Regional Boards > Mid-Atlantic

I-73 in VA

(1/175) > >>

74/171FAN:
http://www.martinsvillebulletin.com/article.cfm?ID=19173  Update on I-73 in the Martinsville area including a possible route realignment to connect to an industrial park but VDOT's funding problems won't allow this to be built any time soon.  I've never driven US 220 through there so I'm wondering if an interstate is even needed there.

njroadhorse:

--- Quote from: 74/171FAN --- I've never driven US 220 through there so I'm wondering if an interstate is even needed there.
--- End quote ---

I would think that it would have some merit to it as an alternate to I-77 in trying to reach I-81.  I would also think it would bring economic benfits to the Martinsville area because it is now connected to an Interstate, as well as Roanoke, where it is now the crossroads of two major 2-dis.

mightyace:

--- Quote from: 74/171FAN on June 04, 2009, 07:50:37 PM ---I've never driven US 220 through there so I'm wondering if an interstate is even needed there.

--- End quote ---

I know it would help twice a year when NASCAR comes to town.  But, I don't think even a racefan like myself could justify building it for crowds of 60-80,000 twice a year.

donutbandit:
US 220 from Martinsville to the NC line is an excellent 4 lane highway. It's the part between Martinsville and Roanoke that needs the upgrade. It supports a ton of truck traffic, and is one of those old Virginia 2 + 2 = 4 deals, with the ancient 2 lane alignment serving as the southbound lanes.

leifvanderwall:
I think I-73 is better served on the US 23 corridor and besides I think we have enough interstates gobbling up US 220 as it is. Is there a conspiracy to get rid of US 220?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version