News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Illinois Tollway Notes

Started by I-39, March 21, 2016, 10:08:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChiMilNet

Quote from: I-39 on November 25, 2016, 03:34:46 PM
Quote from: ChiMilNet on November 25, 2016, 09:39:54 AM
This is sadly going to be another case where a nice upgrade by the Tollway is overshadowed by IDOT's lack of upgrades or half hazard job of doing one (see I-88 inbound at the Hillside strangler). I-90 at I-290 in Schaumburg will be another. The newer interchanges the Tollway has generally done a good job of at least keeping the mess off their portion (essentially, showing exactly where the burden of upgrades remains with IDOT). This includes I-355 at I-55 or I-355 at I-80 (which actually forced IDOT to finally widen I-80 in this area).

I wonder what would need to be done in the future when (not if, because it will need to happen someday) the I-290/IL-53 system interchange is finally addressed. It does not seem like the work on I-90 was designed to accommodate future improvements to the interchange, which you would have thought they'd at least done so the construction is minimally disruptive in the future.

However, I don't think they will do exactly what was planned in this document (https://www.illinoistollway.com/documents/20184/96652/2007-10-31-I-90-LAMP-EXEC-SUMMARY.pdf/ec1183d3-55f4-4db0-9998-7d64e8fe8ca7?version=1.0) simply because it would require too much ROW. Though I wonder if they could shift the interchange slightly east?

Some thoughts on this proposed interchange against what would or could be done now:

1. The loop ramp in the NE corner would almost certainly not be built or feasible now since Meacham is only accessible from traffic on WB I-90 solely. This would allow for the ramp from WB I-90 to NB IL 53 to be straightened and to do something about the very short merge in that direction.
2. Instead of a loop from WB I-90 to SB IL 53, why not just make that a flyover (they seem to have the space needed to do it)? This eliminates the ROW issue in the NW corner of the interchange, and the only property that might be taken is the Joe's Crab Shack.
3. I actually think the work on I-90 itself does provide for some accommodation. The merges onto I-90 are definitely longer, and I feel the ramp from EB I-90 especially has a longer deceleration area (probably so the Woodfield traffic doesn't back up onto the mainline as easily as it used to). Agreed, though, it would take some work that could impact mainline I-90 traffic at the interchange.
4. I would hope IDOT would do more to address some of the IL 53 congestion issues just North of this interchange as well. That merge from the six lanes (three express, three local) down to three in such a short period is bad news each rush hour evening.

quickshade

That interchange design is pretty old and was originally done when they thought IDOT and local cities were going to contribute more than 50% to the project. Since that never happened because IDOT funding not only dried up but also became a political war downstate on the funding breakdowns and schaumburg basically said fu** off with that design plan (did not want a 3 tier level interchange) the tollway scraped the plan and the i90 rebuild was put on the shelf along with it.

Once the tollway approved Move Illinois the first project on the list was i90 and they directly worked out a plan that did not rebuild the interchange but instead made sure that any delays on the local roads did not affect mainline i90 itself. It was a big F you back to IDOT who had already said they did not have the resources or funds to rebuild the interchange. That being said there is some possibilities that could happen down the road. I just hope IDOT gets its head out from the sand.

ILRoad55

Nothing to major but the I-355 project is finished, or at least from what I saw on the 75th street bridge. It is now 4 lanes all the way from 88 to 55.

Revive 755

Quote from: quickshade on November 26, 2016, 01:28:27 AM
Once the tollway approved Move Illinois the first project on the list was i90 and they directly worked out a plan that did not rebuild the interchange but instead made sure that any delays on the local roads did not affect mainline i90 itself.

I'm not sure they succeeded here with the I-90 EB to I-290 EB ramp - I think it has still managed to back up far enough to interfere with mainline I-90 at least once already.

tribar

Why is 355 untolled between 290 and Army Trail?  Did that section exist before the rest of the tollway?

