News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

New York

Started by Alex, August 18, 2009, 12:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

froggie

^ The pavement on that trail looks better than that of a nearby still-active state route...

mariethefoxy

they need to do something about the really bad weaving and merge of 95 and Pelham Parkway and Hutchison Parkway in The Bronx. If they used the extra room within the ROW of the pelham cloverleaf they could do those braided ramps you see in other states.

TheDon102

Quote from: mariethefoxy on December 19, 2021, 09:59:23 PM
they need to do something about the really bad weaving and merge of 95 and Pelham Parkway and Hutchison Parkway in The Bronx. If they used the extra room within the ROW of the pelham cloverleaf they could do those braided ramps you see in other states.

The only thing I've heard about it....https://www.bxtimes.com/state-reveals-backup-plan-i-95-north-improvements-to-end-bottleneck/

D-Dey65

Quote from: TheDon102 on December 21, 2021, 04:48:03 PM

The only thing I've heard about it....https://www.bxtimes.com/state-reveals-backup-plan-i-95-north-improvements-to-end-bottleneck/

I still like the idea of extending the Bruckner Boulevard frontage roads to Baychester Avenue and Gun Hill Road with no access to either of the parkways.

Hey, I just discovered a link regarding the Long Island Motor Parkway and NY 25 in Westbury:
https://www.vanderbiltcupraces.com/blog/article/greg_os_garage_and_kleiners_korner_look_at_jericho_turnpike_then_now

Quote from: vanderbilt cup racesSome Newsday readers, like this June 15th, 1966 letter to Newsday provided by Art's Kleiner's Korner, even went so far to complain about the 'destruction of century-old trees [along Jericho]' and claim it to be 'another pork barrel for labor unions, contractors, and politicians'
Um, didn't they also destroy "century old trees" to make Motor Parkway?  Also, if the Long Island Expressway hadn't been built traffic would've been even worse, not better. The same goes for the widening of NY 25. And why is it "pork barrel for labor unions, contractors, and politicians" when these roads are built, but not when Motor Parkway was built?

SignBridge

The widening thru Old Westbury (NOT Westbury) was done in 1967-68. It replaced the original road, a four-lane undivided state highway typical of the time it was built, probably the 1930's if I had to guess.

cl94

Quote from: TheDon102 on December 21, 2021, 04:48:03 PM

The project was scheduled to be let this fall; no idea if it actually happened. Expect construction to begin this spring.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

D-Dey65

Historic Aerials has some evidence of NY 22B continuing past NY 3 in Morrisonville into Plattsburg towards NY 22. Anybody have any more details about this?

cl94

Quote from: D-Dey65 on December 25, 2021, 11:14:00 PM
Historic Aerials has some evidence of NY 22B continuing past NY 3 in Morrisonville into Plattsburg towards NY 22. Anybody have any more details about this?

IINM, 22B used to be concurrent with 3 [and 365] into downtown Plattsburgh. 22B was cut back at some point when NY was eliminating unnecessary concurrencies.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Buffaboy

I have noticed here in Region 5, several traffic signals have gotten reflective backplates over the past week. They're on US 20 and US 62.
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

mrsman

Quote from: MASTERNC on November 16, 2021, 08:51:35 AM
Quote from: mrsman on November 04, 2021, 06:58:24 PM
Quote from: MikeCL on October 30, 2021, 05:25:03 PM
Quote from: storm2k on October 30, 2021, 05:21:59 PM
Quote from: lstone19 on October 30, 2021, 03:06:09 PM
Quote from: MikeCL on October 30, 2021, 12:55:13 PM
Quote from: kalvado on October 29, 2021, 08:02:28 PM
Quote from: MikeCL on October 29, 2021, 06:58:23 PM
Quote from: sbeaver44 on December 26, 2019, 09:10:02 PM
I wish MTA would stop the transponder discrimination, but I'll probably start using the Verrazano both ways now every time.
This right here... when in the hell did this start? I've had a MD ez pass for over 15 years why do I need to pay the cash rate? If that's the case why use my ez pass at all?
Don't you know the answer?
Because you don't vote here, and we need money. EZpass is about convenience as much as it is about rates. With AET you would pay cash rate + overhead anyway.
Well that also is a factor in it but how can they keep saying it's faster when pretty much most states don't have toll booths as well. I understand some may forget or never get the toll by mail but I guess any extra money no matter the means is extra income.

