AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Author Topic: Illinois Tollway Notes  (Read 319681 times)

Rick Powell

• Last Login: Today at 12:09:38 AM
Re: Illinois Tollway Notes
« Reply #450 on: October 21, 2017, 11:09:24 PM »

^ I suspect it will be a while - any major redesign affecting I-55 would have to be coordinated with IDOT and FHWA.  From throwing out a random guess:  June 2018.

EDIT:  Per Page 18 of 20 from one of the I-55 Managed Lane Presentations,, the I-55/I-294 interchange will not be reconstructed.

Also, DuPage County (with Cook County participation) is doing a parallel study of the 294 corridor, so there will be some coordination there.

dvferyance

• Last Login: March 16, 2024, 02:32:51 PM
« Reply #451 on: October 22, 2017, 02:38:04 PM »

the bridges on 90 were designed up to 4 lanes, no?

Most of the overpasses appear capable of handling four lanes except for IL 47 (which could do so with narrowed shoulders).  The bridges on I-90 would require narrowing at least the inner shoulder to fit in a fourth lane.

Don't see it happening now as traffic count doesn't justify it, but maybe in the next 10 years or so.

Maybe around 10 to 15 years out once any adjustments due to the IL 23 interchange play out and if the economy stays decent.

I could see I-90 being expanded up to IL-47 in the next 5-10 years and maybe to IL-23 in the next 10-15 years depending on the growth in Hampshire, Burlington, and the like. Lots of new development happening in that area.

The smart road, I'm unsure of where it exactly ends west. I see some of the "future" poles here and there between barrington rd and 59, but I get off 59 everyday so unable to assess it westward.

With that said, it looks like in the next 5 years, the tollway's focus is just central I-294. However, I really wish the tollway would work on 4 laning I-88 after IL-59 to at least Farnsworth now that the bridge looks like it'll be finished by the end of the year.
I really doubt there is going to be much growth farther west in the coming years. With how bad of shape Illinois is people will be moving out of state instead of farther out. i think the Chicago area was reached it's permanent western limits. Any additional growth will be more south to southwest in Kendall and Will counties. Illinois is losing population more than any others state. Lake county is seeing it's first decline ever this decade.

johndoe780

• Last Login: January 30, 2020, 12:36:26 PM
« Reply #452 on: October 22, 2017, 02:55:56 PM »

Most of the overpasses appear capable of handling four lanes except for IL 47 (which could do so with narrowed shoulders).  The bridges on I-90 would require narrowing at least the inner shoulder to fit in a fourth lane.

Don't see it happening now as traffic count doesn't justify it, but maybe in the next 10 years or so.

Maybe around 10 to 15 years out once any adjustments due to the IL 23 interchange play out and if the economy stays decent.

I could see I-90 being expanded up to IL-47 in the next 5-10 years and maybe to IL-23 in the next 10-15 years depending on the growth in Hampshire, Burlington, and the like. Lots of new development happening in that area.

The smart road, I'm unsure of where it exactly ends west. I see some of the "future" poles here and there between barrington rd and 59, but I get off 59 everyday so unable to assess it westward.

With that said, it looks like in the next 5 years, the tollway's focus is just central I-294. However, I really wish the tollway would work on 4 laning I-88 after IL-59 to at least Farnsworth now that the bridge looks like it'll be finished by the end of the year.
I really doubt there is going to be much growth farther west in the coming years. With how bad of shape Illinois is people will be moving out of state instead of farther out. i think the Chicago area was reached it's permanent western limits. Any additional growth will be more south to southwest in Kendall and Will counties. Illinois is losing population more than any others state. Lake county is seeing it's first decline ever this decade.

Have you been to Western Kane county i.e. South Elgin, Burlington and the like?

Brandon

• Stop making sense

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 07:52:25 PM
« Reply #453 on: October 22, 2017, 02:56:34 PM »

I have, but we're growing much faster down here.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

johndoe780

« Reply #454 on: October 22, 2017, 03:00:49 PM »

I have, but we're growing much faster down here.

Not denying that, will county is getting incredible industrial development lately therefore truck traffic.

The growth on 80 and 57 has really been picking up in the past year or two

Rick Powell

• Last Login: Today at 12:09:38 AM
« Reply #455 on: October 22, 2017, 04:48:03 PM »

Kane, Kendall and Will are growing while most other counties in IL are losing population. Numerically, Kane is gaining the most population in recent years, but Will is growing the most industry and jobs while Kane and Kendall’s population growth consists of more workers that travel east to their jobs. I-80 is a mess anymore, I can’t depend on it to catch the Metra between 7 and 8 AM; sometimes it flows fairly free and other times it is a parking lot.

johndoe780

« Reply #456 on: October 22, 2017, 08:28:05 PM »

Kane, Kendall and Will are growing while most other counties in IL are losing population. Numerically, Kane is gaining the most population in recent years, but Will is growing the most industry and jobs while Kane and Kendall’s population growth consists of more workers that travel east to their jobs. I-80 is a mess anymore, I can’t depend on it to catch the Metra between 7 and 8 AM; sometimes it flows fairly free and other times it is a parking lot.

