Regional Boards > Northeast

New York

<< < (1116/1154) > >>

empirestate:

--- Quote from: astralentity on September 28, 2021, 07:22:40 AM ---https://www.timesunion.com/news/article/Getting-There-Will-New-York-change-its-highway-16488756.php+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=safari

My X button can only take so much.

I don't see consistency.  I hear a lot of drivers looking for Exit 23 on I-87 to get to Albany, only to find themselves in Warrensburg.

--- End quote ---

That, however, is due to different exit sequences under different authorities, rather than a mixture of different numbering schemes.

MASTERNC:

--- Quote from: jemacedo9 on September 10, 2021, 08:36:21 AM ---PA changed its work zone laws back in 2014. the "ACTIVE WORK ZONE WHEN FLASHING" sign was introduced with a little white light at the top.

Per PennDOT:

--- Quote ---Active Work Zones:
Posting of active work zones. Active work zones must be designated as such to notify motorists when they enter and leave the work zone. A white flashing light attached to the "Active Work Zone When Flashing" sign will indicate an active work zone. The flashing light will only be activated when workers are present and turned off when workers are not present.

Fifteen-day loss of license for driving dangerously. Motorists caught driving 11 miles per hour or more above the posted speed limit in an active work zone, or who are involved in a crash in an active work zone and are convicted for failing to drive at a safe speed, automatically will lose their license for 15 days.

Fines doubled/jail time increased. Fines for certain traffic violations including speeding, driving under the influence, and failure to obey traffic devices are doubled for active work zones. Also, the law provides for up to five years of additional jail time for individuals convicted of homicide by vehicle for a crash that occurred in an active work zone.

In 2014, 377 suspensions were imposed on motorists for work zone violations.
--- End quote ---

Most times, the use of the white light seems accurate.  Not always. I don't know how widespread these are being used now, however.

--- End quote ---

I find they are used inconsistently in long-term work zones.  Sometimes they're not turned on or off when they should be.

PA's speed camera law blends Maryland and Illinois.  Like Illinois, speed cameras can only be used when workers are present and the vehicles sit out in the open (not hidden by objects) with two signs right before them.  Like Maryland, the vehicle owner is cited and the fines are low, especially for the first two offenses.

froggie:
^ Does Pennsylvania have a minimum over-speed at which the speed camera will trigger?  Maryland does.  Outside Montgomery County, Maryland's speed cameras only trigger when the vehicle is going 12+ MPH over the limit.

MASTERNC:

--- Quote from: froggie on September 28, 2021, 09:47:50 AM ---^ Does Pennsylvania have a minimum over-speed at which the speed camera will trigger?  Maryland does.  Outside Montgomery County, Maryland's speed cameras only trigger when the vehicle is going 12+ MPH over the limit.

--- End quote ---

Yes, it is 11 over the speed limit.  First violation is a warning.  There are some in the legislature who think that is too lenient, but it still seems to be reducing repeat offenders.

vdeane:

--- Quote from: Rothman on September 28, 2021, 08:12:22 AM ---
--- Quote from: astralentity on September 28, 2021, 07:22:40 AM ---https://www.timesunion.com/news/article/Getting-There-Will-New-York-change-its-highway-16488756.php+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=safari

My X button can only take so much.

I don't see consistency.  I hear a lot of drivers looking for Exit 23 on I-87 to get to Albany, only to find themselves in Warrensburg.

--- End quote ---
Heh.  Brian gets an A for effort, there.  Poor guy having to tow the party line and not bring up the fact FHWA's pressure was behind the conversion in the places where it has happened.

It will be a great day in NY when people can tell how far they need to go on the Thruway just by simple subtraction.

--- End quote ---
Plus he's Region 1, and I don't believe Region 1 has had any large-scale guide sign rehabs since mile-based became required (at least not on a road with exit numbers; all the signs on NY 85 and half of them on NY 7 got replaced as part of other projects).  Additionally, I-890 is already mile-based, and I-787 is like those MassDOT roads that got left alone, so it might just be the Northway, free 90, and I-88 for us.

--- Quote from: MASTERNC on September 28, 2021, 10:27:11 AM ---
--- Quote from: froggie on September 28, 2021, 09:47:50 AM ---^ Does Pennsylvania have a minimum over-speed at which the speed camera will trigger?  Maryland does.  Outside Montgomery County, Maryland's speed cameras only trigger when the vehicle is going 12+ MPH over the limit.

--- End quote ---

Yes, it is 11 over the speed limit.  First violation is a warning.  There are some in the legislature who think that is too lenient, but it still seems to be reducing repeat offenders.

--- End quote ---
I'm curious how it will be here.  The NYC school cameras are also 11 over, so I imagine it would be the same for consistency, but it would be nice to see that confirmed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version