State route BGS shields that don't match standalone shields

Started by Pink Jazz, January 16, 2015, 09:31:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pink Jazz

I would like to know, which states have state route shields on BGS that are different from standalone shields ?

I know that in New Mexico, the BGS shields don't normally include the red Zia symbol.  Also, 3-digit BGS shields are normally elliptical while 3-digit standalone shields are nearly always circular.

Does anyone know of other examples?

NE2

I'll shoot anyone who mentions the background being removed on guide signs.

Texas moves the state name from the bottom to the top, and the FM/RM shield is usually completely different.

Rhode Island usually removes the R.I.

It wouldn't surprise me if Minnesota county roads are handled differently on guide signs.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

SD Mapman

Quote from: NE2 on January 16, 2015, 09:36:03 PM
It wouldn't surprise me if Minnesota county roads are handled differently on guide signs.
Having driven through there, it varies by county (and sometimes by exit).

We do nothing weird.
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

Pink Jazz

Quote from: SD Mapman on January 16, 2015, 09:39:55 PM

We do nothing weird.

I also know New Mexico used to use white rectangular shields with the abbreviation C.R. and the route number on BGS for county routes, however, newer BGS use the correct blue/gold pentagon shields.

hotdogPi

I'm not sure about Massachusetts. There are 3 "types" of state route shields, but they may or may not have any correlation with BGS/standalone:

1. Square (2-digit). Can occasionally appear on 3-digit routes.
2. Rectangular, with the most common font size used. Usually for 1xx routes.
3. Rectangular, with a thinner font used for the numerals. Used for some 2xx routes, but not all.

In addition, there are two "erroneous" state route shield types. These are almost always standalone.
4. Thick bordered shields, pretending to be in Connecticut.
5. MA 1, 3, 5, 6, 7, 20, 44, and 202. Especially 202.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13,44,50
MA 22,40,107,109,117,119,126,141,159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; UK A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; FR95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New: MA 14, 123

US71

Quote from: Pink Jazz on January 16, 2015, 09:31:21 PM
I would like to know, which states have state route shields on BGS that are different from standalone shields ?

I know that in New Mexico, the BGS shields don't normally include the red Zia symbol.  Also, 3-digit BGS shields are normally elliptical while 3-digit standalone shields are nearly always circular.

Does anyone know of other examples?

Texas. Farm Roads on the exit signs are rectangles with FM and the route number. The free standing Farm Road signs are white silhouettes on black with a black number.

HOWEVER: there are FR signs along some non-Interstates that use a while silhouette on a green sign
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

hotdogPi

In addition: Massachusetts has numbers without shields (in the form of paddle signs). This would be neither standalone nor BGS, but its own separate category. I forgot to mention this before.

I'll shoot anyone who mentions... (sentence continues)

You mentioned it yourself.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13,44,50
MA 22,40,107,109,117,119,126,141,159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; UK A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; FR95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New: MA 14, 123

vtk

Michigan

Independent mount shields are always square, and have a bold, slab-serif M in the top.

On freeway and expressway guide signs, the M is omitted, and for three digit routes the square is stretched to become a rhombus.

Ohio

Although very similar, the shape of the state route marker has minor differences between guide sign and independent mount usage (as well as between two and three digit routes–it's not just a geometric stretch). One might argue that the difference is insignificant, but there are separate specs pages for each type, so...

Nevada

BGS version has simplified state outline (compared to independent mount) which omits the state name.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

cl94

New York. You probably all know about our shields. Thankfully, the short and fat shields on signs are being replaced by standard shields as signage is replaced.

Ontario is another example, with a greatly simplified shield being displayed on signage.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

corco

Montana and Arizona both neuter their state route markers on BGSs.

Idaho BGSes are black on white instead of the usual white on black.

The High Plains Traveler

Quote from: SD Mapman on January 16, 2015, 09:39:55 PM

We do nothing weird.

Minnesota county markers on guide signs are handled uniformly. Both the blue pentagonal and white square signs omit the county name and move "COUNTY" to the top of the sign, e.g. COUNTY / 45.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

Billy F 1988

Quote from: corco on January 16, 2015, 10:40:29 PM

Not the case for the approach signage for the junction of US 93 and MT 200 at The Wye. All six approach signs on Interstate 90 don't show a neutered "200". It shows the state-named "200". It was neutered before it was changed to the state named shield. I don't think all of Montana's route markers on interstate signage are neutered.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

corco

Quote from: Billy F 1988 on January 16, 2015, 11:41:31 PM
Quote from: corco on January 16, 2015, 10:40:29 PM

Not the case for the approach signage for the junction of US 93 and MT 200 at The Wye. All six approach signs on Interstate 90 don't show a neutered "200". It shows the state-named "200". It was neutered before it was changed to the state named shield. I don't think all of Montana's route markers on interstate signage are neutered.

