35 is one of the busier intersections, so this will be an improvement, and the county funding it takes pressure off the NJDOT's limited funds.
* CR 11 "realignment" - Looks like they're taking the back parking lots of Monmouth Race Track and turning it into an Oceanport Ave. connector, eliminating the jog along Port-Au-Peck. This is a cheap job but I don't see a need for it.
* CR 55 "realignment" - CR 55 is a mostly four-lane eastern Freehold bypass, but necks down to 2 lanes south of NJ 33. That's more than .47 miles. I think this takes Edinburgh Drive and extends it northward as CR 55, around the east side of the Burkes Creek ponds. It's a start, but 55 should be four lanes and straight from 33 back down to 9. I think Edinburgh is part of those plans, leaving a chunk in the middle that remains unaddressed.
* CR 524 "realignment" - The only possibility I see for that is to head straight into Montgomery Drive. A solution in search of a problem.
* CR 526 Spur "Alanland Bypass" - The existing short road is a terrible misnomer, only leading from 526 (east) to 524/539 (northeast). Any sort of through traffic has to go and not go straight through Alanland. The limits of the proposed project, from 539 (southeast) to Mercer County line (anyone's guess), still don't yield an actual bypass for 526, but this is a "SPUR" route, so it's not expected to return to the parent. It seems that this extension will actually yield something useful, taking traffic from 539 (a major road) around toward Trenton. I can't tell whether this is only building the west half of the bypass (with Mercer cooperation), or everything from county line to county line. I've never seen plans for a continuation/completion of 526 Spur. For all I know, this can become the first circular route in the state.

NE2

Quote from: Steve on December 17, 2013, 07:14:48 PM
* CR 55 "realignment" - CR 55 is a mostly four-lane eastern Freehold bypass, but necks down to 2 lanes south of NJ 33. That's more than .47 miles. I think this takes Edinburgh Drive and extends it northward as CR 55, around the east side of the Burkes Creek ponds. It's a start, but 55 should be four lanes and straight from 33 back down to 9. I think Edinburgh is part of those plans, leaving a chunk in the middle that remains unaddressed.
Look to the left at municipal roads. Cypress Point is what the Goog calls Edinburgh, and apparently current county maintenance ends north of 33 at Willow Brook.

* CR 526 Spur "Alanland Bypass" - The existing short road is a terrible misnomer, only leading from 526 (east) to 524/539 (northeast). Any sort of through traffic has to go and not go straight through Alanland.
Currently I-195 can be used to return to CR 526. I don't know if it's actually faster except when the goats are out.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Alps

Quote from: NE2 on December 17, 2013, 07:58:14 PM
Look to the left at municipal roads. Cypress Point is what the Goog calls Edinburgh, and apparently current county maintenance ends north of 33 at Willow Brook.

Not understanding your first comment. As for the second, I guess the interchange is NJDOT maintenance? So then the question is what happens to the south, but it's still more than .47mi regardless.

NE2

Look to the left of 'sample future construction'. There's another table of 'municipal roads'. The two entries for CR 55 fill in the missing distance.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.