But IMHO, it's a broken promise. It was originally billed as an EZ-Pass is an EZ-Pass and you just needed one. But quickly morphed into not all EZ-Passes are the same and where yours was issued affects what you pay. I would not be surprised if some people get multiple ones so they can get the various state discounts and change them as they move from one state to another. At least Illinois, where I live, extends the EZ/I-Pass rate to all EZ-Passes but it's the exception these days.

Which will likely change the next time ISTHA needs more revenue for capital projects or there's a severe shortfall for operations. It did last for quite a while that you paid the discounted EZPass rate wherever you went. That mostly went out the window when agencies started moving to cashless tolling options, because I think the original idea baked into the discount is "we pay for fewer toll takers since fewer lanes are manned". I do also find it annoying, but that is the way of the world and there's little anyone can do about it. I fully expect that the next phase will be for state residency requirements for transponder service centers, so you'll suddenly have a lot of NJ residents who got NYS transponders to get tolling discounts for MTABT tolls and the like (since PANYNJ doesn't have any transponder discrimination, and even if they started that, given the bi-state nature of the agency, I imagine they'd include both NJCSC and the various NY agencies that issue transponders to continue to get discounted rate) be stuck having to pay the full tolls because they're not NYS residents.
I got my Maryland one away back when they did not charge service fees (they do now) I did have a MTA toll tag but I can't find it plus I used to live in NJ so the replenish amount was almost around $300 I ended up paying in cash or getting billed by plate.

When I first moved to Maryland, I also had a MD pass.  I also dropped it when they started imposing the monthly fee.  I was able to get a MTA tag, which doesn't charge a monthly fee.  [That is usually hard to get as an out-of-state resident, since they try to push the PANYNJ tags which do charge a monthly fee.  I was able to get one by using  my sister's NY address and then later changing it to my billing address.]

Once Larry Hogan became governor of MD, he put in place several motorist friendly provisions like reducing tolls and ending the monthly fee on EZ-Pass by executive order.  Even though MD's EZ-Pass is now free of the monthly fee, I decided to keep my MTA pass, since it is easy for a new governor to simply re-impose the fee in MD, but in NY the fee cannot be imposed without new legislation.  I do take advantage of the lower fees with a NY EZ-Pass when I am in the NY area, but I have to pay the out-of-state rates when crossing the toll bridges in MD.

https://mdta.maryland.gov/blog-category/mdta-news-items/e-zpass-everyone

Maryland's E-ZPass still has a monthly fee if you don't have a MD address and don't have 3 Maryland toll transactions in a month.  I have the Hatem Bridge E-ZPass ($20/yr, only works on that bridge) on top of my New York one, because that crossing is the largest single toll on my drive between Baltimore/DC and Philadelphia.

Good to know.  Thanks.

This information furthers my resolve to keep the NY MTA pass.  I place avoiding monthly fees far over the relatively small discounts on the MD crossings.  Sure, a trip to NY will likely also involve the Tydings bridge (and trips to DE or Philly will involve the Tydings Bridge and none of the NY crossings that I can get a discount for), but I really don't make trips into toll territory that often.  Pre-COVID I tended to visit NYC family about twice a year, but I haven't been up there for 2 years now.

Locally, I almost never take the ICC and generally use I-695 to get around Baltimore, so it is only the bigger regional trips to DE and beyond that will have me crossing the Tydings where I even consider tolls.  But that is not often enough to justify a monthly fee or able to avoid a monthly fee.

So even though I necessarily will cross the Tydings (where I would get a discount with a MD pass) more than the NY area crossings (where I get a discount with my NY MTA pass), the overall benefit to me, who is not a frequent traveller on toll facilities, would be on avoiding the monthly charge.  I am glad to have a NY MTA pass, even though I am not a NY resident.

Ironically, I was a student at a master's program at NYU prior to moving to MD.  I lived in NYC for 10 months, but never changed my license plates (from CA) or did anything formal to declare NY residency.  I rarely used a toll crossing when I was there.  I used it more often when I moved to MD, since I started making more trips back up to NY for family visits.  So I have a NY tag as a MD resident, but never had a tag of any sort when I actually lived in NYC.