Great Lakes Roads

Quote from: tribar on December 18, 2016, 04:34:13 PM
Why is 355 untolled between 290 and Army Trail?  Did that section exist before the rest of the tollway?

That section was built in 1970's before the tollway built the section between Army Trail and I-55 in the '80s.

Here are some helpful information:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_355

Brandon

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on December 18, 2016, 04:43:55 PM

That section was built in 1970's before the tollway built the section between Army Trail and I-55 in the '80s.

In addition, IL-53 used to be signed on the freeway from Army Trail northward.  After the tollway was built in 1989 as I-355, IL-53 was moved off the freeway to Biesterfield.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

ILRoad55

That's kind of like how I-88 isn't tolled all the way through or how the Jane Addams isn't tolled up to the State line.

pianocello

Quote from: ILRoad55 on December 18, 2016, 10:01:48 PM
That's kind of like how I-88 isn't tolled all the way through or how the Jane Addams isn't tolled up to the State line.

More like the opposite, at least for I-88. In I-355's case, the untolled section came first, while the East-West/Reagan (I-88) Tollway was built to Rock Falls before the free part was built.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

hobsini2

Quote from: pianocello on December 19, 2016, 10:42:14 AM
Quote from: ILRoad55 on December 18, 2016, 10:01:48 PM

More like the opposite, at least for I-88. In I-355's case, the untolled section came first, while the East-West/Reagan (I-88) Tollway was built to Rock Falls before the free part was built.
But the freeway part was done that way as the alternative to upgrading IL 2 to 4 lanes if I recall.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

slorydn1

It's funny how time muddies the picture one has in their mind. If you hadn't posted the Wiki on this I would have been adamant that the freeway actually ended at US-20 (Lake St) and that we had to transition over to Rohlwing to get to Army Trail (and further down to North Ave as well). Right after we moved to Schaumburg from Michigan in 1979 my dad bought a used VW Microbus from the Volkswagen dealership that used to be on North Ave in Villa Park and whenever we needed service for it he would bring it back there. There was also an old style Italian food market that has super fresh fruits and vegetables on North Ave in Melrose Park that I cannot for the life of me remember the name of, and for whatever reason my dad would go down 53 to North Ave instead of I-290 to 83.

I also don't remember 53 being taken off the freeway before I left the Chicago area for good in December of 1990 as Brandon states but I could be very wrong on that, too.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

hobsini2

Quote from: slorydn1 on December 20, 2016, 11:55:47 PM

It's funny how time muddies the picture one has in their mind. If you hadn't posted the Wiki on this I would have been adamant that the freeway actually ended at US-20 (Lake St) and that we had to transition over to Rohlwing to get to Army Trail (and further down to North Ave as well). Right after we moved to Schaumburg from Michigan in 1979 my dad bought a used VW Microbus from the Volkswagen dealership that used to be on North Ave in Villa Park and whenever we needed service for it he would bring it back there. There was also an old style Italian food market that has super fresh fruits and vegetables on North Ave in Melrose Park that I cannot for the life of me remember the name of, and for whatever reason my dad would go down 53 to North Ave instead of I-290 to 83.

I also don't remember 53 being taken off the freeway before I left the Chicago area for good in December of 1990 as Brandon states but I could be very wrong on that, too.
53 was moved off when the new Biesterfield Rd interchange was finished. I don't recall if that was 1990 but that sounds about right.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

quickshade

Brandon

^^ Those signs were forced on the Tollway by the governor.  As soon as they could, the Tollway covered them up with the plaza name and number.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

ET21

Quote from: Brandon on January 24, 2017, 03:56:22 PM
^^ Those signs were forced on the Tollway by the governor.  As soon as they could, the Tollway covered them up with the plaza name and number.

What a sleezeball... Loved Obama denying him a pardon. should have went with the plaza name and number anyways
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: Brandon on January 24, 2017, 03:56:22 PM
any one got one of them?

Henry

Quote from: quickshade on January 24, 2017, 03:25:35 PM

Never forget......
Just goes to show what an egotistical sonofabitch Blago was.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

bulldog1979

Quote from: quickshade on January 24, 2017, 03:25:35 PM

Never forget......

