Regional Boards > Northeast

New York

<< < (1114/1154) > >>

kalvado:

--- Quote from: empirestate on September 10, 2021, 09:48:37 AM ---
--- Quote from: kalvado on September 10, 2021, 07:27:40 AM ---The question is what are we trying to achieve with these speed limits.

--- End quote ---

In this case, we're just trying to achieve a regulation that doesn't require unnecessary slowing for work zones when they are not being used to do work.

--- End quote ---
More like "reduce unnecessary slowing". even then there are two factors - slowing for people and harsh fines for endangering workers and slow down to road conditions.
There are situations when work zone slow down slow down is needed regardless of people present - hard lane changes, for example. 

Jim:
I was on the lookout for work zones with unneeded reduced speed limits today on a ride from Amsterdam to Pleasantville to Chatham and back home.  Other than the NY 30 Mohawk River bridge, which was under active work even at 7 AM on a Saturday, none would be considered active and none had any lane adjustments or pavement issues that would require traffic to slow for safety.  Yet all had their work zone speed limits in effect.  I slowed down through the zones on the Thruway but much of the traffic did not.  The worst was on the Taconic, an 11-mile or so stretch posted at 45.  Once it was clear that there was no good reason to slow down (other than wanting to avoid a speeding ticket), I went through a good 10 miles of it pretty much at 65, never passed another car, and must have been passed by a couple dozen, many going much faster than me. 

seicer:
There were vast swaths (+10 miles) of I-88 signed for 55 MPH because of "construction" for about two weeks when no work was being performed except for at the approaches to a bridge. They were finally doing work after on rehabilitating the concrete pavement but... this would have been a good candidate for the "work zone when flashing" signs with variable speed limits.

crispy93:

--- Quote from: seicer on September 12, 2021, 08:39:57 AM ---There were vast swaths (+10 miles) of I-88 signed for 55 MPH because of "construction" for about two weeks when no work was being performed except for at the approaches to a bridge. They were finally doing work after on rehabilitating the concrete pavement but... this would have been a good candidate for the "work zone when flashing" signs with variable speed limits.

--- End quote ---

I got stuck in that 10 mile long work zone on the Taconic as well as miles of 55 on 684 where there wasn't even construction equipment on site.

kalvado:

--- Quote from: crispy93 on September 15, 2021, 03:28:02 PM ---
--- Quote from: seicer on September 12, 2021, 08:39:57 AM ---There were vast swaths (+10 miles) of I-88 signed for 55 MPH because of "construction" for about two weeks when no work was being performed except for at the approaches to a bridge. They were finally doing work after on rehabilitating the concrete pavement but... this would have been a good candidate for the "work zone when flashing" signs with variable speed limits.

--- End quote ---

I got stuck in that 10 mile long work zone on the Taconic as well as miles of 55 on 684 where there wasn't even construction equipment on site.

--- End quote ---
And effect of such on true work zones was first described around 580 BC by Aesop who published a work entitled "A Boy Who Cried Wolf"

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version