AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Author Topic: Illinois Tollway Notes  (Read 319704 times)

I-39

• Last Login: December 26, 2023, 01:46:08 PM
Re: Illinois Tollway Notes
« Reply #475 on: October 29, 2017, 01:14:26 PM »

This is about a month old, but did anyone see this?

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2017/09/29/il-tollways-could-be-cashless-in-two-years/

They want to eliminate cash collection on the tollways in 2 years.

johndoe780

• Last Login: January 30, 2020, 12:36:26 PM
« Reply #476 on: October 30, 2017, 11:10:53 AM »

This is about a month old, but did anyone see this?

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2017/09/29/il-tollways-could-be-cashless-in-two-years/

They want to eliminate cash collection on the tollways in 2 years.

They previously remarked that they would eliminate the change buckets.

I'm assuming that toll operators are next as it's easier to swipe in and out with a mastercard than to pay the toll operators which take time with dealing with the register and in my personal experience, aren't the nicest of people.

quickshade

• Last Login: June 05, 2021, 09:13:10 PM
« Reply #477 on: October 30, 2017, 12:14:37 PM »

I think the goal is to eliminate it all together, having you pay online for everything.

dvferyance

• Last Login: March 16, 2024, 02:32:51 PM
« Reply #478 on: October 30, 2017, 01:32:56 PM »

I think the goal is to eliminate it all together, having you pay online for everything.
I doubt it because if that was the goal why would they be replacing buckets with automated machines only to rip them out 2 years later? I think using the the automated machines for the mainlines is a great idea. Would not enjoy paying online for every toll. Would lead to too many problems is trying to remember all the tolls a passed through.

ET21

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:11:16 PM
« Reply #479 on: October 30, 2017, 03:09:25 PM »

If anything, I bet the first interstate to lose the toll buckets would be 294. They could then tear the structures down and use that space to help with the central rebuild
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Joe The Dragon

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:19:08 PM
« Reply #480 on: October 30, 2017, 04:22:31 PM »

I doubt it because if that was the goal why would they be replacing buckets with automated machines only to rip them out 2 years later? I think using the the automated machines for the mainlines is a great idea. Would not enjoy paying online for every toll. Would lead to too many problems is trying to remember all the tolls a passed through.

Well maybe some routes can go ETC only?
Virtual ticket ETC only With lots of EOE like tolling points + main line and ramp tolls for cash payers?
Virtual ticket ETC only etr 407 like + main line and ramp tolls for cash payers?

Joe The Dragon

« Reply #481 on: October 30, 2017, 04:31:11 PM »

If anything, I bet the first interstate to lose the toll buckets would be 294. They could then tear the structures down and use that space to help with the central rebuild
Unless they start adding more ramps toll it's ok. Now I-490 needs to be same price as going down to I-90.

As for I-90 elgin il to Chicago add a toll to the IL-59 on ramps and remove it from the IL-53/I-290 exit to make it fair for both sides (etc only added discount is ok as well for entering at roselle rd and Barrington rd to exit at IL-53 / Arlington Heights  rd / elmhurst rd).

ilpt4u

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:54:22 PM
« Reply #482 on: October 30, 2017, 04:45:22 PM »

Go All Electronic, and put gantries at the Endpoints of tolled roads (Tri-State North and South Point, Ends Spur East point, Jane Addams East and West point, 355 North and South point, and 88 East and West Point, 390 East and West point), and at all ramps, entry and exit.

I-Pass/E-ZPass will figure your toll and debit appropriately, and if you need to pay online after, you basically select your Entry and Exit points, and the Tollway website will kick out your Toll owed

Then use the data to make a "Virtual" Distance/"ticket"-type system, where you are tolled by Miles traveled, instead of the inequity of the current system, where some short trips are more expensive than longer trips, due to the location of ramp tolls and mainline plazas

I-39

• Last Login: December 26, 2023, 01:46:08 PM
« Reply #483 on: October 31, 2017, 07:36:40 PM »

That is a good idea, removing the cash plazas on the mainline will free up ROW for other purposes.

