AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Author Topic: Illinois Tollway Notes  (Read 319650 times)

ET21

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:11:16 PM
Re: Illinois Tollway Notes
« Reply #400 on: August 28, 2017, 04:50:31 PM »

I think about the only way you could keep an Oasis on the Central Tri-State, after the rebuild/widen, would be to place it at one of the existing Toll Booth sites (plenty of ROW -- especially a "both ways" toll gate like Cermak), and then go All-Electronic Tolling with gantries at other locations

I think both the Hinsdale and O'Hare Oases are done, with this project. Just not gonna be room

Come on, the O'Hare Oasis is really there, for Visitors to buy gas on the way back to return the Rental Car at the Airport, right? :P

Probably why Gas Stations remain from what is left of the Des Plaines Oasis, as it serves the same purpose on I-90

Out of the two if you were going to keep one, I'd keep the Hinsdale one for a $$$ sake. Technically you do get I-55 traffic as well since there is enough room to merge over from the right lane of the ramp. But space is at a premium so likely they will be demolished
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

johndoe780

• Last Login: January 30, 2020, 12:36:26 PM
« Reply #401 on: August 28, 2017, 05:34:22 PM »

Keep the 7-elevens and ditch the oasii/oasises?

I thought they were getting rid of the 7-eleven on 90 once 490 gets built?

I-39

• Last Login: December 26, 2023, 01:46:08 PM
« Reply #402 on: August 28, 2017, 07:41:34 PM »

I think about the only way you could keep an Oasis on the Central Tri-State, after the rebuild/widen, would be to place it at one of the existing Toll Booth sites (plenty of ROW -- especially a "both ways" toll gate like Cermak), and then go All-Electronic Tolling with gantries at other locations

I think both the Hinsdale and O'Hare Oases are done, with this project. Just not gonna be room

Come on, the O'Hare Oasis is really there, for Visitors to buy gas on the way back to return the Rental Car at the Airport, right? :P

Probably why Gas Stations remain from what is left of the Des Plaines Oasis, as it serves the same purpose on I-90

Out of the two if you were going to keep one, I'd keep the Hinsdale one for a $$$ sake. Technically you do get I-55 traffic as well since there is enough room to merge over from the right lane of the ramp. But space is at a premium so likely they will be demolished

Or, consolidate them both at the current site of the Cermak Toll Plaza?

I-39

« Reply #403 on: August 28, 2017, 07:42:04 PM »

Keep the 7-elevens and ditch the oasii/oasises?

I thought they were getting rid of the 7-eleven on 90 once 490 gets built?

They are getting rid of them.

Joe The Dragon

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:19:08 PM
« Reply #404 on: August 28, 2017, 08:57:43 PM »

Is there an long term view to moving the full tollway system to some ETC only system with an mix of the EOE and ETR 407 set ups?

As why are IL-59 and beverly east on ramps still free but the old free east ramps at barrington road and roselle rd are now tolled. They should toll  IL-59 and Beverly and make the I-290 /IL-53 exit free.

johndoe780

« Reply #405 on: August 28, 2017, 09:59:53 PM »

Is there an long term view to moving the full tollway system to some ETC only system with an mix of the EOE and ETR 407 set ups?

As why are IL-59 and beverly east on ramps still free but the old free east ramps at barrington road and roselle rd are now tolled. They should toll  IL-59 and Beverly and make the I-290 /IL-53 exit free.

IDOT reconstructed IL-59 and beverly back in the 90's. ITHSA didn't even touch the two roads during the re-construction.

ITHSA split the cost with IDOT and cook county to help fund the new interchange. I imagine ITHSA put tolls on the east ramps at barrington and roselle to help fund the costs of their share.

Joe The Dragon

« Reply #406 on: August 29, 2017, 12:03:51 AM »

IDOT reconstructed IL-59 and beverly back in the 90's. ITHSA didn't even touch the two roads during the re-construction.

ITHSA split the cost with IDOT and cook county to help fund the new interchange. I imagine ITHSA put tolls on the east ramps at barrington and roselle to help fund the costs of their share.