We we attended the Chicago—Milwaukee two-day "national" meet in June 2008, the question came up about how to pronounce "Blagojevich" after seeing his name on all of the ORT gantries. My reply at the time was: "soon to be indicted".

I-39

Hinsdale is not too happy with the some of the proposals for the Central Tri-State rebuild.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/western-springs/news/ct-dhd-hinsdale-tollway-widening-tl-0216-20170209-story.html

I guess they really are serious about adding a fifth lane. Heck, according to the article, they are even considering adding two lanes, bring it to a total of six lanes in each direction (probably a little overkill, adding a fifth lane and wider shoulders would be sufficient). Hinsdale is worried about how that will encroach on people's backyards as well as the possible removal of the Hinsdale Oasis.

I haven't seen any new updates about the Central Tri-State rebuild in over a year, I wonder what the specific plans actually are. Does anyone know?

johndoe780

Quote from: I-39 on February 11, 2017, 04:07:07 PM
Hinsdale is not too happy with the some of the proposals for the Central Tri-State rebuild.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/western-springs/news/ct-dhd-hinsdale-tollway-widening-tl-0216-20170209-story.html

I guess they really are serious about adding a fifth lane. Heck, according to the article, they are even considering adding two lanes, bring it to a total of six lanes in each direction (probably a little overkill, adding a fifth lane and wider shoulders would be sufficient). Hinsdale is worried about how that will encroach on people's backyards as well as the possible removal of the Hinsdale Oasis.

I haven't seen any new updates about the Central Tri-State rebuild in over a year, I wonder what the specific plans actually are. Does anyone know?

Didn't specify whether the hinsdale oasis closure would be permanent or temporary. Glad to see at least Western Springs and Indian springs are being realistic, not surprised that Hinsdale is throwing a fit.

They did say that the tollway is looking into adding a bus lane for pace, so that could be what they mean by "two additional lanes."

I just wish they could fix the mess that is 294/290/88.

Revive 755

Quote from: johndoe780 on February 12, 2017, 12:57:28 AM

I have a feeling the 294/290/88 interchange is going to be a disappointment similar to how the I-90/I-290/IL 53 interchange is/was with the I-90 rebuild.

quickshade

I know they don't like it, but I think they need to realize that this is better for the whole as far as traffic is concerned and needs to happen.

As far as lost revenue, 500k a year is a lot of money but not to the tollway. I'd say have the tollway calculate that into the budget as something like 250k for each year of construction, that coupled with all the workers being in that area buying lunches, drinks, and other things should balance out what they miss from the oasis.

dzlsabe

Quote from: johndoe780 on February 12, 2017, 12:57:28 AM

Gee, maybe if we wish really hard?
I wish five sided stars were six.

"They" (IDOT and ISTHA) have not yet figured out who is in charge of mess Strangler, let alone what to do about it.

Widening the TriState again, or HOVing the Ike are the current salami slabs thrown at it.
ILs mantra..the beatings will continue until the morale improves but Expect Delays is good too. Seems some are happy that Chicago/land remains miserable. Status quo is often asinine...Always feel free to use a dictionary as I tend to offend younger or more sensitive viewers. Thanx Pythagoras. :rofl:

ILRoad55

When will the rebuild probably start?

I hope they can add a couple new ramps. They can fit a ramp at Cork Ave right before the LaGrange/Archer interchange

I-39

Quote from: ILRoad55 on February 12, 2017, 01:56:48 PM
When will the rebuild probably start?

I hope they can add a couple new ramps. They can fit a ramp at Cork Ave right before the LaGrange/Archer interchange

It will take place from 2020-2022, according to the Tollway. We should know the final master plan sometime this year. I know I'm really curious to see what they have planned, and whether or not they'll add a fifth lane.

It does look like both the O'Hare and Hinsdale Oasis will be on the chopping block though. Oh well.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.