News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Old Traffic Signals

Started by Alex, June 21, 2009, 09:53:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickmastfan67

Quote from: PAHighways on March 17, 2011, 10:05:25 PM
As of tonight, this installation's and this installation's days are numbered.

I think they might already be gone.  They already had new lights up for each intersection along US-19 there, but just covered over when I was last there.

Mr_Northside

While those are related to the project in Wexford... a couple of months ago a bunch of signals were also replaced on US 19 in West View & Ross as well.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Mr_Northside on March 18, 2011, 02:38:57 PM
While those are related to the project in Wexford... a couple of months ago a bunch of signals were also replaced on US 19 in West View & Ross as well.

Yep.  I witnessed them replacing the lights @ McKnight Rd and McIntyre Rd one night.  They had the intersection blocked off to do it prohibiting the left turn onto McIntyre....

The main thing that irked me about the new lights being installed was they went back to the old incandescent lights from LED's that they had retro-fitted for the old lights along the entire length of McKnight.  Talk about a step back in the wrong direction. :ded:

Ian

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on March 18, 2011, 08:29:10 PM
The main thing that irked me about the new lights being installed was they went back to the old incandescent lights from LED's that they had retro-fitted for the old lights along the entire length of McKnight.  Talk about a step back in the wrong direction. :ded:

Being a signal fan and loving the incandescent lens signals, I don't see a problem with this  :biggrin:
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

PAHighways

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on March 18, 2011, 12:07:33 AM
Quote from: PAHighways on March 17, 2011, 10:05:25 PM
As of tonight, this installation's and this installation's days are numbered.

I think they might already be gone.  They already had new lights up for each intersection along US-19 there, but just covered over when I was last there.

I was up there today, and unfortunately while the first set is gone the second remains as the construction zone is just to the south of them.

PAHighways

According to today's Tribune-Review, the old school signals at US 30 and Agnew Road, Pennsylvania Boulevard, Beaver Road/Lewis Avenue, and Lowry Avenue in Jeannette won't be around in a few years.

andrewkbrown

Quote from: PennDOTFan on October 02, 2010, 08:57:02 PM
Also, for the DC guys on here, were the signals around the district originally yellow? I recall seeing a few older signals fading to yellow (for example, the pedestrian signal in the 2nd photo) and was wondering. Plus looking closely at the older signals, I saw paint that doesn't look original.

Recalling this old question, I believe that yes, some signals must have once been yellow, as this one shows.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Washington+D.C.,+DC&aq=0&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=30.185946,86.220703&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Washington+D.C.,+District+of+Columbia&ll=38.896118,-77.011435&spn=0,0.014613&t=h&z=17&layer=c&cbll=38.896122,-77.011547&panoid=AuxFf1J93bhKwZWKQHcmdQ&cbp=12,335.4,,0,-3.89

It's located diagonally across from my firehouse near the Capitol.
Firefighter/Paramedic
Washington DC Fire & EMS

OracleUsr

I was curious about something.

In High Point, NC, where my aunt used to live, there was a standard practice of 8" signals (or "eagle-type" ones) with elongated lens hoods over the yellow lens.  The non-elongated hoods were not usually cut diagonally (though I do remember seeing a 4-lamp left turn signal that had all four lenses cut diagonally on the outskirts of High Point).

Just perchance, does anyone have pics of these, or know if there are any left?  I've never seen this type except in High Point.
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

rickmastfan67

Here's two old traffic lights that I photographed back on Sunday.

nyratk1

Quote from: PennDOTFan on March 18, 2011, 09:02:03 PM
Quote from: rickmastfan67 on March 18, 2011, 08:29:10 PM

Being a signal fan and loving the incandescent lens signals, I don't see a problem with this  :biggrin:

I'm more of a incandescent look LED kinda guy. Best of both worlds. :happy:

US71

4-Way Flasher in Biloxi, MS

Old 4-Way in Winnfield, LA retrofitted with LED's

(there are actually 3 old signals near the old town square)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

busman_49

Quote from: jjakucyk on March 03, 2010, 07:14:38 PM
Yay wig-wags!!!  :)

We have a few of those overhead crossing signals here too, though long out of service, near Xavier University in Norwood.  The first picture is on Dana Avenue, at Idlewild Junction where the the Cincinnati, Lebanon & Northern (part of the Pennsy system) crossed a junction of the Norfolk & Western's Cincinnati Connecting Belt Railroad and their Peavine line to Portsmouth, Ohio.  The second picture is farther up the N&W connecting belt where it crosses Sherman Avenue.  Maybe they're a N&W thing?  
[images removed]

I visited this area back in March 2011 and the signal at Dana Avenue is still in place (though the neighborhood looks VERY different; a lot of the buildings in the photo are gone), but the ones on Sherman Ave are gone.

roadman65

How about NYC?  Those double guy mast arms went out with the 8 track!  Even post 9/11 the signals are being erected with the same design.  Move on with the times, get the mono tube mast arms and digital controllers.

It does have some use. Only along the Queens and Nassau Border it helps let you know where you are at.  There is a difference between making a right on red in the five boroughs then in the rest of the Empire State.  A expensive ticket in the former.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

US71

At the risk of going off-topic, there's a 4Way signal in the Thor movie ;)

Brandon

Downtown Quincy, IL, from Saturday (7/30):

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Brandon on August 01, 2011, 09:39:29 PM
Downtown Quincy, IL, from Saturday (7/30):

Those signals have an Ontario feel to them. :nod:

Dr Frankenstein

Ian

Hey now, Ontario isn't the only area of the world with 12-8-8" signals  :biggrin:
Youtube l Flickr

Brandon

Quote from: PennDOTFan on August 02, 2011, 10:15:27 PM
Hey now, Ontario isn't the only area of the world with 12-8-8" signals  :biggrin:

They used to be standard in Illinois until the late 1970s/early 1980s.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

rickmastfan67

To be honest, I only recall seeing traffic lights like this in Ontario. ;)

Ian

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on August 04, 2011, 01:30:41 AM

I understand, Ontario does love their 12-8-8" signals a lot!
Youtube l Flickr

Zmapper

Some older intersections in Fort Collins have 12-8-8 signals. Of special interest are the older doghouse signals. The left turn arrows are 12", while the circular lights are 8'. The dimensions work out and the signal looks rectangular.

6a

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on August 04, 2011, 01:30:41 AM

There are a ton to be found only three hours to your west :)

US71

Baxter Springs, KS

Main road (US 66) flashed yellow, side road flashed red. Looks like it's been out of service a while.

6a

I was out taking pictures of other things and stumbled across this.  Admittedly, it isn't a traffic signal, but I think I can squeeze it in here.

edit: this is the light it was hanging with:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.