D-Dey65

As some of you know I've been uploading a bunch of roadpix from my recent New York Tri-State Area trip in November 2021. One of the roads I took pictures of was Bay Parkway in Jones Beach. I'm not finished with that, but I was looking at some Google Map coverage of the Bay-Meadowbrook-Ocean Parkway interchange. and I noticed that the bike path along Bay Parkway in the West End of the beach runs a little more than halfway along the eastbound ramp from Bay Parkway to Ocean Parkway before making a sharp curve to the west side of Parking Field Number One.  Believe it or not, I originally thought it was an additional entrance to that parking field from the ramp between the two parkways.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.5924849,-73.5331376,822m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

And I was starting to like the idea of an extra ramp from there.

vdeane

The governor gave the state of the state recently and released a policy book along with it.  I took a quick look, and while a lot of the plans are projects already underway, there are a few new things:
-Replace the Livingston Avenue rail bridge
-Resume the I-86 project in Sullivan and Orange Counties (basically, everything from Roscoe east)
-Reconfigure the Oakdale Merge on NY 27
-Elevate Annsville Circle (US 6/US 9/US 202) in Westchester County
-Remove the remainder of the Inner Loop
-Cover a portion of NY 33 in Buffalo
-Cover a portion of the Cross-Bronx
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

kernals12

Quote from: vdeane on January 09, 2022, 09:23:05 PM
The governor gave the state of the state recently and released a policy book along with it.  I took a quick look, and while a lot of the plans are projects already underway, there are a few new things:
-Resume the I-86 project in Sullivan and Orange Counties (basically, everything from Roscoe east)

It sounds like the Skyway, the Kensington, and the Scajaquada are all going to stay.

No mention of the BQE though.

kalvado

As part of a group which spent quite a few hours discussing 3 lines from that policy book, I wonder how much of it is a carryover from Cuomo and reflects what was going on under his rule.
As a matter of fact, LGA airtrain - a hot topic, suspended after Cuomo fall - is not even mentioned.

vdeane

Quote from: kernals12 on January 09, 2022, 10:48:17 PM

It sounds like the Skyway, the Kensington, and the Scajaquada are all going to stay.

No mention of the BQE though.
The Skyway basically lost all support other than Cuomo between when he talked about it and now.  It's safe for now, but I wouldn't be surprised if it came up again the next time it needs major maintenance.

The Kensington is the NY 33 cover effort.

I would expect the Scajaquada to be removed eventually.  Right now nobody can agree on what a freeway removal project there would look like, however.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cl94

The Scajaquada is a matter of no agreement about what should happen. MPO doesn't want to completely rip out the only E-W truck route north of downtown, local political donors want it completely gone so they don't have to see it. This is compounded by the fact that it's one of the main truck accesses to the Peace Bridge. I expect SOMETHING to eventually happen, but it might be a decade or two. Note that several of the bridges have been replaced in the past 20 years, so the MPO is very hesitant to throw money at removing it. Note that the MPO has proposed an expressway-grade rebuild several times that would downgrade the road from a full freeway and create far more green space and bike/ped accommodations, yet this has been NIMBYed away.

Skyway removal died when Cuomo started supporting the "high line" proposal (which didn't remove the bridge and retained it as a park). The entire limited-access segment of NY 5 has been either extensively rehabilitated or reconstructed from the ground up in the past 15 years, so this is another case of "why are we throwing more money at this already?"

Kensington capping would be a relatively easy feat and quick political points with no negative effects. Like the Cross Bronx capping, there aren't many people who would be against it short of those who don't like money being thrown at poor neighborhoods.