Well right, there's the odd exception everywhere- Idaho and Arizona have oddities too. Generally though...I've driven the entire interstate mileage in both directions in Montana, I can off the top of my head think of only two instances with non-neutered shields. One is where you described and the other is at I-15 and Montana 68 in Cascade.

bassoon1986

The old green filled in Louisiana shields on BGS of which I think there are only a few left at junctioning highways, and not on mainline interstates anymore

CtrlAltDel

Maryland omits the state name from its state route signs when they are on BGSs.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

dfwmapper

Quote from: US71 on January 16, 2015, 10:03:11 PM
Texas. Farm Roads on the exit signs are rectangles with FM and the route number. The free standing Farm Road signs are white silhouettes on black with a black number.

HOWEVER: there are FR signs along some non-Interstates that use a while silhouette on a green sign
Also, standalone signs are always square, while BGSs can be rectangles and have proportionally larger numbers. And I'm not sure if a border counts as a background, but no borders on BGSs.

Thing 342

SC uses Series on the standalone markers, but series E on the BGS markers.

odditude

I'll shoot anyone who mentions the background being removed on guide signs.
Tempting fate here, but NJ does something interesting with county routes. It's been beaten to death that NJ doesn't (usually) use cutouts for state or US routes, but they also *add* a yellow-orange background to the county route shield.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: 1 on January 16, 2015, 09:52:10 PM
I'm not sure about Massachusetts. There are 3 "types" of state route shields, but they may or may not have any correlation with BGS/standalone:

1. Square (2-digit). Can occasionally appear on 3-digit routes.
2. Rectangular, with the most common font size used. Usually for 1xx routes.
3. Rectangular, with a thinner font used for the numerals. Used for some 2xx routes, but not all.

In addition, there are two "erroneous" state route shield types. These are almost always standalone.
4. Thick bordered shields, pretending to be in Connecticut.
5. MA 1, 3, 5, 6, 7, 20, 44, and 202. Especially 202.

Don't forget

6. "Television" outline shield: https://goo.gl/maps/Sk6JZ

cjk374

Quote from: bassoon1986 on January 17, 2015, 12:19:13 AM
The old green filled in Louisiana shields on BGS of which I think there are only a few left at junctioning highways, and not on mainline interstates anymore

I think this is the last:  http://www.instantstreetview.com/2bmpwvz1mhtn2z24tzpgz2u

Or maybe the last 2:  http://www.instantstreetview.com/2bml69z1mhmd2z1pbzoqz2u

Also in Louisiana...the BGSs don't put the LA above the number as the state route markers have.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

bassoon1986

Cjk, I'd forgotten about that exit since most of Louisiana has gone through an overhaul on BGS and many of them to clearview.

The old style LA shields on BGS that I know of left are on US 71/LA 1 at I-220 and on LA 1 northbound approaching the Natchitoches Bypass

cpzilliacus

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on January 17, 2015, 12:52:41 AM
Maryland omits the state name from its state route signs when they are on BGSs.

Usually, though I have seen Maryland BGS panels with the state name included.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cjk374

Quote from: bassoon1986 on January 17, 2015, 10:52:29 PM
Cjk, I'd forgotten about that exit since most of Louisiana has gone through an overhaul on BGS and many of them to clearview.

The old style LA shields on BGS that I know of left are on US 71/LA 1 at I-220 and on LA 1 northbound approaching the Natchitoches Bypass

You can mark US 71/LA 1 @ I-220 off your list, as all of those BGS shields are now white fill-ins.

However, I have never been on LA 1 south of Natchitoches.  This is a nice find.  So that means we now have the only 3 BGSs left in LA with the open state shield cataloged in this thread?

http://www.instantstreetview.com/2b3wfwz1mwkupz2u4zp6z2u

Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

AsphaltPlanet

I know it has been mentioned, but Ontario has probably the most dramatic difference between route route shields on BGS vs standalone shields:

AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

TEG24601

The only real difference in Washington, that I recall, is that on the BGSes, the route shield is a cut out, but is on a black background when stand alone, except for the experimentation with LGSes to make everything uniform.  Don't get me started on how inconsistent the fonts are for the numbers, we could be here all day.

Indiana, uses a square sign with Indiana written at the top, which is omitted from BGSes.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.