If they where to toll the ramps then it can be fair both ways and they can detoll the I-290/IL-53 ramps.

Befor the de tolling the on ramp from I-290/Il-53 alot of exits where free. To exit barrington road, roselle,IL-59 and beverly was free

ilpt4u

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:54:22 PM
« Reply #407 on: August 29, 2017, 12:41:13 AM »

From a "fairness" standpoint, the ISTHA could/should go All Electronic, and do, essentially, Ticket-based/Mileage-based tolling, based on Entrance and Exit on the System.

Get rid of Mainline gantries, except on Endpoints, and have gantries at all entrance/exit points

Growing up in Northern Will/Southern DuPage counties, it was always weird to me that the toll you pay on I-355 has little to do with distance traveled, but simply what exit and entrance combination. Going from 75th St to 63rd St? 75 cents. Going from 75th St to Rt 59 on I-88? Still 75 cents. Going from 75th St to Butterfield/Rt 56? $1.20

I-Pass/EZ Pass makes it doable to do a true Distance-based system, more similar to the old fashioned "Ticket" systems you have going East in IN, OH, PA, NJ, NY, etc. And ISTHA already does Tolling by Plate, and has their website set up to allow Users without I-Pass/EZ Pass to pay online before getting a violation notice, too. Wouldn't be that much more a jump to go All Electronic

johndoe780

« Reply #408 on: August 29, 2017, 12:48:10 AM »

If they where to toll the ramps then it can be fair both ways and they can detoll the I-290/IL-53 ramps.

Befor the de tolling the on ramp from I-290/Il-53 alot of exits where free. To exit barrington road, roselle,IL-59 and beverly was free

Not sure how many people get on from IL-59, or even Barrington or Roselle just to get off I-290/IL-53. I imagine most of those guys at heading to either the Kennedy or the Tri-state at that point.

Joe The Dragon

« Reply #409 on: August 29, 2017, 02:49:51 PM »

From a "fairness" standpoint, the ISTHA could/should go All Electronic, and do, essentially, Ticket-based/Mileage-based tolling, based on Entrance and Exit on the System.

Get rid of Mainline gantries, except on Endpoints, and have gantries at all entrance/exit points

Growing up in Northern Will/Southern DuPage counties, it was always weird to me that the toll you pay on I-355 has little to do with distance traveled, but simply what exit and entrance combination. Going from 75th St to 63rd St? 75 cents. Going from 75th St to Rt 59 on I-88? Still 75 cents. Going from 75th St to Butterfield/Rt 56? $1.20

I-Pass/EZ Pass makes it doable to do a true Distance-based system, more similar to the old fashioned "Ticket" systems you have going East in IN, OH, PA, NJ, NY, etc. And ISTHA already does Tolling by Plate, and has their website set up to allow Users without I-Pass/EZ Pass to pay online before getting a violation notice, too. Wouldn't be that much more a jump to go All Electronic
well an Mix of EOE toll points and ramp points can work. Even in a ticket system

I-39

« Reply #410 on: August 29, 2017, 07:59:24 PM »

^^^^^^This

I wish I could like this 1,000,000 times. This is exactly how the Illinois Tollway needs to do things in the future. And I bet they will at some point. It would make things so much more efficient. No more mainline barriers.

ChiMilNet

• Last Login: March 17, 2024, 08:48:36 PM
    • ChiMil Photos
« Reply #411 on: August 29, 2017, 09:35:40 PM »

^^^^^^This

I wish I could like this 1,000,000 times. This is exactly how the Illinois Tollway needs to do things in the future. And I bet they will at some point. It would make things so much more efficient. No more mainline barriers.

