Regional Boards > Northeast

New York

<< < (1117/1160) > >>

Rothman:

--- Quote from: vdeane on September 28, 2021, 12:58:21 PM ---
--- Quote from: Rothman on September 28, 2021, 08:12:22 AM ---
--- Quote from: astralentity on September 28, 2021, 07:22:40 AM ---https://www.timesunion.com/news/article/Getting-There-Will-New-York-change-its-highway-16488756.php+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=safari

My X button can only take so much.

I don't see consistency.  I hear a lot of drivers looking for Exit 23 on I-87 to get to Albany, only to find themselves in Warrensburg.

--- End quote ---
Heh.  Brian gets an A for effort, there.  Poor guy having to tow the party line and not bring up the fact FHWA's pressure was behind the conversion in the places where it has happened.

It will be a great day in NY when people can tell how far they need to go on the Thruway just by simple subtraction.

--- End quote ---
Plus he's Region 1, and I don't believe Region 1 has had any large-scale guide sign rehabs since mile-based became required (at least not on a road with exit numbers; all the signs on NY 85 and half of them on NY 7 got replaced as part of other projects).  Additionally, I-890 is already mile-based, and I-787 is like those MassDOT roads that got left alone, so it might just be the Northway, free 90, and I-88 for us.

--- End quote ---

Huh.  Weird that a Region 1 public relations guy got that assignment for a statewide question.  I suppose he was in the MO at one point, though.

kalvado:

--- Quote from: Rothman on September 28, 2021, 03:28:56 PM ---
--- Quote from: vdeane on September 28, 2021, 12:58:21 PM ---
--- Quote from: Rothman on September 28, 2021, 08:12:22 AM ---
--- Quote from: astralentity on September 28, 2021, 07:22:40 AM ---https://www.timesunion.com/news/article/Getting-There-Will-New-York-change-its-highway-16488756.php+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=safari

I don't see consistency.  I hear a lot of drivers looking for Exit 23 on I-87 to get to Albany, only to find themselves in Warrensburg.

--- End quote ---
Heh.  Brian gets an A for effort, there.  Poor guy having to tow the party line and not bring up the fact FHWA's pressure was behind the conversion in the places where it has happened.

It will be a great day in NY when people can tell how far they need to go on the Thruway just by simple subtraction.

--- End quote ---
Plus he's Region 1, and I don't believe Region 1 has had any large-scale guide sign rehabs since mile-based became required (at least not on a road with exit numbers; all the signs on NY 85 and half of them on NY 7 got replaced as part of other projects).  Additionally, I-890 is already mile-based, and I-787 is like those MassDOT roads that got left alone, so it might just be the Northway, free 90, and I-88 for us.

--- End quote ---

Huh.  Weird that a Region 1 public relations guy got that assignment for a statewide question.  I suppose he was in the MO at one point, though.

--- End quote ---
TU is a local newspaper, which likely always contacted local office.
And I saw same question being answered in contradictory ways, I believe by the same person, within few years... So PR doesn't have to give an accurate answer anyway.

machias:

--- Quote from: empirestate on September 28, 2021, 09:31:36 AM ---

--- End quote ---

That, however, is due to different exit sequences under different authorities, rather than a mixture of different numbering schemes.

--- End quote ---

The "urban areas" issue NYSDOT is always spouting about when defending sequential numbers is irritating. Chicago does just fine at I-94 MP 51 at the Jane Byrne Interchange (exits 51 A-J). No one is driving off the road in confusion.  Kansas City has plenty of suffixes without an issue. Philadelphia, Boston, Dallas, Phoenix, they all handle suffixed exits just fine. There is nothing special about the five boroughs. It's just a weak excuse.

1:

--- Quote from: machias on September 28, 2021, 08:23:26 PM ---... Boston ... they all handle suffixed exits just fine.

--- End quote ---

Those were sequential suffixed exits.

vdeane:

--- Quote from: machias on September 28, 2021, 08:23:26 PM ---The "urban areas" issue NYSDOT is always spouting about when defending sequential numbers is irritating. Chicago does just fine at I-94 MP 51 at the Jane Byrne Interchange (exits 51 A-J). No one is driving off the road in confusion.  Kansas City has plenty of suffixes without an issue. Philadelphia, Boston, Dallas, Phoenix, they all handle suffixed exits just fine. There is nothing special about the five boroughs. It's just a weak excuse.

--- End quote ---
I suspect it basically boils down to "we don't want to convert NYC".

(personal opinion)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version