Note that the Buffalo MPO does not have the same priorities as other MPOs in the state. Their focuses have been on improving freight mobility (particularly to/from border crossings) and increasing bike/ped access on surface streets while encouraging through traffic to stay on freeways.

kernals12

This is interesting, Cortlandt's Master Plan calls for the completion of the Bear Mountain Parkway

Alps

Quote from: kernals12 on January 16, 2022, 12:10:37 AM

This is interesting, Cortlandt's Master Plan calls for the completion of the Bear Mountain Parkway
Quote[2016] Recommendation
-    Extending the parkway and completing the original plan of a limited access connection directly to the Taconic State Parkway–There is an existing undeveloped parkway right-of-way owned by New York State that extends from the eastern terminus of the parkway at Route 35/202, eastward to the Taconic Parkway. At this time, the NYSDOT is studying alternatives for connecting the Bear Mountain Parkway with the Taconic State Parkway as part of the Sustainable Development Study of the Route 6, Bear Mountain Parkway and the Route 35/202 corridors which involves the Towns of Cortlandt and Yorktown, the City of Peekskill, the Westchester County Planning Department, and the New York Metropolitan Transportation Council.
Anyone know if that's still in play?

empirestate

Quote from: Alps on January 16, 2022, 12:37:50 PM
Quote from: kernals12 on January 16, 2022, 12:10:37 AM

Quote[2016] Recommendation
-    Extending the parkway and completing the original plan of a limited access connection directly to the Taconic State Parkway–There is an existing undeveloped parkway right-of-way owned by New York State that extends from the eastern terminus of the parkway at Route 35/202, eastward to the Taconic Parkway. At this time, the NYSDOT is studying alternatives for connecting the Bear Mountain Parkway with the Taconic State Parkway as part of the Sustainable Development Study of the Route 6, Bear Mountain Parkway and the Route 35/202 corridors which involves the Towns of Cortlandt and Yorktown, the City of Peekskill, the Westchester County Planning Department, and the New York Metropolitan Transportation Council.
Anyone know if that's still in play?

Not sure, but it should be. I don't think any more than an upgrade of existing 202 is necessary; not a fully segregated roadway (since it's not like the BMP is a "real" parkway anyway).

cl94

At this point, just extend the 35/202 widening west to the western segment of the parkway and call it a day.

empirestate

Quote from: cl94 on January 16, 2022, 06:05:56 PM
At this point, just extend the 35/202 widening west to the western segment of the parkway and call it a day.

Basically, yes. Maybe if there was a way do divert to shopping traffic at Stony Street from the thru traffic on 202, but it's not really that bad.

Dougtone

Following the historic 1948-1952 race course used by the first auto racers at Watkins Glen, New York. The historic race course is well marked and you can follow the course in person (or virtually) today.

https://www.gribblenation.org/2022/01/driving-watkins-glen-historic-road.html

storm2k

Quote from: kalvado on January 09, 2022, 11:35:35 PM
As part of a group which spent quite a few hours discussing 3 lines from that policy book, I wonder how much of it is a carryover from Cuomo and reflects what was going on under his rule.
As a matter of fact, LGA airtrain - a hot topic, suspended after Cuomo fall - is not even mentioned.

The LGA air train was always a Cuomo strong-arm thing to make some of his political cronies happy and do nothing useful for getting mass transit service to the airport. A reverse legged thing that hooked up to the LIRR instead of the Subway was always dumb. The JFK AirTrain was not a perfect thing, but it hooked up with both and took a mostly direct route to and from the airport. Honestly it would be nice for them to just really move the needle on getting the BMT Astoria line extended out to the airport and telling the Astoria NIMBYs where to shove it.

kalvado

Quote from: storm2k on January 23, 2022, 02:54:00 AM

The LGA air train was always a Cuomo strong-arm thing to make some of his political cronies happy and do nothing useful for getting mass transit service to the airport. A reverse legged thing that hooked up to the LIRR instead of the Subway was always dumb. The JFK AirTrain was not a perfect thing, but it hooked up with both and took a mostly direct route to and from the airport. Honestly it would be nice for them to just really move the needle on getting the BMT Astoria line extended out to the airport and telling the Astoria NIMBYs where to shove it.
Yeah, Cuomo isn't what NYC need. Robert Moses, city really needs you back!

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: kalvado on January 23, 2022, 07:10:14 AM
Quote from: storm2k on January 23, 2022, 02:54:00 AM

Yeah, Cuomo isn't what NYC need. Robert Moses, city really needs you back!
Minus the racism, I'd love to have a Moses back. I do like the Midtown Expressway but I wish he could have built it around or through the Empire State building and not have it torn down. Thankfully it wasn't. I wish we could build a tolled elevated freeway through New York like Tokyo has.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.