Cook county is essentially built out as is dupage. Very little developable land left in dupage.

Lake county seriously lacks proper highway infrastructure. Hard to have industry in North West lake county when your only highway is 294 and their southern neighbors refuse any fix

dvferyance

• Last Login: March 16, 2024, 02:32:51 PM
« Reply #457 on: October 23, 2017, 07:36:13 PM »

Overall I would say Chicago's freeways are mostly up to date except for I-80 in Will County. Compare that to the very outdated Milwaukee area freeways that even in 2017 are still just 2 lanes in some places.

ChiMilNet

• Last Login: March 17, 2024, 08:48:36 PM
    • ChiMil Photos
« Reply #458 on: October 23, 2017, 09:31:28 PM »

Overall I would say Chicago's freeways are mostly up to date except for I-80 in Will County. Compare that to the very outdated Milwaukee area freeways that even in 2017 are still just 2 lanes in some places.

Except also I-290 (Eisenhower Expressway) between I-294 and Central Ave (left hand exits), I-55 (Stevenson Expressway) anywhere East/North of I-355 (why didn't they add a lane back in the late 90s when they rebuilt much of it), I-90 (Kennedy Expressway) between O'Hare and I-94 Junction (short merges that cause unnecessarily bad backups), I-94 (Edens Expressway) entire stretch (antiquated 1950s pre-Interstate design with very narrow shoulders), I-94 (Bishop Ford Freeway) entire stretch (same issues as Edens Expressway). Though I agree it's amazing how freeways in Milwaukee are still only 2 lanes each way in many spots, all of these expressways I mentioned are just three lanes in each direction and are generally the main routes into Chicago. Considering how much traffic the get and how backed up they get, they are very out of date in many spots and very inadequate for modern day traffic needs. The tollways, on the other hand, are generally nicely up to date or there are programmed improvements (Central I-294). Even with that,  except for SB I-294 near O'Hare (which will be part of the I-294 expansion/rebuild), the tollways mostly run well where an interchange with IDOT isn't involved.

ilpt4u

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:54:22 PM
« Reply #459 on: October 23, 2017, 09:49:01 PM »

The tollways, on the other hand, are generally nicely up to date or there are programmed improvements (Central I-294). Even with that,  except for SB I-294 near O'Hare (which will be part of the I-294 expansion/rebuild), the tollways mostly run well where an interchange with IDOT isn't involved.
I-355 can get clogged @ I-88 Interchange, and thats 2 ISTHA roadways

Supposedly, IDOT did want to add a lane to the Stevenson/I-55 when they completely rebuilt the roadway (was that late 90s or early 2000s?), but they were told "no" apparently "from above" state of IL officials. Most of the rebuilt section was built with wide enough shoulders for the 4th Lane, and 4 lanes (2 each way) ran over it easily while reconstruction occurred.

I think the main Expressways are pretty undersized lane-wise, compared to Chicagoland's population.

That being said, they tend to channel Suburb to City movements, and the Metra train system truly is a competitive option at peak times/rush hour, and non-peak times, the Expressways serve their purposes pretty well

ChiMilNet

• ChiMil Photos
« Reply #460 on: October 23, 2017, 10:02:09 PM »

The tollways, on the other hand, are generally nicely up to date or there are programmed improvements (Central I-294). Even with that,  except for SB I-294 near O'Hare (which will be part of the I-294 expansion/rebuild), the tollways mostly run well where an interchange with IDOT isn't involved.

Supposedly, IDOT did want to add a lane to the Stevenson/I-55 when they completely rebuilt the roadway (was that late 90s or early 2000s?), but they were told "no" apparently "from above" state of IL officials. Most of the rebuilt section was built with wide enough shoulders for the 4th Lane, and 4 lanes (2 each way) ran over it easily while reconstruction occurred.

I think the main Expressways are pretty undersized lane-wise, compared to Chicagoland's population.

That being said, they tend to channel Suburb to City movements, and the Metra train system truly is a competitive option at peak times/rush hour, and non-peak times, the Expressways serve their purposes pretty well

You're right, I forgot about that logjam at I-355 and I-88. That stretch of I-355 does need another lane, though the ROW there makes it tricky.