WHEN they do so... the first barrier that needs to be converted is the I-90 River Road Plaza, followed shortly by the I-294 Irving Park Plaza!

ilpt4u

« Reply #412 on: August 29, 2017, 09:46:33 PM »

WHEN they do so... the first barrier that needs to be converted is the I-90 River Road Plaza, followed shortly by the I-294 Irving Park Plaza!
To be fair, River Road would still have to be a Toll Point -- but if All Electronic Tolling (aka AET) there would no longer be a Booth -- just a Gantry/Monotube, or basically ORT for all Thru lanes, in this case, for all traffic continuing onto the Kennedy. But due to it being East Point of the Jane Addams Tollway (for Inbound Traffic), it would necessitate the East Point Gantry

I have a lot of not fond memories of sitting waiting in traffic at 163rd St Plaza on the South Tri-State, for family road trips, especially around Holidays...of course 163rd St would have to become South Point, or you could even move "South Point" and use the Lincoln/Southland Oasis as your Gantry for the South End of the Tri-State...
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 09:49:01 PM by ilpt4u »

Joe The Dragon

« Reply #413 on: August 30, 2017, 12:05:22 AM »

To be fair, River Road would still have to be a Toll Point -- but if All Electronic Tolling (aka AET) there would no longer be a Booth -- just a Gantry/Monotube, or basically ORT for all Thru lanes, in this case, for all traffic continuing onto the Kennedy. But due to it being East Point of the Jane Addams Tollway (for Inbound Traffic), it would necessitate the East Point Gantry

I have a lot of not fond memories of sitting waiting in traffic at 163rd St Plaza on the South Tri-State, for family road trips, especially around Holidays...of course 163rd St would have to become South Point, or you could even move "South Point" and use the Lincoln/Southland Oasis as your Gantry for the South End of the Tri-State...
Irving Park Plaza will be needed unless the exits to I-290 will be tolled. But they need to keep Irving Park Plaza / Devon avenue toll same price as I-490 for I-294 to/from I-90.

I-490 being OTA only will be the start of the end.

Now they can have an mixed system where cash pays fixed rates.
ETC get's ERT 407 / virtual ticketing there are few points when pay this toll and then exit X is lower then just X on it's own or even after main toll point Y the next 1-X exits have an varying refund ETC only.  There are ETC systems like that (mainly built out before ETC).

The EOE was added to an free road and local exits on the new toll part may be some what based on an pre TOLL plan or just they did not want one road to be mixed ERT 407 / other part tolling point. And the needed to keep a few free exits at I-290.

ChiMilNet

• ChiMil Photos
« Reply #414 on: August 31, 2017, 12:18:35 AM »

Irving Park Plaza will be needed unless the exits to I-290 will be tolled. But they need to keep Irving Park Plaza / Devon avenue toll same price as I-490 for I-294 to/from I-90.

I-490 being OTA only will be the start of the end.

Now they can have an mixed system where cash pays fixed rates.
ETC get's ERT 407 / virtual ticketing there are few points when pay this toll and then exit X is lower then just X on it's own or even after main toll point Y the next 1-X exits have an varying refund ETC only.  There are ETC systems like that (mainly built out before ETC).

The EOE was added to an free road and local exits on the new toll part may be some what based on an pre TOLL plan or just they did not want one road to be mixed ERT 407 / other part tolling point. And the needed to keep a few free exits at I-290.

Agreed that Irving Park and River Road Plazas will be needed either way, I just say they should be the first two candidates for complete ORT conversion (i.e. get rid of the cash lanes). Not having the added merge at both points would open traffic to be so much smoother.

ET21

« Reply #415 on: September 05, 2017, 08:37:17 AM »

The white LED lighting has begun to invade parts of 294, mainly from 95th street southward. Some orange lights are intermixed every so often

Clinched:

tdindy88

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 08:34:27 PM
« Reply #416 on: September 05, 2017, 04:25:44 PM »

I just got back from the Chicago area which involved seeing I-90 from the Kennedy up to US 20 and back to I-290 as well as a clinch of I-355. While I was prepared for all six mainline barriers that I came across (I went ahead and just paid cash at each booth) I was not prepared for the toll to get from EB I-90 to SB I-290 since I recall going through a barrier a while back ago. Luckily I had enough for the 60 cents to pay in change. Granted this is much better than what I went through this morning on the Indiana Toll Road going back to I-65. I'm pretty sure I went up to broken machine which didn't even tell me what I was owed. But thanks to the light traffic I was able to back up and go to the next lane which had a working automated machine to pay. For all the recent talk about Indiana being a better state than Illinois this is one department you clearly have us beat in.