Mrt90

• Last Login: September 14, 2023, 12:10:36 PM
« Reply #484 on: November 10, 2017, 09:47:56 AM »

On my drive to work today I passed the construction at the I-94 Grand Avenue exit in Gurnee.  I saw some signs that were still loaded on trucks that were parked in the construction zone that had the I-pass logo and said something like no tolls taken or tolls not taken.  Are they going to start charging tolls at the Grand Ave. East and West exits off of I-94 west?  Sorry if this has already been covered.

Joe The Dragon

« Reply #485 on: November 10, 2017, 10:25:37 AM »

On my drive to work today I passed the construction at the I-94 Grand Avenue exit in Gurnee.  I saw some signs that were still loaded on trucks that were parked in the construction zone that had the I-pass logo and said something like no tolls taken or tolls not taken.  Are they going to start charging tolls at the Grand Ave. East and West exits off of I-94 west?  Sorry if this has already been covered.
Well there is a free trip there IL-21 to IL-132 but to make it ETC only?? I think they f* that up with IL-47 and I-90

ET21

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:11:16 PM
« Reply #486 on: November 10, 2017, 02:11:03 PM »

Probably another testing zone, like the one northbound at Touhy
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

mrsman

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:10:21 PM
« Reply #487 on: November 23, 2017, 11:31:42 AM »

Heck, traffic reports on AM 780 and AM 720 already refer to the corridor as the "355/53 combo" or something along those lines. Unify it.

And go ahead and add St Louis, or at least West Suburbs, as the Southbound/Eastbound Control for I-290 at I-90. I believe going Outbound/Westbound on I-90, the Southbound/Eastbound Control for I-290 already is West Suburbs, but heading Inbound/Eastbound on I-90, pretty sure the 290 Control is Chicago, whereas the 90 Control is Chicago - O'Hare, unless the signage changed with the 90 rebuild. I no longer live in the area, so haven't driven that way in a few years.

IDOT did give 355 Northbound @ I-80 the Control of Rockford -- IDOT sees, at some level, the 355/290/53 corridor as one route

In general, I don't like the (Directional) Suburbs as Controls, but I guess that ship has sailed. Already appears way too many times for I-290, I-88, and I-355. Why larger suburbs like Schaumburg, Aurora, and Joliet, and possibly Bolingbrook and New Lenox, can't be suburban Controls, I will never understand. Aurora and Joliet are used sometimes as Controls already
Aurora is mainly on I-88 westbound, then DeKalb, then the Quad Cities mixed with some Sterling/Rock Falls mentions. Eastbound is Chicago/Aurora or Chicago/DeKalb or just Chicago. I-355 uses Joliet, but for some reason when they opened the new section "Southwest suburbs and Northwest Suburbs" were added in. Never liked that

Probably so there wasn't a pissing match of which city gets the coveted title of control city.
At least it's better than using Wisconsin, Iowa and Indiana as control "cities". They're states, for crying out loud!

I think the states make a lot more sense than cities would on highways like the Tri-State Tollway.

Not really.  WI is a bad control, because most people would take I-90 to Madison and I-94 to Milwaukee.  2 different ways to the two main cities of WI.

For IN, it seems that all roads from Chicago lead you to Portage.  I would prefer South Bend as the control anyway.

mrsman

« Reply #488 on: November 23, 2017, 11:45:40 AM »

Heck, traffic reports on AM 780 and AM 720 already refer to the corridor as the "355/53 combo" or something along those lines. Unify it.

And go ahead and add St Louis, or at least West Suburbs, as the Southbound/Eastbound Control for I-290 at I-90. I believe going Outbound/Westbound on I-90, the Southbound/Eastbound Control for I-290 already is West Suburbs, but heading Inbound/Eastbound on I-90, pretty sure the 290 Control is Chicago, whereas the 90 Control is Chicago - O'Hare, unless the signage changed with the 90 rebuild. I no longer live in the area, so haven't driven that way in a few years.