What moron would have denied IDOT from being able to add a lane to I-55? I would make that person (or persons) have the drive it everyday at the most congested times until it is widened as punishment lol. It easily can fit a fourth lane, although we're now to where we'll be lucky to get an HOT lane.

johndoe780

« Reply #461 on: October 23, 2017, 10:28:36 PM »

You're right, I forgot about that logjam at I-355 and I-88. That stretch of I-355 does need another lane, though the ROW there makes it tricky.

What moron would have denied IDOT from being able to add a lane to I-55? I would make that person (or persons) have the drive it everyday at the most congested times until it is widened as punishment lol. It easily can fit a fourth lane, although we're now to where we'll be lucky to get an HOT lane.

Need 4 laning on 290/355 from EOE to Ogden Ave.

ilpt4u

« Reply #462 on: October 23, 2017, 10:29:41 PM »

This may not be accurate, and I didn't save the Tribune Transportation beat-writer's article at the time, but I believe it was City of Chicago Pols -- may have even been Mayor Daley himself

Apparently there were Political influences to NOT increase I-55's capacity to/from the SW Suburbs and Downtown

That being said, if that is inaccurate (and it has been a while), anyone feel free to correct me

ilpt4u

« Reply #463 on: October 23, 2017, 10:35:04 PM »

Might as well go all the way up to I-90 at that point, and rebuild the damn 90/290/53 Cloverleaf. Make it a true Stack.

The issues, with both widening that segment and rebuilding that interchange, is ISTHA controls I-90 in Schaumburg area and I-355 from its Southern origin in New Lenox to the Army Trail Road interchange near Addison. And then from Army Trail north to Lake Cook Road on 355/290/53 the road is IDOT's baby

To widen from the EOE to Ogden would need IDOT and ISTHA cooperation (and funding). Unless ISTHA is to take over the I-290/IL 53 Freeway from Army Trail up to Lake Cook...

ChiMilNet

• ChiMil Photos
« Reply #464 on: October 24, 2017, 09:07:53 PM »

Might as well go all the way up to I-90 at that point, and rebuild the damn 90/290/53 Cloverleaf. Make it a true Stack.

The issues, with both widening that segment and rebuilding that interchange, is ISTHA controls I-90 in Schaumburg area and I-355 from its Southern origin in New Lenox to the Army Trail Road interchange near Addison. And then from Army Trail north to Lake Cook Road on 355/290/53 the road is IDOT's baby

To widen from the EOE to Ogden would need IDOT and ISTHA cooperation (and funding). Unless ISTHA is to take over the I-290/IL 53 Freeway from Army Trail up to Lake Cook...

Honestly, I say let the ISTHA take over the remainder of I-355/I-290/IL 53 in that corridor. Maybe they would be able to actually make the much needed improvements in this lifetime, especially at the I-90 interchange and IL 53 North of the interchange. Maybe something to coincide with an eventual IL 53 extension. Hey, it's all not entirely far fetched if the tollway actually were to take the lead on it.

inkyatari

• Widen I-80 through all of Illinois!

• Last Login: April 02, 2022, 10:41:13 PM
    • Pie Factory Podcast - Classic Arcade gaming talk
« Reply #465 on: October 24, 2017, 10:34:27 PM »

Honestly, I say let the ISTHA take over the remainder of I-355/I-290/IL 53 in that corridor. Maybe they would be able to actually make the much needed improvements in this lifetime, especially at the I-90 interchange and IL 53 North of the interchange. Maybe something to coincide with an eventual IL 53 extension. Hey, it's all not entirely far fetched if the tollway actually were to take the lead on it.

I've suggested letting the ISTHA take over that section, and re-numbering it 355
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

ilpt4u

« Reply #466 on: October 24, 2017, 11:44:51 PM »

I've suggested letting the ISTHA take over that section, and re-numbering it 355
Agreed. The North-South Corridor from Lake-Cook Rd to I-80 should be a single designation, and 355 is already there. And if/when the extension is built, it can be 355 all the way back to I-94

If Tolled tho, would probably need special permission, since that segment of present I-290 used to be I-90...probably had Federal Funds used for initial construction

ChiMilNet

• ChiMil Photos
« Reply #467 on: October 25, 2017, 10:49:21 PM »

Agreed. The North-South Corridor from Lake-Cook Rd to I-80 should be a single designation, and 355 is already there. And if/when the extension is built, it can be 355 all the way back to I-94

If Tolled tho, would probably need special permission, since that segment of present I-290 used to be I-90...probably had Federal Funds used for initial construction

It would make more sense to designate the entire corridor with a single number. I always joke with out of towners that the expressway through there has an "identity crisis" a few times. If they can approve longer corridors gaining tolls, I see no reason why this stretch couldn't get similar approval.

ilpt4u

« Reply #468 on: October 25, 2017, 11:13:53 PM »

Heck, traffic reports on AM 780 and AM 720 already refer to the corridor as the "355/53 combo" or something along those lines. Unify it.

