Regional Boards > Ohio Valley

Coalfields Expressway

<< < (3/34) > >>

Beltway:

--- Quote from: hbelkins on December 27, 2018, 12:07:37 PM ---Judging from the VDOT project maps, looks like some work will have to be done to existing US 460 north of Grundy to bring it up to standards as part of Corridor Q. Of course, Virginia hasn't built its existing portions of Q to the same standards as either West Virginia or Kentucky, so I don't know what they'll do. Blast some hillside and put in two additional lanes between the end of the existing four-lane and the Coalfields intersection, I suppose.

--- End quote ---

US-460 new location 4-lane divided limited access highway between Breaks and existing US-460 at Grundy, part of which overlaps US-121.

froggie:
^^ The tie-in to the 460 Coalfields connector looks like it will be close to where the existing 4-lane undivided section on 460 ends....the vast bulk of the work to connect 460 to the Coalfields will be on new alignment.

The Ghostbuster:
I wonder if the Coalfields Expressway and/or the King Coal Highway will be completed anytime within the next 50-100 years. I suspect it might take even longer.

SP Cook:

--- Quote from: The Ghostbuster on December 27, 2018, 03:43:23 PM ---I wonder if the Coalfields Expressway and/or the King Coal Highway will be completed anytime within the next 50-100 years. I suspect it might take even longer.

--- End quote ---

Obviously I will not be around to know, but my money is on no.   Unlike important projects like Corridor H and US 35, the Tolsia Highway/King Coal Highway serves no known purpose whatsoever;  the Coalfields Expressway makes a little more sense, but the money would be better spent in encouraging those who remain in that region to do what the majority have responsibly done.  Leave.

noelbotevera:
I don't even see the point for this highway...connect I-64/I-77 to US 23, which goes...where?

Sure, it's scenic, but I don't see how building a full fledged 80 some mile expressway to nowhere is supposed to stimulate economic growth or be a better route for through traffic.

I guess if you're from Eastern Tennessee and want to get to the New River Gorge?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version