IDOT did give 355 Northbound @ I-80 the Control of Rockford -- IDOT sees, at some level, the 355/290/53 corridor as one route

In general, I don't like the (Directional) Suburbs as Controls, but I guess that ship has sailed. Already appears way too many times for I-290, I-88, and I-355. Why larger suburbs like Schaumburg, Aurora, and Joliet, and possibly Bolingbrook and New Lenox, can't be suburban Controls, I will never understand. Aurora and Joliet are used sometimes as Controls already

Agreed on all points.  One N/S corridor signed primarily as I-355.  IL-53 can be signed for part of way for the toll-free section (current I-290).  South control for the roadway should be Joliet and north control should be Schaumburg unil Higgins, and north of there Long Grove.

ilpt4u

« Reply #489 on: November 23, 2017, 11:53:24 AM »

Not really.  WI is a bad control, because most people would take I-90 to Madison and I-94 to Milwaukee.  2 different ways to the two main cities of WI.

For IN, it seems that all roads from Chicago lead you to Portage.  I would prefer South Bend as the control anyway.
For the Record, 90/94 uses Indiana and Wisconsin for Controls in Downtown Chicago, but at the Kennedy/Edens Split, the controls change to Madison (and O'Hare) and Milwaukee. The Tri-State also starts using Milwaukee approaching O'Hare, with I-90 getting Madison

Up until you reach O'Hare, Wisconsin isn't a bad Northbound Control. I guess you could argue hitting I-290, as 290 West will get you to I-90 also for Rockford and Madison bound traffic. North of ORD, the Control should be, and is, Milwaukee

Southbound, I have zero problem with Indiana on the Tri-State, Outbound Dan Ryan/Skyway/Bishop Ford Fwy, and Eastbound I-80. Indiana is fine, because once you get into NW IN, one can decide to follow I-65 to points South and East, I-80/90 to points East, and I-94 to points North and East. Plenty of traffic going in different directions coming from IL hitting NW IN.

SSOWorld

• 'Sconsin

• Interstate <Make up your mind!>

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 07:24:47 PM
« Reply #490 on: November 23, 2017, 04:21:07 PM »

For the Record, 90/94 uses Indiana and Wisconsin for Controls in Downtown Chicago, but at the Kennedy/Edens Split, the controls change to MadisonRockford (and O'Hare) and Milwaukee. The Tri-State also starts using Milwaukee approaching O'Hare, with I-90 getting MadisonRockford

Up until you reach O'Hare, Wisconsin isn't a bad Northbound Control. I guess you could argue hitting I-290, as 290 West will get you to I-90 also for Rockford and Madison bound traffic. North of ORD, the Control should be, and is, Milwaukee

Southbound, I have zero problem with Indiana on the Tri-State, Outbound Dan Ryan/Skyway/Bishop Ford Fwy, and Eastbound I-80. Indiana is fine, because once you get into NW IN, one can decide to follow I-65 to points South and East, I-80/90 to points East, and I-94 to points North and East. Plenty of traffic going in different directions coming from IL hitting NW IN.
Unless I missed something in the last three weeks - FIXED!!
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

mrsman

« Reply #491 on: November 23, 2017, 07:01:32 PM »

For the Record, 90/94 uses Indiana and Wisconsin for Controls in Downtown Chicago, but at the Kennedy/Edens Split, the controls change to MadisonRockford (and O'Hare) and Milwaukee. The Tri-State also starts using Milwaukee approaching O'Hare, with I-90 getting MadisonRockford

Unless I missed something in the last three weeks - FIXED!!

I think what you are saying reinforces my concern.  If Rockford is used instead of Madison, then there really is no good indication that you should change directions to go to Madison.  For instance, if you follow the Tri-State towards Wisconsin, is there enough warning that you should change directions and take I-90 to reach Madison?  Whereas if the Tri-State's only control is Milwaukee then there is no presumption that the Tri-State is the best way to reach the entire state of WI, just Milwaukee.