And go ahead and add St Louis, or at least West Suburbs, as the Southbound/Eastbound Control for I-290 at I-90. I believe going Outbound/Westbound on I-90, the Southbound/Eastbound Control for I-290 already is West Suburbs, but heading Inbound/Eastbound on I-90, pretty sure the 290 Control is Chicago, whereas the 90 Control is Chicago - O'Hare, unless the signage changed with the 90 rebuild. I no longer live in the area, so haven't driven that way in a few years.

IDOT did give 355 Northbound @ I-80 the Control of Rockford -- IDOT sees, at some level, the 355/290/53 corridor as one route

In general, I don't like the (Directional) Suburbs as Controls, but I guess that ship has sailed. Already appears way too many times for I-290, I-88, and I-355. Why larger suburbs like Schaumburg, Aurora, and Joliet, and possibly Bolingbrook and New Lenox, can't be suburban Controls, I will never understand. Aurora and Joliet are used sometimes as Controls already
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 11:17:37 PM by ilpt4u »

ET21

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:11:16 PM
« Reply #469 on: October 26, 2017, 09:24:32 AM »

Aurora is mainly on I-88 westbound, then DeKalb, then the Quad Cities mixed with some Sterling/Rock Falls mentions. Eastbound is Chicago/Aurora or Chicago/DeKalb or just Chicago. I-355 uses Joliet, but for some reason when they opened the new section "Southwest suburbs and Northwest Suburbs" were added in. Never liked that
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

thenetwork

• Last Login: March 17, 2024, 11:28:55 AM
« Reply #470 on: October 26, 2017, 10:23:13 AM »

Aurora is mainly on I-88 westbound, then DeKalb, then the Quad Cities mixed with some Sterling/Rock Falls mentions. Eastbound is Chicago/Aurora or Chicago/DeKalb or just Chicago. I-355 uses Joliet, but for some reason when they opened the new section "Southwest suburbs and Northwest Suburbs" were added in. Never liked that

Probably so there wasn't a pissing match of which city gets the coveted title of control city.

Henry

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:22:35 PM
    • Henry Watson's Online Freeway
« Reply #471 on: October 26, 2017, 10:43:29 AM »

Heck, traffic reports on AM 780 and AM 720 already refer to the corridor as the "355/53 combo" or something along those lines. Unify it.

And go ahead and add St Louis, or at least West Suburbs, as the Southbound/Eastbound Control for I-290 at I-90. I believe going Outbound/Westbound on I-90, the Southbound/Eastbound Control for I-290 already is West Suburbs, but heading Inbound/Eastbound on I-90, pretty sure the 290 Control is Chicago, whereas the 90 Control is Chicago - O'Hare, unless the signage changed with the 90 rebuild. I no longer live in the area, so haven't driven that way in a few years.

IDOT did give 355 Northbound @ I-80 the Control of Rockford -- IDOT sees, at some level, the 355/290/53 corridor as one route

In general, I don't like the (Directional) Suburbs as Controls, but I guess that ship has sailed. Already appears way too many times for I-290, I-88, and I-355. Why larger suburbs like Schaumburg, Aurora, and Joliet, and possibly Bolingbrook and New Lenox, can't be suburban Controls, I will never understand. Aurora and Joliet are used sometimes as Controls already

Probably so there wasn't a pissing match of which city gets the coveted title of control city.
At least it's better than using Wisconsin, Iowa and Indiana as control "cities". They're states, for crying out loud!
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

SEWIGuy

• Grid Anarchist

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 08:05:19 PM
« Reply #472 on: October 26, 2017, 10:44:51 AM »

At least it's better than using Wisconsin, Iowa and Indiana as control "cities". They're states, for crying out loud!

I think the states make a lot more sense than cities would on highways like the Tri-State Tollway. 

Revive 755

• Last Login: March 13, 2024, 10:56:10 PM
« Reply #473 on: October 27, 2017, 10:39:03 PM »

It appears there will be a widening project on I-355 between IL 38 and IL 56 in 2018; see Page 12/20 of this budget presentation.

johndoe780

« Reply #474 on: October 28, 2017, 06:05:37 AM »

Maybe they'll finally add street lighting on 88 between 290 and York when they reconstruct

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.