I-90 is an impressive highway for its stretch, I was surprised to see FHWA font being used on part of the highway whereas I'm sure I've seen Clearview used at least 95% along the rest of the tollways I've been on. I'm assuming it's because of the decision regarding the use of that font in the previous years.

Great Lakes Roads

• Always gotta stop at a Buc-ee's!

• Last Login: Today at 03:23:20 AM
« Reply #417 on: September 05, 2017, 08:04:03 PM »

ilpt4u

« Reply #418 on: September 05, 2017, 08:21:55 PM »

Starting on January 1, 2018, the Illinois Tollway will crack down on people who has one transponder for multiple vehicles...

Article:
http://www.dailyherald.com/news/20170904/no-transponder-i-pass-users-could-see-tolls-double-in-2018-if-they-buck-the-system
http://abc7chicago.com/traffic/illinois-tollway-ending-discounts-for-registered-i-pass-users-without-transponders/2374959/
So how will ISTHA handle misreads?

Will all Toll By Plate transactions be billed at the Cash rate, even if the I-Pass is in place properly and in the vehicle?

Great Lakes Roads

• Always gotta stop at a Buc-ee's!

• Last Login: Today at 03:23:20 AM
« Reply #419 on: September 20, 2017, 09:57:33 PM »

Full interchange coming soon to I-88 at IL 47... Similar project to I-90 at IL 47 but opposite... can't wait!!  :clap: :clap: :clap:

Article:
http://www.dailyherald.com/news/20170920/full-interchange-at-route-47-and-i-88-moves-ahead

ET21

« Reply #420 on: September 21, 2017, 08:25:24 AM »

Full interchange coming soon to I-88 at IL 47... Similar project to I-90 at IL 47 but opposite... can't wait!!  :clap: :clap: :clap:

Article:
http://www.dailyherald.com/news/20170920/full-interchange-at-route-47-and-i-88-moves-ahead

Sweet!

Clinched:

Brandon

• Stop making sense

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 07:52:25 PM
« Reply #421 on: September 21, 2017, 09:25:17 AM »

Article:

Should be just a simple diamond there.  IIRC, ISTHA already owns the land for it.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Rick Powell

• Last Login: Today at 12:09:38 AM
« Reply #422 on: September 21, 2017, 11:38:07 AM »

Article:

Should be just a simple diamond there.  IIRC, ISTHA already owns the land for it.

Preferred Alternative has a N to W loop, otherwise it is a conventional diamond. http://www.sugargroveinterchange.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/CAG-5-Preferred-Alternative-Exhibit.pdf

ChiMilNet

• ChiMil Photos
« Reply #423 on: September 24, 2017, 03:43:57 PM »

Article:

Preferred Alternative has a N to W loop, otherwise it is a conventional diamond. http://www.sugargroveinterchange.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/CAG-5-Preferred-Alternative-Exhibit.pdf

I wonder if this might lead to eventual widening of I-88 out to IL-47. With that, I wonder if there ever might be an additional interchange built between DeKalb and Sugar Grove. Western Kane County/Eastern DeKalb County could very well benefit from one. I know something like this would be years out, but it just seems silly to have such a long distance between interchanges while still technically on the edge of the collar counties.

ET21

« Reply #424 on: September 24, 2017, 05:47:38 PM »

Article:

I wonder if this might lead to eventual widening of I-88 out to IL-47. With that, I wonder if there ever might be an additional interchange built between DeKalb and Sugar Grove. Western Kane County/Eastern DeKalb County could very well benefit from one. I know something like this would be years out, but it just seems silly to have such a long distance between interchanges while still technically on the edge of the collar counties.

Out of the cross bridges: Dauberman, County Line, or Keslinger could be the main candidates

Clinched:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.