Furthermore, it's bad practice to change the control city before you reach that control.  The control changes from Wisconsin to Milwaukee before your reach Wisconsin.  It would also be unwise to have a Madison control on I-90 in Chicago, if the control is Rockford in the suburbs.  Better to go in order, a Rockford control until you reach Rockford and then Madison. 

Now this is not so bad for Indiana, since all major roads that head to Indiana meet at a common point in Portage (80,90,94) and then from that area diverge towards Detroit, Toledo, or Indianapolis.  And the control is Indiana all the way to the state line, it doesn't change until you are in Indiana.

Another good state control is using Illinois in the St. Louis area.  Since there is a river splitting the two states there are only limited connections between the two.  If you cross on the Eads Bridge you are taking the best road to reach all parts of Illinois.  Then, you can choose between 55 (Chicago), 70 (Vandalia and then to Indianapolis), or 64 (Mt Vernon and then to Louisville).  I still would prefer using all three cities as the control, but it's not as bad to use a state here.

SSOWorld

• 'Sconsin

« Reply #492 on: November 23, 2017, 07:36:07 PM »

I will be driving through the area tomorrow/Saturday - I'll check it out to make sure.

NOTE: https://cote.transportation.org/interstate-control-cities/ This is the AASHTO official list of control cities for the Interstates.  Rockford does not appear anywhere on I-90's list.  Thus either Janesville or Madison would technically be the correct cities to put in.  Note that this list is both incomplete and poorly written.

294 is a grey area since it is a half-belt. 

Keep in mind that ISTHA is doing their own thing - hence Rockford.  IDOT, however?

Many DOTs are not following this list - I don't believe it's a requirement either.

IDOT has mainline cities set as the long distance version for on the highway and short-distance for junctions. Incomplete list:
24: Long: Nashville, "To Interstate 57"; Short: Paducah, Vienna(?)
39: Rockford, Rochelle, Puru-LaSalle and Bloomington (Late add by IDOT int the 1990s)
57: Long: Memphis, Chicago; Short: "Interstate 80", Kankakee, Champaign-Urbana, Effingham, Mt Vernon, Cairo
64: Long: St Louis, Louisville; Short: East St Louis, Mt Vernon
70: Long: St Louis, Indianapolis; Short: East St Louis, Effingham
72: Hannibal, Jacksonville, Springfield, Decatur, Champaign-Urbana (This route does not follow the others rules as it was a late add in the 90s)
74: Long: Moline-Rock Island, Peoria, Indianapolis; Short: Gailsville, Bloomington, Champaign-Urbana
80: Iowa, Chicago, Indiana; Short: Moline-Rock Island, Peru-La Salle, Joliet
88: Aurora, DeKalb, Rochelle, Rock Island (This is mostly ISTHA and it was a late add in the 90s)
90: Wisconsin, Rockford, O'Hare, Chicago, "Indiana Toll Rd"
94: Long: Milwaukee, Chicago, Indiana; Short: Rockford, O'Hare
The 3dis have a little bit of a different rule based on where they are.
Around Chicago - IDOT like very much to use "Suburbs", ISTHA a bit less so.  St Louis metro does use cities (Memphis south on 255, "Interstate 270" north, KC west on 270, Indy East)
280 does the same as 80.
155 just has Lincoln and Peoria.

EDIT:  I didn't mention 180 for obvious reasons. :sombrero:
Scott O.

Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
Raise your what?

tribar

• Last Login: Today at 12:31:09 AM
Illinois Tollway Notes
« Reply #493 on: November 23, 2017, 09:01:28 PM »

Agreed on all points.  One N/S corridor signed primarily as I-355.  IL-53 can be signed for part of way for the toll-free section (current I-290).  South control for the roadway should be Joliet and north control should be Schaumburg unil Higgins, and north of there Long Grove.

