News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

New Jersey Turnpike

Started by hotdogPi, December 22, 2013, 09:04:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

Quote from: kernals12 on September 23, 2021, 09:59:46 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 23, 2021, 09:45:25 PM
Quote from: kernals12 on September 23, 2021, 08:46:00 PM
How feasible would it be to introduce variable pricing across the turnpike?

The have a very basic form of variable pricing.  EZ Pass off-peak for EZ Pass NJ account holders save roughly 20% or so.  Peak hours are 7-9am, 4-6pm and weekends.

The concept of more variable pricing was discussed in the past, but I think the Turnpike didn't want to push too much on the idea.

It would give accurate pricing signals that would guide expansion projects.
I don't know what you're talking about. They know the volumes. They know where things are congested.

J Route Z

Looking through the NJTA website, I noticed the exit 4-1 widening project is published in the capitol projects list:

https://www.njta.com/our-projects/new-jersey-turnpike

I wonder why they are waiting until 2025 to start construction.

famartin

Quote from: J Route Z on September 30, 2021, 11:56:00 PM
Looking through the NJTA website, I noticed the exit 4-1 widening project is published in the capitol projects list:

A little surprised that this is the first I'm hearing about a replacement of the Newark Bay Bridge, but I guess its still at least 5 years before they start that work, so maybe not.

Alps

Projects need to be designed...

storm2k

Quote from: famartin on October 01, 2021, 12:05:19 AM

A little surprised that this is the first I'm hearing about a replacement of the Newark Bay Bridge, but I guess its still at least 5 years before they start that work, so maybe not.

It's been in their long term plans for a while. They want to make the NBHCE 3 lanes each direction between the mainline and 14C, plus add an aux lane eastbound to allow traffic exiting at 14A to have a place to queue up without spilling onto the main road. The bridge will need to be replaced to make that a reality.

famartin

Quote from: storm2k on October 01, 2021, 01:19:26 AM

It's been in their long term plans for a while. They want to make the NBHCE 3 lanes each direction between the mainline and 14C, plus add an aux lane eastbound to allow traffic exiting at 14A to have a place to queue up without spilling onto the main road. The bridge will need to be replaced to make that a reality.

Well, naturally. Though they could twin it if they thought it was more cost effective. I'm guessing not.

storm2k

Quote from: famartin on October 01, 2021, 02:26:33 AM

Well, naturally. Though they could twin it if they thought it was more cost effective. I'm guessing not.

I imagine that they decided that the cost to build a second bridge and then rehab the original was higher than just building a new bridge that handles both directions of traffic.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: storm2k on October 01, 2021, 11:24:46 AM

I imagine that they decided that the cost to build a second bridge and then rehab the original was higher than just building a new bridge that handles both directions of traffic.

Then again, recent past experience of rehabbing bridges in the region haven't worked out as cost-effectively as first thought.

Alps

Quote from: storm2k on October 01, 2021, 11:24:46 AM

Or building 1 new and then replacing existing. I don't know if they've decided on the final structural design.

roadman65

https://goo.gl/maps/xXA3nAaYpP8AnG2L9
I see New York is used here on I-78 west for I-95 and The Turnpike Mainline. Considering you just left New York it seems odd to use it coming from this direction.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

famartin

Quote from: roadman65 on October 04, 2021, 10:11:55 AM
I see New York is used here on I-78 west FDOT I-95 and The Turnpike Mainline. Considering you just left New York it seems odd to use it coming from this direction.
It's also in contradiction to what is used on the mainline in this area, which is either GWB or nothing.

roadman65

Quote from: famartin on October 04, 2021, 10:13:55 AM
I see New York is used here on I-78 west FDOT I-95 and The Turnpike Mainline. Considering you just left New York it seems odd to use it coming from this direction.
It's also in contradiction to what is used on the mainline in this area, which is either GWB or nothing.

Exactly.

Sheryl Crowe

jeffandnicole

I see New York is used here on I-78 west for I-95 and The Turnpike Mainline. Considering you just left New York it seems odd to use it coming from this direction.

Not guaranteed.  There are several ramps - and intersections - one could have entered I-78 before this point without having been in NYC.

SignBridge

What would you guys have them sign the NJT northbound at this location? Maybe Teaneck or Fort Lee?

NoGoodNamesAvailable

Quote from: SignBridge on October 04, 2021, 08:31:10 PM
What would you guys have them sign the NJT northbound at this location? Maybe Teaneck or Fort Lee?

