AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Author Topic: New interchange for I-71 & US 36?  (Read 27189 times)

Hot Rod Hootenanny

• If I wasn't there, your roadmeet didn't occur

• Last Login: Today at 12:36:32 AM
    • 20th Century roadfan material
Re: New interchange for I-71 & US 36?
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2017, 11:25:57 PM »

Another meeting, for July 11 at Northgate Church (west of Sunbury).
http://www.dot.state.oh.us/districts/D06/projects/71/Pages/default.aspx
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Hot Rod Hootenanny

« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2017, 09:00:03 AM »

vtk

• she/her or they/them

• Last Login: March 02, 2024, 12:35:28 PM
    • vid the kid . info
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2017, 07:54:49 AM »

I stopped by for a few minutes.  I'm pretty sure there was no new information presented; they were just explaining things to the muggles and giving people a chance to comment on-record.  All the exhibits looked like what I've already seen on the web.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2017, 10:25:35 PM »

I stopped by for a few minutes.  I'm pretty sure there was no new information presented; they were just explaining things to the muggles and giving people a chance to comment on-record.  All the exhibits looked like what I've already seen on the web.
Yep. It is a fait compleit. I thought 36/37 would be rerouted onto Sunbury Pkwy, but the consultants there claimed it would not. They also mentioned that there are plans afoot to limit access along 36/37, between Alum Creek & Delaware. Their priority is to get driveways off of 36/37 and construct service roads (like 161 between Busch Blvd and 3-C) to collect traffic.
BTW, VTK, did you notice the (semi-) abandoned service road at the entrance to the church (where the meeting was held)?

vtk

• she/her or they/them

• Last Login: March 02, 2024, 12:35:28 PM
    • vid the kid . info
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2017, 09:23:05 PM »

Yep. It is a fait compleit. I thought 36/37 would be rerouted onto Sunbury Pkwy, but the consultants there claimed it would not. They also mentioned that there are plans afoot to limit access along 36/37, between Alum Creek & Delaware. Their priority is to get driveways off of 36/37 and construct service roads (like 161 between Busch Blvd and 3-C) to collect traffic.
BTW, VTK, did you notice the (semi-) abandoned service road at the entrance to the church (where the meeting was held)?

I suspect, despite what you say was said at the meeting, that 36/37 will be routed on the new roadway and the existing roadway will either be OH 436 or revert to Delaware County.  I did notice that Longhorn Dr there, but I didn't think it was particularly interesting at the time.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2017, 09:52:00 PM »

They also mentioned that there are plans afoot to limit access along 36/37, between Alum Creek & Delaware. Their priority is to get driveways off of 36/37 and construct service roads (like 161 between Busch Blvd and 3-C) to collect traffic.
I did notice that Longhorn Dr there, but I didn't think it was particularly interesting at the time.
I mention it because that would be an example of how ODOT/County would be routing access off of 36/37 in the future (whenever that will be)

Hot Rod Hootenanny

« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2017, 11:35:49 PM »

More meetings concerning the entire 36-37 megaplex in Delaware County. These will be conducted by county officials however (not ODOT)
http://www.delgazette.com/news/61729/delaware-county-seeks-input-on-3637-corridor-development

First public meeting is scheduled for 6 p.m. on Tuesday, Oct. 3 at Berkshire Township Hall, 1454 Rome Corners Road, Galena.
Second will take place at 6 p.m. on Thursday, Oct. 5 at Berlin Township Hall, 3271 Cheshire Road, Delaware.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2017, 07:36:29 PM »

The slow process of acquiring funding for the new interchange begins.
http://www.delgazette.com/news/64926/trac-approves-10-million-for-i-71-project

Hot Rod Hootenanny

« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2019, 10:12:15 PM »

https://www.delgazette.com/news/80114/state-to-invest-8-million-in-the-point
While "the point" (railroad bridge over US 36/Oh 37 on the east side of Delaware) gets the headline, buried in the story is that ODOT will go ahead with construction of a new interchange for I-71 to Tanger Outlet (because developers and local gov't will foot that bill)

Buck87

• Aesculus glabra

• Last Login: March 14, 2024, 09:33:38 PM
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2019, 01:05:06 PM »

That's nice to see, as well as "the point" part too. Both will improve the 36/37 to 71 option for bypassing the Delaware to Columbus section of 23. 

CoolAngrybirdsrio4

• just looking at roads and stuff

• Last Login: April 22, 2023, 12:31:00 AM
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2021, 02:33:04 AM »

https://www.delgazette.com/news/92514/odot-funding-includes-future-county-projects

Gary Budzak | The Gazette

COLUMBUS – The Ohio Department of Transportation’s Transportation Advisory Council (TRAC) gave final approval last week to its annual list of projects to receive more than $292 million in funding over the next four years.