Long Grove should not reap the awards of being an award city after their efforts to block the 53 extension. Control city north of Higgins should be either Palatine, Arlington Heights, Lake Zurich or Buffalo Grove.

Not to mention Long Grove has <10,000 people. The four cities I listed are at least double that.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 09:05:20 PM by tribar »

Brandon

• Stop making sense

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 07:52:25 PM
« Reply #494 on: November 23, 2017, 09:33:04 PM »

Close, Scott, but I have a few changes in italics.

I will be driving through the area tomorrow/Saturday - I'll check it out to make sure.

NOTE: https://cote.transportation.org/interstate-control-cities/ This is the AASHTO official list of control cities for the Interstates.  Rockford does not appear anywhere on I-90's list.  Thus either Janesville or Madison would technically be the correct cities to put in.  Note that this list is both incomplete and poorly written.

294 is a grey area since it is a half-belt.  I-294 is Wisconsin and Indiana with O'Hare here and there.

Keep in mind that ISTHA is doing their own thing - hence Rockford.  IDOT, however?

Many DOTs are not following this list - I don't believe it's a requirement either.

IDOT has mainline cities set as the long distance version for on the highway and short-distance for junctions. Incomplete list:
24: Long: Nashville, St Louis "To Interstate 57"; Short: Paducah, Interstate 57 Vienna(?)
39: Rockford, Rochelle, Puru-LaSalle and Bloomington /Bloomington-Normal Short: LaSalle-Peru (Late add by IDOT int the 1990s)
57: Long: Memphis, Chicago; Short: "Interstate 80", Kankakee, Champaign-Urbana, Effingham, Mt Vernon, Cairo
64: Long: St Louis, Louisville; Short: East St Louis, Mt Vernon, Evansville
70: Long: St Louis, Indianapolis; Short: East St Louis, Effingham, Terre Haute
72: Hannibal alternates with Quincy, Jacksonville, Springfield, Decatur, Champaign-Urbana (This route does not follow the others rules as it was a late add in the 90s)
74: Long: Moline-Rock Island, Peoria, Indianapolis; Short: Gailsville Galesburg, Bloomington, Champaign-Urbana, Danville, Davenport
80: Iowa alternates with Des Moines, Chicago, Indiana alternates with Toledo; Short: Moline-Rock Island, Peru-La Salle, Joliet, older signs also have Gary, Indiana
88: Aurora, DeKalb, Rochelle Dixon, Rock Falls-Sterling, Moline-Rock Island (This is mostly ISTHA and it was a late add in the 90s)
90: Wisconsin, Rockford, O'Hare, Chicago, "Indiana Toll Rd", Indiana
94: Long: Wisconsin, Milwaukee, Chicago, Indiana; Short: Rockford, O'Hare
Around Chicago - IDOT like very much to use "Suburbs", ISTHA a bit less so.  St Louis metro does use cities (Memphis south on 255, "Interstate 270" north, KC west on 270, Indy East)
280 does the same as 80.

I-290 is Rockford, West Suburbs, Chicago, and one sign for Aurora.
I-190 is Chicago Loop and O'Hare.
I-355 is Northwest Suburbs, Southwest Suburbs, West Suburbs, Joliet, South Suburbs (south of I-55), St Louis (two signs), and Rockford (according to IDOT at I-80).
I-180 is Hennepin and Interstate 80.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

SSOWorld

• 'Sconsin

« Reply #495 on: November 23, 2017, 10:33:48 PM »

Close, Scott, but I have a few changes in italics.

294 is a grey area since it is a half-belt.  I-294 is Wisconsin and Indiana with O'Hare here and there.