Paterson

SignBridge

The Turnpike doesn't go to Paterson.

Pete from Boston

New York is fine. Everybody knows that it's an indicator of direction of the road that is easily recognizable. Don't overthink it.

Rothman

Egads, are we really discussing control cities again in this thread?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

famartin

Quote from: SignBridge on October 04, 2021, 08:31:10 PM
Fort Lee is used at 19W

roadman65

New York is fine but odd at this location is what I was implying. Not to debate control cities, though I can imagine it's awkward to find the ideal city north of that intersection. Eastbound it's blank to avoid confusion with I-78 going to New York, but a suggestion EB would be to use Midtown and sign Downtown for the Newark Bay Extension.

The MUTCD screwed up everything saying it's a mortal sin to use bridges and tunnels on guide Ignacio as control points.

Sheryl Crowe

SignBridge

On a different subject, does anyone know the current status of the Thomas Edison Service Area? (In Woodbridge, southbound at MP 92.9) Looking at the NJTA website, the list of service areas indicates that it's open, but the map doesn't even show a service area at that location, except for the one on the northbound side. Anyone know which is correct? I'm surprised at such an inconsistency on the Turnpike Authority's website.

ran4sh

Quote from: roadman65 on October 05, 2021, 02:41:33 PM

The MUTCD screwed up everything saying it's a mortal sin to use bridges and tunnels on guide Ignacio as control points.

You're not the only person who believes this, but I wonder why this belief is so widespread. The MUTCD does not say that bridges and tunnels should/must not be used on guide signs.
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 30, 2021, 01:13:36 AM
Quote from: Ketchup99 on May 30, 2021, 01:10:09 AM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 29, 2021, 11:02:19 PM
Quote from: famartin on May 28, 2021, 07:12:09 AM
One other thing to consider is that generally, you only see evidence of the suburbs where they were built before or shortly after the Turnpike was. Newer suburbs deliberately are built out of view for the most part,  since most people don't like to live near a superhighway.
I'd like to live next to a superhighway.
My friend, the housing market will be very kind to you.
TBH background noise doesn't really bother me.
same thing with me and train tracks. i've slept through all sorts of railroad noises when i was sleeping in my car in wyoming... didn't faze me in the least.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

thenetwork

Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on October 11, 2021, 10:44:15 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 30, 2021, 01:13:36 AM
Quote from: Ketchup99 on May 30, 2021, 01:10:09 AM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 29, 2021, 11:02:19 PM
Quote from: famartin on May 28, 2021, 07:12:09 AM
One other thing to consider is that generally, you only see evidence of the suburbs where they were built before or shortly after the Turnpike was. Newer suburbs deliberately are built out of view for the most part,  since most people don't like to live near a superhighway.
I'd like to live next to a superhighway.
My friend, the housing market will be very kind to you.
TBH background noise doesn't really bother me.
same thing with me and train tracks. i've slept through all sorts of railroad noises when i was sleeping in my car in wyoming... didn't faze me in the least.

I am in the flight path of our local airport and about ½ mile from a fairly busy cross state railroad.  Like you, I can sleep through the noise, but dreams about watching trains go by happens more times than not most nights.

mrsman

Quote from: roadman65 on October 05, 2021, 02:41:33 PM
New York is fine but odd at this location is what I was implying. Not to debate control cities, though I can imagine it's awkward to find the ideal city north of that intersection. Eastbound it's blank to avoid confusion with I-78 going to New York, but a suggestion EB would be to use Midtown and sign Downtown for the Newark Bay Extension.

Such is true, in the NYC area, the bridges make real sense as controls becasue they are landmarks in their own right and mark the points of division between different jurisdictions.  It is a city of islands and the bridges/tunnels are key connections.

That being said, from NJ, there are good substitutes for the bridges that can be used.

Staten Island in place of Outerbridge crossing, Goethals Bridge, or Bayonne Bridge
Lower Manhattan in place of Holland Tunnel
Midtown Manhattan in place of Lincoln Tunnel
Upper Manhattan in place of GWB

"New York" is not a good control to be used from exit 14 northward, from any vantage point.  Arguably, heading east on I-78 or staying north on I-95 can both get you to New York.  Using Lower Manhattan for i-78 east and Upper Manhttan for I-95 north helps to distinguish between the two locations.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.