A couple of those projects are based in Delaware County.

First is $8 million committed for detailed design of U.S. Route 36/state Route 37 (widening of the roads and replacement of the railroad bridge at the point) in fiscal year 2023. This $32.4 million project, according to ODOT’s Final 2022-2025 Major New Construction Program List, is fully-funded, with $9.5 million total from TAC, $3 million from ODOT and $19.9 million in local funding.

Second is $10 million committed for right-of-way acquisition in fiscal year 2024 on the US 36/SR 37/Interstate 71 project’s Phase A: construction of new interchange south of existing interchange. The $31.9 million project is fully-funded, with the other $21.9 million coming from local funding.

Third is $2 million committed for a US 23 corridor study (evaluation of a connection between US 23 and I-71) in fiscal year 2022. If it were to be constructed as estimated, the cost could reach $1.2 billion. The remainder has not been funded.

Last is $1 million committed for detailed design of the extension of the proposed Sunbury Parkway in 2022; and $4 million in right-of-way acquisition in fiscal year 2024. This project would cost $51.2 million, with $46.2 million currently unfunded. The road would be in the area of routes 36/37 and I-71.

One Delaware County-based project that did not receive TRAC funding was for the Big Walnut Interchange. The $67.4 million project would consist of the construction of a new interchange at Big Walnut Road and the widening of I-71. The project funding plan has $30 million currently unfunded, with $3.6 million from ODOT and $33.8 million in local funding.

TRAC-funded projects were paused last year due to the drop in traffic volume, resulting in a decline in motor fuel tax revenue. Altogether, there were 57 applications submitted this year, requesting $551 million in funding.

The nine-member council was established in 1997 to help ODOT determine construction projects in three tiers on an annual application cycle. Tier I are projects recommended for construction over the next four years, Tier II projects require additional activities before construction (such as preliminary engineering, detailed design, right-of-way acquisition), and Tier III projects had its previous phases funded over a longer period of time.

The first two projects – US 36/SR 37 and US 36/SR 37/I-71 – were considered to be Tier I construction commitments; the corridor study and I-71/Big Walnut Road projects were listed as Tier II development commitments; and the two-phase extension of Sunbury Parkway was considered a Tier III development commitment.

“As traffic volumes increase, we will continue to be good stewards of the resources entrusted to us,”  said ODOT Director Jack Marchbanks, in a news release. “Ohio’s economy is growing. Safe, accessible, and well-maintained transportation infrastructure is key to sustaining that economic growth and improving the quality of life for Ohioans.”

“Our economy depends on smart investments that make our transportation system safe and efficient,”  said Gov. Mike DeWine in the same news news release. “The projects approved today will keep our economy moving forward.”

Gary Budzak may be reached at 740-413-0906 or on Twitter @GaryBudzak.

Future projects include the US 23 corridor and the new US 36/OH 37 & I-71 interchange south of the existing one in years to come.
Renewed roadgeek

Buck87

• Aesculus glabra

• Last Login: March 14, 2024, 09:33:38 PM
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2024, 02:08:41 PM »

Some construction funding for this new interchange in 2025 is on the new TRAC draft list

Here's the TRAC application:
https://www.dot.state.oh.us/trac/2023Apps/DEL%2071%208.91%20(Ph%20A).pdf

Black-Man

• Last Login: March 14, 2024, 05:10:24 PM
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2024, 10:23:31 PM »

Interchange at Big Walnut, though Tier II has no funding listed through 2026. I assume that effectively kills that project whereas Sunbury Parkway "extension and widening", a Tier III project has funding for RW.

carbaugh2

• Last Login: Today at 05:57:25 AM
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2024, 08:11:37 PM »

Interchange at Big Walnut, though Tier II has no funding listed through 2026. I assume that effectively kills that project whereas Sunbury Parkway "extension and widening", a Tier III project has funding for RW.

From the full draft TRAC list (https://www.transportation.ohio.gov/wps/wcm/connect/gov/c9c8154b-ea80-43ed-bcb5-967698063dd6/DRAFT+2024-2027+Major+New+ConstructIon+Program+List+%281.31.2024%29.pdf?MOD=AJPERES&CONVERT_TO=url&CACHEID=ROOTWORKSPACE.Z18_M1HGGIK0N0JO00QO9DDDDM3000-c9c8154b-ea80-43ed-bcb5-967698063dd6-oR.Ih0P), the Big Walnut interchange appears to be half funded through local contributions. The project is not dead; there are other projects that are higher up the priority list.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.