News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Google Maps just fucking SUCKS now

Started by agentsteel53, February 26, 2014, 03:26:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anyone else having an insane amount of trouble with the new Google Maps?

instant browser crash
10 (3.5%)
loads fine, then crashes the browser when attempting to do anything at all
23 (8%)
not quite terrible, but still worse
127 (44.4%)
I am indifferent
63 (22%)
I actually like the new Google Maps
63 (22%)

Total Members Voted: 286

SkyPesos

Quote from: SkyPesos on September 11, 2021, 08:51:28 PM
There's a set of exit ramps on I-71 near Kings Island (pretty much everything except the NB exit and SB entrance) opened in 2018 that still doesn't have street view imagery.

In other parts of Cincinnati, the reconstructed I-75 between exits 13 and 14 got new imagery from right after when the project was finished in late 2020

Just a bit north of this interchange, an August 2021 imagery of the reconfigured OH 741 and Kings Mill Rd intersection. Nice seeing this one on GSV, as I haven't seen this project in person despite living so close to there (before college started of course).

Unrelated note, sort of disappointed that a doghouse was chosen over an FYA, but that's Ohio's roads for ya  :-D

Great Lakes Roads

I also found some recent streetview from July 2021 in Grand Rapids.

CNGL-Leudimin

Spain has plenty of 2021 imagery now as well.

In addition it appears the largest gap in Europe (otherwise known as Germany) is closing soon...
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

jakeroot

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on September 12, 2021, 06:19:29 PM
In addition it appears the largest gap in Europe (otherwise known as Germany) is closing soon...

What makes you say that? Every time I hear that Germany is getting new imagery, it never comes to fruition.

CNGL-Leudimin

The appearance of (old) official imagery along some Autobahnen, e.g. A3 between the Ruhr area and Frankfurt. I cannot recall it being available earlier.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

jakeroot

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on September 13, 2021, 06:53:26 AM
The appearance of (old) official imagery along some Autobahnen, e.g. A3 between the Ruhr area and Frankfurt. I cannot recall it being available earlier.

Ehhh, that strikes me as a bit too anecdotal. Plus, nothing legal in Germany has changed that would benefit Google in terms of taking new imagery. Germans didn't like it then and it seems to me that they don't like it now, and I'm sure they would challenge the return of imagery (or the addition of new imagery, new or old) almost immediately.

vdeane

They are driving in Germany, though I could have sworn I've seen that in past years and it's never resulted in imagery appearing.  That said, it does somehow feel like finding autobahn sections with coverage is easier than it used to be.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

jakeroot

Quote from: vdeane on September 14, 2021, 09:26:10 PM
They are driving in Germany, though I could have sworn I've seen that in past years and it's never resulted in imagery appearing.  That said, it does somehow feel like finding autobahn sections with coverage is easier than it used to be.

Indeed, I have seen Germany appear in that list, but it never shows up. I think it may be them gathering data (in the same manner as Street View is used elsewhere), just without the public side of the imagery.

edit: confusing grammar.

CNGL-Leudimin

Before someone says the new Autobahn coverage has disappeared, so has done the newer sections of A-21 in Spain. The imagery is actually still there (just checked A-21), and the blue lines are expected to return in a few days. The same happened with Slovenia when that country was released years ago, so it's nothing new.

SkyPesos

This has been really annoying me on GSV recently; the restaurant and attractions popups. I just want to look at a road, and even clicking on a part a good distance away from the label, it still pops up the restaurant, which I have no interest in. Clicking in the green circle still triggers the restaurant popup.

LilianaUwU

QC-132 between QC-287 and Route de Kamouraska still has no Street View as of the latest round of imagery (last month!!) This baffles me.

"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

Plutonic Panda

I just updated to iOS 15 and wow the new Apple Maps is amazing as far as detail from non satellite imagery goes in the city. Only is it's limited to LA and NYC but I'm sure it'll be expand. It only Apple would out do Google on imagery updates and implement street view. They have the money.

Plutonic Panda

It's annoying that central Oklahoma City aerial imagery has not been updated since 2017.

SkyPesos

Now let's see which mapping program will have the new I-49 Bella Vista Bypass shown first. So far, Google, Apple and Bing are all losing.

LilianaUwU

So, Google listened to my request of covering something that wasn't covered... but they covered the wrong branch of the intersection. Ugh.

"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

Scott5114

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on October 03, 2021, 09:31:31 PM
It's annoying that central Oklahoma City aerial imagery has not been updated since 2017.

I've mentioned that elsewhere on the forum in the past. It's especially awful since there has been so much development in that area, much of which is geared toward out-of-towners, like the convention center.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 03, 2021, 11:17:12 PM
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on October 03, 2021, 09:31:31 PM

I've mentioned that elsewhere on the forum in the past. It's especially awful since there has been so much development in that area, much of which is geared toward out-of-towners, like the convention center.
And what's weird is that before the latest update Google was actually pretty good about regularly updating the aerial imagery in OKC. I had noticed they were updating it at least once a year for a cool minute while other cities would go 2 to 3 years without it being updated. Of course this was all before 2017 and it hasn't been updated since. Of course you can go to the county assessor from Oklahoma City and see the imagery there.

I'm not an accountant so it would need to be simplify but I would really like to know the cost of keeping imagery updated around the world as I imagine it's not cheap. But Google conform partnerships with agencies like Oklahoma county where they have imagery as recent as last month available.

vdeane

Looks like Google is no longer showing county-level data on their COVID-19 layer.  This significantly reduces the functionality of that layer, even from a purely COVID perspective.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

LM117

Quote from: vdeane on October 10, 2021, 07:55:53 PM
Looks like Google is no longer showing county-level data on their COVID-19 layer.  This significantly reduces the functionality of that layer, even from a purely COVID perspective.

Best thing I like about that layer is that it shows county lines.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

Scott5114

I wish I could be as maniacally devoted to anything as much as Google is to their incomprehensible insistence in not showing counties on their map.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: vdeane on October 10, 2021, 07:55:53 PM

Maybe it's a glitch. I can still see them.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

vdeane

It just reappeared for me.  Let's hope it stays that way.  Not having a way to view county lines without searching on Google is an annoyance, but my larger complaint was over not being able to view county-level COVID case data.  That "X cases per 100k people" number is only available on Google and the NY Times... and I don't have a subscription to the NY Times, so accessing it there is really annoying (especially as the map requires JavaScript enabled, and I have Chrome set to block JavaScript on the NY Times, and there's no "enable just this one time" button).

hotdogPi

Private browsing in Safari works for me. (No need to disable anything.)
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Rover_0

I don't know how many years later, and I still can't quite forgive Google Maps for removing the "snap to road"  feature when drawing a line along a road. Is there an option like this in Google Earth or another map program?

Also, is there any way you can put a label/road name onto a line on Google Maps or Google Earth?

(Sorry for the questions–I thought they were close enough to warrant asking here.)

Fixing erroneous shields, one at a time...

TheGrassGuy

TFW your neighborhood gets privated and you can't see your house anymore on Google Street View :(
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.