24: Long: Nashville, St Louis "To Interstate 57"; Short: Paducah, Interstate 57 Vienna(?)
39: Rockford, Rochelle, Puru-LaSalle and Bloomington /Bloomington-Normal Short: LaSalle-Peru (Late add by IDOT int the 1990s)
64: Long: St Louis, Louisville; Short: East St Louis, Mt Vernon, Evansville
70: Long: St Louis, Indianapolis; Short: East St Louis, Effingham, Terre Haute
72: Hannibal alternates with Quincy, Jacksonville, Springfield, Decatur, Champaign-Urbana (This route does not follow the others rules as it was a late add in the 90s)
74: Long: Moline-Rock Island, Peoria, Indianapolis; Short: Gailsville Galesburg, Bloomington, Champaign-Urbana, Danville, Davenport
80: Iowa alternates with Des Moines, Chicago, Indiana alternates with Toledo; Short: Moline-Rock Island, Peru-La Salle, Joliet, older signs also have Gary, Indiana
88: Aurora, DeKalb, Rochelle Dixon, Rock Falls-Sterling, Moline-Rock Island (This is mostly ISTHA and it was a late add in the 90s)
90: Wisconsin, Rockford, O'Hare, Chicago, "Indiana Toll Rd", Indiana
94: Long: Wisconsin, Milwaukee, Chicago, Indiana; Short: Rockford, O'Hare
280 does the same as 80.

I-290 is Rockford, West Suburbs, Chicago, and one sign for Aurora.
I-190 is Chicago Loop and O'Hare.
I-355 is Northwest Suburbs, Southwest Suburbs, West Suburbs, Joliet, South Suburbs (south of I-55), St Louis (two signs), and Rockford (according to IDOT at I-80).
I-180 is Hennepin and Interstate 80.
Dammit - how did I leave Rockford on 94?
 :banghead: :banghead:

I-90 to Indiana true on paper.  Leave it to the Skyway to not bother showing it.

Otherwise thanks for the list Brandon.
Scott O.

Raise your what?

ilpt4u

« Reply #496 on: November 24, 2017, 03:42:03 AM »

Is Madison really not signed on I-90 West at the Kennedy/Edens split, nor at the Kennedy/Tri-State/NW Tollway/ORD Interchange? Its been a couple years since driving up that way, but I could have sworn Madison was signed as a Control...Yes, I know Rockford is, too, in addition to O'Hare (the Airport should be a Control - its a key regional transportation hub).

Brandon

• Stop making sense

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 07:52:25 PM
« Reply #497 on: November 24, 2017, 05:52:59 AM »

Is Madison really not signed on I-90 West at the Kennedy/Edens split, nor at the Kennedy/Tri-State/NW Tollway/ORD Interchange? Its been a couple years since driving up that way, but I could have sworn Madison was signed as a Control...Yes, I know Rockford is, too, in addition to O'Hare (the Airport should be a Control - its a key regional transportation hub).

Nope.  O'Hare, Rockford, and Milwaukee are signed.  Madison is not.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

tribar

• Last Login: Today at 12:31:09 AM
« Reply #498 on: November 24, 2017, 09:12:24 AM »

Nope.  O'Hare, Rockford, and Milwaukee are signed.  Madison is not.

It used to be before the I-90 expansion.

SSOWorld

• 'Sconsin

« Reply #499 on: November 24, 2017, 10:45:37 AM »

Correct.  They replaced it with signs with Rockford

https://goo.gl/maps/tMihbCfSFcm <-- This is what it looks like now - they replaced "Milwaukee" with "Wisconsin".

https://goo.gl/maps/J6CZENP5kwT2 <-- At the exit.

What's interesting?  The above say Wisconsin - Ambiguity ensues.

https://goo.gl/maps/HH33qoMdEKP2 <-- this has Milwaukee.

So I suppose anyone not familiar with the area who didn't read a map or set their GPS (*cringe*) will take 294 to get to WI - even if their destination is Platteville or Prairie du Chein.

The above are all ISTHA signs. 

This one (https://goo.gl/maps/FfonSNqza5N2) is an IDOT sign (at the Edens Junction).
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 10:51:06 AM by SSOWorld »
Scott O.

Raise your what?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.