Regional Boards > Mid-South

At-grade intersections on Interstates in Texas

(1/35) > >>

Anthony_JK:
[Split off from the I-69 in Texas thread: https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=3624.0 -S.]

That would be a BAD idea to keep the at-grades, because that would set a bad precedent for allowing at-grades on Interstate grade facilities. The current proposal for US 77 (the intermittent exits and grade-separated turnarounds) is a reasonable compromise. It's bad enough we have Breezwood and I-180 in Cheyenne.

A better idea for flexibility in future Interstate designation would be to allow "future designations" in corridors already in the works to be upgraded.

NE2:

--- Quote from: Anthony_JK on April 22, 2015, 09:12:28 PM ---That would be a BAD idea to keep the at-grades, because that would set a bad precedent for allowing at-grades on Interstate grade facilities.

--- End quote ---
Uh, I-10 and I-40 already have them in slightly more populated areas of west Texas.

Atomica:

--- Quote from: NE2 on April 22, 2015, 11:04:17 PM ---
--- Quote from: Anthony_JK on April 22, 2015, 09:12:28 PM ---That would be a BAD idea to keep the at-grades, because that would set a bad precedent for allowing at-grades on Interstate grade facilities.

--- End quote ---
Uh, I-10 and I-40 already have them in slightly more populated areas of west Texas.

--- End quote ---

That I have noticed, with minimally travelled dirt tracks at a grade-level junction with the I-10 in the Texas Mountain Corridor well east of El Paso.  Though I would barely be comfortable with turning onto an 80mi/h interstate from a dirt track which might be good for 30mi/h on a good day.

Bobby5280:
At grade right/left turns & at grade traffic crossing should not be happening on an Interstate highway, especially one with the high speeds I-10 has in West Texas. There are no turn lanes for acceleration or deceleration at those intersections. Traffic has to slow down from going 80mph or faster down to nothing to make any of those turns. From what I've seen via Street View in Google Earth those intersections are poorly signed.

The other danger is the element of surprise to motorists, cruising along at 80mph not expecting any at grade turns with possible crossing or turning traffic. Plenty of drivers are distracted and inattentive. On a very long drive, like the trek between El Paso and San Antonio one can get a little hypnotized by both the length and desolation of the trip. They might not be perfectly ready to have to suddenly hit the breaks for cars ahead slowing to make a right or left turn, or other drivers turning onto the road in front of them.

I think the short stretches of frontage roads for at grade right turns and no crossing traffic across Interstate lanes is a good alternative. It's not going to hurt a rural farmer or oil field work to drive a mile or two down the road to the next bridge to get across to the other side of the highway.

Anthony_JK:

--- Quote from: Bobby5280 on May 05, 2015, 04:45:02 PM ---At grade right/left turns & at grade traffic crossing should not be happening on an Interstate highway, especially one with the high speeds I-10 has in West Texas. There are no turn lanes for acceleration or deceleration at those intersections. Traffic has to slow down from going 80mph or faster down to nothing to make any of those turns. From what I've seen via Street View in Google Earth those intersections are poorly signed.

The other danger is the element of surprise to motorists, cruising along at 80mph not expecting any at grade turns with possible crossing or turning traffic. Plenty of drivers are distracted and inattentive. On a very long drive, like the trek between El Paso and San Antonio one can get a little hypnotized by both the length and desolation of the trip. They might not be perfectly ready to have to suddenly hit the breaks for cars ahead slowing to make a right or left turn, or other drivers turning onto the road in front of them.

I think the short stretches of frontage roads for at grade right turns and no crossing traffic across Interstate lanes is a good alternative. It's not going to hurt a rural farmer or oil field work to drive a mile or two down the road to the next bridge to get across to the other side of the highway.

--- End quote ---

That is exactly my point...we already have major issues on US 90 between Lafayette and Morgan City where drivers going at 70mph speeds through the freeway-completed segments all of a sudden run into the at-grade intersections at LA 318 and/or going into Broussard or Patterson.  If you are going to build a freeway, build a FREEWAY....not a half-ass "temporary" facility.

The proposal for US 77/I-69E and US 281/I-69C are more than adequate compromises that retain the freeway concept while allowing for access to the ranch properties. I'd still prefer continuous frontage roads throughout that segment to completely separate farm equipment from through traffic on the mainlanes; and I do hope that TXDOT has allowed for auxillary lanes between the "ramps" and the "crossunders" along with adequate vertical clearance for the overpasses for farm/ranch equipment. Better that than risking death with at-grade crossovers, which have no business being on a fully- controlled access facility.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version