News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Old Traffic Signals

Started by Alex, June 21, 2009, 09:53:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakeroot

Quote from: kphoger on December 08, 2022, 08:09:31 PM
I've always thought of it like this:  imagine that the signal were mounted vertically on a vertical pole.  Now bend the pole 90°.  (Obviously, this only works for signals on the "normal" side of the road.)

That makes sense to me too. As long as you mean 90 degrees towards the road. For either driving side, mounted from the driving side, this would always result in the red being closest to the center of the road (on right with LHT, on left with RHT).

jakeroot

Quote from: US 89 on December 08, 2022, 08:44:41 PM
The USVI is also full of American cars with the steering wheel on the left, and presumably a handful of American drivers who have seen horizontal signals in the states? Or could be that they just used an American contractor who used the same specs they last used on a project in Texas or something.

Totally, there are numerous explanations for why it would be mounted like the rest of the US. Unfortunately I cannot find any other countries that drive on the left that use horizontal traffic lights, this was literally the only example I could find.

Welp, scratch that. I did some research on Thailand. Their horizontal signals are mounted the same as Japan:

(image from criticalmas.org)

https://youtu.be/GPN6TfveX94

jeffandnicole

The USVI is also full of American cars with the steering wheel on the left, and presumably a handful of American drivers who have seen horizontal signals in the states? Or could be that they just used an American contractor who used the same specs they last used on a project in Texas or something.

While I'm sure it can vary, most contractors bid on and perform contracts based on what they were informed of what to do via hundreds of pages of plans.  They're not given a blank slate and told to do their best.

Big John

Quote from: jakeroot on December 08, 2022, 08:04:18 PM
Still, being curious, I've looked around at other parts of the world that drive on the left to see if any even use horizontal traffic signals.

Overall, they are very rare. Japan probably has 99.9% of them. But I did find one in USVI, and it displays the green and red opposite what I see in Japan:

(image from https://resilientvi.org/)

Or looked up MUTCD?

MisterRoadgeek

Does anyone has any photos or video of this Crouse Hinds signal?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.